Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) F.A. Cup 3rd round, 9th Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Brentford (A) F.A. Cup 3rd round, 9th Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Wolves fan on WM saying he wants Bradshaw

maximus
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:26 pm

sallian wrote:
aaaae wrote:Although I'm gutted I didn't get a ticket for this match, really didn't expect a sell out and left it too late, I am so glad our team and our supporters stepped up and did the business. So Happy!

On the other hand some of the posts on this site in the build up have been nothing short of embarrassing. "Can't understand why anyone would want to go" "We're going to be easily beaten what's the point" "Shouldn't give Dean Smith any stick for binning us for the money." Where's your passion?

Everton away in round 4 please. Then the same fans can tell us why it isn't worth going to watch. :lol:

Didn't enter my head this would sell out, couldn't believe it when it said sold out.... I could have even run there, Walsall fans are annoying bandwagon part timers

What ever Sound-Out.
Couldn't be bothered with Wembley !

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:30 pm

S.O.D "looked at the Rochdale game emotionally rather than tactically and learned the lesson......we had to be smarter at Brentford.....credit to Richard and Dean for Walsall's spirit...Etheridge goes under the radar, looks a fine prospect" he didn't sound to happy, James Chambers said "That's him being excited" (Radio WM at Griffin Park)

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Almost a perfect day with the League 1 results today as well.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 pm

sallian wrote:S.O.D "looked at the Rochdale game emotionally and learned the lesson......we had to be smarter at Brentford.....credit to Richard and Dean for Walsall's spirit...Etheridge goes under the radar, looks a fine prospect" he didn't sound to happy, James Chambers said "That's him being excited" (Radioi WM at Griffin Park)

Just heard that I/v - made me laugh as he's just soooo measured and balanced...

Very calming influence - might be a very useful approach as we close in on the business end if the season!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:39 pm

coop63 wrote:
sallian wrote:S.O.D "looked at the Rochdale game emotionally and learned the lesson......we had to be smarter at Brentford.....credit to Richard and Dean for Walsall's spirit...Etheridge goes under the radar, looks a fine prospect" he didn't sound to happy, James Chambers said "That's him being excited" (Radioi WM at Griffin Park)

Very calming influence - might be a very useful approach as we close in on the business end if the season!

Yes he does sound sensible...but sometimes players need a bit of passion, animation and drive from the manager...but maybe they will get from the other staff

Walsall fan on WM "We are on our way to stay the night in the Travelodge in Hounslow" WM Presenter "Boy! you know how to live don't you..." :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:40 pm

sallian wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Yes he does sound sensible...but sometimes players need a bit of passion, animation and drive from the manager...but maybe they will get from the other staff

Walsall fan on WM "We are on our way to stay the night in the Travelodge in Hounslow" WM Presenter "Boy! you know how to live don't you..." :lol:

The Bates Motel springs to mind! :mrgreen:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:59 pm

coop63 wrote:
sallian wrote:
coop63 wrote:

The Bates Motel springs to mind! :mrgreen:

thats too exciting for Hounslow!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:20 pm

An excellent team performance. Thought there were no weak links at all. There were one or two close moments in the second half but people got their bodies in the way & Etheridge made some crucial saves when it mattered. We should have made it safe near the very end but who cares. Great at the final whistle!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Fabulous result, cheered me right up.

pecker's out enjoying a run out.

Now, a nice money spinning fourth round tie, bout time we had a good pay day.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:58 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
aaaae wrote:Although I'm gutted I didn't get a ticket for this match, really didn't expect a sell out and left it too late, I am so glad our team and our supporters stepped up and did the business. So Happy!

On the other hand some of the posts on this site in the build up have been nothing short of embarrassing. "Can't understand why anyone would want to go" "We're going to be easily beaten what's the point" "Shouldn't give Dean Smith any stick for binning us for the money." Where's your passion?

Everton away in round 4 please. Then the same fans can tell us why it isn't worth going to watch. :lol:

Didn't enter my head this would sell out, couldn't believe it when it said sold out.... I could have even run there, Walsall fans are annoying bandwagon part timers

:lol: :lol: :lol: Belter

Walsall fans are annoying bandwagon part timers says the fan who hasn't been to a game this season but was clammering to go to the FA Cup 3rd round tie. The irony :lol:

Looking forward to Coventry on Tuesday now - are you sallian?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:06 pm

What a result.

Screw your Dean Smith, being paid 4 times as much but still no plan B.

One of the best atmospheres at a Walsall game for a long time. Singing throughout.

This team just keeps bouncing back. Please keep it together until at least May, after a poor performance like Rochdale, to bounce back with a gritty 1-0 away at a championship side shows real back bone.

Credit to Kinsella who stepped up and you didn't notice him, Oconnor once again superb, as was Chambers - both of whom IMO are THE players of the season, never mind Sawyers.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Great win to say the least, but Brentford are the third Championship side we have beaten so far this season, so perhaps we should not be surprised. We have our mojo back after Rochdale but Coventry is another HUGE test and they have just had a weekend off so we may freshen it up for Tuesday with a 'tweak' here or there in the starting line up. Interesting to see what SO'D will do.

Arsenal at home next please.

I have a feeling Brentford may be back for a player or two.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 pm

What sort of reception did Smith get when he walked out as I think the tunnel is right by the away stand.

Mixed I'd imagine.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:56 pm

He got dogs abuse, but then the fickle nature of football showed through as soon as he clapped the Walsall fans, the fans clapped him back. Make your minds up ffs.

He showed no loyalty, screw him.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Average. Were Brentford. We were ace.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Great result in a game I expected to lose due to smiths knowledge of our players(still no plan B).

I also said I was not interested in this game due to all the smith hype but who am I kidding , want to win every game in this great season of ours.

Should help get rochdale game out of system for important game against coventry, will settle for draw to keep ahead of them but win would give us points to avoid relegation always first aim for long time sufferers/supporters.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm

My first away game for years. I am glad I went and saw why we win away so much...the reason is clear ..we are good!! Lets hope for the same on Tuesday. I don't usually pick out players but I have to say Etheridge was immense,Mantom was back to his best and the Manager deserves credit for pushing Sawyers up front for the last few minutes. He held the ball up well and created havoc and we could have scored a couple more.
A final word on Dean Smith..he did well in building this team and didn't deserve some of abuse that came his way today on the other hand he left this team he built which is on the verge of doing something special so he did deserve some of the abuse he received today :D

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:56 pm

A great result for the lads. We have a very strong team which could easily compete in the Championship - I hope we don't decimate it by flogging off our best players. This could be a watershed moment for Walsall FC: sell off our best players and fade into mid-table mediocrity,or build on our recent success and move forward. Why can't we do a Bournemouth? Who would have thought 4-5 years ago that they would be in the Premier League now? It's time to think big. A plea to Jeff: don't screw this up!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Great day, Great performance, especially from Etheridge, Mantom Rico and Kinsella.

Highlight of my year was seeing Etheridge mouth "keep it, keep it" when the ball landed in our terrace in injury time - whilst also doing a little bit of half hearted acting to make it so the Ref didn't think he was trying to instigate time wasting. fudge hilarious :lol: :lol:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:19 pm

Brilliant that's all I have to add!

UTS

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:37 pm

ive probably been to around 500 or so away matches and ive got to say for atmosphere tension banter that is very much in my top 10.

the Walsall fans today were immense and a credit to the club.

I enjoyed the banter we gave smith he had it coming and I think he handled it very well.
glad we got one over him though hell be smarting inside I'm sure.
if Brentford think theyre premiership bound they have a huge letdown on the way.
at best theyre a lower half championship side but I must say mot of the Brentford fans were very complimentary of our team and how we battled and out footballed them.

this side has courage and battling qualities that could see us have a very good season.
I love a good cup run does us no harm apart from rearranged Tuesday night games.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:53 pm

The highlights are up on the BBC site (although they seem to have selected all of Brentford's efforts and seem to have mislaid Romaine's second half pile driver!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35274336

[quote="the Walsall fans today were immense and a credit to the club.[/quote]

The atmosphere in the Griffin was brilliant, but I'd make an exception for the Saddler who tore down and stole the pub's Brentford flag. Stupid, unfriendly and unnecessary.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:04 pm

sallian wrote:Wolves fan on WM saying he wants Bradshaw

So you can run to Griffin Park and pick up WM then.

Interesting.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:05 pm

saddlertd wrote:A great result for the lads. We have a very strong team which could easily compete in the Championship - I hope we don't decimate it by flogging off our best players. This could be a watershed moment for Walsall FC: sell off our best players and fade into mid-table mediocrity,or build on our recent success and move forward. Why can't we do a Bournemouth? Who would have thought 4-5 years ago that they would be in the Premier League now? It's time to think big. A plea to Jeff: don't screw this up!

I hate to rain on your parade, especially today, but Bournemouth isn't the fairytale some sections of the media want you to believe it is. Their owner, Maxim Demin, is a Russian squillionaire residual in Switzerland. They've been the Chelsea of the Football League. That is the only way a club like they, and us, can ever get to the Premier League. If you want to see how it ends ask a Blackpool fan.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:07 pm

sallian wrote:S.O.D "looked at the Rochdale game emotionally rather than tactically and learned the lesson......we had to be smarter at Brentford.....credit to Richard and Dean for Walsall's spirit...Etheridge goes under the radar, looks a fine prospect" he didn't sound toohappy, James Chambers said "That's him being excited" (Radio WM at Griffin Park)

4/10

Oxsall

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:18 pm

The BBC seem to think "Brentford's James O'Connor hit the inside of the post late on"!

I love the in the highlights how you see him busting a gut to get back into position after he hit the post. In the last minutes of the match. He was excellent today again.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:19 pm

i can't believe i didn't have the faith to predict this one :oops: . after seeing us beat lecicester.man utd.arsenal just to name a few over the years. and play so well against chelsea. i just thought that losing smith we would fold :cry: . but they have proved me wrong. i know we had a blip last week. but the lads have bounced back in style and long may it continue. we will beat coventry on tuesday and we will be in the top 2 come the end of the season. and i know i have gone over my 14 units tonight :lol: but i have faith in the boys :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Atmosphere in the Griffin was excellent.

I was hoping to hear that song deriding Smith, flogging Bradshaw and keeping Cook when we got in the ground but we didn't hear it.

More of this please it was witty and funny.

Good match and great atmosphere.

Also, it was a long walk for Deano from the dugouts to the players entrance at the end. :mrgreen:

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:32 pm

Leaving all the Deano stuff aside that today was truly a fantastic day out. A proper football ground unlike many new builds with a great atmosphere.
It must be my age but that is how football should be. Terraces and good pubs on every corner.
A superb performance with every player giving it their all in horrible conditions.
Arsenal/ spurs/city/ United/ Everton away please.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season