Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (H) League One, Mon 28 Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Peterborough Utd (H) League One, Mon 28 Dec, 3pm

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Can't complain about that win. Happy is an understatement. Cock out.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Another fantastic result and another clean sheet :D

Firstly, the team was set up exactly for the threat posed by free-scoring Posh. They were a very good side and you can see why they've bagged 49 goals this campaign so far. Washington was a threat and his movement excellent.. That said, they were also very irritable and working the ref as much as he'd allow.. Loads of diving and hand balls that went unpunished (arguably unseen by the officials but we could see them clearly enough..)

Chambers and O'Connor were massive again and I thought Preston did very well when he came on for Downing.

Thought Sawyers was more limited in his impact (compared to recent games anyway) but still looked A threat to create from anywhere..

I got to say I think some on here are being a bit harsh on Mantom - he did OK considering he's still got to find his place back in this excellent team from which he's been absent for such a long time.

Overall a superb result and hard fought against tough opposition

Top of the league at New Year and thoroughly deserved - well done to everyone,

Happy new year to all on this forum and UTS

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Excellent win against a good posh side. We had the better of the first half playing some good football but came out second half very nervous giving ball away and allowing posh to boss this half.

this team play some of the best football for many seasons and you can can see the spirit and togetherness running right through, this won us the game today they were going to win.

Well done to preston came on in a big game and looked as if been there all season.
Several worth MOM today o'conner , chambers and milan all good games with others not far behind.

Would have been pleased with draw well chuffed with win only need 2 points now to stay up then onwards to play offs and hope automatic promotion all depends on january.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Fantastic result.

Posh are the first side I've seen this season where I've thought they out-footballed us at times. Some of their movement was excellent and once they'd sussed our formation and widened their attacking play i was thinking it would be nice to escape with a point.

But this team are just so much better than that and are now in a terrific habit of chiselling out wins in tight games. For the second home game in a row the boss's changes won the game. His sub scored two against Vale and his two tactical subs made the assists for both goals today. Love the way he is down-playing everything too.

Chambers and O'Connor were immense as others say and hats off to Andy Taylor for struggling on following his knock on Saturday. Mantom looked off the pace, but to be fair to him it was a tricky games to make your first start in yonks.

So proud of this side. Lose the manager, lose two of our best players for a long spell and they just carry on playing their football and winning games. Love it.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:18 pm

Football 2 Westley 0

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Chambers and O'Conner....that is all.

Up the Saddlers.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:55 pm

everything i wanted to say has been said already. what an effin win. we have come so far even since dean left. i honestly think if he had still been in charge we would have drawn or lost today. got to say that taylor had his worst game ever. and milan was unbelievable today. he was like a greyhound after a rabbit :D , nearly as good as george :wink: o'conner was emense, and some of the tackles put in by chambers :o for the first time in years i can honestly feel that this is our season :D up the super saddlers :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:24 am

What a ridiculously open game, and what a massive win.

I'm glad we have 4-4-2 as an option , but I'm not sure yesterday's game was the ideal opportunity to use it. Sawyers struggled to run the game (something we're used to seeing him do every week) and both fullbacks were exposed quite badly at times. Having said that, Cook & Lalkovic looked a handful for the first 20 minutes and we could have easily taken the lead.

Everything else has already been said - Chambers and O'Connor were both outstanding and despite being on the back foot for fairly long spells, I didn't completely expect us to surrender. SO'D also seems to have this great habit of making what seem like very little tweaks to the team to allow us to go on and win the game. I've still got a lot of time for Smith, but I'd argue that we've kicked on and built up a bit more steel since the Shrewsbury game.

I don't think we'll play back-to-back games as tough as Millwall and Posh, so to pick up six points is a monumental achievement. I get the feeling January could be the biggest month for us in nearly a decade.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:30 am

Agree with everything posted, cracking game and a cracking atmosphere.

One of my favourite moments was right at the death. Posh had been time wasting all game, then when we were one up at the death we had a throw in on the half way line. Westley rushed to get the ball and wanted to give to a Walsall player and no-one went to take the throw. He was desperately looking around trying to give the ball to a thrower looking completely lost and desperate, very funny.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:38 pm

After just a few games in charge SOD has proved to be more tactically aware than GGG.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Our good friends at the Manilla Times are keeping an eye on us - rather an 'idiosyncratic' match report!

http://www.manilatimes.net/etheridge-shines-in-walsalls-victory/236822/

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:22 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Our good friends at the Manilla Times are keeping an eye on us - rather an 'idiosyncratic' match report!

Interesting read!
Do we feature in the Nicosia Express as well?

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:23 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Our good friends at the Manilla Times are keeping an eye on us - rather an 'idiosyncratic' match report!

Well I have to confess that's the first time I've read the Manila times :D

Nice to see our world-wide reach expanding further :lol:

UTS

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:53 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

Interesting read!

Sure!

Here you go...

Οι ποδοσφαιριστές 'Super Saddlerz' και το τεχνικό team της ομάδας της Βέροιας άκουσαν Peterborough τα κάλαντα από τα παιδιά και στη συνέχεια μοίρασαν Westley δώρα και Primark, ha ha! χαμόγελα στους μικρούς, οι οποίοι δεν έκρυψαν useless ref στιγμή τη χαρά τους για την επίσκεψη αυτή, που ήρθε να φωτίσει λίγο περισσότερο τις εορταστικές αυτές ημέρες. Ο πρόεδρος της ΠγτΠ, Αριστοτέλης Σιδηρόπουλος, εκπροσωπώντας το διοικητικό συμβούλιο του Συλλόγου ευχαρίστησε θερμά την ΠΑΕ ΒΕΡΟΙΑ για την επίσκεψή της στο Σπίτι της Βεργίνας και δέχτηκε με χαρά τη γενναιόδωρη προσφορά, με τη μορφή της οικονομικής GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL DEMETRIOU!!!! ενίσχυσης, που προήλθε από τον μεγάλο χορηγό της ομάδας, την εταιρεία Stafflers.gr.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:55 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

Interesting read!

Sure!

Here you go...

Οι ποδοσφαιριστές 'Super Saddlerz' και το τεχνικό team της ομάδας της Βέροιας άκουσαν Peterborough τα κάλαντα από τα παιδιά και στη συνέχεια μοίρασαν Westley δώρα και Primark, ha ha! χαμόγελα στους μικρούς, οι οποίοι δεν έκρυψαν useless ref στιγμή τη χαρά τους για την επίσκεψη αυτή, που ήρθε να φωτίσει λίγο περισσότερο τις εορταστικές αυτές ημέρες. Ο πρόεδρος της ΠγτΠ, Αριστοτέλης Σιδηρόπουλος, εκπροσωπώντας το διοικητικό συμβούλιο του Συλλόγου ευχαρίστησε θερμά την ΠΑΕ ΒΕΡΟΙΑ για την επίσκεψή της στο Σπίτι της Βεργίνας και δέχτηκε με χαρά τη γενναιόδωρη προσφορά, με τη μορφή της οικονομικής GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL DEMETRIOU!!!! ενίσχυσης, που προήλθε από τον μεγάλο χορηγό της ομάδας, την εταιρεία Stafflers.gr.

Very good :D

By the way does it mention Graham Westleys suit???? :lol:

UTS

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:00 pm

If you look closely, you'll see that it does ;)

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:02 pm

WarsawPact wrote:If you look closely, you'll see that it does ;)

I might have to take your word for that WarsawPact :lol:

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Excellent result against a very good Peterborough side. Every player deserves huge credit, as does SOD and all his staff. SOD is proving an incredibly astute tactician. Delighted with his appointment so far. Only negative from yesterday was the presence of scouts from Swansea, Birmingham and MK Dons (unconfirmed) plus others no doubt.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:Excellent result against a very good Peterborough side. Every player deserves huge credit, as does SOD and all his staff. SOD is proving an incredibly astute tactician. Delighted with his appointment so far. Only negative from yesterday was the presence of scouts from Swansea, Birmingham and MK Dons (unconfirmed) plus others no doubt.

Add Cardiff to that too!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:10 pm

kshammer wrote:I'm definitely taking a Cyprus flag next game.

You can get thrown out for that.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:24 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:Excellent result against a very good Peterborough side. Every player deserves huge credit, as does SOD and all his staff. SOD is proving an incredibly astute tactician. Delighted with his appointment so far. Only negative from yesterday was the presence of scouts from Swansea, Birmingham and MK Dons (unconfirmed) plus others no doubt.

I saw a ticket marked with a name and "Arsenal" when I picked up mine.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:50 am

aaaae wrote:I saw a ticket marked with a name and "Arsenal" when I picked up mine.

I'd imagine they took great pleasure in analysing the way Rico jogged down the touch line and stretched. In all seriousness though...Sawyers?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:59 am

1) There are scouts from other clubs at ALL of our games - always have been and always will be.

2) Has anyone considered that they may have also been watching some of the Peterborough players?

We send out people to scout our opponents, too - and to get reports on possible players to sign (on free transfers, of course! :D ).

I don't understand why people make such a big issue of the presence of scouts.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:17 am

So Mantom was disappointing apparently? Is that apart from hitting the post and curling a shot only just wide? And making numerous runs forward to provide options, especially early on? Of course he tired later on, he's not been playing regular games. The substitution was made at the right time or, perhaps, in my opinion, a little late. I wonder when people are going to realise that we are top of League One and Mantom has been a very important part of that?

As for tactics, folks are correct in saying SOD set us up to nullify Peterborough's attacking threat but I also think he set us up to catch out Boro in our attacking. From the first minute, they had two men on Sawyers every time he got the ball. SOD knew this would happen and so set up the team to allow Mantom and Evans to break forward and both created chances.

It was a tough game and one in which we had to hold on for a period. The fact that we did, and then came back stronger, speaks to highly of this group of players.

MotM? As good as O'Connor was, has to be Chambers by a country mile. What a performance and, to top it all, an incredible tackle that set up the first goal by catching Boro out of position as we broke.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:37 am

A most satisfying result and gritty performance against a very solid upper echelons League One side.

Wesley and MacAnthony are clearly a perfect marriage made in Wernham Hogg.

For the second home game in succession the substitutions worked. Forde played in Demetriou and Morris literally entered the game & set up Evans. Long may this knack continue.

The worker bees ground this one out, O'Connor and Chambers chiefly.

But for half-a-post width we'd be saying Mantom was back to his early season form, and I think we'd have been watching a different game. But we got the result anyway.

Cook looks a different man in a two up top, he seems to have the uncanny knack of winding defenders up without much (obvious) fuss. Over a run of games that may see us playing against 10 a few times.

I'm liking Etheridge more and more, he makes the odd decision and fumble on occasion but his natural instinct is to come off his line, which is refreshing and worth a lot over a season. Can't help notice as well that his two excellent saves were a mirror of the ones he was practising so vigerously in the recent training video posted online. Hope Cutler is on a clean sheet bonus too!

Well done the collective.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote:1) There are scouts from other clubs at ALL of our games - always have been and always will be.

2) Has anyone considered that they may have also been watching some of the Peterborough players?

We send out people to scout our opponents, too - and to get reports on possible players to sign (on free transfers, of course! :D ).

Proof positive that you have indeed been over indulgent on the ale over Cringle! :mrgreen:

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Pedagogue wrote:1) There are scouts from other clubs at ALL of our games - always have been and always will be.

No waaaayyyyy....

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season