Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (A) League One, 26th Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Millwall (A) League One, 26th Dec, 3pm

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Top with a game in hand over 3rd place!

UTS :D

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:17 pm

One happy saddler tonight.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Superb win, 4 on the bounce now.

This squad has real backbone.

Please Stefan do not lose any of these players, we can win this league.

And a word to WM...we go top half way through the season and they barely have a word for us. Meanwhile, Wolves, lower mid-table in the league above have their third live commentary in 2 weeks. :roll:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Great crackin result, Gillingham looking invincible at the moment though.
Looks like we hung on in there during the last half hour or so, well done the lads.
Tough cookie on Monday, a result in that fixture could make the Jan 9th (sorry now 12th aye it) game VERY interesting.
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:23 pm

10 more wins from the remaining 24 games gives us a minimum of 75 points.

14 more wins from the remaining 24 games gives us a minimum of 87 points.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:43 pm

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE....well done to the team especially with the loss of Taylor at half time. As someone said earlier there is something special going on here...lets keep it going. Monday will be tough so everyone who can get there and cheer the lads on!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:49 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote::D :D :D

Good result, I would have been happy with the point. The stats look ridiculous as regards to possession.

Look forward to the reports by the intrepid souls who went to The Den, a place you used to go to for a laugh but come back in stitches.

i wouldn't have been happy with the point, we need to be winning everrything now...we are tiop of the league we have beaten all the top teams we need to start having more ambition, confidence and bravery and bravado

we ARE TOP A LEAGUE.... We got O Driscoll, Ward, Baxo, Morris, Lalko, Brado, Cookoo..... we need to be winning and keep winning and scoring more....if the vans are happy with little then it sends wrong signla to the players.....RAISE THEm UP!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:55 pm

sallian wrote:

Good result, I would have been happy with the point. The stats look ridiculous as regards to possession.

Look forward to the reports by the intrepid souls who went to The Den, a place you used to go to for a laugh but come back in stitches.

i wouldn't have been happy with the point, we need to be winning everrything now...we are tiop of the league we have beaten all the top teams we need to start having more ambition, confidence and bravery and bravado

we ARE TOP A LEAGUE.... We got O Driscoll, Ward, Baxo, Morris, Lalko, Brado, Cookoo..... we need to be winning and keep winning and scoring more....if the vans are happy with little then it sends wrong signla to the players.....RAISE THEm UP!

I'll have whatever you've been on :lol:

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:29 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

+1, but possibly only half the amount...

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Hopefully a bumper Crowd Monday can cheer the lads on.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Well-bRed wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

+1, but possibly only half the amount...

I'll finish what you can't manage.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Great crackin result, Gillingham looking invincible at the moment though.
Looks like we hung on in there during the last half hour or so, well done the lads.
Tough cookie on Monday, a result in that fixture could make the Jan 9th game VERY interesting.

Gillingham lost 0-3 at home to Burton just last week.

Coventry I think can last the pace, Burton and Gills won't but play offs will be fantastic season for both.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:50 pm

The stats suggest it will end up being between us, Cov and Peterborough for the top two spots.

The wild card are Wigan because they could throw a couple of million at it in January and suddenly click.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:51 pm

bangsection wrote:The stats suggest it will end up being between us, Cov and Peterborough for the top two spots.

The wild card are Wigan because they could throw a couple of million at it in January and suddenly click.

Posh lost to Blackpool the other week. I can't believe it won't implode there under Westley at some point.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:07 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Posh lost to Blackpool the other week. I can't believe it won't implode there under Westley at some point.

There will always be surprising results. Our loss at Swindon for example (although it was the start of a really good run for them), or Coventry conceding a last minute equaliser to Oldham.

But ourselves, Cov and Peterborough are so far ahead of the rest in terms of chance creation that we have to be favourites at the moment.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:10 pm

bangsection wrote:The stats suggest it will end up being between us, Cov and Peterborough for the top two spots.

Defiantly can see Wigan being busy in January now Alex revell has been recalled, they will make sure they hit the play offs, I don't agree about gills though, I think they have got something about them to last the distance, maybe a bit like ourself, if people come knocking for dack, loft and McDonald. January is not just a big month for us in that respect.

If we was to beat coventry it could be colossal and I really hope the team selection at brentford has that fixture in mind.

Just hope we get a few good crowds at home now to get behind the lads and carry this momentum on

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:10 more wins from the remaining 24 games gives us a minimum of 75 points.

14 more wins from the remaining 24 games gives us a minimum of 87 points.

Where does 75 points normally leave you Phil around 3/4th

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:33 pm

You need 80 + points for automatic but don't forget they'll be draws aswell.

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:02 pm

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Horozontal Harry wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:a pile of Diarhoea....

I'm no physicist, buy I'm not sure it is technically possible to make " a pile of diarrhoea ". Due to its inherent sloppiness I suggest that creating a high enough mound to justify the word "pile" would not be possible.

I would say that under current climatic conditions a puddle of diarrhoea would be the best we could hope for.

Think through the various possibilities before publishing a rebuttal....

A pile of diarrhoea, can have various physical and metaphorical meanings and manifestations, but on the physical:-

1) Frozen blocks would still be true

2) Storage boxes piled high even in watery consistency

3) Chemical thickener applied

4) Diarrhoea in the metamorphic state of recovery or down the pan of the illnesses early phases

5) In the case of treatment with imodium tablets and the like, opposite of laxatives

However there is another meaning none of you budding medical students have considered.....diarrhoea induced 'piles' (pile - singular) (haemerrhoids)....Indeed a pile of Diarrhoea is the haemorrhaging caused by the strain of acute diarrhoea

I stick to my original point....The British transport system is a pile of diarrhoea in any of its various clinical meanings....along with the government and political parties and public and private bodies and individuals that facilitate its inefficiency and exorbitant prices.... However, I should have cycled the 60mile round trip.... But sadly didn't think of it.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:12 pm

sallian wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I'm no physicist, buy I'm not sure it is technically possible to make " a pile of diarrhoea ". Due to its inherent sloppiness I suggest that creating a high enough mound to justify the word "pile" would not be possible.

I would say that under current climatic conditions a puddle of diarrhoea would be the best we could hope for.

A pile of diarrhoea, can have various physical and metaphorical meanings and manifestations, but on the physical:-

4) Diarrhoea in the metamorphic state of recovery or down the pan of the illnesses early phases

5) In the case of treatment with imodium tablets and the like, opposite of laxatives

However there is another meaning none of you budding medical students have considered.....diarrhoea induced 'piles' (pile - singular) (haemerrhoids)....Indeed a pile of Diarrhoea is the haemorrhaging caused by the strain of acute diarrhoea

I stick to my original point....The British transport system is a pile of diarrhoea in any of its various clinical meanings....along with the government and political parties and public and private bodies and individuals that facilitate its inefficiency and exorbitant prices.... However, I should have cycled the 60mile round trip.... But sadly didn't think of it.

Can't you just go out and find a girlfriend?

UTS Legend

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Highlights (for UK only)

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10110819/millwall-0-1-walsall

(The Football League has blocked me...)

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:20 pm

we got:-

1) The joint best defence
2) The 4th best attack
3) The fewest losses
4) The best goal difference
5) Maybe the best record against the top 6 (i aint checking that up)
6) AND WE TOP-A-LEAGUE

Every Walsall player and van should be walking around....saying We are the A1, No.1, Top Dog, Top Don, First Class, Premier, Numero Uno, King Kong.....and get out there and play like it....and go for 10-0 in each half from now on

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:23 pm

And if that happened you'd be demanding 11-0.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:24 pm

Guest wrote:Highlights (for UK only)

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10110819/millwall-0-1-walsall

(The Football League has blocked me...)

The dumb buck BBC commentary said the goal was scored from 35yards! they need to check their tape measure....it was more like 14yards!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:27 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:And if that happened you'd be demanding 11-0.

Well that is the philosophy of excellence that I espouse ....keep on improving, strive for ever more dominance and supremacy.... If I was a sports psychologist for our players.... I think we would already be 15 points clear of rivals with a 30 goal gap advantage

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:50 pm

sallian wrote:we got:-

2) The 4th best attack
3) The fewest losses
6) AND WE TOP-A-LEAGUE

Every Walsall player and van should be walking around....saying We are the A1, No.1, Top Dog, Top Don, First Class, Premier, Numero Uno, King Kong.....and get out there and play like it....and go for 10-0 in each half from now on

not quite unfortunately.

1 Coventry City 5 4 0 1 1 0 12 6 +6 12 2.40 W L W W W
2 Walsall 5 3 2 0 2 1 8 4 +4 11 2.20 W D D W W
3 Burton Albion 5 3 0 2 2 1 7 5 +2 9 1.80 W L L W W
4 Wigan Athletic 5 1 1 3 1 4 3 7 -4 4 0.80 L L D W L
5 Gillingham 5 1 1 3 1 1 6 11 -5 4 0.80 W D L L L
6 Peterborough United 5 0 2 3 0 0 7 10 -3 2 0.40 L D D L L

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:we got:-

2) The 4th best attack
3) The fewest losses
6) AND WE TOP-A-LEAGUE

not quite unfortunately.

1 Coventry City 5 4 0 1 1 0 12 6 +6 12 2.40 W L W W W
2 Walsall 5 3 2 0 2 1 8 4 +4 11 2.20 W D D W W
3 Burton Albion 5 3 0 2 2 1 7 5 +2 9 1.80 W L L W W
4 Wigan Athletic 5 1 1 3 1 4 3 7 -4 4 0.80 L L D W L
5 Gillingham 5 1 1 3 1 1 6 11 -5 4 0.80 W D L L L
6 Peterborough United 5 0 2 3 0 0 7 10 -3 2 0.40 L D D L L

ok well done for that stats shot, but 2nd at least

Another interesting thing...Colchester lose 8 straight games after their 4-4 draw with us, highlight of their season...they should've just let us win...they put way too much effort into that game, exhausted themselves

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:19 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:
Horozontal Harry wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Can't you just go out and find a girlfriend?

That sounds great you find one for me, but with the following minimum criteria:-

1) Is scientifically alive, established by at least two biological tests
2) Has got two legs, real ones
3) Hasn't got two heads or more, but at least one
4) Aged between 16-45 (but a Hollywood 45.... not a council estate worn out one...going on 85)
5) No tattoos, No smoking (except fish), no drinking (alcohol that is....she is allowed survival hydration from natural sources)
6) And is clinically female....and was ALWAYS female
and finally:-
7) This really should go without saying, but she should have an appreciation of an intelligent, sophisticated, cultured and civilized partner....otherwise she may as well stick to one of you lot....unless she is really hot of course in which case she'll do.

SWS1

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:33 am

Ignoring the ravings of SloppySaddler above, is this rather less of an endorsement of our table-topping team than should be the case - or am I being paranoid (again)?
After the game, SO'D said

"We're delighted obviously. I said to them before the game I have my opinion on them as players, and that will fluctuate as some of them surprise me and some of them disappoint me, but my opinion of them as characters is really high.

"Watching them play today, I thought they showed how well they can play and what a great bunch of lads they are."

As far as I'm concerned, that is just a trifle mealy-mouthed considering our record this season, the footballing talent we have (hinted at by our usual possession statistics) our determined defence and ability score crucial goals. Football is, at least to some extent, a matter of confidence and belief. I'd have liked SO'D to have omitted the second sentence: it was unnecessary, unless he has access to some subtle man-management psychology that I am not aware of. Maybe you other UTSers think differently.
Personally, I'm over the moon.
I’d have been happy with a point today, but three – ecstatic. :D Top o’t league. You can’t get better than that. (Well, strictly speaking, you can, unless you add the rider “in this league” but I’m sure you know what I mean ). This does seem to be a very special squad that Deano and R O’K put together; no wonder DS said at the start of the season “I’m happy with the squad we have” when some UTSers were moaning about lack of signings etc. They really have come good.
Looks like we might – just might – be top as we move into the New Year. That would be GOOD!  :D
Happy Bunny :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season