Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (A) League One, 26th Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
mel58
UTS Veteran

Re: Millwall (A) League One, 26th Dec, 3pm

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:29 am

A great result and a pleasure to drive there and back to watch it, not something that would usually be said about a visit to Millwall; although if there's a good day to drive through London then I suppose it would be Boxing Day.

First half we played them off the park in terms of possession, passing and movement. If our finishing had been better we would have been home and hosed 45 minutes in. Second half was more even but we still played some cracking stuff in attack and I don't think I've seen Adam Chambers play a better 90 minutes for us. Etheridge made a couple of great saves.

It says a lot for the increasing composure and confidence of us as a team that we were able to handle the 'atmosphere' of a Boxing Day crowd at the New Den with their fans as delightfully one-eyed as always.

To top it all off, I'd managed to find somewhere to park twenty minutes before kick-off and came back to a fully intact car.

A great Away Day, especially if it turns out to be one chapter of a successful season.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:49 am

Another in a line of results that make you believe this is the year.

History will show Smith made the wrong decision and be kind to SOD who was in the right place at the right time and will become a legend as a result, you can sense it. January really doesn't matter we are winning without Rico and Tom as it is.

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:44 am

Some quotes from Millwall fans site:

"Their 10 seemed to be everywhere,they knocked it left right and through the centre and looked like Barcelona"

"We were beaten by a better team that played joined up football, were comfortable on the ball and had us chasing shadows for most of the first 45"

Like it :D

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:38 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
longdogs wrote:Unchanged team. No Bradshaw or Henry.

Conspiracy theories will abound, the 'management' can no longer continue this 'injuries' nonsense for very much longer... can they?

In fairness - Bradshaw is quite injury prone, and has spent a lot of time out injured since he arrived at the club.

Henry however hasn't missed a game since he got in to the first team squad, so for him to miss 3 in a row (possibly 4 if he misses Monday too) with a "mystery" injury is just too much of a coincidence.

Except that he has! Apart from when he dislocated his shoulder against Preston last season and was out "injured" for quite a few games (and didn't even make the squad for Wembley), he has not played in every game this season e.g. was an unused sub against Coventry for example (which we won without him - as we have the last 2 league games).

But apart from that you are correct. :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:43 am

I've been coerced into going to the Rochdale game by my brother and Nephew,first time since the Wembley debacle,obviously something has changed since then,looking forward to finding out what..... :shock: :D

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:04 pm

mel58 wrote:A great result and a pleasure to drive there and back to watch it, not something that would usually be said about a visit to Millwall; although if there's a good day to drive through London then I suppose it would be Boxing Day.

First half we played them off the park in terms of possession, passing and movement. If our finishing had been better we would have been home and hosed 45 minutes in. Second half was more even but we still played some cracking stuff in attack and I don't think I've seen Adam Chambers play a better 90 minutes for us. Etheridge made a couple of great saves.

It says a lot for the increasing composure and confidence of us as a team that we were able to handle the 'atmosphere' of a Boxing Day crowd at the New Den with their fans as delightfully one-eyed as always.

To top it all off, I'd managed to find somewhere to park twenty minutes before kick-off and came back to a fully intact car.

A great Away Day, especially if it turns out to be one chapter of a successful season.

Nice one Mel. Great support.

I was thinking this might be the first ever match thread on here with zero contributions from anybody who was there.

It's the type of result that characterises a successful team. Only downside seems to be the Taylor injury.

Over two points a game now and top of the league. Fantastic.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:10 pm

sid swifty wrote:I've been coerced into going to the Rochdale game by my brother and Nephew,first time since the Wembley debacle,obviously something has changed since then,looking forward to finding out what..... :shock: :D

I'll give you a tenner to stay at home :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:43 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:I've been coerced into going to the Rochdale game by my brother and Nephew,first time since the Wembley debacle,obviously something has changed since then,looking forward to finding out what..... :shock: :D

I'll give you a tenner to stay at home :wink:

Don't need money,just a good film on the telly will suffice,not looking forward to the match all that much. :wink:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Felt it was a very, very solid defensive performance. Etheridge, Chambers, O'Connor and Demetriou defensively were all rock solid. Demetriou especially considering he played at LB for the second half.

Starting to think that Anthony Forde is becoming a bit of an unsung hero when he plays, he always puts a proper shift in up and down whatever wing he is played on and is usually quite neat and tidy in possession. If he had a better final ball he would be a rock solid starter. SO'D seems to like him too, played 180 minutes under him!

Left at 9am, got home at 9pm, didn't enjoy the journey at all though. Especially having to wait about an hour outside the away end before they even opened up the doors! :|

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Great goal, looked like we were lucky with three points from the 30s "highlights"

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Southend 0-3 Millwall (HT)

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season