Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) F.A. Cup 2nd rd replay, Tue 15 Dec 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Re: Chesterfield (H) F.A. Cup 2nd rd replay, Tue 15 Dec 7.45

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:Oh for the days when the FA Cup was important enough to comand second third and fourth even fifth replays - them were smashing days

Not sure how many here were at the 2nd replay at Halifax on a Christmas Eve ... God that was a miserable start to Christmas & they went on to knock man City out in the 3rd rd.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:47 pm

*DOFFER* wrote::D Offer here.

GET IN...

NO

GET IT OUT.

MY COCK IS OUT AND STAYING OUT... ( quite mild here in Essex @ 13 degrees , so all ok )

:D Offer

Put it away. How many times has that young lady, across the way, reported you?

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:We have actually WON a penalty shoot out, onwards and upwards, Brentford next hahahah :lol:

I'm fairly sure we won our last penalty shoot out as well. Tranmere? :wink:

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:53 pm

:( Offer here,,

Wind has changed, now a fresh North Easterly...

Dogga - force 7 imminent......

Cock quickly back in.....................

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:53 pm

just got back in

not the worlds best footy match in fact we waited until last 15 mins to start having some proper shots.

just wanted to say sat in the away end so to speak and it was a cracking atmosphere
probably a good job the pens were at home as it was tense but great penalties from us never looked like missing one.

chesterfield fans very quiet didn't join in the banter until well into 2nd half then went quiet again.

sets up a great away day now and I think another 27k in the pot for winning 2nd round.

#werecomingforyou

SWS1

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:01 pm

So relieved :D Come on, the lads! :D Onwards and Brentford :D
But what about those statistics from the Hartlepool game? 33 Shots from Sally Ford, 7 on target and not a goal to show for it! :shock: They've obviously been watching Walsall :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:07 pm

That was horrendous, so bad it was funny towards the end. Easily makes the tp five worst games ever list.

Chesterfield barely tried to win, they just had two banks of four all game. We didn't look like creating anything, we started brightly enough but the longer the game went on the worse we got.

The game only livened up when Baxendale came on. He didn't even do much, he beat a man, and he made runs forwards to create space for others. Thats all it took, shame none of the other forwards figured that out. The set up was all wrong from the start, 3 5 1 1 and the team selection was strange. Forde at left wing back for instance. Then we moved Lalkovic to the middle because he dared to beat three defenders when he came on, where he was nullified instantly, and Sawyers dropped so deep he might as well have been playing centre back.

At home we need to start with a front three, and we certainly do not need to play 3 central midfielders. Mantom was so ring rusty he might as well not have played.

Cook is barclays. One of the worst carthorses ive ever seen. He tries hard for sure,no question, hes just absolute guff. He is far worse than Sam Parkin.

Good penalties though i spose.

This game is already forgotten about.

See you all Sunday, i reckon we might have a new manager by then.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:24 pm

That was bloody terrible, all game, just terrible.

Zero movement, zero quality, zero motivation and yet we were better than Chestfield and deserved to win because we actually tried to win.

I think today was my last straw with Cook, I am starting to think he doesn't want to play football anymore as anytime he gets the ball he dives or somehow finds a way to hit the deck, spend more time on his backside than his feet. I genuinely think he must have fallen over 20 times, not one foul on him.

Baxo changed the game because he actually wanted to move but the best part about him was how bad he was funny, adding some actual entertainment to the game.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Not a good performance but a good result in the end. As others have said the balance of the team was wrong and although the opposition were very defensive we played into their hands. No one was outstanding or very poor it was simply the wrong team chosen.
Three positives I suppose:
Taylor played the whole game.
Mantom got some game time but was way off his best
If the board felt we could continue indefinitely with the 3 wise men(I have no proof that they did by the way!) then tonight would have told them otherwise.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:22 am

Actually I'm quite exultant and looking forward to the Third Round - I don't know why though - it was one of those games that makes you ask yourself if we are in a false position and which way will the season go. Actually, I do think we deserve to be up there, but this game once again proves that we are really thin on the ground, particular when it comes to having someone who can change a game.

One thing we have to stamp out is the way, week in week out, we concede territory from positions where we are in possession and could launch attacks. Notably against Chelsea, we had free kicks or a throws-in and contrived to play backwards and put ourselves under pressure - and in that game gave two - probably three goals away through unforced errors. We were doing again tonight, conceding possession and territory in our own half when under no pressure whatsoever. It's maddening.

Hopefully the new manager will stamp it out and Deano will have taken the habit with him to Brentford.

UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:24 am

*DOFFER* wrote::D Offer here.

GET IN...

NO

GET IT OUT.

MY COCK IS OUT AND STAYING OUT... ( quite mild here in Essex @ 13 degrees , so all ok )

It's 14 degrees here in HK. That merits a government 'cold weather warning'.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:31 am

Completely wrong team selection and formation set the tempo from the first whistle, once switching the formation and introducing wingers we started creating good chances hopefully a lesson learnt there.

Onto Cook as long as he's on the pitch wearing a WFC shirt I'll support him, but bloody hell the lads robbing a living! No pace no hold up play poor passing ability actually I think I'll leave it there.

UTS

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 am

Sawyers missed what looked from the away end like a tap in and Baxo was the player (with his hugely imposing presence) bearing down on the keeper when he cut in from the right for an effective 1 on 1....was never going to score with that level of confidence.

Penalties were good mind! Did the keeper get near any of them?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:13 am

It was Morris who missed the one on one and Bax that missed the glaring chance from 4 yards.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 am

Dirge.....

Highlight... we took 5 cracking penalties.

I think it shows we need to get a manager in ASAP

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:37 am

What else can you expect when you play with ten men for 85 mins of the game. Plus that performance is why Sawyers will never be a Premiership player or even a Championship one.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:59 am

Some rather OTT comments on here. We weren't very good but to start blaming individual players is missing the point. The team was set up in the wrong way for a home cup tie against a very defensive team who appeared to be playing for penalties for most of the game. I think their Manager gives the game away when he said it was the only way to play against a very good Walsall team.
The lesson for us,whoever is in charge,is to pick a team that can get behind packed defences and not play in front of them. We improved after the introduction of Lalkovic and Morris and should have won comfortably in extra time.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:00 am

Etheridge frustrates the hell out of me, even when he keeps a clean sheet,

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:53 am

Well that sounds like it was a potential glimpse 6 weeks down the line when Rico has been sold, Bradshaw has been sold, Sawyers loses confidence and we play Mantom (after Evans goes home) who clearly isn't fit...and Jeff doesn't spend a penny of course.

You can imagine us being top in January...the window coming and going..our startinf XI for the first game of February.

Etheridge

Demetriou
Downing
O'Connor
Taylor

Morris
Mantom
Chambers
Lalkovic

Sawyers

Cook

A decent side yes, one that will win games freely?

Never, there's no goals there.

Shudder.

Enjoy the next 6 weeks whilst you can.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 am

Sadders wrote:Well that sounds like it was a potential glimpse 6 weeks down the line when Rico has been sold, Bradshaw has been sold, Sawyers loses confidence and we play Mantom (after Evans goes home) who clearly isn't fit...and Jeff doesn't spend a penny of course.

You can imagine us being top in January...the window coming and going..our startinf XI for the first game of February.

Etheridge

Demetriou
Downing
O'Connor
Taylor

Morris
Mantom
Chambers
Lalkovic

Sawyers

Cook

Shudder.

If that was the 11 we were left with I'd put Lalkovic up top with Morris behind not brilliant but I'd be more confident of seeing goals than playing Cook and Sawyer's up there.
I am actually confident a striker will come in January hopefully someone like Hiwula.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:05 pm

We have been Pants in our last two games , creating very little. lets just hope Chesterfield are a bogey team of ours.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:17 pm

A win's a win, but we look very brittle in terms of strength in depth.

If Bradshaw departs - which I feel would be to his own detriment - we could do worse than try to sign Ebanks-Blake. I accept he was pretty ineffectual last night but they came set up not lose and that reflected in their negative performance.

On to Sunday.

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:19 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Plus that performance is why Sawyers will never be a Premiership player or even a Championship one.

Are you being serious?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:21 pm

clawtheolder wrote: Plus that performance is why Sawyers will never be a Premiership player or even a Championship one.

Utter Utter cack

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:33 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Plus that performance is why Sawyers will never be a Premiership player or even a Championship one.

Eh?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:58 pm

clawtheolder wrote:What else can you expect when you play with ten men for 85 mins of the game. Plus that performance is why Sawyers will never be a Premiership player or even a Championship one.

Best player on the pitch by a mile Last night.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
clawtheolder wrote: Plus that performance is why Sawyers will never be a Premiership player or even a Championship one.

Utter Utter cack

Jesus what did Romaine do wrong?? he made some great passes in the first half only problem being it was Cook on the receiving end!

Complete Balls!

LLASLAW
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 pm

There was a bloke (I presume a scout with the amount of writing he was doing) from Ross County there last night.....interested in Cook maybe?

Anyway, the game was quite dire and as people have said it didn't come to any sort of life until the second half of ET.

I thought we did well defensively, and Cook tried for a little while and then left himself isolated. Mantom was a bit slow with decision making but I put that down to game time and coming back from injury.

One thing that I found annoying was the amount of times we went long to Cook / Lalkovic versus Ian Evatt. They would never win a header against him if they played for a week straight!

Overall the best team won, and the highlight for me was Baxendale. He made a few decent runs, but think his head went when he thought he was Sawyers, went to play a ball down the wing with the outside of his boot, and shanked it out for a throw :lol:

Best team won, eventually.

As for the people moaning about Sawyers, he at least attempts to get things going, and as the game wore on he and all the others were visibly knackered. Saying that, I think it's a credit that not one Walsall player went down with cramp. Well done Whitney!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:45 pm

otiswfc wrote:
Sadders wrote:Well that sounds like it was a potential glimpse 6 weeks down the line when Rico has been sold, Bradshaw has been sold, Sawyers loses confidence and we play Mantom (after Evans goes home) who clearly isn't fit...and Jeff doesn't spend a penny of course.

Etheridge

Demetriou
Downing
O'Connor
Taylor

Morris
Mantom
Chambers
Lalkovic

Sawyers

Cook

Shudder.

If that was the 11 we were left with I'd put Lalkovic up top with Morris behind not brilliant but I'd be more confident of seeing goals than playing Cook and Sawyer's up there.
I am actually confident a striker will come in January hopefully someone like Hiwula.

Oh dear, you're beginning to sound like Walsall One with his wild delusional ideas that we would be so bold as to actually improve the team at some stage...remember, this is Walsall, with Bonser at the helm! If we were to inherit £50 Mill by passing 'GO' (or selling our trio of quality players?) not one penny of it would be spent on the football team...slight improvements to the Bonser suite perhaps, and quality acts, improvements to a 'hovel' villa in the Med, but the football team?
"What football team" :mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Why bring me into your depressive out of date arguments AM....I actually agree with OTIS...now that is a first :D I think it more likely we will strengthen in January than not. Look we have a real good chance of promotion...the goodies on offer if we do far outweigh the negatives.
Live in the real world AM..we are 3rd in the table,we could go second if we win our game in hand,we play the best football in the division by a country mile,we have some of the best players in our history and yet we still have negative posts like yours!!!
I would suggest ,as supporters, we all get behind the Club and try and persuade more of our friends to come along and see some great football.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season