Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) F.A. Cup 2nd rd replay, Tue 15 Dec 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Chesterfield (H) F.A. Cup 2nd rd replay, Tue 15 Dec 7.45

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:16 pm

I forgot to mention SADDERS in my post...all I will say about him is that he is SAD. If all that happens we might as well close down and build a supermarket :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:11 pm

How I WOULD love us to go on and get promotion, but I still think we would have to do it with what players we have, minus any players we 'may' lose in the January window. We've been hit like this before, it possibly might happen again. :wink:

UTS Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for the video!!!!

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:38 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
canadiansaddler wrote:Oh for the days when the FA Cup was important enough to comand second third and fourth even fifth replays - them were smashing days

Not sure how many here were at the 2nd replay at Halifax on a Christmas Eve ... God that was a miserable start to Christmas & they went on to knock man City out in the 3rd rd.

Whenever I have mentioned this to people they didn't believe me that we'd played on Christmas Eve and I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.

I remember driving there on my own and coming back was a long and miserable experience after losing.

I may be completely wrong but I think the weather was bad with a snowstorm making it all the worse, although that might have been the first replay that I also went to a few days earlier, or indeed an entirely different year altogether!

I'm guessing the match in question was around 1979 or so.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:59 pm

I thought we played ok in the first half and all that was lacking was for someone to take responsibility and shoot.
Cook should have done better with a couple of opportunities, but most were generally to blame for not taking snapshots when in good positions.
We almost fell back into the pointless retain possession at all costs mode rather than take a chance and it became frustrating.
Second half Chesterfield appeared to improve considerably and kept possession well without being too dangerous, other than O'Shea would did look a good player.
We just didn't generate much in the second half and it was very frustrating.
I have mentioned on many occasions that we have to play Lalkovic and especially Morris as they open up the play for themselves and others, which they did when they came on.
Nice cameo appearance from Baxendale, which should have been even better had he scored from a good chance close to goal.
The only merit in the team selection is that Mantom and Forde got some potentially valuable game time.
Don't understand why Bakayoko and/or Murphy weren't at least on the bench, or preferably one of them starting as neither could do as poorly as Cook tends to do and we need to explore other options to fill in for Bradshaw.

SWS1

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Guest wrote:If you cannot view it on the BBC site...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDh5PYMAJdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for that!
Just also watched again the highlights of our demolition of Blackpool a month or three ago. That was a sharp contrast in ruthless finishing compared to our profligacy with chances latterly, eh?

SWS1

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Am I right in thinking Cook's contract is up at the end of the season?
:? :?:

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:28 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:I thought we played ok in the first half and all that was lacking was for someone to take responsibility and shoot.
Cook should have done better with a couple of opportunities, but most were generally to blame for not taking snapshots when in good positions.
We almost fell back into the pointless retain possession at all costs mode rather than take a chance and it became frustrating.
Second half Chesterfield appeared to improve considerably and kept possession well without being too dangerous, other than O'Shea would did look a good player.
We just didn't generate much in the second half and it was very frustrating.
I have mentioned on many occasions that we have to play Lalkovic and especially Morris as they open up the play for themselves and others, which they did when they came on.
Nice cameo appearance from Baxendale, which should have been even better had he scored from a good chance close to goal.
The only merit in the team selection is that Mantom and Forde got some potentially valuable game time.
Don't understand why Bakayoko and/or Murphy weren't at least on the bench, or preferably one of them starting as neither could do as poorly as Cook tends to do and we need to explore other options to fill in for Bradshaw.

This!

UTS Legend

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:16 pm

SWS1 wrote:

Thanks for that!

You're welcome. I thought the BBC was available in Wales, mind.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:35 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Whenever I have mentioned this to people they didn't believe me that we'd played on Christmas Eve and I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.

I remember driving there on my own and coming back was a long and miserable experience after losing.

I may be completely wrong but I think the weather was bad with a snowstorm making it all the worse, although that might have been the first replay that I also went to a few days earlier, or indeed an entirely different year altogether!

It was indeed on Christmas Eve 1979 when we lost 0-2 to Halifax Town.

We used to play regularly on Christmas Day (usually against the Sloppies) until 1957. The buses ran on Christmas Day in those days.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
The Bosted Slab wrote:Whenever I have mentioned this to people they didn't believe me that we'd played on Christmas Eve and I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.

It was indeed on Christmas Eve 1979 when we lost 0-2 to Halifax Town.

We used to play regularly on Christmas Day (usually against the Sloppies) until 1957. The buses ran on Christmas Day in those days.

As I recall, weren't the reverse fixtures arranged for the next (Boxing) day, too?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:52 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:We used to play regularly on Christmas Day (usually against the Sloppies) until 1957. The buses ran on Christmas Day in those days.

As I recall, weren't the reverse fixtures arranged for the next (Boxing) day, too?

Correct. In 1953, Walsall played Brighton at home on Christmas Day and played the return match, the next day!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:We used to play regularly on Christmas Day (usually against the Sloppies) until 1957. The buses ran on Christmas Day in those days.

Correct. In 1953, Walsall played Brighton at home on Christmas Day and played the return match, the next day!

Just the once, then? Thought it was an annual occurrence.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:19 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:

A small selection:

December 25th 1956......... Walsall v Shrewsbury Town
December 26th 1956......... Shrewsbury Town v Walsall

December 25th 1957.........Walsall v Shrewsbury Town
December 26th 1957.........Shrewsbury Town v Walsall

In 1958 we had no Christmas Day match even though there were two Fourth Division fixtures that day.

December 26th 1958.........Walsall v Watford
December 27th 1958 (Sat).Watford v Walsall

December 26th 1985 (Thur)... Derby County v Walsall
December 28th 1985 (Sat)..... Walsall v Lincoln City

December 26th 1987 (Sat)..... Walsall v Grimsby Town
December 28th 1987 (Sat)..... Chesterfield v Walsall

The "local derby" element of Christmas fixtures evidently fell out of favour !!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:

A small selection:

December 25th 1956......... Walsall v Shrewsbury Town
December 26th 1956......... Shrewsbury Town v Walsall

December 25th 1957.........Walsall v Shrewsbury Town
December 26th 1957.........Shrewsbury Town v Walsall

In 1958 we had no Christmas Day match even though there were two Fourth Division fixtures that day.

December 26th 1958.........Walsall v Watford
December 27th 1958 (Sat).Watford v Walsall

December 26th 1985 (Thur)... Derby County v Walsall
December 28th 1985 (Sat)..... Walsall v Lincoln City

December 26th 1987 (Sat)..... Walsall v Grimsby Town
December 28th 1987 (Sat)..... Chesterfield v Walsall

The "local derby" element of Christmas fixtures evidently fell out of favour !!

And managers today moan about the current 'excessive Christmas programme'. Thought Mick Kearns was good about this on commentary on Tuesday night saying something along the lines of ' we are part of the entertainment business & if fans want to go to games on Boxing day then so be it'.

SWS1

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Guest wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

Thanks for that!

You're welcome. I thought the BBC was available in Wales, mind.

:lol:

UTS Legend

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season