Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) League One, 12 Dec 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (A) League One, 12 Dec 3pm

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Off to sunny Lancashire to play Fleetwood Town, the side we put out of the F.A. Cup at home 2-0 in the 1st round. Their form since then, under manager Stephen Pressley, has seen a slight improvement (6 points from 4 games), but they are still perilously near the relegation zone occupying 18th place on 21 points. However, as I noted in the preview to that F.A. Cup game, they won't be a pushover - they had already put 4 past Burton Albion at the time, and they've got the better of Millwall since then as well as trouncing Swindon Town 5-1 (but I think Swindon were in their "past caring" mode at the time). Fleetwood's current form:

10 Nov Sheffield United (H) F.L Trophy, Drew 0-0 (Won 4-1 on penalties)
14 Nov Peterborough United (A) League One, Lost 2-1
21 Nov Swindon Town (H) League One, Won 5-1
24 Nov Millwall (H) League One, Won 2-1
28 Nov Blackpool (A) League One, Lost 1-0
8 Dec Morecambe (H) F.L. Trophy, Won 2-0

At the top of League One it's becoming a bit of a four-horse race at the moment, with a handy cushion of 4 points between Gillingham (4th) and Wigan Athletic (5th), and the good news about this week-end's fixtures is that we can really do ourselves a lot of good if we come away with 3 points because Gillingham are playing Burton Albion. The other top 4 member, Coventry City, have a tricky game at Sheffield United. I would want Gillingham and Burton to draw, which would put us back on top!!

Team selection for our triumverate should be no more difficult than it was for the Chesterfield game. Tom Bradshaw hasn't been declared fit yet to my knowledge, so perhaps Jordan Cook will be persevered with - but perhaps a twin-striker role with Milan Lalkovic might be a good option? Now that Sam Mantom is fully back in contention, his selection should enable Romaine Sawyers to play more upfield than has been the case.

Whatever....with our good away form this season I'll go for a hard-won 0-1 win, with Sawyers on the score-sheet.

PT
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) League One, 12 Dec 3pm

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Be tough this and far harder than our last trip to this neck of the woods.

I reckon Welsh is spot on with his view that to win we'll need a clean sheet, something we haven't managed for a few weeks now.

Can't make this one (be travelling in the opposite direction) which is a shame as I quite enjoy Fleetwood. Sid Little's boozer round the corner and a nifty little shop called Northern Rags a stones throw away.

We'll win 1-0. O'Connor.. 2,578. 386 Walsall

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:54 pm

PT wrote:Be tough this and far harder than our last trip to this neck of the woods.

I reckon Welsh is spot on with his view that to win we'll need a clean sheet, something we haven't managed for a few weeks now.

Can't make this one (be travelling in the opposite direction) which is a shame as I quite enjoy Fleetwood. Sid Little's boozer round the corner and a nifty little shop called Northern Rags a stones throw away.

We'll win 1-0. O'Connor.. 2,578. 386 Walsall

387 mate, I'll be there to give 'em a shout for both of us!
Harder task than many might think, if we can keep a clean sheet we might just scrape a 1-0 win which would be a great result in view of the current 'top' positions.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:16 pm

This is a difficult one to call???

I'll go...
1-1

Peter Till to score both!!

4523 (397)

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:45 pm

2-1 to Fleetwood

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:01 pm

1-1 2744 including 366 Saddlers

Evans with our goal

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:06 pm

saddlerphil wrote:Peter Till to score both!!
Are we playing Stafford Rangers as well on Saturday?

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Radio reported that Bradshaw is highly unlikely.

Would put lalkovic upfront and forde on the wing.

Will be my first trip to fleetwood and closing in on 60 grounds so really looking forward to this.

I'll go for a 2-1 win. Evans and Milan

400 saddlers to cheer on the boys

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:37 pm

ive just thought. i have booked hotel. booked the viva xmas show and the chinese after. but i aint got no tickets for the game :lol: . will i be able to pay at the gate or will i have to get some tomorrow? :oops:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 pm

chunkster wrote:ive just thought. i have booked hotel. booked the viva xmas show and the chinese after. but i aint got no tickets for the game :lol: . will i be able to pay at the gate or will i have to get some tomorrow? :oops:

No, all ticket game and sold out.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:35 pm

IHTC. wrote:
chunkster wrote:ive just thought. i have booked hotel. booked the viva xmas show and the chinese after. but i aint got no tickets for the game :lol: . will i be able to pay at the gate or will i have to get some tomorrow? :oops:

No, all ticket game and sold out.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mind you it wouldn't be the first time i have gone in the away end :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:34 pm

The weather forecast for the area on Saturday is APPALLING folks, might be a possible danger of a postponement, I shall keep a close eye on the weather locally and let you know if there is a change, if it is on, wrap up well, temp of 3 degrees for the afternoon, and gale force winds....may be a shock to our somewhat spoiled systems lately!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:The weather forecast for the area on Saturday is APPALLING folks, might be a possible danger of a postponement, I shall keep a close eye on the weather locally and let you know if there is a change, if it is on, wrap up well, temp of 3 degrees for the afternoon, and gale force winds....may be a shock to our somewhat spoiled systems lately!

Sound exciting :D

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
saddlerphil wrote:Peter Till to score both!!

Are we playing Stafford Rangers as well on Saturday?

LOLOLOL :lol:

Super Peter Till the soarawaysaddler/codarmy!!!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:44 pm

going for a 1-2 away win lalk and romaine with our goals. ordered my tickets last night over tinternet. went to pick em up today and they had sent em all back without printing mine off :| but she said she would email the club so they will be ready to pick up at their ticket office :D

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:37 pm

match off, according to the bbc.

edit - confirmed on the official site.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:13 pm

longdogs wrote:match off, according to the bbc.

edit - confirmed on the official site.

Confirmed, even by Betfair!! Also off are Bradford City v Southend United, and Oldham Athletic v Millwall.

Edit...With the Chesterfield replay on Tuesday and Christmas coming up, this Fleetwood game looks like being played some time next year!! Normally I like it when we have games in hand, but in our current position I think I would prefer points in the bag!!

For the rest of today I'll keep an eye on the Gillingham v Burton game, and then Coventry's progress tomorrow.

Incidentally, I see that Nigel Clough won't be at the Gillingham v Burton game "due to long-standing media commitments". :roll:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Good news, hopefully Bradshaw will be fit so an extra league game for him to play in.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Finish decorating the Christmas tree then.

deldras
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Off to sunny Lancashire to play Fleetwood Town

Kiss of Death :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Stuck in the hotel room watching toy story :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:26 pm

I, like many, many fellow supporters made the wasted journey, but the further up the motorway we got, the more a postponement seemed a likely outcome. It was just bucketing down relentlessly.
Methinks not many will get to a Tuesday night replay!
Currently watching the outcome of the Gills v Burton, a draw would be the most acceptable outcome, but Burton appear to be in control, don't want them to get further away at the top.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Nice of them to wait until we we're 15 miles away.

Wonder if they will reimburse us for our fuel costs...? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Decent set this afternoon.

The top six dropped 8 out of 12 points today which is very good indeed, especially the Posh and Wigan results.

Burton are flying but Clough hasn't had chance to work his magic yet.

Six points clear of seventh with a game in hand. Nice. And if Coventry lose at Sheff Utd tomorrow by more than one goal we will be into the top two with a game in hand over third and fourth. Also nice.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Rang fleetwood at pretty much the half way point of the journey, this was about 1 o'clock asked if all ok and was told yes fine, now I've seen pictures of the pitch, Ray Charles could have called it off probably last night, pathetic, spunked £50 in fuel, fleetwood should be paying for the fans coaches or travel on the rearranged fixture, cack houses

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:39 pm

chunkster wrote:going for a 1-2 away win lalk and romaine with our goals. ordered my tickets last night over tinternet. went to pick em up today and they had sent em all back without printing mine off :| but she said she would email the club so they will be ready to pick up at their ticket office :D

Was there a queue when you got to the ticket office? :lol:

I'd just got to the turnoff on the M55 when heard it on Radio 5. Had been checking on Radio Lancashire but they seemed more concerned with Steve Davies's playlist than with what their local teams were up to!

Rain seemed to be slowing down once they confirmed the game was off so had a tootle along Blackpool front and then headed home.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:07 pm

PT wrote:Decent set this afternoon.

Burton are flying but Clough hasn't had chance to work his magic yet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one.........

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Can't understand why it wasn't called off sooner, think Morecambe was called off midday which is just up the road. Fleetwood have hardly got a state of the art ground either that can whistand torrential rain so my sympathies to anyone who was travelling up there, still you had a few hours to kill in Blackpool. :lol:

From the comfort of my warm Sutton home I'd actually say not a bad time to call it off. Would've been tricky to win without Bradshaw and with two home games now good chance to keep the momentum going into the xmas run.

Some nice results aswell...Wigan somehow losing at home to Blackpool, Posh drawing, hopefully Sheffield United will wake up and nick at least a point off Coventry.

Not too worried about Burton either. They're not going away but as PT says once Clough starts working his magic 1-1 draws and 0-1 defeats will become the natural order there.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Respect to all who made the trip (or those who started out) - true Saddlers all!

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:54 am

We arrived at 1.35pm to learn game called off at 1.30pm!! 290 miles round trip from Halesowen via Edge Hill university to collect my son. We were not well pleased.

A bloody long way to go for a cup of coffee and a cheese toasty. The M6 was a delight, I don't think I will be going to the re arranged game unless promotion depends on the result.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season