Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (A) Emirates F.A. Cup 2nd round, 5th Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (A) Emirates F.A. Cup 2nd round, 5th Dec, 3

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Bakayoko on for Milan Lalkovic, 84 min

Northampton Town have scored two late goals to equalise against non-League Northwich Victoria. (86 min)
EDIT - and a third goal on 87 min to put them 3-2 up....

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:50 pm

No idea how close the commentator is sitting to the away stand (I'd presume 50 metres away) but the away end are the only ones to be heard, loud and clear!!

1-1 Late equaliser..We really dont need a replay.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Gripper wrote:No idea how close the commentator is sitting to the away stand (I'd presume 50 metres away) but the away end are the only ones to be heard, loud and clear!!

1-1 Late equaliser..We really dont need a replay.

Why did you have to write that? :wink:

1-1 it is, 2 minutes into injury time....... :evil:

James O'Connor booked........

Full time, and a replay it is.....at least we're in the draw on Monday.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Annoying. Could have done without a replay but at least we're in the hat.

SWS1

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Having followed the game closely, it seems we should have put it to bed earlier (sound familiar?) but let them back in with a vengeance. :(
Ah, well. In the hat. :)
Glass half full, surely :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:10 pm

SWS1 wrote:Having followed the game closely, it seems we should have put it to bed earlier (sound familiar?) but let them back in with a vengeance. :(
Ah, well. In the hat. :)
Glass half full, surely :D

Yep, sounds like we could have lost. Looking forward to hearing accounts from those that were there.

Edit - we really are thin upfront when Bradshaw is out, with only Cook and Bakayoko as options. I wonder why Jordan Murphy was not on the bench today after his recall from Kiddy?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Obviously we don't know how they played yet, but that was a poor result, we should be beating sides like Chesterfield, who were beaten 4-0 by Swindon for clips sake! The stats showed that they were all over us like a rash at the end, and should have won with numerous chances.
Still we are still in the hat, and the REALLY good news is, if we DO win the replay, we can't be drawn against Millwall!!!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:41 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Obviously we don't know how they played yet, but that was a poor result, we should be beating sides like Chesterfield, who were beaten 4-0 by Swindon for clips sake! The stats showed that they were all over us like a rash at the end, and should have won with numerous chances.
Still we are still in the hat, and the REALLY good news is, if we DO win the replay, we can't be drawn against Millwall!!!!

Highlights on the BBC website already up, AM. It looks as if Ebanks-Bulky-Blake caused us a few problems.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Obviously we don't know how they played yet, but that was a poor result, we should be beating sides like Chesterfield, who were beaten 4-0 by Swindon for clips sake! The stats showed that they were all over us like a rash at the end, and should have won with numerous chances.

Bit far :lol: . They're still a useful enough side in the same division as us. Cup matches are often completely different to the bread and butter as well.

Watched the highlights, they had the better chances though we also hit the bar. Still in the hat so hopefully we can do them in the replay. Lighten up eh :wink:

Good following as well today fair play boys

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Judging by the highlights we are bloody lucky to be in the draw...even more the reason to get stuck in at home to make sure we get that glamour tie away at Rotherham.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm desperate for Coventry away to stay 3pm so quite happy for a replay. :lol: The draw on Monday will confirm whether it's worth winning the replay, if it's Man. United, Arsenal or Liverpool away fair enough.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Played quite cack to be honest, wind didn't help at all though.

Got back quick though so there is a positive.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:32 pm

Not long got back and slightly disappointed, our tactics were all wrong in the second half especially taking the conditions into account.

neither Centre half won enough of the first (hoof) ball and that allowed Chesterfield to play around our box. The equaliser was really poor with the team completely switching off.

If we are to be honest a draw flattered us a little.

UTS!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:40 pm

After the excellent second half on Tuesday, that was very disappointing.

Wind ruined the game in all honesty, but Chesterfield retained the ball in the conditions better than we did- today was not a day for being elaborate. God only knows what Etheridge was hoping to achieve by repeatedly remonstrating with the referee about the rolling ball (which wasn't really blowing away that much)- was he trying to convince him to abandon the game while we were one-nil up?! That said, he and a couple of last ditch blocks that I didn't have the clearest view of kept us in it.

Chesterfield deserved their equalizer, on the balance of the second half. Looked an unnecessary foul from Chambers for the free kick, from where I was sat. If Downing's header (around 50 minutes-ish?) goes in, it's game over.

Without wanting to shoot a bullet-riddled fish in barrel, Cook was absolutely abhorrent: everything bounced five feet off him, and he never looked like scoring with that free header in the second half.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:49 pm

When the ball is blown backwards when placed for a goal kick & the resulting kick has no chance of getting anywhere near the half-way line then the wind is the only winner.

We could have won it but if I'm honest they deserved a replay. It would have been brilliant if the Mantom free kick had been a few inches lower or Downing's header from the corner hadn't been cleared off the line but there was a period in the middle of the 2nd half when our goal had a charmed life.

I don't think that anyone should go over board with negative comments because we didn't beat a team towards the wrong end of our division on a day like that.
Last edited by hullsaddler on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Let's be honest...as nice as it was to actually see him scoring a goal the team isn't going to go on a long unbeaten run with Cook leading the line.

If Bradshaw is out for a while I'd look to get a loan forward in, maybe someone John Ward has worked with previously if the caretakers are going to get the xmas/new year run of games.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:59 pm

i wonder what ebanks blake is on wages wise and contract? he has played well against us in the 2 games. i wonder what it would take to prize him away :wink:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 pm

chunkster wrote:i wonder what ebanks blake is on wages wise and contract? he has played well against us in the 2 games. i wonder what it would take to prize him away :wink:

He's absolute dynamite at this level, he'd be paid alot more than any of our players!

SoccerHQ wrote:I'm desperate for Coventry away to stay 3pm so quite happy for a replay. :lol: The draw on Monday will confirm whether it's worth winning the replay, if it's Man. United, Arsenal or Liverpool away fair enough.

I'm wondering how happy I'd be at Arsenal away, tickets would be about £60.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Gripper wrote:
chunkster wrote:i wonder what ebanks blake is on wages wise and contract? he has played well against us in the 2 games. i wonder what it would take to prize him away :wink:

He's absolute dynamite at this level, he'd be paid alot more than any of our players!

SoccerHQ wrote:I'm desperate for Coventry away to stay 3pm so quite happy for a replay. :lol: The draw on Monday will confirm whether it's worth winning the replay, if it's Man. United, Arsenal or Liverpool away fair enough.

I'm wondering how happy I'd be at Arsenal away, tickets would be about £60.
well we have got loads of money left from our wembley exploits :mrgreen: . last time i went to arsenal i got attacked under the clock just because i was dressed as a punk :lol: but i would pay anything to watch us play at the emirates :wink:

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Just watched the highlights, is it me or was their goal handball?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:11 pm

caldy wrote:Just watched the highlights, is it me or was their goal handball?

Quite a few comments on the Chesterfield board (Google "Spireites") agree with you, but of course they're quite happy to accept the goal......as we would under the same circumstances!! :mrgreen:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:28 am

Their manager/caretaker is a full kit barclays :lol:

UTS Legend

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:33 am

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:50 am

Well despite it taking about 25 minutes and a lot of debate before i was finally allowed to get into the away end (full story in "Slightly off topic") - i thought that was a fairly entertaining game.

We should, though, have closed it out. Still confused how our goal went in and start of second half we had a chance cleared off the line.

But make no mistake - they really had some good chances and deserved a replay as much as it fudge me off when they got it - it almost seemed inevitable.

Injury time was like a basket ball match.

I think someone else has said it but we desperately need cover up front - Cook isn't the answer - nothing stuck to him and missed one great chance in the first half when 1-0 up.

EDIT: Sorry apparently it was Evans who missed - hard to tell when you are half watching it through a tiny monitor!

Still think we will win the replay though

UTS Legend

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:48 am

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:05 am

Despite folk thinking that I'm a miserable old git, for daring to suggest that Saturday's performance was not 'up to scratch' there has not been a rush to the keyboard to suggest otherwise. :?

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:13 am

That game was all about the wind, we were the better team, they adapted to it better, fat lad caused us problems and on the balance of play we were lucky to get through

Etheridge scares the hell out of me, he was proper erratic all game, although made a few very important blocks in the second half and cook ain't a striker in a million years (not convinced he's a footballer) but if you watch him off the ball he does everything wrong, wrong runs, wrong positioning, he worked hard and showed his commitment with an arial challenge where we could of got smashed to bits but we really need another striking option. Thought Evans had a poor game after setting his standards so high, Rico can't defend but is magical going forward (that run!!!)(play him in front of Taylor?)) and great to see Mantom back

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:25 am

saddlerJP wrote:Rico can't defend but is magical going forward (that run!!!)(play him in front of Taylor?))

He can cross the ball quite well, something we struggled with so much last season (Please see - "Walsall's only trip to Wembley in their history").

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:01 pm

On Chesterfield's goal their number 5 shoves Chambers in the back, then puts the ball in with his hand. Well done ref! :evil:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Fair result overall... It was a little bit like playing with a Winfield special....

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season