Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One, 28th Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SWS1

Re: Bradford City (H) League One, 28th Nov, 3pm

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:24 pm

[quote="Barren Flak"]
Sign of a quality team when we ride our luck and see out games like that, despite the very physical nature Bradford turned it into with their mossive substitutes.

Perhaps but what is it a sign of when we out-football the opposition comprehensively but don't win? That's happened more often than the above this season. :?
Lovely result today, of course :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Dead right on the "crowd"....when our better players move on,as they will,the club will be criticised probably by those who couldn't be bothered to come today. Dread to think what the gate will be for the next match..12noon on a Sunday!!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Makes you wonder what the club have to do to get a half decent crowd (community days excluded), 4th in the league and only 3,700 turn up absolutely disgusting.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:45 pm

sallian wrote:Burton, Gills and Coventry showing they are all the real men in this division, the real top dogs, the real dons and despite their blip losses to Walsall

Walsall are their maid, waitress and gardener at the moment

One striker at a time policy doesn't work

:lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:47 pm

IHTC. wrote:Makes you wonder what the club have to do to get a half decent crowd (community days excluded), 4th in the league and only 3,700 turn up absolutely disgusting.

It will pick up in the second half of the season I'm sure.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:55 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:That's what happens when you start your best 11 and bring on subs who can see out games.

Ah good to know. I'm assuming you texted Mr. Smith prior to the match which is why you're reeling in the credit? Thanks for the league position by the by, you've clearly been instrumental in our success this season.

Woah jesus Christ it was a sarcadtic post. Idiot

Yah... I got that, which is why I responded with irony. In layman terms I decided that your sarcastic response to a great season and a good win deserved an equally cocky response.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:03 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Makes you wonder what the club have to do to get a half decent crowd (community days excluded), 4th in the league and only 3,700 turn up absolutely disgusting.

Hope so because everyone from the tea maid up to D.S deserve better

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Let's hope there are a few of those half season tickets in people's stockings this Christmas

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:35 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

Yeah might make 3,800 if we are in the top two come late April and the weather is not too cold. :?
If I still lived in gods own town I would feel utterly disgusted by todays turn out, just wait till we get a home tie against Premiershite opposition in the 3rd Round of the cup, exiles like me and many others will have to grab our tickets off the black market as 11,000 sleeping 'genuine fans' snap up the tickets!
(and I bet they all get in the Saddlers Club too!)

Or am I being a tad sarcastic?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:41 pm

The attendances v Burton and Gillingham were good. Helped those two brought a decent amount of course but in normal situations home v Gillingham is normally one of the lowest attendances of the season.

Maybe there's still an element of casual fans thinking the bubble will burst or Bonser will sell half the team in January for a fiver so are reluctant to come down but I can't believe attendances won't be 6-7k around March time if the team are thereabouts.

The football is much worse at Villa Park, Molineux and even St Andrews looking at their home form so they'll be a few floaters like going to Wembley attracted a few from other sides.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:55 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:The attendances v Burton and Gillingham were good. Helped those two brought a decent amount of course but in normal situations home v Gillingham is normally one of the lowest attendances of the season.

Maybe there's still an element of casual fans thinking the bubble will burst or Bonser will sell half the team in January for a fiver so are reluctant to come down but I can't believe attendances won't be 6-7k around March time if the team are thereabouts.

The football is much worse at Villa Park, Molineux and even St Andrews looking at their home form so they'll be a few floaters like going to Wembley attracted a few from other sides.

There is definitely more than a grain of truth in that statement! :(

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:09 pm

I think all this talk about attendances is BS.

Firstly, it's one of the most popular shopping weekends of the year. Secondly, it was crap weather.

Thirdly, and most importantly, by my calculations, our average league attendance so far this season is 5405, compared to 4392 last season, which represents an increase of 23%.

What more do people want in the space of 6 months? Do you expect a 300% increase? Thats simply not how it works. Average attendances are built up - and lost - over many years. We carried our championship average attendances (with a gradual decline) from 2001-2004 until the Dann and Fox sales of 2008, when we saw a big drop.

The average attendance is up by nearly a quarter so far this season, and if we're there or there abouts towards the end of the season, that 23% increase could well be closer to 40%.

On to the game...

A great win, against another dirty side. We didn't play as well as we can, but Bradford were on form and well organised, so we would need to take our chances and keep it tight at the back - which is exactly what we did.

Sawyers ball, and Bradshaws run for the winner were perfection, and the perfect way to beat the Bradford Bull(ie)s

As is becoming the norm - we had another dreadful referee. Here are some of his highlights from today:

- Clear elbow to the head of Tom Bradshaw. Result? The chap got a talking to, thats it.

- The number 17 who played on the wing for them committed 3 tackles from behind that didn't win the ball (mainly on Morris) - all automatic yellow cards, one in the first half, 2 in the second. Result? One yellow card for his 3rd yellow card offence. Would have been sent off had the ref stamped his authority in the first half.

- The centre half who elbowed Bradshaw in the first half then went through Bradshaw unneccessarily, and dangerously on the touchline. Result, a yellow card. Should have been his 2nd yellow at the very least after his clash with Bradshaw in the first half.

- Booked OConnor for timewasting, which was wrong for many reasons - he didn't give him the usual 3 or 4 warnings you get from all other refs. He wasn't even time wasting - not compared to some time wasting we've seen this season.

- Completely ignored the consistent fouling by their other centre half and their forward (Hanson?).

So, what have we learned from this refereeing performance?

- Elbowing someone in the head is no longer a red card offence, it's been downgraded to a talking to.
- Mild timewasting is now a yellow without warning.
- A yellow card foul in the first half isn't a yellow card.
- The totting up rule of fouls can now be ignored.

There's a reason why the majority of the top teams in this division are big, thugish, dirty, ugly sides - because the refereeing is so damn weak that they can get away with it week in week out. WFC came out of today with 3 bookings, Bradford came out of it with 2. WFC committed 12 fouls, Bradford committed 17.

I hate going on about refs, but the standard really is dropping. The lack of consistency is atrocious - nearly every game the ref will let stuff go in the first half, which means he's set his standard, then the game descends in to a scrap in the 2nd half, and they wonder why. fudge idiots.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:14 pm

It feels like now that time wasting is more of a yellow card offence to referees than elbowing someone.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Good battling win against another bunch of long ball thugs - teams like that seem to have no interest in playing football and you dread to think what their kids get taught. Have to say though, when they got their goal I did think the game was only going one way but they showed alot of bottle, against a team who were only interested in kicking lumps out of us, and got a great winner (Sawyers ball was sex).

Phil gives some good reasons for the poor crowd and he's probably right, but it is cack that we couldn't get more in there. Crowds have gone up a bit but I have to admit to being disappointed today.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:41 pm

Happy to see that result!

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:45 am

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:56 am

What a fantastic time to be a Saddler. I really hope we get to the play offs as I (like many others) know we can beat anyone on our day.

January will be a long month but this could be a fantastic season providing we stay fairly injury free and have some steel when needed.

UTS!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 am

Whaleoilbeefhooked wrote:What a fantastic time to be a Saddler. I really hope we get to the play offs as I (like many others) know we can beat anyone on our day.

January will be a long month but this could be a fantastic season providing we stay fairly injury free and have some steel when needed.

UTS!

Around 39 more points needed for play-offs. Win 11' draw 6 and lose 7 would be roughly the form which looks very do-able. But for now we should just lap up what these lads are serving up and enjoy it.

In terms of injuries, we have two players to return. Mantom is only a matter of weeks away whilst Osbourne is more like a couple of months but could still make an impact during the run-in.

It's ace at the moment. Just need us to come through December and January with the same personnel on board.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:06 am

Ah, Osbourne. I'd forgotten about him. Any good?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:17 am

ChopperWFC wrote:Let's hope there are a few of those half season tickets in people's stockings this Christmas
most of our fans couldn't afford the stocking :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:23 pm

I wondered where you had been recently Phil...agreed on match and referee who was not very good however on the "gate" whilst accepting your general argument that it takes time to build again I do think to lose 1,000 after the superb performance against Sheff. Utd. is very disappointing. Lets hope that as the season continues people will realise what a good team we have here.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Guest wrote:Ah, Osbourne. I'd forgotten about him. Any good?

No idea why the club even mentioned we'd signed him, they must've known he was crocked?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Gripper wrote:

No idea why the club even mentioned we'd signed him, they must've known he was crocked?

Didn't he get injured after he joined? I remember someone posting on here that he'd buggered his knee in training.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:00 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Didn't he get injured after he joined? I remember someone posting on here that he'd buggered his knee in training.

The story as I understand it was that he was training with us. We liked the cut of his jib so we gave him a contract until the end of the season. But despite training with us he wasn't "match fit" so didn't make the squad in his first week or so post contract. Then he buggered his knee in training and was reportedly only just about walking unaided a week or two ago.

Mantom has been turning out for the reserves recently so must be close. With Evans with us, there's absolutely no need to rush him back.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:52 pm

PT wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Gripper wrote:

The story as I understand it was that he was training with us. We liked the cut of his jib so we gave him a contract until the end of the season. But despite training with us he wasn't "match fit" so didn't make the squad in his first week or so post contract. Then he buggered his knee in training and was reportedly only just about walking unaided a week or two ago.

Thanks for that, PT.

CCFC721

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:29 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Anyone else out there looked at Coventry subs bench! They have players 'standing by' that we could only dream about! :?
Keep it up lads, we need those three points today cus Shrewsbury WON'T be the easy three points that would have been the case some time earlier in the season.
Don't let Bratford score, pleeeeease.

Can I ask who your speaking about? I can't really think of anyone on that bench who a Walsall supporter can only dream of?

PT
Site Addict

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:52 am

CCFC721 wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Anyone else out there looked at Coventry subs bench! They have players 'standing by' that we could only dream about! :?
Keep it up lads, we need those three points today cus Shrewsbury WON'T be the easy three points that would have been the case some time earlier in the season.

Can I ask who your speaking about? I can't really think of anyone on that bench who a Walsall supporter can only dream of?

Thanks for dropping by. We like to tell ourselves a story that we're the only club running our business properly and fairly. Everyone else is "at it" making us all the more plucky for doing so well on such an uneven playing field. Please don't come on here using mere facts to undermine this.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 pm

PT wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:

Thanks for dropping by. We like to tell ourselves a story that we're the only club running our business properly and fairly. Everyone else is "at it" making us all the more plucky for doing so well on such an uneven playing field. Please don't come on here using mere facts to undermine this.

:mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season