Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One, 28th Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bradford City (H) League One, 28th Nov, 3pm

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 am

Phil Parkinson brings his in-form Bradford City bantams to Bescot on Saturday looking to extend their unbeaten League One run to 10 games. After a poor start to the season which saw them lose 4-1 in the opening fixture at Swindon Town and still in the relegation zone after 4 games they've climbed the table, and now occupy a play-off place. Parkinson has been the manager for more than 4 years, in that time guiding City to notable wins in cup competitions (remember the Villa? :lol: ) and also being the first manager to take a team from League 2 to a Wembley final, where they had their goalkeeper sent off and lost 5-0 to Swansea City.

Devante Cole and James Hanson are joint leading scorers in League One with 5 each, but although Bradford's defence is almost as mean as ours (19 shipped compared to our 18) it's perhaps significant that in their 19 League games they've only managed to score 21 (compared to our 30). Still, they are a team in form....which currently looks like this:

3 Nov Blackpool (H) League One, Won 1-0
8 Nov Aldershot (A) F.A. Cup, Drew 0-0
14 Nov Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Won 2-0
18 Nov Aldershot (H) F.A. Cup replay, Won 2-0
21 Nov Scunthorpe United (A) League One, Won 0-2
24 Nov Coventry City (H) League One, Drew 0-0

As far as we're concerned, Dean Smith possibly has more than the usual amount of tactical thinking to do before he names his starting XI. Although we were demonstrably a better footballing side than Swindon Town on Tuesday the fact remains that we lost, and the factors behind that may relate to the inclusion of Cook from the start instead of his usual 10-minute cameo at the end of a game, plus bringing on Flanagan near the end (whose sideways pass was intercepted and lashed home for Swindon's winner).

The good news this week is that George Evans' loan has been extended until the New Year, and our only known injury doubts are Sam Mantom's foot/ankle/leg/knee and Andy Taylor's absence (even from the bench). If I had the decision to make I would certainly start with Milan Lalkovic and also bring Kieron Morris back. Whatever combination is settled upon, it would be good if Romaine Sawyers could be enabled to play more upfield, where his assists and scoring chances would be far more beneficial than if he carries on playing at full-back where he spent a lot of the Swindon game.

Predictions? We should keep a clean sheet ( :? ), and I'll go for Tom Bradshaw to maintain his recent goal-a-game form, thus giving us a 1-0 win and 3 welcome points.

UTS !!!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Bradford City (H) League One, 28th Nov, 3pm

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:14 am

Start with the team that played Sheffield.Give any subs half an hour to settle in.And please lord let none of those subs be name Flanagan.Then I will have nothing to moan about.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:39 am

Cook will be on the bench BUT... lets play Cook On Bingo!....

I'll go 74 minutes.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 am

We need to get back to winning ways everyone's been telling me we're going to go on one of our 10 game's without a win runs, let's hope not.
Bradford drew with Coventry on Tuesday and reading Coventry's forum they weren't too impressive.
2-0 Walsall, Cook and Flannagan :lol: att: 5,500 - 900 Bantams.
Cook on in the 78 min.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:39 am

Cooks moral must be the lowest it has ever been. He can't score. Then when he does its disallowed :lol: :lol: I would stick bakayeko on the bench in his place. And go with the team that played against United. It's going to be hard to leave ford out though after his motm performance against the swindlers. I will go 2-1 with them scoring from a set piece :D

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:06 pm

I reckon a nervy 1-0 to the Super Saddlers to get us back to winning ways. Sawyers to scream one in from 30yds out.

Cook on at 72mins (just hope we've got that goal before then)

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Cook will be on the bench BUT... lets play Cook On Bingo!....

I'll go 74 minutes.

I'm sure the club are contractually obliged to bring Cook on by 80 mins at the latest (surely there can be no other reason for his repeated inclusion?).

He'll come on 76th minute.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:31 pm

tinned wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Cook will be on the bench BUT... lets play Cook On Bingo!....

I'll go 74 minutes.

I'm sure the club are contractually obliged to bring Cook on by 80 mins at the latest (surely there can be no other reason for his repeated inclusion?).

He'll come on 76th minute.

This is going to be a horrible game against a horrible team, who will probably try and kick us around the park for 90 mins. I'm hoping for a very nervy 1-0 win, but realistically I can see a 1-1 or a 2-1 defeat. Hope I'm very wrong...

Depending on how fit Mantom is (70 Mins for the reserves last night) I'd consider the 3-5-1-1 formation with Preston at the back to deal with Hanson and a midfield of Mantom, Evans and Chambers with Sawyers behind Bradshaw. If not, then I think we should be playing the same starting line-up as the Sheffield game and try to out score them...

Att: 5,798 with 1,276 from Bradford.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:37 pm

It will be tough...the wind,the rain and Bradford City who haven't conceded a goal for weeks!! So assuming Lalkovic and Forde play on the wings I will go for a very narrow win ....1-0 is the best bet.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Well, one thing's for sure. We picked up 1 from 6 in the last week and slipped down from 1st to 4th.
So I'd be expecting some sort of reaction from us.
How we respond to setback is a key test for me in terms of our promotion credentials.
It's been good so far, so I'd hope that can continue.

SWS1

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:32 pm

chunkster wrote:Cooks moral must be the lowest it has ever been. He can't score. Then when he does its disallowed :lol: :lol: I would stick bakayeko on the bench in his place. And go with the team that played against United. It's going to be hard to leave ford out though after his motm performance against the swindlers. I will go 2-1 with them scoring from a set piece :D

Swindlers! That's good! :lol:

SWS1

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Oh, yes. And a cracking 5 - 1 win for the super Saddlers. :D
Scorers? I don't care. :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:38 pm

4-0 Evans, Sawyers, Henry and Bradshaw

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:29 pm

chestersaddler wrote:4-0 Evans, Sawyers, Henry and Bradshaw

Chester, how many times must we warn you about necking those pills, you know the 'high' will only be short-lived, then it will be back to reality at 5 on Saturday, with you trying desperately to find plausible excuses for another home defeat! :lol: :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:37 pm

After the profligacy of Tuesday we are going to find chances far harder to come by against Bradford City. We have not scored at home to the Bantams on the last two occasions and I think it will be the case again. I fear a 'mini dip' and a 1-0 home defeat, in front of 5,293, including 1,287 away fans.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:15 am

For me we don't create enough clear cut chances in front of goal, to many shots coming in from distance.

Hope I am wrong but I can see a 0-1 defeat :(

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:29 am

chunkster wrote:It's going to be hard to leave ford out though after his motm performance against the swindlers

Jees, you're easily pleased.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:17 am

3-1 victory.

We'll hammer them.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:08 am

This fixture has never filled me with confidence, Hanson makes our centre halves look like boys.

2-0 loss :( :cry:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
chunkster wrote:It's going to be hard to leave ford out though after his motm performance against the swindlers

Really? I thought he was by far our best attacking outlet, everything went through him. By far his best game in a Walsall top IMO.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:32 pm

We'll put it right, 3-0 Walsall.

JohnnyYen

Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Phil Parkinson brings his in-form Bradford City bantams to Bescot on Saturday looking to extend their unbeaten League One run to 10 games. After a poor start to the season which saw them lose 4-1 in the opening fixture at Swindon Town and still in the relegation zone after 4 games they've climbed the table, and now occupy a play-off place. Parkinson has been the manager for more than 4 years, in that time guiding City to notable wins in cup competitions (remember the Villa? :lol: ) and also being the first manager to take a team from League 2 to a Wembley final, where they had their goalkeeper sent off and lost 5-0 to Swansea City.

Devante Cole and James Hanson are joint leading scorers in League One with 5 each, but although Bradford's defence is almost as mean as ours (19 shipped compared to our 18) it's perhaps significant that in their 19 League games they've only managed to score 21 (compared to our 30). Still, they are a team in form....which currently looks like this:

3 Nov Blackpool (H) League One, Won 1-0
8 Nov Aldershot (A) F.A. Cup, Drew 0-0
14 Nov Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Won 2-0
18 Nov Aldershot (H) F.A. Cup replay, Won 2-0
21 Nov Scunthorpe United (A) League One, Won 0-2
24 Nov Coventry City (H) League One, Drew 0-0

As far as we're concerned, Dean Smith possibly has more than the usual amount of tactical thinking to do before he names his starting XI. Although we were demonstrably a better footballing side than Swindon Town on Tuesday the fact remains that we lost, and the factors behind that may relate to the inclusion of Cook from the start instead of his usual 10-minute cameo at the end of a game, plus bringing on Flanagan near the end (whose sideways pass was intercepted and lashed home for Swindon's winner).

The good news this week is that George Evans' loan has been extended until the New Year, and our only known injury doubts are Sam Mantom's foot/ankle/leg/knee and Andy Taylor's absence (even from the bench). If I had the decision to make I would certainly start with Milan Lalkovic and also bring Kieron Morris back. Whatever combination is settled upon, it would be good if Romaine Sawyers could be enabled to play more upfield, where his assists and scoring chances would be far more beneficial than if he carries on playing at full-back where he spent a lot of the Swindon game.

Predictions? We should keep a clean sheet ( :? ), and I'll go for Tom Bradshaw to maintain his recent goal-a-game form, thus giving us a 1-0 win and 3 welcome points.

UTS !!!

Hello Friend

What a very informative and interesting pre-match synopsis.
I'm aware of the form your team has shown so far this season, so have been having a read through various articles etc.. in the hope of spotting potential weaknesses in your team.
It seems Cook and flanagan get varying degrees of criticism and are viewed as weaker members of the first team squad.
One point from the last six is obviously somethnig you're wanting to urgently address, although reading reports it appears lady luck has more deserted you as opposed to current form.
On Tuesday night, we fought out a very tight game against Coventry, we were aware of their attacking prowess and abiated it by keeping two close knit banks of four.
Whether Parkingson goes for the same stratedgy tomorrow remains to be seen, however I'm inclined to believe he will.
Your goals against column is more impressive than ours (last couple of games aside).
Which leads me to go for a prediction of 1:0, 0:1, 0:0 or 1:1
A couple of years back our Winger Kyle Reid hit one like an exocet into your goal, and he's back with us on loan, so hopefully horses for courses. It'll probably take something special to break you down.
I always felt Walsall were your solid league one side that operated in mid-table, flirting occasionally with the play-offs, this season you've kicked on and are one of the stronger sides, it's good to see, good luck and hope you have a successful season (tomorrow aside of course).

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Well this is a tricky fixture???

I'll go for :-
2-3 :(

Neil Tolson
Lee Sinnott
for us

Steve Staunton
Jamie Lawrence x2
for them

With Andy Petterson to play half a game for each??

5646 in attendance

JohnnyYen

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:09 pm

saddlerphil wrote:Well this is a tricky fixture???

I'll go for :-
2-3 :(

Neil Tolson
Lee Sinnott
for us

Steve Staunton
Jamie Lawrence x2
for them

With Andy Petterson to play half a game for each??

5646 in attendance

Bernie Wright to get the winner!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:4-0 Evans, Sawyers, Henry and Bradshaw

Chester, how many times must we warn you about necking those pills, you know the 'high' will only be short-lived, then it will be back to reality at 5 on Saturday, with you trying desperately to find plausible excuses for another home defeat! :lol: :lol:

Someone is due a tatoring from us. I have a feeling it could be Bradford :D (now what did I do with that bottle)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:01 pm

This is in my mind always one of the toughest games of the season.

I tipped Bradford to win the league at the start of the season, probably won't do that now but after a slow start they're in the top 6 and I expect them to stay there.

Either 0-0 or 0-1 I think.

This is a tricky run of games atm, if Walsall can't beat Shrewsbury then worry.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:21 am

Cook Bingo : 90+2 just ensure the club does not get sued.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:49 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

i've been supporting walsall for over 40 years. what do you expect :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:32 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Really? I thought he was by far our best attacking outlet, everything went through him. By far his best game in a Walsall top IMO.
i rest my case :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Can't make it today so following from a distance.

Tough game on a tough day. Need to be on our mettle with a strong ref.

Unfortunately, I can't see us getting more than a point.

Cook will get on on 62 minutes and that moment will be the first and last time he is noticed.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season