Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League One, Tue Nov 24th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Swindon Town (A) League One, Tue Nov 24th, 7.45pm

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:35 pm

otiswfc wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:Feeling very deflated like a lot of fellow Saddlers today but one thing we can't do is let negativity creep in. We need to stick by the team regardless and put all our efforts into supporting the lads against Bradford. We are still 3rd with a game in hand so let's not be too rash with our comments.

How many did we take does anyone know?

282 our away support so far this season is barclays
Even though that's more than I expected.
I've noticed our potentially big following to Coventry on January 9th might not happen as it's fa cup 3Rd day hopefully we are going to a big premier league club that day instead.

Now if I said that I would be jumped upon for having a go at our fans!

http://www.footballforums.net/showthrea ... ead/page21

The days of us taking a minimum 400 to every away game are long gone although I honestly think the amount of fans following teams away is declining generally.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:Feeling very deflated like a lot of fellow Saddlers today but one thing we can't do is let negativity creep in. We need to stick by the team regardless and put all our efforts into supporting the lads against Bradford. We are still 3rd with a game in hand so let's not be too rash with our comments.

I've noticed our potentially big following to Coventry on January 9th might not happen as it's fa cup 3Rd day hopefully we are going to a big premier league club that day instead.

The days of us taking a minimum 400 to every away game are long gone although I honestly think the amount of fans following teams away is declining generally.

Look at last night. £23 to get in, over £20 in fuel, money for food/drinks, half day off work. It all adds up!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:01 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

Im only stating a fact and you've posted the figures to back them up so thanks :wink:
The season we got promoted from league 2 we averaged 1000+ but I think we all knew we'd win that league most of our fan's are still waiting for the wheels to drop off, If we are still near the top after Xmas we will start taking more away Chesterfield, Coventry, Port Vale, Crewe will all be good following's,
Millwall and Wigan have surprised me they take a decent amount everywhere.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:11 pm

I find it quite tragic how blame is being apportioned to individual players after what was our first away defeat of the season. Like the vast majority of posters on this thread, I had to make do with commentary on WM, during which Evans was referred to as being wasteful and not having the impact he'd perhaps had in previous games. Shortly before his substitution, he was also booked, which for me made his replacement perfectly valid - yet because Flanagan had a slip-up for their goal, he's now deemed not good enough and Smith's tactically inept.

For what it's worth, I didn't think Morris played poorly enough at the weekend to be dropped, but rotating the wingers had served Smith pretty well before yesterday, so I can see why he made that change.

Yes, we've got a soft underbelly, but there's no sign of any kind of crisis. As has already been said, let's just cast our minds back to watching Anton Peterlin attempt to play a through ball to Jon Macken on a cold November evening. We'd have all taken 33 points from 18 games.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I find it quite tragic how blame is being apportioned to individual players after what was our first away defeat of the season. Like the vast majority of posters on this thread, I had to make do with commentary on WM, during which Evans was referred to as being wasteful and not having the impact he'd perhaps had in previous games. Shortly before his substitution, he was also booked, which for me made his replacement perfectly valid - yet because Flanagan had a slip-up for their goal, he's now deemed not good enough and Smith's tactically inept.

For what it's worth, I didn't think Morris played poorly enough at the weekend to be dropped, but rotating the wingers had served Smith pretty well before yesterday, so I can see why he made that change.

Yes, we've got a soft underbelly, but there's no sign of any kind of crisis. As has already been said, let's just cast our minds back to watching Anton Peterlin attempt to play a through ball to Jon Macken on a cold November evening. We'd have all taken 33 points from 18 games.

I don't think anyone thinks there is a crisis.

Smith should have dropped Sawyers deeper and stuck Lalkovic on for Evans. Flanagan is lightweight and misplaces countless passes. He just isn't good enough.

Smith isn't tactically inept, I'm a BIG fan of Smith. He just got his substitutions wrong last night. All managers make mistakes.

Flanagan has done nothing this season to show me he's good enough and neither has cook.

When they're on the pitch I'm 100% behind Cook and Flanagan but that doesn't mean I think they deserve to be on the pitch in the first place.

I'm chuffed with how this season has gone, I really am. I just know it could be a whole lot better without Flanagan and Cook playing.

Saddlers9

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:59 pm

I really do hate to be over critical of players but i can't see what Cook offers at all.
Milan must be feeling really disillusioned that he was replaced for Cook last night after the performance he put in against Sheffield on Saturday.

Although we dominated possession and outplayed them, i felt that we seemed very slow and lethargic and didn't seem to want to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. There definitely seemed to be a lack of urgency and motivation in my opinion last night.

Does anyone think that it might be to do with the team's mentality? We seem to be able to raise our game against the top teams who play at a fast tempo but really struggle with poorer teams who give us more time on the ball. It was the same at Morecambe.

Sawyers had an off game last night and didn't influence much at all really, which goes to show what a significant player he is for us because there is no one else in midfield with much creativity who can make something happen offensively.

Forde had a decent game and looked threatening on the right side. Would like to see him feature more in game in the future.

A quick mention about the referee. How long did he take every time he gave a foul?! He seemed to want to have a 5 minute conversation with a player, instead of playing the game! The accumulation of fouls against us this season is so frustrating and referees need to be much more vigilant and stamp it out with earlier bookings. They broke up our play so many times with cynical fouls with no card, so they continued to do it until the referee sets a precedent. We lose so much momentum during games due to this.

Overall, a very frustrating evening. They seemed like a very poor side and we should have taken advantage. If this team really wants to challenge for promotion, we really should be winning games like last night.

I feel like I'm being very critical even though we should have won the game and didn't play particularly poorly. It was such a bizarre game, i don't understand how we lost it! Anyway, lets move onto Saturday and bounce back with 3 points!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:00 pm

scott_powell wrote:When they're on the pitch I'm 100% behind Cook and Flanagan but that doesn't mean I think they deserve to be on the pitch in the first place.

I'm chuffed with how this season has gone, I really am. I just know it could be a whole lot better without Flanagan and Cook playing.

Different kettle of fish.

Flanagan is a prospect and the only way he will improve is game time. It was a stupid mistake last night, but so was taking a quick free kick to him in that position at that stage of the game. I also love the fact that he wears black boots, like all real footballers should.

I think that Cook on the other hand has shown us everything he has.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:09 pm

aaaae wrote:
scott_powell wrote:When they're on the pitch I'm 100% behind Cook and Flanagan but that doesn't mean I think they deserve to be on the pitch in the first place.

Flanagan is a prospect and the only way he will improve is game time. It was a stupid mistake last night, but so was taking a quick free kick to him in that position at that stage of the game. I also love the fact that he wears black boots, like all real footballers should.

Send him out on loan. He just isn't good enough for a top 6 league one side.

Don't agree with that. The free kick was fine. If he'd have looked right he'd have seen Demetriou was free. He had a lot of time to pick a pass.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:39 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:On a more important note it was first away match I have been to in last 4 decades that Kev leach wasn't there. Heard he is unwell in hospital. I don't think he reads UTS but would just like to say all the best fella hope you get well soon. Walsall legend

Is he the big middle-aged guy who used to smoke a pipe?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:47 pm

We lost last night which is a shame and understandable that people are a bit 'meh' but I'd hardly say the lynch mob is out as most reasonable people know on the whole its all good this season.

Yet, we lose and instead of a wave of negativity on here about it we now have the forum inquisition hovering over a thread losing their cack stating everyone is negative, hates Smith, is ungrateful and should remember how it used to be? . I couldn't give a toss about years ago it has no bearing on this season.

We've flipped from mass suicide wobbling from a while back (which was just as tedious) to the complete other end of the scale now where if you question the team selection or performance even casually people go mental and call you a negative disloyal git. Just calm down.

We lost, its a shame but we outplayed them. The team can move on it and hopefully deal with Bradford on Saturday.

SWS1

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:05 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:We seem to have difficulty in in playing teams at the bottom of the table whereas against those towards the top we seem to be better. This is not just this season but in seasons gone by as well. Wonder why, is it cos we expect to beat them and come up short?

I think it's because we have a problem against teams who want to defend (or are prepared to kick us into next week, ref willing) sometimes both. That and a puzzling inability to turn clear footballing superiority into goals. Better teams think they have a chance and will try to match us, to overcome us properly rather than simply hoping to sneak a win or a draw.
Not a very profound analysis to be sure but that's about the size of it.
:(

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:32 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:We seem to have difficulty in in playing teams at the bottom of the table whereas against those towards the top we seem to be better. This is not just this season but in seasons gone by as well. Wonder why, is it cos we expect to beat them and come up short?

Why did cloggers of Bolton always seem to have the Indian sign over silky smooth Arsenal? How does any Tony Pulis side ever manage to beat anyone never mind do it consistently?

The best team on paper doesn't always win the game. If football was predictable we wouldn't be so interested in watching it.

Last night was frustrating but, apart from the result (obviously!), it was actually good to watch (well as a Walsall fan starved of decent football in many recent seasons anyway). Now there's a debate - be royally entertained but lose games we deserve to win, or play so bad you feel like plucking your own eyes out even if you come away with 3 points? Discuss.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:33 pm

SWS1 wrote:

I think it's because we have a problem against teams who want to defend (or are prepared to kick us into next week, ref willing) sometimes both. That and a puzzling inability to turn clear footballing superiority into goals. Better teams think they have a chance and will try to match us, to overcome us properly rather than simply hoping to sneak a win or a draw.
Not a very profound analysis to be sure but that's about the size of it.
:(

I agree - if you look at the sides we've beaten and played well in doing so, they are often (but not universally I admit) the teams doing well and/or that try to play - Burton, Cov, Gills (regardless of their somewhat niggly tactics such as Gills etc..) On the other hand the sides that have literally stopped us playing through parking up and booting it around or through us, have done jobs on us and taken points (Chesterfield, Swindon, Oldham, Crewe etc)

The quotes I've heard from last night about Swindon fans not believeing they got 3 points and even their Manager staing that they 'were taught a footballing lesson' do nothing to curb the frustration of sloppy play (players fault) and sloppier tactics (Deano's fault..)

I don't want to be too critical coz it has been great so far and much better than many of us anticipated - it's just that expectations are rising and we all want to see this team do well as they have the quality to get us promoted but seem to struggle to exploit lesser quality opposition

Off me soapbox now - UTS :roll:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:34 pm

scott_powell wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Send him out on loan. He just isn't good enough for a top 6 league one side.

Don't agree with that. The free kick was fine. If he'd have looked right he'd have seen Demetriou was free. He had a lot of time to pick a pass.

93rd minute? Push up to the half way line, leave the keeper to punt it up to the front men to scrap for in their box.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Frustrating being a Walsall fan aye it! :?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Jordan cook is useless. If we were paying him 20 quid a week he would be overpaid. I can take players who aren't very good cos that is often what we can afford. This tool is probably on a wedge amongst highest earners at the club. When we hopefully kick him out at end of his contract he will struggle to get a conference team to sign him. Just pay him up now and get rid.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Jordan cook is useless. If we were paying him 20 quid a week he would be overpaid. I can take players who aren't very good cos that is often what we can afford. This tool is probably on a wedge amongst highest earners at the club. When we hopefully kick him out at end of his contract he will struggle to get a conference team to sign him. Just pay him up now and get rid.

I agree. Pay him off now. The least it will do is stop him getting in the way.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 am

Don't think I ever seen a team who deserves support more than this. The 285 who went ast night did is proud. I can't moan cos I have not been to as many matches as usual this season. Family stuff. But go when I can. Talking to blazing last night and both of us would go regardless even if we were in conference. But this team needs support. So many moaning twerp on here. Try following the team before you moan.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 am

sallian wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:On a more important note it was first away match I have been to in last 4 decades that Kev leach wasn't there. Heard he is unwell in hospital. I don't think he reads UTS but would just like to say all the best fella hope you get well soon. Walsall legend

he is tall with a massive conk :lol: I have known Kevin for over 40 years. A top bloke that has followed the saddlers home and away. We stayed in the same hotel a few years ago in Sutton harbour Plymouth. Some of his chanting used to be a bit on the non political side though :| he used to refer to me affectionately as " you little fat bar steward " :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:50 pm

Top bloke he is, probably on a cider drip in hospital :lol:

Joking aside all the best, great walsall fan gone everywhere

sallian
Glitterati

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:11 am

chunkster wrote:
sallian wrote:

he is tall with a massive conk :lol: I have known Kevin for over 40 years. A top bloke that has followed the saddlers home and away. We stayed in the same hotel a few years ago in Sutton harbour Plymouth. Some of his chanting used to be a bit on the non political side though :| he used to refer to me affectionately as " you little fat bar steward " :lol:

Well I do remember a tall guy with short fair/brownish hair....but that is going back a long way....he would have been in 20's....but that is going back 20-odd yrs ago, But there was a gouy I think with glasses and long sideburns....be in late middle age now I guess....He used to be at every game without fail....he was definitely a pillar of support for the club, must be in the top 3 Walsall supporters of all time...was always fantastic to see him as part of the permanent furniture of Walsall away games....and he seemed as quiet and restrained as anything as well which made him seem even more like the top don....but saying that, I go so mental when Walsall score that I can't really tell what anyone else is doing anyway....apart from 4-0 win at Aldershot (MacParland, Robbie Jackson)....when leather jacket long spikey hair rok n rolla guy was lying on the floor and waving his feet in the air like a baby on a changing mat! A thing like that was impossible to miss when it is right next to you! Funny as I brought outsiders/guest to that game....so they had a lunatic asylum impression of Walsall supporters for sure!

And as for tall, at one of the away games quite recently I noticed a lot of the Walsall fans seemed like giants....and I'm slightly over 6ft myself, but a whole load of them seemed like 6ft 4 or more...maybe some were 6ft6..... it was like they were all on Super Cow growth hormone milk....basketball team, or like old Met Cops used to be, a bunch of massive 6ft 6 Rugby players.....maybe I'm not remembering it right

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 am

The last time I saw Kev and his lady was at the Blackpool match and they both seemed to be struggling.
Hope he is ok as I have lost touch with him after first meeting him over 40 years ago.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season