Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League One, Tue Nov 24th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Swindon Town (A) League One, Tue Nov 24th, 7.45pm

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm

DOH!!!

Don't believe that. Stats suggests we've killed it so I guess it's keep playing how we're playing. Wait for that big win!! I didn't see that coming though.

Anyway.... UTS!

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Sloppy

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Mrdollabill wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Deans got it very wrong tonight!! Oh well onto the next game

why did we not just play the same team from saturday?!

Seriously can't see whys he's done that tonight, away at a team short on confidence and he drops our attacking players to the bench??

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Mrdollabill wrote:

Give it a rest.

We dominated by all accounts. It's not always the manager you know.

There has been times he has changed it this Season after a victory and we have won the game.

Sloppy game to have lost against a side that was short on confidence, especially having pulled ourselves level.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Mrdollabill wrote:

???? my sentiments ???

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Slight worry we may start to drop a way a little over the next few weeks

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:

Seriously can't see whys he's done that tonight, away at a team short on confidence and he drops our attacking players to the bench??

We scored the same amount of goals as we did on Saturday (against another team low on confidence) and stats suggested we created more chances.
Playing the same side as Saturday would be risky, injuries wise. I can see what you're saying but it does come across a little overly critical.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Don't wanna get carried away but what was Deano thinking tonight?

Like many others, I struggle to see why he persists with Cook and Flanaghan - the sub strategy and poor finishing costs us dear tonight but 1 point from last 2 games - should have been 6

11 corners and 56% possession - we are gonna regret this if it persists...

C'mon Deano - why rest an attacking group when going well and no injuries.. Swindon were there for the taking tonight. Poor stuff..

UTS
Last edited by coop63 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:

We scored the same amount of goals as we did on Saturday (against another team low on confidence) and stats suggested we created more chances.
Playing the same side as Saturday would be risky, injuries wise. I can see what you're saying but it does come across a little overly critical.

So suggesting we should of played Lalkovic one of our in form players is being over critical?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Thats pissed me right off.

Jordan Cook had another poor game, This is actually beyond a farce now. He must be on a load of money and he is trying to justify his signing.

Absolutely no tactical advantage bring on Flanagan. He just aint good enough and the odd hollywood pass in a game is masking the fact he is not a league player. STUPID substitution.

Poor old Baxendale, the lad continues to watch cack like Flanagan given 5678 chances whilst he rots. Even Baxendale with one leg is as good as Flanagan. If he is tryin to rotate, why is it only Cook and Flanagan who get in. Piffle.

Smith just loves gingers.

I will get over it in about ten minutes, but in the mean time i will have another gin :mrgreen:

UTS

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Poor result.

Smith obviously watched Swindon and saw something we didn't - he is the manager after all.

We clearly were battering them with the starting XI - so perhaps Smith didn't change shape because it wasn't like we needed a huge rescue act? I'd have started with Lalkovic and Forde.

Let's not hang on it too much - tonight won't decide whether we finish in the play-offs or not and we would have all been sexually aroused if I'd told you we would be in this position after the dissapointing 1-1 draw on the opening day to Oldham - and EVERYONE would have said I was blindly delusionally optimistic.

Dust ourselves down, brillant season so far and the lads need a huge atmosphere Saturday against a Bradford side with 7, yes SEVEN consecutive cleansheets to boast coming in. Plenty to be positive. It's not as though we are playing badly, looking poor and creating nothing.

Onwards, UTS!

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:02 pm

I will be shouted down but sounds a lot like history repeating itself!
Last edited by dinkydotsaddler on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03 pm

We were top and now we're 4th - all right with a game in hand - but even with that game in hand we can't go top again so we're on the slide! Let's hope I'm wrong and we win on Saturday and resume the form we have had!

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm not going to criticise as Smith and the team are well in credit with me this season but I have to ask...

Cook. What is the point?

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:09 pm

The lads need to give a good show on Saturday to put this right

I'm as critical as anyone of Deano tonight but in all fairness the guys need to perform and if we can't convert all that possession into goals then they need to stand up too..

Bradford are a good side and aren't conceding many at the moment so could be a good contest on Saturday

Lets get behind them - UTS :wink:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:14 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:Walsall do attract some funny onions.

1) The aim from this position, regardless of the start to the season is to scrape 6th place on the final day.
2) With that in mind, a team finishing 6th can actually have periods in the season of 1 win in 8, or 3 wins in 12 - especially with our start.
3) Swindon were always going to have an answer tonight after the Fleetwood result and winning their last home game.
4) Anyone that expected or still expects us to get automatically promoted is insane, it was obvious after slow starts that Wigan, Coventry and Posh would have the budgets to go and sign X players in January or loan players in between - to a degree, finishing in the top 2 is out of our hands.

The teams with good budgets and valid expectations are coming on strongly now - with a tough run ahead of us, lets see if we are within touching distance of 8th after January with Tom, Romaine and Rico intact.

6th would represent a brillant achievement all being said and done....

Especially when half of you had Smith down for the sack by this point in the season...

Enjoy the ride and GET BEHIND THEM. Poor/awful results will happen.

Stop talking sense!!! Not allowed on this board

Swindon's "answer" so far seems to have been to kidnap Tom Bradshaw and smuggle in Ryan Jarvis.

As you were saying...... :lol:

Smith paid the ransom at HT and Tom reappeared.
Sadly, it looked as if Deano then accepted a bribe to put Flanagan on.
Do keep up.

Totally wasteful performance against a side who were there for the taking.
Appalling finishing from Jarvis in the 1st half, Evans throughout the game, and weak contributions from both Forde, with the ball, and Cook , without it, meant that all of our possession was wasted ( with one exception).
Losing to decent teams is acceptable; contriving to lose a game to such a poor team is unprofessional.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Flanagan may get better. Cook won't and his inclusion can only be a tinkering move.
Baxendale is unlikely to improve much now and you have to wonder if he will be included soon to justify his 3yr contract.

The positives are that we still running the show and creating chances.
Also with a load of games coming up, if we win the next two this will be shortest sticky patch in history.
The other good news is that everyone else in the league is as inconsistent.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:18 pm

I have to agree: Cook, what IS the point? Strange, strange decision tonight.

It appears Sawyers was playing too deep, like Saturday.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:23 pm

A lacklustre performance against a side who were there for the taking. We had more than enough chances to win the game but were not ruthless enough when it mattered. Including Cook in the starting line up was a surprise but it took me an hour to notice he was playing. A terrible pass from Flanagan to gift them the winner but it can happen to the best of players. Rico was excellent and Forde wasteful with his delivery at times. A night to forget. Onwards to Saturday:-)

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:29 pm

i think that cook and flanagan played because ling asked deano to play em :roll:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Swindon fan leaving the ground said to his mate "can someone tell me how the hell we won that?"

Summed it up nicely.

I cannot remember many seasons when I have watched us away from home fully expecting us to win. We were a class above , yet lost, like a third division Arsenal. Lovely football but lacking an end product.

Sawyers played way too deep tonight.
Forde was excellent in the first half.
Top drawer finish from Tom.

Ultimately it was two individual errors that cost us tonight.

Never mind, it is a pleasure to watch.

UTS

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:45 pm

Very hard to criticise Smith this season but what is it with Cook he must be like Messi on the training ground because what other player has Smith let get away with being so bad so consistently Ashley Hemmings and Mal Benning made a more positive impacts in Walsall shirts than Cook ever has and look what happened to them, I really don't understand it but he'll get his 20 minute run out again on Saturday do nothing then same again vs Chesterfield next week very strange situation.
Having said all that I'm not to disappointed we're 4th at the end of November if we finish 10th and have a good run in the FA cup I'll still be happy with the season anything more will be a bonus.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:48 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:We were top and now we're 4th - all right with a game in hand - but even with that game in hand we can't go top again so we're on the slide! Let's hope I'm wrong and we win on Saturday and resume the form we have had!

On the slide from top spot, what a disaster. :lol:

Did you expect a serene match to the title or something. Sorry to break it to you but there are better teams in this division and some of them lost tonight aswell so all is not lost.

Xmas/New Year period will tell a lot I feel.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 pm

1) The aim from this position, regardless of the start to the season is to scrape 6th place on the final day.
2) With that in mind, a team finishing 6th can actually have periods in the season of 1 win in 8, or 3 wins in 12 - especially with our start.
3) Swindon were always going to have an answer tonight after the Fleetwood result and winning their last home game.
4) Anyone that expected or still expects us to get automatically promoted is insane, it was obvious after slow starts that Wigan, Coventry and Posh would have the budgets to go and sign X players in January or loan players in between - to a degree, finishing in the top 2 is out of our hands.

The teams with good budgets and valid expectations are coming on strongly now - with a tough run ahead of us, lets see if we are within touching distance of 8th after January with Tom, Romaine and Rico intact.

Especially when half of you had Smith down for the sack by this point in the season...

We are as good as anyone in this league.

Bonser needs to stick his ond in his pocket and get a couple of quality players in key positions , that is all.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:54 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Bonser needs to stick his ond in his pocket and get a couple of quality players in key positions , that is all.
NO we can play as well as anyone in this league. but we don't seem to be clinical :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:57 pm

chunkster wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

NO we can play as well as anyone in this league. but we don't seem to be clinical :wink:

Totally agree. A clinical side as good as us would have buried Swindon tonight. Only a couple of players short though - one up front.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:03 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Totally agree. A clinical side as good as us would have buried Swindon tonight. Only a couple of players short though - one up front.

Always makes me laugh when football fan's say we are a good team we just need a striker /midfielder /defender and we'd be alright :lol: we're all guilty of it we're either a good side or we're not. I personally think our squad as it stands Might just be good enough to finish top 6 Might. What is a certainty though is all the team's currently around us will be looking at strengthening in January.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

lets hope that we sign a couple of players in the january window then. and not sell a couple :wink: that will define our season. and bonser's intentions :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 pm

You don't always get what you deserve in football....I know how Southampton must have felt when they left Bescot a few years back after losing 1-0 after dominating the game!! As for the team selection Dean must have felt the 11 chosen would do the job and he could have been right looking at the stats. 60% possession,19 shots and 11 corners!! Listening to the commentary I got the impression that two of our better chances fell to Evans who missed the target...now he is a very good player so I suppose all we can say is that it happens to the best of players sometimes. I do hope we can bounce back against Bradford and the Shrews...UTS .]

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:47 pm

How long does cook have left on his deal???

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season