Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (H) League One 21st Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield Utd (H) League One 21st Nov, 3pm

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:03 pm

I don't think a draw was a bad result, even if we had enough chances in the first half alone to out the game to bed. They looked a decent side to be fair, and I'll be surprised if they don't finish in the top six come May.

I actually thought we dominated the first half without playing as well as we can. Lalkovic's movement and positivity with the ball at his feet were great, but I thought his end product was poor. The run where he cut in from the left and shot from an impossible angle rather than cutting the ball back to an unmarked Bradshaw was really frustrating. In spite of that though, we still had Evans, Sawyers, Bradshaw, and Morris looking really sharp in the final third.

They were always likely to give us a bit more to think about in the second half, and the game became much more open. Demetriou and Henry were much more involved going forward, but we couldn't quite find that killer ball to put Bradshaw through on goal.

Their goal had a slice of luck about it in that Chambers (I think) slipped just as he was about to block the shot, but they did have a couple of other decent chances too, which made the second half much less one-sided than the first. They also did a really good job of taking advantage of a very lenient ref and sharing bookings around to make sure we weren't quite able to put them to the sword when we broke forward.

All in all, I suppose we should be winning games like that if we want to end up in the top two, but I'd be more worried if we'd played badly. Still a lot of positives to take into the next game.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I don't think a draw was a bad result, even if we had enough chances in the first half alone to out the game to bed. They looked a decent side to be fair, and I'll be surprised if they don't finish in the top six come May.

I actually thought we dominated the first half without playing as well as we can. Lalkovic's movement and positivity with the ball at his feet were great, but I thought his end product was poor. The run where he cut in from the left and shot from an impossible angle rather than cutting the ball back to an unmarked Bradshaw was really frustrating. In spite of that though, we still had Evans, Sawyers, Bradshaw, and Morris looking really sharp in the final third.

They were always likely to give us a bit more to think about in the second half, and the game became much more open. Demetriou and Henry were much more involved going forward, but we couldn't quite find that killer ball to put Bradshaw through on goal.

Their goal had a slice of luck about it in that Chambers (I think) slipped just as he was about to block the shot, but they did have a couple of other decent chances too, which made the second half much less one-sided than the first. They also did a really good job of taking advantage of a very lenient ref and sharing bookings around to make sure we weren't quite able to put them to the sword when we broke forward.

All in all, I suppose we should be winning games like that if we want to end up in the top two, but I'd be more worried if we'd played badly. Still a lot of positives to take into the next game.

Got to agree with your Milan comments. He was a breath of fresh air in the team but was just lacking that bit more decisiveness and composure. Morris had an off game today and if he was on form
could have been the extra edge to win the game.

Good point though! Happy about it because in fairness to Sheff they did have a couple of good chances (a 1 on 1 which Neil saved, and also a penalty shout)

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:38 pm

This was 2 points lost against a good and physical side ,we really must take our chances when on top and dominating.I agree with other posters about being unlucky hitting posts, crossbars and saves but that means nothing if you don't put it in the net.
Good football yes but lets make it count and get what it deserves a win.
We dominated first half but second half more even due to good sub by sheff manager bringing on I think no 18 and playing ball direct to him causing problems for our defence after easy first half.
Top of league closing up now with favourites moving in.Never expected to finish in top two but hope we can hang in top 6.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:41 pm

I've seen us play better this season but we still looked really good. Although we looked really impressive going forward, I think our two centre backs looked really solid, as they have done for most of the season.

The first twenty were a bit of a scrap but that's where the lines of O'Connor and Chambers come into their own. Campbell-Ryce seemed to have the better of Demetriou, but he stuck to his task manfully and ended up winning that battle. Rico took a while to get into the game too, but looked like his normal self after the interval.

George Evans could prove to be the difference this season if we can get him tied down
to a longer loan. It's been years since we've had a player in the centre of the park who's big and powerful, and really drives the team forward. It shows the level that Sawyers is playing at too, as they seem to be on the same wavelength, highlighted by the move for the goal.

Morris had an off day, whereas Milan looked lively, but tired towards the end. Glad TOM
Got his goal, but the ball just isn't falling for him at the moment. He was still his busy self though.

A few have said that their keeper was outstanding, I saw it slightly differently. He made one rely good double save, but alot of the others were routine. He seemed to flap a lot at crosses and the majority of saves he made, the ball bounced free, it just never seemed to drop to one of our players.

I thought they had a stone waller tired down too when Etheridge went in for a 50-50, we might have got away with one there.

Probably would have taken a point at the start of the game, a win on Tuesday would keep us nicely in the mix

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:01 pm

After seeing the highlights we really could have scored 3/4

At the time I thought O'Connor got the ball for their penalty appeal... But after seeing it back that was an absolute stone wall penalty and red card. No doubt about it.

SWS1

Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Disappointed but, Hey! half the National League used to be Football League - and we're challenging for the Championship :D
However, games we really should have won (today, Crewe etc) are going to cost us dear this season.
Still, we probably have the best footballing side in the league this season, we are exceeding all expectations and we could put together a run that could take us clear. How long is it since we could say that? :D
Brilliant job by DS and his team over several seasons. :D
SMITHIN! :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:08 am

We need to get more streetwise. There were times when is Sheffield United where taking time to take throwings, rolling around after fouls to slow play down and put us out of of our stride. We should have done the same to them after we went one up when they upped their tempo. We need to find the same mentality . Niggly little fouls shared between the team. Roll around after fouls like your leg is broken . Take an age over throw ins. Anything that can stop a teams momentum.

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:44 am

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:28 am

It amazes me how poor Sheffield United are season in season out. Last season they seemed to attempt trying to win every game 1-0 to get promoted and that flopped as they were way off automatic promotion and then Swindon trashed them in the play offs.

Look at their forward line, Jose Baxter, Matt Done, Billy Sharp, Connor Sammon, Che Adams. They should be walking the league with that seeing as they're reasonably solid in defence. Yet they come to Bescot every season and just about scrape a 1-1.

It's not like they even have a bad manager anymore, Adkins has 3 promotions from this league. Strange club.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:41 am

SoccerHQ wrote:It amazes me how poor Sheffield United are season in season out. Last season they seemed to attempt trying to win every game 1-0 to get promoted and that flopped as they were way off automatic promotion and then Swindon trashed them in the play offs.

Look at their forward line, Jose Baxter, Matt Done, Billy Sharp, Connor Sammon, Che Adams. They should be walking the league with that seeing as they're reasonably solid in defence. Yet they come to Bescot every season and just about scrape a 1-1.

It's not like they even have a bad manager anymore, Adkins has 3 promotions from this league. Strange club.

Agreed. They look down their nose at clubs like us, but the fact they are still in this division, continually play turgid football and look set to struggle to achieve promotion again makes them the biggest joke club of all.

While excellent in numbers, their support is cack in terms of actual noise too.

SWS1

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Sheff U is now in the past. Onwards to Swindon. They are not good this season (to put it mildly) and got absolutely thrashed on Saturday by an indifferent (to put it mildly) team. I have a bad feeling about this one (but what do I know*? I had a good feeling about Sheff U and look what happened).
:?

*Not a lot, in case you were in any doubt :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Thats an absolute stonewall penalty they should have had :lol:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:29 pm

That would have been a red card too! We certainly got away with that one!

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Enjoyable game. Should have won could have lost. It showed how hard it is to break down a packed defence. Their keeper was man of the match although he got away with the ball bouncing of his chest four times!. However unlike last season it was not a tame home draw. Three points on Tuesday will put us back on a two average, which over the season will guarantee automatic promotion. Looking forward to it.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 am

I appreciate your efforts on these highlight videos Pete!

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:39 am

I thought we were brilliant Saturday. Would have taken a point beforehand but I think that I overestimated them, were no where near as good as I expected. Should have definitely taken all 3 points, but some would argue we were lucky to get a point and finish with 10 men after Etheridge's great late 1 on 1 save and Jimmy O'Connor somehow not being sent off for that challenge. A plethora of positives to take, another point on the board and we go again tomorrow night!

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:37 am

I thought we were quite flat at times and lacked match sharpness after two weeks off.
We looked too content to try and walk it in against a good, physical side who can play a bit as well.
With more tempo and more running off the ball at times, we could have picked them apart.
We are such a good side that we can win a game like this against most, but Sheffield United had too much idea.

It's no good moaning about the referee, I've seen those penalty appeals given for a start.
It's up to us to think through what is required to win the game in these circumstances.
This is how Evans ended up with man of the match because his play was more direct than anyone else.
Perhaps if Morris had played better his direct play might well have made the difference.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:38 pm

You must have been at a different game to me "Leics"....I agree with"cooper" although I agree Morris was a little below par but it was a very good team performance. If we repeat that tomorrow we will win at Swindon.

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Whitters wrote:

Cheers :D

(Just need someone who can do the Sky highlights - for the benefit of us overseas Saddlers.)

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Putting the disappointing result to one side, the reason I decided not to renew my season ticket was because in the main the football on offer lacked excitement, was boring and attending became a chore.

This performance was the complete opposite, in that it offered excitement and enterprise and I came away happy with the performance, but as I said disappointed with the result.

We have reduced the amount of pointless and unpenetrative passing, that became tedious, and have replaced it with more incisive and purposeful passing, combined with more players capable and willing to take on and beat an opponent to create openings.

We look a very good side that of course has room for improvement, be that with more experience/consistency, or perhaps with an addition or two.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Cheers :D

(Just need someone who can do the Sky highlights - for the benefit of us overseas Saddlers.)

Be my guest.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... ffield-utd

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Can't view it without being (pretending to be) in the UK.

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 pm

This can be viewed in almost every country in the world, and has the penalty incident - which Channel 5 didn't show.

http://youtu.be/5qUW3_smmA0

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:44 am

That penalty incident is certainly interesting.
O'Connor just touches the ball which probably saves him.

As for my earlier comment, I think we played well.
But I do think with more urgency we could have won it.
It's a bit like Sawyers argument, it looks like genius when it works...

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season