Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Emirates F.A.Cup, 7th Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Emirates F.A.Cup, 7th Nov, 3pm

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Firstly what a poor gate for a team top of the league playing such good football. It is clear that to build a club to compete in the Championship on a regular basis is currently beyond our reach with this level of support.However as this is a match thread I have to say we were not so good today. We only saw patches of our passing game and on another day we might well of drawn or lost. Positives for me were the continued form and goal from George Evans and in the second half a good battling performance from Matt Preston.
The injury situation is becoming a worry and we may need further reinforcements in the near future.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Top of the league or not the gate was no surprise , it was a totally uninspiring fixture. I even think the players struggled to get themselves up for it!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:24 pm

I said in a previous post that if it was free today they'd struggle to half fill it.

the magic of the fa cup for a league side in the early rounds had obviously lost its appeal despite the ticket prices.

the draw was uninspiring as it gets hence why only 95 Fleetwood fans could be bothered.

I really wouldn't read much into it as its not far off xmas and not everyone can afford an extra match on top of the league cup run weve had and maybe people had xmas shopping to do etc.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:27 pm

maximus
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Give priority to those who bother to attend the cup matches - still chance to do that if we're at home next round.

Get a note from your Mum. That should do it![/quote]

I will try that. Might not work at nearly 41 though :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Well, we did what we had to do and are in the hat for the next round. Not sure why people are surprised about the attendance, the level of 'home' support today [2,437] was higher than for the Shrewsbury cup-tie last season [2,365]. Perhaps Crewe made their game free for season ticket holders? Anyway, we'll have 6,000 in a couple of weeks when we play Hoofball United.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Off to a Courteeners concert in Shepherds Bush on Friday 4th December, Mrs is on about going to see some santa thing in Hyde Park on the Saturday so hoping we get drawn away to a London team.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:31 pm

No surprise here, said to my Dad at 2.30pm it would be around 2,500.

Not great today and we rode our luck towards the end with Fleetwood missing acouple of gilt edged chances, no idea how they are in the bottom 4 after what I've seen today.

Bradshaw was very poor today, perhaps he was trying too hard after his call up but his control and passing was way off and he needs a goal off his backside, I assume Smith thought the game was won and took him of for ? (that winger/striker chap) and not risk him picking up an injury before this big week in his young career, there's no way it was tactical decision as no one would bring on thingymejob as a tactical ploy. Anyway £300 saved again from him being an unused sub :D

I assume Etheridge may have been struggling with his knee due to his kicking being really poor and going off at Half time, Lalkovic sat on the 'bench' during the 2nd half so no concerns there.

Well taken goals by Evans and Forde, Evans looks a class act.

Not great as I said but won 2-0 so that's a huge plus, any non-league team at home please and then a money spinning tie away too Brighton in the 3rd round.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:41 pm

after looking at the reports of us not playing well. and still winning. speaks volumes for the team.and shows how far we have come :P i don't think mantom will get back into the team while george is here. oh well at least if man city haven't got any plans for him we have got him a move to a championship team next season. hold on it may be us :mrgreen:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Forgot to mention Chambers was immense today.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:04 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:Here's one for the record. We are as it stands the highest ranked team still left in the FA Cup. Wonder if that's ever happened before :D

In 1967 I reckon.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:23 pm

I feel that we did to Fleetwood what Morecambe did to us, in that we took our chances and they did not.
Fleetwood played well in the second half and had possibly the outstanding player on the field in Jimmy Ryan.
Another worrying performance from Downing, but Preston improved after a few dodgy instances early on.
A very important win for us, as we need to become more reliable at home and this result will help to increase the confidence and belief, despite not really playing well.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:37 am

Kevlar wrote:
ObiWan7 wrote:Here's one for the record. We are as it stands the highest ranked team still left in the FA Cup. Wonder if that's ever happened before :D

In 1967 I reckon.

I think the last time we were the highest ranked team in the draw for the second round was 2000. I'm sure we were top of the league all the way through until mid December when I saw us fold and give up our top place at Millwall who had just appointed Mark Mghee and retained top spot until the end of the season while we had to make do with the play-offs. We got to the third round that year as it was definitely the year we lost 3-2 at home to West Ham.

As for today, job done. £18,000 of prize money in the bank and at least one more pay day to come.

Whilst I was disappointed the Shrewsbury game was postponed, I think the rest will do us good. It would have done Tom good too. He ain't quite been the same since the groin tweak that kept him out of the Chelsea game.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:02 am

PT wrote:
Kevlar wrote:

In 1967 I reckon.

I think the last time we were the highest ranked team in the draw for the second round was 2000.

For the 2nd round , I think you're right :D .

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:13 am

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:27 am

Did anyone notice that Fleetwood's David Ball has been nominated for FIFA's goal of the year alongside the likes of Messi and Carlos Tevez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQtYoJqHJ4

usa_saddler

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Guest wrote:

If you are not in the UK, and don't have VPN...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtIJtF0G-wM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for the post for those that are 'internationally' based. Get sick of the BBC blocking everything!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Two nice goals there.

Another clean sheet.

Happy days :D

newjersey exile

Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Many thanks for posting the highlights Glitterati! I tried a few online places but no dice.

Love the BBC usually but this it sucks they don't post for foreign viewers.

I may have to write a letter to the Times .............. or something.

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:03 am

If you want to watch the BBC TV highlights programme, usa and newjersey, it is here:

http://hls.dvr.gv.filmon.com/schdld/25/45/311/2015.11.08/2815255.mp4

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:11 am

Guest wrote:If you want to watch the BBC TV highlights programme, usa and newjersey, it is here:

http://hls.dvr.gv.filmon.com/schdld/25/45/311/2015.11.08/2815255.mp4

The 32 seconds of Walsall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDxieNCUYNg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:37 pm

sallian wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:Just wait till Baxendale comes on....

poor guy has been abandoned to our loss, no doubt someone else will pick him up and revive his talent and energy

Baxendale plays best in a number 10 role.... unfortunately for Bax we have the best number 10 in this league...

maybe he can go to Nandos with Grimes to form your "Dream team"

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season