Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (H) League One, Oct 31st, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Re: Gillingham (H) League One, Oct 31st, 3pm

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:51 am

.. As for the match? An absolute cracker that had everything that keeps you on the edge of your seat:

Excellent football mixed withe the rugged side which I prefer. Gillingham are by far the best footballing side that I have seen this season and have an excellent player in Dack. I just loved the read my name after he scored the penalty. It reminded me of Kavanagh in the play off match against Stoke so many years ago. How sweet it was then to end up with all 3 points.

I haven't been to Gillingham for years but, unless they buckle, I'll be there for the return fixture.

With Burton and Coventry winning again it's going to be one hell of a roller coaster ride of a season.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:06 am

Leatherman wrote:I haven't been to Gillingham for years but, unless they buckle, I'll be there for the return fixture.

Good Friday isn't it? May make my first trip there...

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:56 am

Thought I'd delay my post until I'd properly calmed down but having woken
up still beaming it's not going to be the case. Yesterday was just a fantastic advert for league one football. It was a game that had absolutely everything bar, surprisingly, a red card. The red was poor, granted, but it's a shame if we let his performance dominate what was a cracking game. In a weird way, his inept performance added something.

I thought their two goals were poor from our point of view. A Gills fan would say the first was a top class ball through, but I'm sure most would say it was terrible to get caught out with a ball in between two centre backs from our side. The second was a clear penalty. Downing may have got a shove in the back but rule number one for a defender is don't let the ball bounce, let alone twice. Once Dack was goal side, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

A note on Dack, I thought he was outstanding. Yes, he may have put himself about a bit, but everything he got the ball you felt he was going to make something happen. On a par with Romaine in terms of quality, we'll both do well to keep hold of them come January.

Cracking goal from Morris really changed the game, not sure if it gave us a bit of belief or shocked them a little but from then on we really took the game to them and dominated through most of the second half. They then seemed to come back into it and had a few moments from set pieces where I thought we defended really well, with a body always willing to be thrown in the way.

We'd have all settled for the draw but it was great to show such character to net the winner. It's moments like this where you really start to believe. Important now to start get a winning streak going for a few games, no team has been able to take the league by the scruff of the neck yet, hopefully that can be us.

Finally, I thought George Evans was magnificent and has given us something we've lacked for a long long time. I'm a big fan of Mantom, but he's not that big, powerful player in the centre of the park who'll really drive the team forward and commit players. Evans seems to pick the right ball every time, and really breaks with purpose. A season loan would be a master stroke, I fear City may have bigger plans for him in terms of another loan to a Champ club.

Rico, Milan, Romaine and Morris all excellent too! Nice to have that singing section upstairs get a but of recognition too. It's a shame most of the singers downstairs have ST's otherwise more would join I'm sure, myself included

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:31 am

Every year you hope Gillingham might turn up without the cowardly tackles, the spreading of bookings throughout the team, and the needless diving, and every year you end up disappointed. Bradley Dack aside (who still had his fair share of prima donna moments), they weren't the advert for League One football you'd hope they might be.

Anyway, onto us. I know Smith doesn't want to hammer his players, but we were woeful until Morris scored that thunderbolt out of nowhere. We let our centre halves try to start play far too much given that neither's distribution is the best. Not only that, but Chambers did very little to protect them, and they looked like hurting us every time their ventured into our half. I'm not sure what was going on between Etheridge and Downing before the penalty, but that was embarrassing for both of them.

The plus point to the system we played yesterday is that it gives us an extra player in the final third - as shown by Lalkovic's goal. It was a special ball across from Evans, but also needed someone other than Bradshaw in the box. Similarly, Morris is a real threat cutting in from the right and his quick feet in and around the box are a defender's nightmare.

Once we equalised, Sawyers really started pulling the strings, and both fullbacks got forward really effectively. To have one fullback break into the box in the last minute, and the opposite fullback hammer that cross home, that tells you all you need to know about how much more attacking intent we have this season. We've scored 10 goals since Bradshaw last found the net, and it's not like he's playing badly either.

Let's enjoy being top and hope we stay there. It'll take one mammoth effort to be there come May, but this squad make you feel like anything's possible,

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:57 am

Gripper wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:I'm sorry. Cook came on (to ensure the club complied with its contractual obligations) and proceeded to do eff all .... as is usual. At least he kept out of the way.

:lol: sad but true

You're doing him a disservice here chaps, he once again provided an assist (By cocking up his chance, same as Vs. Chesterfield).

In all fairness to Cook, who I'm not a huge fan of, he did really well to get a touch to the deflected cross from Rico.
Had he not done so, the game would've ended 2-2 and we'd have been discussing what might have been...

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Yeh, totally clueless, anyone who couldn't see that was was atrocious needs their eyes testing.

Look at our disciplinary record - were pretty much immaculate, sometimes to our detriment, because in games like today, we could be dirty, diving cheats and get away with it. Their penalty is a prime example...look at Downings reaction to being pushed, and compare it to Dacks reaction. Downing carries on regardless, Dack goes down like he's just taken a bullet from a sniper.

Just look at the Collins sending off...it's a lesser challenge than the one on Sawyers. You can't have different rules in different leagues...referees that make those kind of mistakes should be banished to the lower non league. This ref made two of those mistakes in 90 mins.

Fair play to smith for not losing his cool on the touch line. I would have done. I hope the club do regularly report the the FA on referee performances given our good discipline record.

just seen the Collins tackle and you are right, its like baxendale tackling you compared to the lunge on sawyers, I mean it wasn't as if the ball was their to be won, it had gone, me and my friend both looked at each other and said hes off as soon as the bloke come off the floor with both feet, no way he could be in control, from behind, sawyers can be thankful he was able to carry on.

I really hope the refs display and we have to add his assistants in this as well, are looked at by the FA, over the course of the game, its the most inept performance I have seen in 20 odd years going.

chambers as well second half clearly won the ball knocked it side ways and the ref blows a free kick against us, couldn't even get angry by this point as it was so head scratching bad.

so glad we got the win!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Just seen the tackle on Saddlers Players ... Definately a red card!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:04 pm

I believe everything that needs saying has been said above. What a fabulous, fabulous win.
A great team effort, for years a Walsall squad would have crumbled and given in to an inevitable defeat when going 2-0 down, but now there is grit and determination that has been so sadly lacking until this season. I was overwhelmed by the crowds reaction yesterday, the joy expressed when we scored the winner was what following your beloved team is all about! Long may it continue throughout the season.
I cannot speak because I have ruined my vocal chords with screaming so much!
The day only spoiled by a huge, switch your engine off cus weem gonna be here for yonks, tailback on the return journey up the M6. Got back home at 8.30!! :evil:
I am in heaven today, my team are top 'o the League and we deserve to be. :D :D :D :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Lovely post AM...glad you enjoyed the game ..please come again if thats how we play when you are there :D

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:15 pm

scott_powell wrote:Just seen the tackle on Saddlers Players ... Definately a red card!

Dack's pulling back of Rico by the neck warranted a red in my oppinion. He may have been their best player but he came across as a nasty little weasel of a bloke.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I thought it was quite a good game yesterday.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:41 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:I thought it was quite a good game yesterday.

It certainly was and it had everything.

A pantomime villain, the good guys all but crushed and a proper Hollywood ending.

Football with spice mmmmmm.

Saddlers9

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:57 pm

What a game that was! These are the type of games that makes supporting a local team like Walsall worth it! There's no way a glory hunter/arm chair fan will ever experience a feeling like we all experienced yesterday.

Back to the game. I have to admit that i thought the writing was on the wall when their first two goals went in. We usually struggle to break down teams at home; especially once teams get an advantage and sit back and defend.

Although Gillingham looked like they possessed some guile and talent with their passing and attacking, i thought they were a vile team, who thanks to the inept performance of the referee, were obliged to continue with their rough and aggressive style throughout the game. I was really thinking about contacting someone from the FA to complain, it was an absolute joke, although i can understand why he gave the penalty. It was infuriating to watch because every time we looked like making some ground and countering, they would deliberately break up the play so they could get back into position so we could never find a rhythm. It was clear to see that their manager did some homework on us because they completely surrounded and set out to stop Sawyers from playing in the first half and crowded Rico and Milan also down the left flank.

Like many others have mentioned, the way Walsall turned that game around just shows the fight, determination and resilience that this team possesses this season. Hopefully we can continue to take points consistently and don't pick up anymore injuries. We have got goals all over the pitch and someone epitomised it brilliantly with the example of one fullback crossing and the other finishing our third goal.

Something that resonated strongly with me was what a great game that was for those who received free tickets! Hopefully that game will have captured the emotion of a few new casual fans.

At the bottom of the Tile's Choice stand, just before the end of the game, i saw a couple of young lads who were probably about 6 or 7. The look of amazement and awe on their faces as they looked up at all of the fans singing loud was a joy to watch. From seeing the smiles on their faces, i know they will be lifelong Saddlers fans after that. It took me back to when i first had that feeling as a young kid and you can't beat that feeling!

UTS!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:07 pm

A bit like the 2nd world war was ' bit of a tussle' :mrgreen:

It has been literally years since I have heard such a frenzied reaction from the Tile Choice (Floors to Go) stand...the 'singing section' has certainly developed an atmosphere, at last!

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Saddlers9 wrote:What a game that was! These are the type of games that makes supporting a local team like Walsall worth it! There's no way a glory hunter/arm chair fan will ever experience a feeling like we all experienced yesterday.

Back to the game. I have to admit that i thought the writing was on the wall when their first two goals went in. We usually struggle to break down teams at home; especially once teams get an advantage and sit back and defend.

Although Gillingham looked like they possessed some guile and talent with their passing and attacking, i thought they were a vile team, who thanks to the inept performance of the referee, were obliged to continue with their rough and aggressive style throughout the game. I was really thinking about contacting someone from the FA to complain, it was an absolute joke, although i can understand why he gave the penalty. It was infuriating to watch because every time we looked like making some ground and countering, they would deliberately break up the play so they could get back into position so we could never find a rhythm. It was clear to see that their manager did some homework on us because they completely surrounded and set out to stop Sawyers from playing in the first half and crowded Rico and Milan also down the left flank.

Like many others have mentioned, the way Walsall turned that game around just shows the fight, determination and resilience that this team possesses this season. Hopefully we can continue to take points consistently and don't pick up anymore injuries. We have got goals all over the pitch and someone epitomised it brilliantly with the example of one fullback crossing and the other finishing our third goal.

Something that resonated strongly with me was what a great game that was for those who received free tickets! Hopefully that game will have captured the emotion of a few new casual fans.

At the bottom of the Tile's Choice stand, just before the end of the game, i saw a couple of young lads who were probably about 6 or 7. The look of amazement and awe on their faces as they looked up at all of the fans singing loud was a joy to watch. From seeing the smiles on their faces, i know they will be lifelong Saddlers fans after that. It took me back to when i first had that feeling as a young kid and you can't beat that feeling!

UTS!

Totally agree - I'd already posted about their strategy to work on an already poor ref (he was diabolical) and I guess it works against other teams that roll over under the pressure but not this Walsall team.. What a great response from our boys - sheer class and professionalism throughout..

Yes it was a penalty (no doubting that) but once we got the momentum, I felt we would go on to win the game (and the fact that it was soooo late was pure theatre given their results this season!)

Love your point about the 2 lads looking up at the fans - it's a long time since I've left our place feeling so elated and positive - even the missus said I looked happy and we were in the middle of a power cut when I got back :lol: :lol: :lol:

UTS

SWS1

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

A bit like the 2nd world war was ' bit of a tussle' :mrgreen:

It has been literally years since I have heard such a frenzied reaction from the Tile Choice (Floors to Go) stand...the 'singing section' has certainly developed an atmosphere, at last!

And the Alamo was a neighbourly difference of opinion :mrgreen:

SWS1

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:02 pm

scott_powell wrote:Just seen the Collins tackle and you are right. It's like Baxendale tackling you compared to the lunge on Sawyers. I mean it wasn't as if the ball was there to be won. It had gone. Me and my friend both looked at each other and said "he's off", as soon as the bloke come off the floor with both feet. No way he could be in control, from behind. Sawyers can be thankful he was able to carry on.

Where did you see the Collins tackle - and is there anywhere we can see the lunge on Sawyers?
:?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 am

SWS1 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Just seen the Collins tackle and you are right. It's like Baxendale tackling you compared to the lunge on Sawyers. I mean it wasn't as if the ball was there to be won. It had gone. Me and my friend both looked at each other and said "he's off", as soon as the bloke come off the floor with both feet. No way he could be in control, from behind. Sawyers can be thankful he was able to carry on.

Where did you see the Collins tackle - and is there anywhere we can see the lunge on Sawyers?
:?

Saddlers Player full highlights. It's a dreadful challenge.

saddler79
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Anybody else nursing any goal celebration injuries today? I've got to confess I turned into some kind of possessed convulsing lunatic when that winner hit the net! I've somehow pretty much managed to remove the skin from both shins and turned my legs into an interesting shade of 'bruise', lol.

Absolute fantastic character by the lads and the sort of game we'll look back fondly on in a good few years. Best moment of the day for me was seeing a near packed side stand jumping about and giving it the 'we're top of the league' to the Gillingham fans. If we snag even just a small percentage of these back it's a great success by the club.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:52 pm

A Gills fan just posted this on Football Forum

Nor likewise, the fact that the penalty foul on Dack was clear red card - their bloke pushed him over, Bradley got up and was held back again by the same bloke and when he got free from the hold, was through one on one with the keeper and was fouled for the third time by the same bloke, this time pushed over and the ref got it right with the penalty -but it was clearly preventing a goal scoring opportunity and not even a yellow card was brandished. The game should have been dead at 2-0 regardless (and that's our fault); it definitely would have been dead at 2-0 v 10 men. Just as many incidents went against us, as has been pointed out. As we lost the game unluckily through a last minute ricochet (which looked to involve a handball, I might add), you'd think it would have been us going on the offensive about the referee and Walsall getting away with things, rather than the the team that had the rub of the green overall critcising us and the ref!

I seriously wonder whether they were watching the same game as the rest of us. :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:58 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:A Gills fan just posted this on Football Forum

Nor likewise, the fact that the penalty foul on Dack was clear red card - their bloke pushed him over, Bradley got up and was held back again by the same bloke and when he got free from the hold, was through one on one with the keeper and was fouled for the third time by the same bloke, this time pushed over and the ref got it right with the penalty -but it was clearly preventing a goal scoring opportunity and not even a yellow card was brandished. The game should have been dead at 2-0 regardless (and that's our fault); it definitely would have been dead at 2-0 v 10 men. Just as many incidents went against us, as has been pointed out. As we lost the game unluckily through a last minute ricochet (which looked to involve a handball, I might add), you'd think it would have been us going on the offensive about the referee and Walsall getting away with things, rather than the the team that had the rub of the green overall critcising us and the ref!

I seriously wonder whether they were watching the same game as the rest of us. :lol:

We don't have a monopoly on one eyed, clueless fans, Jonny :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:43 pm

should have gone to specsavers methinks :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:03 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

The voice of reason.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:06 pm

Handball? Is he having a giraffe?!

SWS1

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

We don't - but I'm probably one of them :mrgreen: . I reckon I'm the most biased fan - can rarely see our team do any wrong and every ref is out to get us :mrgreen: . The opposition are almost always moaning, cheating cry babies compared to our brave, stoical fighters and justice is only ever done when we win :mrgreen: . End of story :mrgreen:
Mind you, we have won the fair-play league a few times - and you can't say fairer than that :mrgreen:

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:58 am

chestersaddler wrote:

I have to declare an interest as I am genuinely one-eyed. I deny cluelessness though :)

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season