Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League One, 24th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Colchester United (A) League One, 24th October 3pm

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:16 pm

In our current form away games can't come quickly enough, and after Tuesday's preservation of our unbeaten away record in League One at Barnsley we have what seems to be something of an identical fixture in darkest Essex. The trouble with form, however, is that it can't be totally relied upon, and this game could be a real banana-skin for us even though Colchester possess the worst defensive record in the League. They've scored the same number of League goals as us (21) but whereas we've only conceded 8 goals they've managed to ship 28, 4 more than anyone else. You might think that this sort of defensive generosity would place them down among the dead men, but not a bit of it - they sit 12th in the table, a mere 5 points off the play-offs. Their season so far has been very much in fits and starts - August was horrible for them, only gaining 3 points out of their first 5 matches, but things really turned round in September with wins over Sheffield United away, and Gillingham at home among others. October has seen them go off the boil a bit though, and manager Tony Humes has stated that they can't bring in another defender - "We've got a budget, we know where we are with that. If you're missing 3 or 4 players through injury you can't do anything." In fact six of the defenders in their squad are carrying injuries, and it has shown in their recent form:

26 Sep Swindon Town (A) League One, Won 1-2
29 Sep Bradford City (H) League One, Won 2-0
3 Oct Bury (H) League One, Lost 0-1
10 Oct Shrewsbury Town (A) League One, Lost 4-2
17 Oct Wigan Athletic (A) League One, Lost 5-0
20 Oct Port Vale (H) League One, Won 2-1

I think it pays not to read too much into this "worst defensive record" - Colchester's home form isn't that bad, they've only lost once in 7 home League One games, and their goal difference is +3 (10/7). It's their away form that lets them down with a goal difference of -10 (11/21). But they did win at Bramall Lane.........

Difficult to predict what Dean Smith will choose for Saturday's line-up - the injuries to Mantom, Taylor, O'Connor and Etheridge may or may not put them back into contention. Having said that, even if they're all unavailable we know that there are good replacements waiting, as at Barnsley. The loan signing of George Evans looks to have been a very good move, and no doubt he will start (even if Man City haven't insisted on it), and MacGillivray did his prospects no harm at all with a well-earned clean sheet at Oakwell.

I can't see us losing this one, and I'm more optimistic than I was pre-Barnsley....so I'll go for a repeat of that scoreline of 0-2, with Bradshaw and Sawyers netting (they're both due!!).

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (A) League One, 24th October 3pm

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I would put my house (if I had one) on us playing 4141 - they have an excellent and very fast strike force. Massey (who might be injured) is one of the better wigner's in the league, Harriot who is a cut above and is also very quick and Sordell who is a good and fast striker. They then get fed by some very good midfielders in Moncur and Garvan who are among the better midfielders in the league. Their problems are that they are shocking defensively. They have a goalkeeper out for the season and two stinkers in Jones and Parish. At centre half they have two slow donkeys in Eastman and Elokobi as well as a poor 3rd choice full back in Olufemi. Their LB Briggs is a lot like Mal Benning in that he can't defend for shite but is very good going forwards.

So because of all this, we play play the more solid 4 with Rico to keep up with their wingers, and Milan and hopefully Morris to exploit them defensively. Going to be a tough game but if we keep them out we will score eventually as they are very defensively frail. Hopefully O'Connor is back even though Preston was excellent yesterday, could do with a wiser head to deal with the pace of Colchester. Also because of their donkeys at centre half, they will thus be very good from corners and O'Connor is excellent at organising us from set pieces.

I'll be there of course, and I will go with 2-1 Walsall, Bradshaw and Evans for us and Harriot for them.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Colchester always seem to do well hovvering up players who've fallen out of favour at higher london clubs...not sure what happened to Sanchez Watt but he was decent for them as is Moncur. Recently they've added Owen Garven and Marvin Sordell who are obviously good players at this level.

Kudos to anyone going...this has to be the one trip in league one I have no interest in going too, takes hours to get to and ground in middle of nowhere.

Think this will be 1-1.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:05 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Colchester always seem to do well hovvering up players who've fallen out of favour at higher london clubs...not sure what happened to Sanchez Watt but he was decent for them as is Moncur. Recently they've added Owen Garven and Marvin Sordell who are obviously good players at this level.

Kudos to anyone going...this has to be the one trip in league one I have no interest in going too, takes hours to get to and ground in middle of nowhere.

Think this will be 1-1.

It's ok if you make a weekend of it in London 8)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Colchester always seem to do well hovvering up players who've fallen out of favour at higher london clubs...not sure what happened to Sanchez Watt but he was decent for them as is Moncur. Recently they've added Owen Garven and Marvin Sordell who are obviously good players at this level.

Think this will be 1-1.

It's ok if you make a weekend of it in London 8)

Easily pleased. You won't know what to do with yourself when Fulham away makes an appearence next season. :wink:

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Think this will be 1-1.

I'm going because they're playing Walsall - the team I support.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:04 pm

O.k, some of us don't own Cyprus holiday homes next door to Uncle Jeff so we have to pick and choose our away games.

Plus it dosen't help my 16-25 railcard has finally run out this week and haven't had the time to get a London area one. :lol:

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 am

Part of me fears the worst for this one for some reason, I predict a 1-0 loss. Feel free to prove me wrong though!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:25 am

Was tempted to head down on the train for this but what a horrible journey.

2-0 Colchester

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:49 am

Anyone travelling over from London?

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:05 pm

saddla wrote:

Think this will be 1-1.

Does that oblige you to go to every game?

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:26 pm

CooperTheSaddler wrote:Part of me fears the worst for this one for some reason, I predict a 1-0 loss. Feel free to prove me wrong though!

:( Offer,

Deary me my fellow Saddler.................

This is not the Walsall of old, they are proving everyone wrong at present, football fans across the country cannot believe where we have come from.

THIS IS NO FLUKE...

:D Offer..

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:22 pm

tinned wrote:
saddla wrote:

Think this will be 1-1.

No but it's the only reason I go to any game. Except when Walsall aren't playing of course. :mrgreen:

I never go for the craic or the boozers or the atmosphere or the great surroundings or a great ground. I go to see my team.

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:11 pm

saddla wrote:
tinned wrote:
saddla wrote:

Think this will be 1-1.

No but it's the only reason I go to any game. Except when Walsall aren't playing of course. :mrgreen:

I never go for the craic or the boozers or the atmosphere or the great surroundings or a great ground. I go to see my team.

I take it you're the old bloke who was moaning about the singing in the upper them? :wink: :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:38 pm

If I went to just watch Walsall I'd have packed up ages ago :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Darth Vader wrote:If I went to just watch Walsall I'd have packed up ages ago :lol:

I can't believe people actually do only go for the football. I always presumed they were joking :mrgreen:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:14 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:O.k, some of us don't own Cyprus holiday homes next door to Uncle Jeff so we have to pick and choose our away games.

Plus it dosen't help my 16-25 railcard has finally run out this week and haven't had the time to get a London area one. :lol:

Yeah, hotels are a bit pricey in the Capital.

Thank God Leyton Orient and Crawley got relegated and that we're not going to Wembley this season. fingers crossed for top 2 so won't have the play off final :D

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:11 pm

tinned wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:If I went to just watch Walsall I'd have packed up ages ago :lol:

I can't believe people actually do only go for the football. I always presumed they were joking :mrgreen:

52 years of pain is not joking :mrgreen:

I even join in the singing occasionally.
But I do get pissed off when someone jumps up in front of me when we are just about to score.

And most of the blokes who people on here were trying to take the piss out of in the pictures from Barnsley actually go to the games for the football 'cause I know a lot of them. And I rate them as real supporters.

In those 52 years I've never missed a kick off or left before the end of any game I've attended.

Sad aren't I. But don't ever question my loyalty to the club I love.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 pm

saddla wrote:
tinned wrote:

But I do get pissed off when someone jumps up in front of me when we are just about to score.

And most of the blokes who people on here were trying to take the piss out of in the pictures from Barnsley actually go to the games for the football 'cause I know a lot of them. And I rate them as real supporters.

In those 52 years I've never missed a kick off or left before the end of any game I've attended.

52 years, impressive (ever considered professional help?) :wink: Makes my 29 years look less impressive by comparison.

I hope I didn't give the impression of questioning your loyalty. I never would. The social aspect of games is just as important to me but I respect those that are solely interested in the games.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:57 am

I passed the 60th anniversary of my first Saddlers match last March. I'm well past the stage of professional help! :mrgreen:

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:49 am

Back to the predictions....you 'owd 'uns!!

Colchester 2-2 Walsall
4,184 (324 SuperSaddlers)

Colchester:
Mark Kinsella
Roy McDonough

Walsall:
Clive Platt
Lee Beavers

Carl Emberson will play a blinder for us but crucially he let in Roy's thunderbolt header from a Jimmy Walker cross vvvv late into injury time!!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Colchester 1 - 3 Walsall

O'Connor (OG)

Bradshaw(2)
Demetriou

UTS!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm tempted to go for my usual 1-1 scoreline but I think we'll edge it 2-1, with Bradshaw and Morris scoring for us, in front of 3,560, including 256 Saddlers.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I said that the Barnsley match was nailed on for the Saddlers, don't see any reason why this won't be either. I wish people would accept we are one of the best teams in the division.
2 or 3 nil to us!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:04 pm

*DOFFER* wrote:
CooperTheSaddler wrote:Part of me fears the worst for this one for some reason, I predict a 1-0 loss. Feel free to prove me wrong though!

:( Offer,

Deary me my fellow Saddler.................

This is not the Walsall of old, they are proving everyone wrong at present, football fans across the country cannot believe where we have come from.

THIS IS NO FLUKE...

:D Offer..
hope for the best plan for the worst :wink:

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:54 pm

:shock:Offer Here,

What I will say, we get beaten by these tomorrow and you could actually forget a top 6 spot, we need to be beating a club that I think will finish no better than 8th, probably mid table.

Seems a bit over the top but we have to beat these type of teams if we are going to continue this serious challenge.

IMO of course..

:) Offer

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Can we go on winning away? I hope so but this is a difficult fixture so I think it will be close. 2-1 or 3-2 to the Saddlers.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:23 pm

saddla wrote:
tinned wrote:

Great post. There will be 150 odd who were at Barnsley in the week who will also be at Colcheser tomorrow. That is superb dedication given the distances involved.

Love your avatar too.

Gripper
Glitterati

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:52 pm

saddla wrote:
tinned wrote:

Great post, hat is well and truely off. Same goes to the great fans in the photos who have seen the lot!!!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:43 am

*DOFFER* wrote::shock:Offer Here,

What I will say, we get beaten by these tomorrow and you could actually forget a top 6 spot, we need to be beating a club that I think will finish no better than 8th, probably mid table.

Seems a bit over the top but we have to beat these type of teams if we are going to continue this serious challenge.

IMO of course..

:) Offer

Yes, :roll:offer, it is completely over the top. It is the number of points we get over 46 games that matter, not who we get them against.

Stop getting carried away - you are sounding like a Dingle :wink:

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season