Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) League One, Tuesday Oct 20th 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Barnsley (A) League One, Tuesday Oct 20th 7.45pm

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 pm

scott_powell wrote:Another assist from Sawyers ... According to Otis the player who doesn't assist enough .. Well that's 3 in 3 games.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's something like 4 goals and 7 asssists from Sawyers already this season.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Milan loves a big game, which it was for him v ex club.

If only he could reproduce it every week, he would be another level.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Sadders wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Another assist from Sawyers ... According to Otis the player who doesn't assist enough .. Well that's 3 in 3 games.

It's something like 4 goals and 7 asssists from Sawyers already this season.

For me the Sawyers debate is just silly now.

Every time you listen to an interview with an opposition manager or you hear the views of other fans, they all pick out the 'Walsall number 10'. Every time you listen an opposing radio commentary they are heaping praise on Sawyers. Anybody that still tries to imply that he isn't very good is now simply flogging a dead horse to save face.

Deano getting the best out of another young starlet from the Premier League almost immediately. Hiwula was anonymous in a Wigan shirt against us and has now disappeared....where's some of the others - Brandy etc? Deano has got something other coaches simply cannot get out of players.

Just seems all the rubbish written after Saturday was again a storm in a tea cup. You would think some would learn their lesson!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 pm

An excellent performance & an enjoyable evening. Thought the first half was a more cagey affair but the game really opened up in the second half
If Evans can be as involved as that in future games then we will definitely be wanting to extend his loan. He looked assured and took his goal well. Thought everyone played well or very well, but would pick out Milan, Rico & Sawyers especially. I obviously see far more away than home games & we do seem really well set up by Smith to exploit counter-attack. If only we can sort out the home form then who knows what we can achieve.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Shut up Scott you sad act I bet you trawled the stats preying For Sawyers to have made some kind of impact, Well done Sawyers on his assist :roll:,
I'm glad Milan scored that will give him confidence I was only saying on Saturday he needed a goal and a few more will come and what a great start for the new lad on loan from Man City Smith is definitely keeping the player's on their toes this season and it seems to be working so he rightly should take a lot of credit.
Scott bore off and go and haunt someone else :mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:45 pm

You can all see now that my spectacles have no hint of rose in them. The signing of Evans was decisive but what a win for our team. I am beginning to think I should start going to away matches on the other hand I see us at home and our results are not so good! What a quandry!!
I also agree this seemingly endless debate about Sawyers is tiresome. He is a good player..lets hope he will sign a contract extension.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Is Sawyers still under 23?

Even if he leaves end of season you'll get something off the tribunial like Grigg, being international will help bump that up a bit.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Rico was mustard tonight (my MOTM) but I thought Downing and Preston were excellent too. The lad they brought on at half time on the left wing was a real handful and actually gave Jase some problems but every time he got a cross in we either headed it away or got a last ditch block in. New lad did well too.

Sawyers' ball for Milan's goal was sexually arousing.

Excellent fish and chips beforehand and a decent unbeaten start for the lucky hat.

Some spectacular bellends ringing Radio Sheffield afterwards too - all of them Blades fans: "there are no good teams in League One this season - if there were they'd be five points clear." You what? I would love it if we finished above them. Booing their own team tonight because they were only 1-0 up against Fleetwood. Mental.

Terradakphil

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Brilliant win tonight. Having gone last year and tonight what a different performance.
Great team performance Rico was awesome.
Also nobody on this forum so far has praised what an excellent goalkeeping job was done tonight, he made 2 or 3 massive saves tof keep us in the game.
UTS

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:19 pm

2 posts from the Barnsley forum

'Walsall are a poor team - like every team in this league
We were just worse'

'I agree they were a good side passing, moving, through balls hit at pace into space not floated to a static front man. Best side I`ve seen this season.

No 10 ran the game without breaking sweat.'

Who's this number 10 they speak about? :? :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Most enjoyable outing and a well deserved victory against the divisions biggest hoof it team.

Downing has steadily improved over the last couple of games, probably as a result of O'Connors absence and Preston dealt very well with most of their ariel attacks although we looked vulnerable at free kicks and corners. What I do find remarkable is the confidence the players have in each other, in particular letting young inexperienced players like Preston having plenty of procession under pressure and letting him play the ball out of defence.

Great pass to Lalkovic for his goal from Sawyers who impressed throughout the game and we might have had a couple more goals at the end as we finished confidently. It's a pity that we threw the game away on Saturday due to Smiths meddling with the formation but tonight he got it right.

:D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Solid win, all the youngsters did very well. Evans was very good and took his goal well, didn't expect him to score from there considering the amount of bodies on the line when he turned. Clever placement. Confidence booster and the response we needed. Felt first half was a very nervy and close affair, both teams very nervous to make mistakes and try anything risky. Tense yet a touch boring.

Different half we came out with our heads up ready to attack and come out of our shell, Barnsley didn't, and I think that was the difference. Bradshaw dominated both their centre halves all game, don't think Bradshaw will win that amount of long or channell balls all season. Craig MacGillivray helped with a unbelievable point black save straight from the Neil Cutler school of goalkeeping, a save we saw O'Donnell make many times. This came from Barnsley's only ever threatening part which was from corners.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 pm

otiswfc wrote:

Shut up Scott you sad act I bet you trawled the stats preying For Sawyers to have made some kind of impact, Well done Sawyers on his assist :roll:,
I'm glad Milan scored that will give him confidence I was only saying on Saturday he needed a goal and a few more will come and what a great start for the new lad on loan from Man City Smith is definitely keeping the player's on their toes this season and it seems to be working so he rightly should take a lot of credit.
Scott bore off and go and haunt someone else :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kmitchell96

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:11 am

bangsection wrote:Rico was mustard tonight (my MOTM) but I thought Downing and Preston were excellent too. The lad they brought on at half time on the left wing was a real handful and actually gave Jase some problems but every time he got a cross in we either headed it away or got a last ditch block in. New lad did well too.

Sawyers' ball for Milan's goal was sexually arousing.

Excellent fish and chips beforehand and a decent unbeaten start for the lucky hat.

Some spectacular bellends ringing Radio Sheffield afterwards too - all of them Blades fans: "there are no good teams in League One this season - if there were they'd be five points clear." You what? I would love it if we finished above them. Booing their own team tonight because they were only 1-0 up against Fleetwood. Mental.

How United fans can argue it is a weak league I do not know. You would think that with them being one of the favourites for automatic they would try argue it is a strong league when they only hover around play off places for most of the season. It is a stronger league than the last couple of years; not having a run away leader shows there is more competition in the league and there isn't 1 or 2 teams who are guaranteed to beat everyone

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:53 am

Sadders wrote:Ace, love it when the team proves me and my pessimistic self wrong.

One big note tonight - credit to Dean Smith. He is currently the quickest learning member of our playing staff.

Last season he would have stuck by Flanagan tonight.. which would have been a mistake, he isn't ready yet, certainly not to be played as part of a 2 - he quickly gets a young loan signing in from Man City, who now trust us to take the kids they have because of the entire Hiwula deal and the bond we have built with them and shocker, the lad comes in, contributes to a win with a goal from midfield and we take 3, exceptional points, keep another cleansheet and look comfy all with 4 key 100% members of the starting XI missing.

Result of the season easily so far - regardless of form, look at the age of our team tonight. A cleansheet with the back up goalkeeper in net, an 18 year old left back and a second senior start for a youth centre back.

If I heard Jeff correct, that's our first win at Oakwell since 1971!

8 goals conceded, comfortably the best in the entire FOOTBALL LEAGUE. 3 defeats in 22 games. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Well done to Deano and the players - glad Milan got a goal on his return!

UTS.
:D

watched us win there in 1983, one of our finest performances, i think they were a division above us at the time!

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:38 am

Second half, we were absolutely brilliant. One of the most complete performances I've seen away from home in a while, and when you see so many young players in the team, it's even more impressive!

MacGillivray: 2 fantastic saves in the second half to keep Barsnley out and generally solid. 8

Demetriou: Great defensively and a threat going forward: 7
Preston: Commanding performance, completely dominated Michale Smith: 8
Downing: Calm on the ball and mopped up everything that came into the box: 7.5
Henry: What an asset he is when they game starts to get stretched! Some brilliant surging runs from LB and you could see they were terrified of his pace. 8

Evans: Took his goal really well and was neat and tidy with the ball: 8
Chambers: Protected the defence well, and started a few counter attacks: 7

Fords: Slightly out of the game, but still showed some decent touches. 6.5
Sawyers: Fantastic once again, superb assist and played an even better pass to Demetriou a few minutes before which put him through. The guy just oozes class. 9 MOTM
Lalkovic: Huffed and puffed first half, but as they tired he got more space and exploited it. Took his goal really well. 8

Bradshaw: Even when he doesn't score, his link up and hold up play are absolutely first class, and he just doesn't stop running! Essential to how we play, because it all starts with the effort super Tom puts in up top!

Subs: Flanagan: Looked composed and passed it well
Cook: Couple of decent runs into their box.
Morris: Good feet, and always dangerous on the counter!

Wasn't feeling particularly confident about this, but fair play to the lads on another fantastic away win!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:35 am

Considering there were 8000 plus Barnsley fans inside Oakwell, that was probably the quietest home crowd I've ever experienced.

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:15 am

hullsaddler wrote:Considering there were 8000 plus Barnsley fans inside Oakwell, that was probably the quietest home crowd I've ever experienced.

They were extremely quiet and even made less noise than Scunthorpe last month, I didn't hear them clap anything until the second half.
also probably the quietest I've heard us for a while but mainly due to being spread out over a large stand.
Last edited by Derbyshire Saddler on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:18 am

Fantastic win, if only we could replicate this away form at home we would be cruising, but I am definitely not complaining at our current position! Delighted to see Evans hit the ground running, and happy for MacGillivray to get another clean sheet. Lets hope this brilliant start to the season continues throughout UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:52 am

Properly good result.

I'm really starting to believe we can be promoted this season - automatically. Dean needs to be more bold at home against lowly sides though.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:11 am

philthesaddler wrote:Properly good result.

I'm really starting to believe we can be promoted this season - automatically. Dean needs to be more bold at home against lowly sides though.

If we're in the top two at Christmas then I'll start to believing that we can definitely secure a play off spot. I'll think about automatic if we're still up there come April/May.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:28 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Is Sawyers still under 23?

Even if he leaves end of season you'll get something off the tribunial like Grigg, being international will help bump that up a bit.

He turns 24 before Christmas.

He'll be able to leave for nowt in July.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 am

Barren Flak wrote:

If that's the case Mr Bonser will be well aware and will have a plan.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 am

He's writing a book called Chesney's Sublime Ball Skills

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:37 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:If that's the case Mr Bonser will be well aware and will have a plan.

Are his plans better than Baldrick's? :mrgreen:

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:28 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Barren Flak wrote:

If that's the case Mr Bonser will be well aware and will have a plan.

Plan A - Get Sawyers to sign new contract
Plan B - Sell Sawyers in January

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:42 pm

The finish by Evans was top drawer.

The ball for the Lalkovic goal was class, absolutely class. Nearly wasted mind, but class all the same!

Kneecap
UTS Regular

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:21 pm

But what a flat-footed bunch of defenders - for both goals.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:37 pm

It might have been said already, but we have conceded the same number of goals in away games this season as we did in the last 76 minutes of last season.

Or for the glass half empties... ' we've conceded 16 goals in the last 9 away games'

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season