Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) League One, Tuesday Oct 20th 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Barnsley (A) League One, Tuesday Oct 20th 7.45pm

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:59 pm

So....there we were, top of the pile, and along come Dean Saunders' Chesterfield and catch us on an off-day. It happens, but we're still very handily placed at 2nd in the table for our trip to Oakwell to face a Barnsley that currently sit 17th on 14 points (which is where Chesterfield were before they played us!). Barnsley are managed by Lee Johnson (son of Gary - remember him?) who was appointed in February this year with a contract until 2018. Four players joined Barnsley at the beginning of last month but have yet to make a real impact, being largely used as substitutes. Their current form:

19 Sep Blackpool (A) League One, Drew 1-1
26 Sep Gillingham (H) League One, Won 2-0
3 Oct Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, Lost 2-1
10 Oct Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Lost 1-2
13 Oct Bradford City (A) F.L.Trophy, Won 1-2
17 Oct Southend United (A) League One, Lost 2-1

The word "unpredictability" shines out from those recent results - knowing the current form of other teams, how can anyone beat Gillingham and lose at home to Crewe Alexandra?

Motivation for the Saddlers for this game comes in two parts - (a) To get the taste of defeat out of our mouths after the Chesterfield no-show, and (b) to make some amends for our most recent performance at Barnsley (March 2015) where we lost 3-0 and were extremely lucky to score nil (2 shots the whole game, neither of which was on target, tells its own story).

Team selection now provides something of a real headache for Dean Smith. From having a surplus of riches one week, he now has to scratch around what's available - Sam Mantom will be out "for some weeks", James O'Connor's fitness is still in question, new signing Isaiah Osborn/Osbourn/Osbourne is unavailable having been injured in training, and Neil Etheridge had stitches in his wound from the Chesterfield game. Fortunately we do have a perfectly adequate goalkeeping replacement, but the central defence and midfield does pose problems. Replacements we do have, but are they all of sufficient standard for the job (in numbers, rather than individually)?

I would be quite happy with a point from this one - at least this keeps our unbeaten League away record intact....say 1-1, with Cook on the scoresheet (he did, after all, get 2 for us at home to Barnsley last season :wink: )

Gripper
Glitterati

Re: Barnsley (A) League One, Tuesday Oct 20th 7.45pm

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:02 pm

Geniunely, Im still angry about that day in March, the most spineless Walsall performance I have ever seen. A win would be nice, as always! I reckon we'll lose again though, let's hope not.

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:35 am

I'm going to go for the Saddlers getting back to putting points on the board, but only 1, a hard earned 1-1 with Milan getting ours against his former club.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:17 am

We surrendered there last year. A real blip during a period we were generally playing really well, especially away.

Not a nice place to go, reckon we may benefit from it being a night game and will be determined to put last season's performance at Oakwell to bed.

Sneaky away win. Demetriou to open his account.

Kinsella in for injured Mantom, please. Kieron Morris to start too, pretty please.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:27 am

Yeah we were awful there last year, that and Chesterfield away stand out as the two worst performances of last season. Hopefully we're better equipped going forward and at the back to get at least a point.

I think Smith will go with the team we saw at Wigan, with changes possible for the injuries picked up on Saturday.

Etheridge

Demetriou
Preston (Hopefully O'Connor will be back)
Downing
Henry (Taylor picked up a knock on Saturday)

Chambers
Flanagan

Lalkovic
Sawyers
Morris

Bradshaw

Even though they're not in best of form, I would take a point. 1-1 with Flanagan to score his first for the club.

Around 200 Saddlers there I would imagine.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:51 am

Tom_1992 wrote:Yeah we were awful there last year, that and Chesterfield away stand out as the two worst performances of last season. Hopefully we're better equipped going forward and at the back to get at least a point.

I think Smith will go with the team we saw at Wigan, with changes possible for the injuries picked up on Saturday.

Etheridge

Demetriou
Preston (Hopefully O'Connor will be back)
Downing
Henry (Taylor picked up a knock on Saturday)

Chambers
Flanagan

Lalkovic
Sawyers
Morris

Bradshaw

Even though they're not in best of form, I would take a point. 1-1 with Flanagan to score his first for the club.

Around 200 Saddlers there I would imagine.

If any of those who were there last year, I believe they ought to register with a clinic to try to clean their act up, masochism can destroy lives ya know! :mrgreen:

Quite honestly I fear the worst, another mid table team, currently swinging from very poor to sublime.
I too seem to remember we were on a 'reasonable' streak as we visited Oakwell last season. Then one of the worst displays in history brought us down to earth.
Genuinely hope that we do not repeat such an 'off day'. I'll go for 1-1, and hope Milan gets our goal.
Lets hope we don't 'do a Tranmere' this season. :(

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Feel optimistic about this ... 2-0 win ( Sawyers & Demetriou).
Got to be better than last season anyway.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:19 pm

No prediction, but I think this is the most important match of the season so far.
Psychologically, it will tell us a LOT about the team.
I hope that I am proved wrong after Saturday.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Barnsley 1 - 15 Walsall

Kinsella with all 15 goals from the bench and still misses out against Colchester.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:59 pm

scott_powell wrote:Barnsley 1 - 15 Walsall

Kinsella with all 15 goals from the bench and still misses out against Colchester.

He will have to do a lot better than that to oust Chesney.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:05 pm

I'd be worried about playing Flanagan next to Chambers in a two. Big game on a big pitch in a big stadium with probably a lot of defensive responsibilities and I am not sure whether his form and overall play style would suit this type of game, especially in the Mantom role. If he does play I hope he proves me wrong though.

I'll be there of course.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:57 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:I'd be worried about playing Flanagan next to Chambers in a two. Big game on a big pitch in a big stadium with probably a lot of defensive responsibilities and I am not sure whether his form and overall play style would suit this type of game, especially in the Mantom role. If he does play I hope he proves me wrong though.

I agree.

Not wanting to be overly critical given our great start to the season, but this is where we start to find our squad is imbalanced to say the least. By playing with wing-backs, we basically make Forde, Morris, Lalkovic and Cook to a certain extent, unselectable. For the odd game that's fine, but as soon as we decide that 5-3-2/3-5-2 is our preferred system away from home, it's central midfielders we need rather than stockpiled wingers.

I do appreciate Smith's a bit unlucky with two of his midefielders our injured, but it feels like the wide positions are the only ones we have adequate cover for.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:35 pm

A very important game and our weakest team(possibly) so predictions very difficult. I am not confident of victory so a low scoring draw would suffice.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Ill take a draw here, mind you they lost at home to Crewe last home game so they cant be that good.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 pm

latviancheese wrote:Ill take a draw here, mind you they lost at home to Crewe last home game so they cant be that good.

Guaranteed they will be when we turn up! :(

Terradakphil

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Well I was there last year and am going tomorrow so there's definitely something wrong with me, that or as a Northern based saddler I was always going to attend.

1-2 bradders & lalko

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:33 pm

2-2 late Barnsley equaliser.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 am

If O'Connor is back from injury I can see us grabbing a point , without him I fear the worst!

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:57 am

I've just read somewhere that Conor Hourihane is out.
That will certainly do us a favour.

I think if we get the 3 tonight, then Chesterfield wont seem too bad and the heads wont drop.
If we go there with the same attitude as on Saturday we could be in trouble and could do without that.

2-0 with Bradshaw and Lalkovic to get the goals.
UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:16 am

I didn't see anything wrong with our attitude on Saturday..early defensive issues were the problem however i think the quick signing of George Evans will give a boost to the team and I think this game is now winnable.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 am

First appearance of the season tonight for the lucky hat.

Pivotal.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 am

Barren Flak wrote:Not a nice place to go, reckon we may benefit from it being a night game and will be determined to put last season's performance at Oakwell to bed.

Can`t agree with that. :wink:

Think a 1-1 draw for this one.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:56 am

Injuries galore, low confidence after Saturday, a terrible record away at Barnsley in recent times - and horrific memories of the worst Walsall performance ever seen at Oakwell last season. The long winless run coudl have started and with a young side on display tonight missing some core first team players I can see it getting quite ugly.

Well done to anyone that makes it.

(Would hugely take a point though :D)

2/3-0 Barnsley.
141 Saddlers.
Bradshaw to go off injured tonight...(never rains it pours?)

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 am

Sadders wrote:Injuries galore, low confidence after Saturday, a terrible record away at Barnsley in recent times - and horrific memories of the worst Walsall performance ever seen at Oakwell last season. The long winless run coudl have started and with a young side on display tonight missing some core first team players I can see it getting quite ugly.

2/3-0 Barnsley.
141 Saddlers.

Blimey, on the whole I think I prefer Walsallone's oversized rose-tinted specs perspective. :shock:
A gritty 1-0 to the Super Saddlers - Chambers 30 yard screamer in the 95th minute, wickedly deflected off Cook's arse. Barnsley have 70% possession, hitting the woodwork 5 times. Barnsley fans forum to receive record number of posts confirming a bad day at the office.
Last edited by moaning saddler on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 am

1-1.

Downing with both :oops:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:57 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Injuries galore, low confidence after Saturday, a terrible record away at Barnsley in recent times - and horrific memories of the worst Walsall performance ever seen at Oakwell last season. The long winless run coudl have started and with a young side on display tonight missing some core first team players I can see it getting quite ugly.

2/3-0 Barnsley.
141 Saddlers.

Blimey, on the whole I think I prefer Walsallone's oversized rose-tinted specs perspective. :shock:
A gritty 1-0 to the Super Saddlers - Chambers 30 yard screamer in the 95th minute, wickedly deflected off Cook's arse. Barnsley have 70% possession, hitting the woodwork 5 times. Barnsley fans forum to receive record number of posts confirming a bad day at the office.

Chambers 30 yard screamer in the 95th minute, wickedly deflected off Cook's arse.

Cook will claim it and become a permanant fixture in Deans plans.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Cook will claim it and become a permanant fixture in Deans plans.

It appears he already is!

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Neil Etheridge is out according to his twitter acount

neil38etheridge Want to wish the team all the best for tonight, shame I can't be playing due to the incident at the weekend... I'm recovering and will be back on the field as soon as possible. #goodluck #3points #win #football #NE1

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:10 pm

saddla wrote:Neil Etheridge is out according to his twitter acount

neil38etheridge Want to wish the team all the best for tonight, shame I can't be playing due to the incident at the weekend... I'm recovering and will be back on the field as soon as possible. #goodluck #3points #win #football #NE1

More than happy for MacGillivray to step in, don't see much between him and Etheridge myself, both good keepers.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Nice post "Moaning" but I can assure you my glasses are not large or tinted in anyway! My observation was based on our form to date and although we were below our best on Saturday I am reasonably confident with the new lad on board. I think too many of our fans have an "inferiority complex" where as the way we play suggests we should have a "superiority complex" :D :D :D :D :D :D

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season