Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) League One, 17th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Chesterfield (H) League One, 17th Oct 3pm

Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:09 am

In our current position (TOP of the League in case you hadn't noticed) games can't come fast enough and Saturday sees the meeting of the Deans, one of whom is the 4th longest serving manager in League football and whose side sits top of League One, and the other is Dean Saunders. To be fair, Chesterfield had a pretty good start to the season picking up 10 points in August, but after that it went rather pear-shaped with only 1 point gained in September and 3 so far this month. They currently sit 16th in the table on 14 points, and although their 16 goals scored is only 2 short of ours they've shipped 19 which is more than 3 times our 6...Form:

19 Sep Coventry City (A) League One, Lost 1-0
26 Sep Burton Albion (H) League One, Lost 1-2
29 Sep Blackpool (A) League One, Lost 2-0
3 Oct Crewe Alexandra (A) League One, Won 1-2
6 Oct Rochdale (A) F.L.Trophy, Lost 2-1
10 Oct Gillingham (H) League One, Lost 1-3

There's more than a hint of desperation in most of the contributions to the main Chesterfield forum (Bob's Board) concerning the team's performance, or lack of, and targeting Dean Saunders in particular. He doesn't seem to help his own cause (a) in his post-match comments such as "It's not a crisis, it's early season. If you win 3 games you're in the top 6" (this after losing 2-0 at the execrable Blackpool) and (b) his apparent lack of concentration on the job in hand (he is an active member of an after-dinner speaker circuit, and it's been reported that he undertakes engagements miles away from his players on a Friday night before a match on Saturday). There is also flak aimed at some of his signings - Sylvain Ebanks-Blake the most prominent, who appears to be a faint shadow of the player for whom the Dingles paid £1,500,000 to sign 7 years ago. The current debate is how big the crater will be on the pitch when SE-B falls on his backside.....having said that, he has scored 2 goals and he's just behind Chesterfield's trio of leading scorers Morsy, Gardner and O'Shea, with 3 each.

So, a game that we should win at a canter - well, we all thought the same about Oldham Athletic and Crewe Alexandra. However, with our internationals back on call and with the motivation that comes from maintaining our League One position (did I mention that we're top of the table?) I think a 3-0 result isn't out of reach. Bradshaw, Sawyers and Mantom to score.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Chesterfield (H) League One, 17th Oct 3pm

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm

All you need to know about this is Chesterfield is really really weird. They have a white balloon that follows you around if you try to leave.

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:06 pm

derbysaddler wrote:All you need to know about this is Chesterfield is really really weird. They have a white balloon that follows you around if you try to leave.

I've heard some of the natives say that its a difficult place to get away from and if you do get out then you'll end up back here one day. I don't mind though as I like it and I'm allowed out for Walsall games 8)

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Who's their No 6?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Yeah I thought their form was bad but didn't realise it was that bad. Then I looked who their manager was...

Hero's reception for Saunders on Saturday I presume?

Regarding the score I will go for hard fought 2-1, Henry and Bradshaw.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Who's their No 6?

Ian Evatt, 6ft 3in defender and club captain. Released from Blackpool in 2013 after 6 years there, previously with QPR, Derby County and Chesterfield (again). Born Coventry November 1981, so nearly 34 years old. I reckon Rico might be able to show him a clean pair of heels....... :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:47 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Yeah I thought their form was bad but didn't realise it was that bad. Then I looked who their manager was...

My apologies for not expanding on Dean Saunders' record of managing League clubs - I did mean to.....suffice it to say that he has achieved what is probably a unique hat-trick - 3 Football League clubs managed, 3 relegated (Doncaster Rovers, Dinglehampton Wanserers, and Crawley). Yet he still gets job offers :?

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:3 Football League clubs managed, 3 relegated (Doncaster Rovers, Dinglehampton Wanserers, and Crawley). Yet he still gets job offers :?

Absolutely unreal isn't it.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Chesterfield are the sort of club we tend to struggle against - with the exception of the Arthur Cox team of the late 70's/early 80's they've never been much of a footballing side.

They have a decent away record, though, which means I'll settle for any sort of win. So, it'll be 2-1 [Sawyers, Bradshaw] to us, in front of 5,026, including 619 Spireites.

Edit - Dean Saunders :lol:
Last edited by BathSaddler on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:13 pm

He's not a number, he's a free man!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:15 pm

Derbyshire Saddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:All you need to know about this is Chesterfield is really really weird. They have a white balloon that follows you around if you try to leave.

I've heard some of the natives say that its a difficult place to get away from and if you do get out then you'll end up back here one day. I don't mind though as I like it and I'm allowed out for Walsall games 8)

Oh no, they have you in their spell.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Yeah I thought their form was bad but didn't realise it was that bad. Then I looked who their manager was...

My apologies for not expanding on Dean Saunders' record of managing League clubs - I did mean to.....suffice it to say that he has achieved what is probably a unique hat-trick - 3 Football League clubs managed, 3 relegated (Doncaster Rovers, Dinglehampton Wanserers, and Crawley). Yet he still gets job offers :?

Donny he took over mid season when I think they were adrift in the championship relegation zone. He did have them top of league 1 following season.

Crawley though were abysmal when they came to Bescot near end of last season and as for his short spell at Wolves.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They still have a thread dedicated to him:

http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread ... Dean-Watch

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:28 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Donny he took over mid season when I think they were adrift in the championship relegation zone. He did have them top of league 1 following season.

Crawley though were abysmal when they came to Bescot near end of last season and as for his short spell at Wolves.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They still have a thread dedicated to him:

http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread ... Dean-Watch

That thread is hilarious! Fair play to the Dingles for a rare display of humour at their own expense....

He evidently has the managerial skills of Dogface mixed with the personality of a dead rat. I don't think he would even have the charm to motivate the tea lady at half time.

Anyway I don't wish to tempt fate too much for Saturday.....

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:59 am

We need to do what we should have done against Crewe at home - put them to the sword.
2- 0 to the Saddlers.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:30 am

I've got a feeling we could give someone a right dicking soon... 4-1 to us.

Bradshaw brace, Sawyers and Lalko.

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:50 am

I am going to go for a surprising bore draw, another team that turns up with the intention of parking the bus, 0-0.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Ian Evatt, 6ft 3in defender and club captain. Released from Blackpool in 2013 after 6 years there, previously with QPR, Derby County and Chesterfield (again). Born Coventry November 1981, so nearly 34 years old. I reckon Rico might be able to show him a clean pair of heels....... :mrgreen:

You seem unusually well-informed.

Better pack for an extended stay in Portmeirion...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Gripper wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:3 Football League clubs managed, 3 relegated (Doncaster Rovers, Dinglehampton Wanserers, and Crawley). Yet he still gets job offers :?

Absolutely unreal isn't it.

That's how thick football chairmen are, even when they have a budget. And people criticise Bonser. He's appointed dross like Mullen and Hutchings, when we've had no budget to get anything better. The likes of Doncaster and Chesterfield appoint Saunders when they have a good budget, and the likes of Westley, Lee Clark etc still get jobs, even though they're about as inspiring as a walnut. Imagine them in dressing rooms with players. Dullards. Good luck to them.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Looking forward to Saturdays again, who'd have thought it :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 pm

Cully wrote:Looking forward to Saturdays again, who'd have thought it :wink:

Last night I dreamt that I was talking to you at the match :shock:

You looked older than I imagined :mrgreen:

I'll be there on Saturday :D

3-0 Sawyers, Bradshaw, Mantom

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:24 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Looking forward to Saturdays again, who'd have thought it :wink:

Last night I dreamt that I was talking to you at the match :shock:

You looked older than I imagined :mrgreen:

I'll be there on Saturday :D

3-0 Sawyers, Bradshaw, Mantom

Have you ever seen a dream walking?

I am older than you imagine.

Excellent :D I'll look out for a slightly exiled Walsallonian with a tinge of Welsh [ps I am assuming you are originally from Walsall not a Rugeley based glory hunter like myself] For your information I will be accompanied by 2 or 3 sons, 1 brother and a couple of hanger-ons. Feel free to approach me if pointed out by other UTSers, I will be wearing an improvised ensemble of clothing combined with a happy and carefree disposition.

...............? :arrow: PERIOD

5066 plus 1

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Cully wrote:I will be wearing an improvised ensemble of clothing combined with a happy and carefree disposition

No problem. You should easy to spot. Cravat?

I will be mainly wearing black, probably an Emperor hooded top. I will be accompanied by my delightful spouse.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 pm

I may well travel up in my newly acquired limousine and gate-crash your party.......see you outside the ticket office Neil? :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I may well travel up in my newly acquired limousine and gate-crash your party.......see you outside the ticket office Neil? :mrgreen:

I will text you Welsh.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:40 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:I will be wearing an improvised ensemble of clothing combined with a happy and carefree disposition

I will be mainly wearing black, probably an Emperor hooded top. I will be accompanied by my delightful spouse.

Does it have a picture of a penguin on the front or the back? Out of casual and polite interest, will your spouse be wearing anything?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Does it have a picture of a penguin on the front or the back? Out of casual and polite interest, will your spouse be wearing anything?

She will be a bit cold if she ain't......... :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

:lol: :lol:

She will be wearing plenty now it's October. Easy to spot, she'll be the one looking like she wished she was somewhere else.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Aren't we all having a nice chat, lovely :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Cully wrote:Aren't we all having a nice chat, lovely :)

Indeed. Amazing what a bit of success does. We have Mr. Smith to thank for that, don't you agree? :wink:

SWS1

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 pm

Tin hats on, boys!
:mrgreen:

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season