Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) League One, 17th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
UTS Legend

Re: Chesterfield (H) League One, 17th Oct 3pm

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:55 pm

HT
Goal attempts
Walsall 10-1
Corners
Walsall 5-0
Score
Walsall 0-1

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:56 pm

sallian wrote:again our lack of goals...

chesterfield also dominating possession

You can't be at the game to make a statement like that.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Thought today would be the ultimate banana skin, us top of the League, Chesterfield having a crap spell......all the fixed odds coupons down the swanny?
It does look like we are in complete control according to the stats but 10 shots, 2 on target? Sort of tells the old, old story dow it? lets hope we can put some shots on target in the second half to avoid another humiliating home defeat.
Nobody believed me when I said Wigan & the Blades will seal the two automatic promotion spots, but they are both creeping stealthily up the league. it'll just be a matter of time........ :?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:12 pm

oh dear

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:13 pm

cant win them all ey!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm

*Braces for ultimate board over reaction.*

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:17 pm

At least we are still second! as long as bury dont win

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Mantom stretchered off

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:*Braces for ultimate board over reaction.*

I've kept a photocopy of the League table, the week when we were top'o' the League.
Will show it to kids in ten/twenty years time, they'll laugh of course, but WE all know it was a true event. :mrgreen:

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

I've kept a photocopy of the League table, the week when we were top'o' the League.
Will show it to kids in ten/twenty years time, they'll laugh of course, but WE all know it was a true event. :mrgreen:

And they will look at the stats and say .............." why the hell did you keep such a crap manager for so long ?"
He and we are being found out again big time :(

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

It's happened TWICE this season.

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:34 pm

anyone think we can pull this back?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:36 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

And they will look at the stats and say .............." why the hell did you keep such a crap manager for so long ?"

Why don't you sod off back into the wood work? Not a single post when we win a game!!

It's clear absolutely nobody values your opinion, in fact in a way I respect your perseverance!

I'll try not to listen to your knuckles dragging on the way out....

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Guest wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

It's happened TWICE this season.

Last time we went top (29 Aug) we proceeded to lose our next two games. You have been warned.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:58 pm

As usual, Gillingham score in the 90th minute.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:00 pm

So do we, but who cares?

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:04 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Why don't you sod off back into the wood work? Not a single post when we win a game!!

It's clear absolutely nobody values your opinion, in fact in a way I respect your perseverance!

I have and always will be in the Smithout camp unlike others on here who change their allegiance from game to game.
It matters not whether anyone values my opinion, i have one and it is mine and mine alone. I am not looking for a bandwagon to jump on.
Insult me as you will but you are the one that throws his toys out of the pram when someone disagrees with you, you have proven that time after time :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Why on God's earth do they insist on passing the ball 5 yards around the box when there's minutes left and we are losing?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Guest wrote:

Wigan up 4-0

if we cant score 2,3 and 4 in a game we wont make it

Obviously, Sallian, your advice has fallen on deaf ears.

One of the shortest held no.1 position in league history

A glorious chance to extend the gap squandered, a very pathetic surrender of the top spot....

My verdict for this season is...play offs at most....as we can't score

i said 0-1 or 1-2 so bad like I thought

And as for all those half-brained, degenerate wastes of space who think the best strategy is 1-0....well guess what....we conceded 2 and were screwed by your brain dead ideas

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

I have and always will be in the Smithout camp unlike others on here who change their allegiance from game to game.
It matters not whether anyone values my opinion, i have one and it is mine and mine alone. I am not looking for a bandwagon to jump on.
Insult me as you will but you are the one that throws his toys out of the pram when someone disagrees with you, you have proven that time after time :lol:

Anyone with the notion of 'Smith Out' when we've been consistently the best team in the league so far this season really needs their head looking at! :roll:

It's no surprise to find Pinnacle with this opinion. :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:16 pm

sallian wrote:
Guest wrote:

Wigan up 4-0

A glorious chance to extend the gap squandered, a very pathetic surrender of the top spot....

And as for all those half-brained, degenerate wastes of space who think the best strategy is 1-0....well guess what....we conceded 2 and were screwed by your brain dead ideas

Top, we lose a game and the world falls apart. How do you think we got top - magic?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:19 pm

even a draw would have been a pee poor result....but to lose just shows that we are not getting promoted

struggling against crewe and chesterfield....means we are gonna slip right down

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:23 pm

FAO Sound out

When people start to take you or your views seriously i might sit up and take notice, it could be a long wait :oops:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:24 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
Guest wrote:

Wigan up 4-0

Top, we lose a game and the world falls apart. How do you think we got top - magic?

No its not just one game.....Crewe, Peterboro, Bury, CHesterfield, Morecambe....it was predictable due to our lack of goals

We lack the drive and consistency of a leader

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:25 pm

No doubt Dean will curse our luck again given the woodwork smacking and their 'keeper making some saves.

But I'm afraid today was a day when some summer chickens came home to roost. The inbalance in the squad is really evident. We have no depth through the spine. O'Connor, Mantom, Chambers and the ever more islolated Bradshaw have no cover. We were missing one of them today and that was exposed within five minutes and effectively cost us the points as we rarely turn games around. On Tuesday there is every chance we'll have two of them missing. You look at the bench and it is a clone-fest with hardly any variety

Feel so sorry for Kinsella. Match winner and blinding performance last week then the bloke in his position gets hooked and the "Cook must be first on" card is played to its usual zero effect.

Still second in the league which is brill. But that previously ever present spine is now massively compromised and you just can't see a formula from the balance of the squad that can compensate.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:27 pm

If we concede early we will lose. We might as well get used to it.

We were dire for the most part today, passing was off, movement was off, defending for the goals was schoolboy. To top it all off Mantom looked like his knee had gone.

We made a cack side look half decent. I bet you Chesterfield get relegated.

Matt Preston. No thanks not yet. He got lost in his own box and let Ebanks blake have about 19 hours to pick his spot.

Reece Flanagan. Sorry lad but the odd 50 yard ping doesn't disguise the fact you aint good enough.

Jordan Cook. Fraud. No pace, no touch, does not shoot. Its not a striker, is not a winger. I bet he cant even make a cup of tea.

Having said that, their keeper made two excellent saves and we hit the woodwork three times. On another day we might have gotten away with it.

Well done to the official who added on 6 minutes. Totally justified.

I hope the bubble has not burst.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Its now time to get Lalkovic and Kinsella into that side.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Smith got the team selection wrong for me. I thought he'd learnt from his mistakes, but clearly not. It's a shame, because he got it bang on against Burton last week.

Against Burton - a local derby, against a physical side, we knew it was going to be scrappy, probably won by 1 goal, attritional football - packing the midfield and defend was the right way to go.

Against lowly sides at home - like today - you've got to take the game to the opposition. Today was crying out for Lalkovic and Morris. Instead, Smith started with the same team as last week apart from Preston in for OConnor and Demetriou in for Kinsella.

We always struggle when we go 1-0 down because our style of play is quite easy to defend against, because we just play possession football and try to grind the opposition down, teams just pack the middle and keep a solid shape.

Today, it looked like we started more 4-4-1-1 than the 5-3-2 of last week. Rico was playing more as a left winger than he was last week, and Taylor more as a left back. The result was that Rico was barely in the game for over an hour, because, guess what...he's not a left midfielder.

I said earlier in the week and even this morning on Twitter that I'd drop Rico. He's a fantastic player, but he shouldn't be the first name on the team sheet, like he seems to be at the moment, especially not at home.

Smith is reverting to his old mistakes - relying on what are essentially defensive players as attacking outlets (namely Rico and Demetriou). These 2 are fantastic as supplementary attacking facets, to back up wingers, to overlap, to provide that extra man going forward... the key word being EXTRA. They shouldn't be used at home as your main outlet. Just look at how much more space and time Rico and Jason got when we brought Morris and Lalkovic on...they had loads, because the Chesterfield defenders are occupied with Lalko and Morris.

Against teams like Chesterfield you need your attacking, creative players on the field. Just look how much time wasting they did from the 10th minute onwards, they'd have taken a draw before the game so To have Forde, Lalko and Morris on the bench today is ridiculous considering the attacking intent in those 3. We were at home, top of the league, against a struggling side FFS and we played with 5 defenders on the pitch...again! Come on Deano, use your noggin.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm

latviancheese wrote:Well done to the official who added on 6 minutes. Totally justified.

But failed to deal with their time wasting antics from the 10th minute onwards.

Overall not the worst ref, but negative teams get my goat.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Oh well onto the next one.

Preston lost Ebanks-Blake for the first, but there is a defender there to work with. The reality is we have to put faith in the younger players to step in when we have injuries or suspensions as it aids there development. The alternative is to fill the gap with a Premier League youngster.....no thanks, let's blood our own.

Bringing Etheridge and Demitriou back was always a given. They were left out because of being on international duty, not because they had played badly.

Lot of people calling for Lalkovic to be in the team. Is it just me that sees zero end product from him. Yes he is quick, yes he can do multiple step overs but as to anything else.....?

Cook, another 45 minutes, another meh performance! Okay he hit the bar with a header, but 3 other players did that.

One of those games. We weren't at our best, but on another day those shots would have gone in and we have 3 points.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season