Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Thread started early this week as this game is rated as the biggest in England....with no Premiership or Championship matches being played, Walsall (2nd) v Burton Albion (1st) hits the headlines. In light of this, the club has announced that any Season Ticket holder can bring along a friend (Adult, Senior, Junior, whatever) for £5. The match is also notable for the first ever visit of Burton Albion to our fortress along with manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, who guided The Brewers to promotion from League 2 after the departure of Gary Rowett last season. Stuart Beavon is their leading goalscorer with 5 League One goals to his name but Burton aren't exactly a free-scoring side, with only 13 League goals in 11 games so far. In their away fixtures they've scored 6 goals in 5 games, but significantly they've won 4 of those 5, only slipping to a 1-0 defeat at Barnsley. Recent form:

6 Sep Coventry City (H) League One, Lost 1-2
12 Sep Rochdale (H) League One, Won 1-0
19 Sep Swindon Town (A) League One, Won 0-1
26 Sep Chesterfield (A) League One, Won 1-2
29 Sep Sheffield United (H) League One, Drew 0-0
3 Oct Southend United (H) League One, Won 1-0

In a change from recent games Dean Smith does have a headache or two when considering team selection. As our first choice goalkeeper and right-back are away on international duty, a bit of juggling is required. Master MacGillivray will presumably fill the keeper slot, but covering for Jason Demetriou is more tricky. It seems wrong in a way to push O'Connor back into that role because he's made quite a name for himself in central defence of late. I'm almost inclined to say play Andy Taylor at left back and give Rico Henry a run at right back, or is he too much of a left-sided player to cope with that? The thing with so-called full backs these days is that they're expected to do much more than just defend - they must have the ability to press on upfield to assist the forwards, even getting involved to the extent of scoring (Henry at Scunthorpe). It's a far cry from my early days supporting the Saddlers....without looking it up I'm fairly confident in saying that our full-back partnership back in the day (Haddington and Guttridge) must have logged 500 games between them, and the fingers of both hands (or even one hand) would have been sufficient to count their scoring capabilities!

Any road up....a win would put us back on top of the League One table, and we do always seem to play better against the footballing sides rather than the cloggers. I honestly can't see us keeping a clean sheet, so let's go for a nervy 2-1 win, goals courtesy of Tom Bradshaw and Romaine Sawyers.

Gripper
Glitterati

Re: Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Jimmy has been doing a great job. I can see a carbon copy goal as against Bury and Morecambe as they'll just exploit the keeper and lack of our great right back.

Hope the crowd is decent, its genuinely about time the club did an offer like this. The fans that will come along with an ST holder aren't your chelsea attending half and half scarf wearing folk so I'm all for it.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:06 am

Wish I could make this one but will be in Lithuania along with many of Walsall finest for the England match. Didn't look likely to be a top 2 clash when we booked the flights � But will be there is spirit. I think it's a must not lose and hopefully win. Am absolutely gobsmacked about the job Jimmy floyd is doing there, during his playing days he never struck me as someone who would have the desire or ability to manage a club like burton. Fair play to him and fair play to them, hope they do keep going towards promotion as long as it's not at our expense

1 all. 4872 with 523 from ale town

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:46 am

Likewise - I never had this down as a big game looking at the fixtures, so I'll be watching England too, but unfortunately the egg chasing variety in Manchester :( :cry:

Just need someone to post from the middle east now, saying they are watching England play cricket!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:24 am

I'll be in Lithuania too.... going for a 1-1

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:10 pm

0-2

Burton will win

(I have got every prediction wrong this season)

UTS

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:52 pm

2-1 Saddlers, Kinsella at RB and Mac in goal.

Bradshaw and Rico with the goals.

UTS Legend

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:42 am

As before, with our 2 international absentees, we will lose. 0-1 or 0-2. Where are St Kitts and Nevis when you need them?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 am

I am pretty sure we have players that can fill in at right back? not ideal but does it really mean we are destined to lose?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:42 am

Mazza01 wrote:I am pretty sure we have players that can fill in at right back? not ideal but does it really mean we are destined to lose?

2 matches without our international superstars = 2 losses

The maths would suggest so :lol:

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:38 am

Walsall 1 - Burton 1 (Lalkovic)

Attendance: 4,900

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:10 am

scott_powell wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:I am pretty sure we have players that can fill in at right back? not ideal but does it really mean we are destined to lose?

I was trying to be positive :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:09 pm

This one's got draw written all over it, for me.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Burton strike me as a team that work very hard for each other, are defensively strong and have just enough pace in the wide areas to rely on a defense to win games 1-0 and keep it low scoring when they don't pick up a win. A bit like us, except they aren't quite as fluid on the ball. Bigger crowd, international break and no back up right back in the squad.

0-2.
Beavon and the Egyptian lad they have.

No disaster if we do lose, a team that finishes in 6th place has medium-long winless runs over a season..you only need 75 points.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:33 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:0-1 Burton, Kinsella at RB and Mac in goal.

Bradshaw & A.N.Other failing to score the goals again.

There, I've corrected that for you! :mrgreen:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:21 pm

scott_powell wrote:

3rd time lucky ay :wink:
I seem to remember a game(late 70s?) against Reading who had won their opening 9-10 games, and they came to Fellows Park and got turned over 6-0?

Same again Saturday if you don't mind!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:20 pm

How's this for a left field (get it :wink: ) suggestion but maybe play Rico Henry at RB? Yes it's obviously not his natural side so attacks won't be as fluent but plenty of full backs play on the other side and do fine certainly defensively so I wonder if Smith might plump for that or do it the other way and put him in at LB and switch Taylor over.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:29 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:How's this for a left field (get it :wink: ) suggestion but maybe play Rico Henry at RB? Yes it's obviously not his natural side so attacks won't be as fluent but plenty of full backs play on the other side and do fine certainly defensively so I wonder if Smith might plump for that or do it the other way and put him in at LB and switch Taylor over.

I have seldom seen a more blatant copy of my OP :mrgreen: (Apart from Saigon's predictions, of course) :roll:

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:43 pm

buzzing for this weekend, going to wembley to watch england friday then hopefully see us mount the top of league 1!!!!!!!!!!

mac
kinsella
downing
oconnor
henry
chambers
lalkovic
sawyers
mantom
morris
bradshaw

that would be my starting line in a 4-1-4-1 formation.

i always think we will win the game if we take the lead, can see it being tight but i never normally complain about tight 8)

2-0 to the saddlers, bradshaw and sawyers

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:How's this for a left field (get it :wink: ) suggestion but maybe play Rico Henry at RB? Yes it's obviously not his natural side so attacks won't be as fluent but plenty of full backs play on the other side and do fine certainly defensively so I wonder if Smith might plump for that or do it the other way and put him in at LB and switch Taylor over.

I have seldom seen a more blatant copy of my OP :mrgreen: (Apart from Saigon's predictions, of course) :roll:

Opps! :lol:

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:50 am

Quite confident for a change on this one , and hopefully as i'm working again , the lads will keep up their "Win when i'm not there sequence".

Think Burton will bring a few and i expect the crowd to be pushing around 5K.

The crowd will hopefully get behind Deano afetr the will he / won't he go crap and i expect us to be top at the end of the day.

Tom will get a couple after hopefully getting the player of the month award and another Sawyers goal will see us win 3-0.

Obi

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 am

An early goal is very important or this could become a game both teams will just cancel each other out and become a bit of a bore fest, I think we will have learnt a lot from the Crewe game take our chances and win this 2-0 Bradshaw, Morris, Att 5350 - 950 Burton Albion fans

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52 am

otiswfc wrote:An early goal is very important or this could become a game both teams will just cancel each other out and become a bit of a bore fest, I think we will have learnt a lot from the Crewe game take our chances and win this 2-0 Bradshaw, Morris, Att 5350 - 950 Burton Albion fans

Forgive my ignorance or laziness to really think but has Morris scored yet this season? He's probably had our most shots this season on Target? (Would have said Cook but I did say "On Target"). The effort against Brighton was class, great save.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Gripper wrote:
otiswfc wrote:An early goal is very important or this could become a game both teams will just cancel each other out and become a bit of a bore fest, I think we will have learnt a lot from the Crewe game take our chances and win this 2-0 Bradshaw, Morris, Att 5350 - 950 Burton Albion fans

Forgive my ignorance or laziness to really think but has Morris scored yet this season? He's probably had our most shots this season on Target? (Would have said Cook but I did say "On Target"). The effort against Brighton was class, great save.

Can't remember him doing so off the top of my head.

Mantom is one of the highest in the league for shots on target I believe. We as a club are top.

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Rushall Saddler wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Can't remember him doing so off the top of my head.

Mantom is one of the highest in the league for shots on target I believe. We as a club are top.

Thought as much, cheers!!

Not shocked mate, look at the Crewe game as the perfect example of why...even if we didn't put them all away.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:33 pm

This is my formation for Saturday

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=94p8

I haven't seen Burton play, so the following has as much credibility as when Salian posts, but I get the impression they are winning games through spirit and momentum rather than controlling games, a bit like how Fleetwood were unbeaten at home since the Jurassic age last season until they played us and didn't see the ball because we were too good for them*.

2-0 win.

*I reserve the right to change my mind upon actually seeing Burton play.

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:58 pm

It might be a slightly better turn out than most are predicting.... I bought 4 tickets today (over the phone) for the Tile Choice Lower (FL4 & 5) and it seemed to be a bit of a job to get 4 in a row!!

I'm goin for a nervy 2-2 with Bradshaw and Mantom but I'm bothered about our back line with Jason away with his mates for Cyprus Utd.. :roll:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:09 am

Just looked at the games Burton have already played this season, they have only played 3 "decent" teams in the league this season, Coventry, Blades & Rochdale, losing drawing and winning in that order.
As people have mentioned, this ain't a great league this year, there being no outstanding teams (yet!)
We will be the best team they will have played in the league this season (don't have the opportunity to say that very often!) Are they up to it?
The answer will be no, easy victory in front of at least a surprising 6000.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 am

2-1.

Forde to skin 4 opponents before scoring a worldie :roll: & Super Tom to do his usual.

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:24 am

I'll go 2-1 n all.

Bradshaw and Lalko is due one.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season