Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
UTS Legend

Re: Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 pm

JFH:

"They were the better team in the first half and they deserved to be 1-0 up. We didn't play as well as we can; we weren't on the front foot and we were losing our second balls.

"We were going out of our shape to chase the ball and that's what they like because they can pick you off in pockets.

"In the second half, we addressed that and I thought we were the better team and it looked like there was only one team to score. We had a really good chance to score, but it was not meant to be."

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:42 pm

A very good win against strong but limited team. As football is a team game I don't usually pick out individuals but Liam Kinsella was excellent today. Good job AM isn't our Manager else he would have in Siberia after that"throw in" at Morecambe!! Seriously though I keep saying don't write off our youngsters too soon and his performance today backs up that view,of course he needs to repeat it time and time again if he is to succeed.
Anyway well done everyone..lets hope O'Connor's hamstring soon heals because CH is one position where we are short.

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:44 pm

IHTC. wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Deserved that. Burton are absolute rubbish. No chance of them being promoted this season. They're riding the wave of confidence from last season and hopefully we've broke them a little bit. They were an utter disgrace throwing themselves around. Bunch of pussys. Referee was utter bilge. They couldn't even beat us with 12 men.

Now on to us ... I didn't think it was the freeflowing football we're used to today. They were closing us down and giving us no time on the ball so we often had to rush things. It was a gritty performace with some fantastic periods of play thrown in.

Chambers, Sawyers, Kinsella and O'conner were outstanding. 9/10

Flanagan was pretty poor. Played one good ball to Kinsella and put in the odd tackle but other than that was lightweight. 5/10

The rest were a solid 7/10.

Was great to see so many turn up ... Lets see how many are there next week.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!

Hope that's tongue in cheek as clearly you cannot mean that? Well organised and bossed a lot of the 2nd half (especially the first 20 minutes of it) without putting us under too much pressure.

Really good performance from us, regarding the penalty I thought it was a bit soft and we had a better shout 5 minutes earlier when Mantom's effort seemed to be blocked by an arm but nobody appealed.

McGavillarillaryilly looked extremely assured between the post's and I'd be happy to see him start next week, also Kinsella deserves to be on the bench at least (Baxendale can go look after the kids at half time).

Sawyers just get's better and better.

Henry just get's better and better.

Tough to say there's a 'weak link' when we are top but Flanagan is that 'weak link'. Lets hope sicknote can get fit.

Cannot wait for next week :D

Don't think Reece Flanagan is good enough, might need a loan spell for experience and confidence. Where is Cain nowadays? Leicester City Reserves? He'd be a brilliant loan signing to release pressure of Reece.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Firstly, I was not impressed by Burton. Diving, cheating, fouling scumbags. Remind me of Posh a few seasons ago, because they have a "name" manager think they can just expect to turn up a win, well today they had a wake up call. We were far better and apart from a few limited opportunities we dealt with them comfortably. They will finish mid table.

Secondly, the ref was appalling today. If I'd have turned up to work and done that bad I'd get a bollocking. Also the linesmen were poor, we should have had an offside decision but the Lino couldn't give it cos he was 5 yards behind play. Very poor.

Lastly, I thought we were outstanding today. Kinsella, Rico, Sawyers, Chambers really stood out but the team all performed well. A note on Chesney. Yes he is a bit lightweight and I think lacks a little confidence but he doesn't hide, tries hard and with work will get better. I think he is being included as a long term replacement for Chambers and will only get better with experience. Some folk I hear at games need to remember that, but then the same people still think Sawyers is lazy and rubbish(kept clean from what is actually said). These are the same people that were critical of a lot of the play today. I think football may not be for them.

UTS Jimmy what's the score, Jimmy Jimmy what's the score.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Caldy -excellent post but are you saying people were criticising our play today? If so they should take a look at themselves. We played well,at times very well against a strong outfit(the sort we usually struggle against) and were a credit to our division.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Yes mate. Criticising when we got tackled, stray pass, slow build up play. These are fans that go week in week out so should know better. It's the same 4 every week. Really pees me off. Football is subjective, I know that but to be constantly negative makes you wonder what makes these people tick.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Have I missed something? There doesn't appear to be a post by Sallian on this match thread.

Perhaps with his pre match briefing to DS on how to score more than one goal against the league leaders and not concede a goal coming off, he feels his work is done today.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Very good performance today. From what I've seen this season only our performance at Forest was better. Great win against a very decent but not spectacular team and nice to shut up the Brewers fans giving it large with their "we're top of the league" chants. Pity many didn't take defeat too well - the hand gestures of those old guys near the front were as embarrassing as some of their players feigning injuries and cheating tactics.

We are now top of the league! UTS

superjorge

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Get off Chesney's back all of you. He is going to be good when he gets game time. We are top, let's be positive. At the end of the day, in my opinion, all we need is a second striker and a crowd that supports the team who are TOP.
Too many 'fans' think the heady days of the old second division are where we should be. No!!!!!. We are where we should be and are now fighting well above our weight and winning.
Come on Walsall!!!!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Top of the league and indeed having a laugh.

They were a surprisingly cynical bunch. Diving and all that nonsense.

I thought we were very good. All the better for having three of our most consistent players (Mantom, Taylor and Bradshaw) having slightly off days. These were more than made up for by the excellent displays by O 'Connor, Chambers, Sawyers, Kinsella and Henry. I thought the way the latter two refused to be intimidated by the various lumps that were put up against them was inspiring.

Great crowd and a decent atmosphere too.

Lovely.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:53 pm

What a great day to be a Saddler

Incidentally, anyone know when we were last top of the third tier after at least 10 games?

SWS1

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Great, ain't it? :D :D :D Feels real good :D
Also, Wales got through to the Euro Finals because Cyprus beat Israel 2 - 1. Who scored the winning goal for Cyprus? Oh, yes. One Jason Demetriou who plays for a certain club in the West Midlands :D :D :D
[size=150][/UTSsize]
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Just wait until our internationals get back :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:11 pm

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:35 pm

One 18 year old
One 19 year old
Three 20 year olds
Two 21 year olds
Two 22 year olds
Five 23 year olds
One 25 year old
One 29year old
One 30 year old
One 34 year old

Those are the ages of today's eighteen selected for the team and bench.

Six of those have come through the youth system.

All very encouraging when you consider that there aren't really too many "makeweights" amongst them.

Another good thing this season is with the manager having thrown away the shackles that restricted his team selections in the past, meaning more players are now getting game time and therefore increasing their experience and proving their capabilities.

I feared that we wouldn't have enough creativity in the starting eleven when I saw the team news with Morris and Lalkovic being omitted, but with the performances of both Henry and Kinsella in the wide areas those fears were unfounded.

Chambers was outstanding in everything he did.

Kinsella cannot be confined to the margins again when Demetriou returns, as not only would that not be fair, but it wouldn't be sensible, as Kinsella's development has already suffered virtually a wasted year since his impressive series of performances early last season and he warrants a place in every match day eighteen from what I have seen. I'm not advocating that he keeps his place instead of Demetriou, but I am suggesting that he should be regularly replacing one of the players currently occupying a permanent bench place.

Bradshaw must be delighted to have kept his goal scoring ticking over, especially given the lack of and poor service he was given.

Congratulations all round with everyone playing their part.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:39 pm

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:12 am

Super Gabor wrote:Have I missed something? There doesn't appear to be a post by Sallian on this match thread.

Perhaps with his pre match briefing to DS on how to score more than one goal against the league leaders and not concede a goal coming off, he feels his work is done today.

My only disappointment is that we don't have a points cushion, there is nothing between the top 5 at the moment and others I think will soon join the leading group. I wish we were involving Murphy and Bakayoko in the goal scoring plans.... I don't see the point in having young players and waiting till they are old men before we play them....I think young players can play with more gusto and confidence than older established players due to the desire to impress and lack of pressure on them.

However more interesting and significant than that is my dream last night.... I was around a university area in Brentford (only in the dream, and it looked more like East-Central London) I was walking past a shop and it had up the latest score....Walsall 2 Brentford 0 or it may have said Walsall 2 Burton 0 (but I think it was Brentford)... I was annoyed that no-one informed me the game was on, as thought...I could easily have got to this match... Anyway, then I realised that although I was in the area, the game was actually in Walsall.

I didn't see the score today until I was informed by father, and I then told him my dream. He told me the Sky Sports guy said when Walsall went 1-0 up...."It will be difficult for Burton to win now as Walsall have the best defence in the league and only ever concede one goal at most" or something like that.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:14 am

Good win. I must say the highlights are a pleasure to watch this season!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:27 am

As I said yesterday the penalty is soft and the block on Mantom shot was more a penalty for me as it stopped an almost definite goal.

Saddler73

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:21 am

I must confess I was not confident yesterday morning that we'd get that result, and I imagine others felt the same - the atmosphere in the ground was quite nervy. Despite this the boys kept their composure and it was great that we found a way to win in a match which would have been easy to bottle!

Credit to Smith, for me he got tactics spot on yesterday. First half we pressed Burton and played with an intensity and Burton couldn't get near us.

I know others have said it, but Henry and Kinsella were both class! Does anyone know what position Kinsella was playing in the youth teams (CM I think)?

Second half was rather nervy, not helped by a couple of small defensive lapses and we rode our luck a little. I was a bit frustrated that Smith, took so long to react and make a change but when he did putting Sawyers at CM proved a good move. It got him involved in the match again.

It hints though at Smith's problem (or fault) of not building a squad balanced for that system. We had 5 (6 if you include Brads) players on the pitch yesterday with no direct replacement.

Flanagan did OK yesterday, but just wondering if Kinsella should get a run at CM when Denetriou comes back in. Does anyone know if Osbourne is over this injury yet?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:08 am

Osborne is having knee surgery, so will be out for a month or more.

Not sure why people are saying Mantom had a good game yesterday...they all played well, but by Mantoms standards, it wasn't a good performance. He missed 3 good opportunities to score (including one not shown on the highlights for some reason, which was the easiest of the three), and he general play was quite sloppy and slow by his standards.

OConnor has been outstanding all season, and much of last season, which makes it even more incredible that Smith kept dropping him or playing him at right back (with James Chambers, a right back himself at centre half).

Something changed in Smiths mind over the summer.

Also, interesting to see smith go 4-4-2 for the last 10-15 mins yesterday, strange decision considering it made us more top heavy, I can only guess he wanted more pressing higher up the field.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:04 am

philthesaddler wrote:Not sure why people are saying Mantom had a good game yesterday...they all played well, but by Mantoms standards, it wasn't a good performance. He missed 3 good opportunities to score (including one not shown on the highlights for some reason, which was the easiest of the three), and he general play was quite sloppy and slow by his standards.

I think that's totally missing what Mantom brings to the team, which is energy, commitment and positional sense. From what I have seen this season, he would definitely be one of the reasons why our crab-like football of last year has turned into something much more positive. One minute he's back in defence, the net he pops up making a break down the wing or getting into the box to miss those chances you talk of. I'd agree that he could do with a bit of shooting practice, but I'd certainly have him down as a top League One midfielder - he must be, we're top of the league and he's in our midfield!

philthesaddler wrote:OConnor has been outstanding all season, and much of last season, which makes it even more incredible that Smith kept dropping him or playing him at right back (with James Chambers, a right back himself at centre half).

I think that's a bit harsh on Mr Smith. O' Connor's career had seen a few ups and downs before he arrived at us and, in the games I saw him early on, he looked like he was lacking match fitness and sharpness. We're now seeing a player who has got game-time under his belt and is reading the game beautifully.

philthesaddler wrote:Also, interesting to see smith go 4-4-2 for the last 10-15 mins yesterday, strange decision considering it made us more top heavy, I can only guess he wanted more pressing higher up the field.

Not strange at all really. Sawyers was isolated too far forward and we weren't getting enough possession in the middle of the park (where Flanagan was tiring rapidly). The 4-4-2 was to accommodate Sawyers dropping back and getting him possession back there so that we held onto the ball. It pretty much worked I thought and we created a few good chances.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:46 am

Just watched the highlights. Is it Cook who makes that phenomenal tackle on the halfway line to set us up on the break for the second goal? Great stuff!

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Just watched the highlights. Is it Cook who makes that phenomenal tackle on the halfway line to set us up on the break for the second goal? Great stuff!

It sure was! Definitely a penalty as well, their bloke Edwards, clearly puts his arm out as Sawyers dinked it through. I haven't a clue why the ref waited so long before he made his decision!
Great all round performance, Smith got it spot on, including the sustitutions!
Like others have already mentioned, we played 12 men yesterday and beat them fairly comfortably!
UTS!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:43 pm

I agree that Kinsella needs to keep his place in the 18. If all fit it would mean a dilemma for Smith who would need to leave out a Bax, Milan, Morris, Cook or Forde which I think he'd be quite reluctant to do. Similarly if and when Osbourne gets fit the easy call would for Flangan to disappear which again, I feel would unfair.

I think he might mix it up next week and give one or two of the players I mention a chance. Would like to see Milan and/or Morris given a start in the kind of free formation we had in August when we had a clear defensive shape but were really fluid and unpredictable going forward.

Unfortunately we don't have many options through the spine which could be the only thing that could stop us this season. O'Connor, Chambers, Mantom and Bradshaw (the latter two of whom looked leggy to me yesterday) need to play every minute of every game which could catch up with us at some point.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:46 pm

As Saddler 73 said why not give Kinsella a couple of starts at CM when Jason returns.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Bax for the chop surely?

His career is drifting away, to me it's odd he hasn't gone to a league 2 club on loan to at least rebuild confidence and try to see if there's still a player there that was evident for most of 2013.

He'll be cut from the 18 when Osbourne is fit.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Surprised with the criticism for young Flanagan today. Didn't really see him put a foot wrong and him and Adam Chambers were working together fantastically not only getting stuck in but also passing and ball retention.

I think Deano subbed Flanagan off at the right time as he was starting to tire. Just a shame we only really had Cook to come in place of him. Hopefully Osbourne is back soon as he could be key!

Another point, it would be interesting to see what Benning could do in the team as a wing back competing with young Rico. Would have been interesting to see those two competing as Mal was excellent attacking wise and had great fitness.

As mentioned above Kinsella possibly centre mid to compete with Flanagan/osbourne?

All very positive and exciting times!

Up the saddlers!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Disappointed with the criticism aimed at Flanagan apart from a couple of stray passed he broke up play really well. A number of fans are getting a little carried away with their expectations.

SWS1

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Great highlights from Channel 4 (?). Very impressed by the way that Kinsella and Henry provide a real threat going forward. DS has real (but good) selection headaches when everyone is available. This must be one of the youngest and most exciting squads ever. Let's see how we cope with the inevitable downturn - or, maybe, this team can keep it going! :D
One thing - I did say at the time I thought we didn't give Benning enough of a chance,but, Hey, the management seem to know what they are doing. Happy! :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Disappointed with the criticism aimed at Flanagan apart from a couple of stray passed he broke up play really well. A number of fans are getting a little carried away with their expectations.

Just to defend what I said which was that he was the weak link, does not mean to say he was rubbish.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season