Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Burton Albion (H) League One, 10th October 3pm

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Guest wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Looks at least 6,000, burton filled away end, family is fairly populated and floors to go is full.

Shite atmosphere though can only hear the Burton lot.

6812 att

Looked empty on tv, the cameras being where they are.

Only in the family, and that was a hell of a lot more full than usual. Tile Choice lower looked 90% full.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Guest wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Looks at least 6,000, burton filled away end, family is fairly populated and floors to go is full.

6812 att

Only in the family, and that was a hell of a lot more full than usual. Tile Choice lower looked 90% full.
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
Guest wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:

6812 att

Only clear, available seats were in half of family stand and that was because it was closed as usual. Good to see it so populated to be fair, shame we didn't create any noise again though.

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm

:D Offer here,

6,812 , well done to all who supported the Super Saddlers.

I have had my cock out since 4.00pm and its still out..

:D Offer

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:20 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Guest wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:

6812 att

Only clear, available seats were in half of family stand and that was because it was closed as usual. Good to see it so populated to be fair, shame we didn't create any noise again though.

Yes poor backing, we are always top class away from home though. One of the best.

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
Guest wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:

6812 att

We should move either the oaps or the cameras to the family stand.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:33 pm

All I can say about today is that really was a performance of champions. Dogged, gritty, up for the fight, with some lovely football on show.

Especially playing against 12 men.

Kinsella, how do you drop him?

Jimmy Hasslebaink is a twerp.

E i e I e I ooooooooo

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Superb performance and a terrific advert for League 1 football, barring a handful of strange decisions from the ref.

OConnor was immense. Sawyers also immense. Kinsella, considering he's hardly played was superb, took his goal really well, will be harsh to drop him for next week.

Chambers deserved MOTM tho, he was the outstanding player on the pitch - it was a day for deep lying midfielders tho, attritional football, local derby etc.

Rico ran his heart out and didn't look physically daunted by the fella he was marking.

Still feel we need something more upfront to bring more goals, 18 goals from 12 games is 1.5 a game, we need to up that to 2 per game if we are to stay in the hunt for an automatic spot.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Deserved that. Burton are absolute rubbish goimg forward. No chance of them being promoted this season. They're riding the wave of confidence from last season and hopefully we've broke them a little bit. They're well organised at the back but they were an utter disgrace throwing themselves around. Bunch of pussys. Referee was utter bilge. They couldn't even beat us with 12 men.

Now on to us ... I didn't think it was the freeflowing football we're used to today. They were closing us down and giving us no time on the ball so we often had to rush things. It was a gritty performace with some fantastic periods of play thrown in.

Chambers, Sawyers, Kinsella and O'conner were outstanding. 9/10

Flanagan was pretty poor. Played one good ball to Kinsella and put in the odd tackle but other than that was lightweight. 5/10

The rest were a solid 7/10.

Was great to see so many turn up ... Lets see how many are there next week.

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!
Last edited by scott_powell on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Oh and if you're still not convinced by Sawyers then you're thick. End of.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Thoroughly deserved win. Interesting selection again. Three-man defence with Kinsella and Henry as wing-backs. Chambers (easily the MotM) and Mantom with Flanagan running the midfield and Sawyers pushing on and Bradshaw up front. I felt sorry for Super Tom as he lacked close support and the Burton defence marshalled him well. Sawyers was supposed to do that job but seemed reluctant to shoot or close up on Bradshaw. In fairness to DS, he saw that and took Flanagan off, allowed Sawyers to drop a bit deeper and pushed Cook up front (that last bit - not such a good idea! :mrgreen: ).

Phil rightly points out that we really need to up our scoring rate if we are to stay in the promotion mix. Mantom, Sawyers and Flanagan all seem far too reluctant to "pull the trigger" and, as a consequence, miss the opportunity or give the ball away.

Our two slapheads, Chambers and O'Connor, are enjoying an outstanding Indian Summer to their careers. They hardly put a foot wrong all match. The team as a whole was in top form. IF we can maintain this level of performance, then promotion is a definite possibility (or probability). We have emerged from the international break, not just unscathed, but also strengthened.

Burton Albion? Organised and workmanlike and you could see that JFH has done a good job to get them where they are. However, that no. 10, Lucas Akins - what a carthorse (and a whinging wuss!). I'm sure he must have had a bale of hay instead of an energy drink in the dressing room at half-time.

As a footnote, did anyone else notice that Jeremy Corbyn was moonlighting, running the line on the dugout side? I don't know - these MPs with their second jobs - Monday to Friday, Leader of the Opposition, on Saturdays, Assistant Referee.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Fantastic result and performance.

What I liked about today is everyone was up for it right from kick off, fans who were excellent from first minute and the tempo of the team was excellent which isn't always the case in home games. Everyone just wanted to get the job done today.

I think the sponsors got Chambers MOTM spot on, he was excellent defending today and also drove forward on occasions but Sawyers was sublime second half. The whole team were good though, just hope the O'Connor injury isn't a couple of weeks job as that sort of thing can disrupt things.

Burton are a solid team and in fairness were much better second half and could've easily still got a 1-1 out of it with that incredible six yard miss at the end but don't see a huge amount of goals with them so think they'll fall away as the season goes on.

A word on their fans though....you're watching the best ever Burton Albion team and who've played well in the second half and yet it's like a fire drill as soon as Bradshaw slots in the penalty. You'd think they'd have stayed to clap them off, it's not like it's a long trip home for most of their fans.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 pm

MOTM Chambers - Spot On.

Mantom needs shooting lessons.

That was Kinsella's claim, I can't see him being loaned out any time soon after that.

Rico was great, lets face it him and Kinsella are kids and they more than hold their own.

Great result, happy days.

Also, I was quite convinced by Downing today who otherwise usually gives me a good few nervous moments. Won everything he had to in the air. We were cut open once and they should've equalised but we got lucky.
Last edited by Gripper on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Get in, the fact we had 3 youth teamers in Flanagan, Henry and Kinsella starting in a huge match to go top, with all 3 putting in good performances is the most gratifying part of it. Another youth teamer coming on as a sub as well.

Well deserved win.

Anyone know what O'Connor's injury is by the way? Head cut?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Just very, very solid. It was one of those results we've seen the likes of Bristol City and dare I say it, Wolves, pick up as a matter of routine over the last couple of years en route to promotion and it certainly shows we're serious.

Thought we were rubbish for the first 10, better for the next 10 & then we'll on top for the rest of the first half. They gave it a good go in the second half to be fair, but I always thought we looked more likely to score on the break than they did throwing bodies forward. The chance Mantom missed when we had 3v1 was a good example of that (and an awful waste as well).

If im being picky, I'm not quite sure I like how unbalanced our three centre halves are. Taylor still plays like a left back a lot of the time - even taking the throw-ins - which hampers the space Henry has to play in. It looked better in the second half than the first though, so maybe it's a case of Taylor being a little slow to get into that system whenever we play it.

Other than the above though, it was a really good all round performance. We didn't half have to contend with some rubbish decisions from the ref, which makes the win all the more relieving. A goal for Bradshaw in what was a scrappy game for him, a clean sheet for McGillivray, and Kinsella really stepping up to the plate were all huge bonuses.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:38 pm

scott_powell wrote:Deserved that. Burton are absolute rubbish. No chance of them being promoted this season. They're riding the wave of confidence from last season and hopefully we've broke them a little bit. They were an utter disgrace throwing themselves around. Bunch of pussys. Referee was utter bilge. They couldn't even beat us with 12 men.

Now on to us ... I didn't think it was the freeflowing football we're used to today. They were closing us down and giving us no time on the ball so we often had to rush things. It was a gritty performace with some fantastic periods of play thrown in.

Flanagan was pretty poor. Played one good ball to Kinsella and put in the odd tackle but other than that was lightweight. 5/10

Hope that's tongue in cheek as clearly you cannot mean that? Well organised and bossed a lot of the 2nd half (especially the first 20 minutes of it) without putting us under too much pressure.

Really good performance from us, regarding the penalty I thought it was a bit soft and we had a better shout 5 minutes earlier when Mantom's effort seemed to be blocked by an arm but nobody appealed.

McGavillarillaryilly looked extremely assured between the post's and I'd be happy to see him start next week, also Kinsella deserves to be on the bench at least (Baxendale can go look after the kids at half time).

Sawyers just get's better and better.

Henry just get's better and better.

Tough to say there's a 'weak link' when we are top but Flanagan is that 'weak link'. Lets hope sicknote can get fit.

Cannot wait for next week :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:41 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Get in, the fact we had 3 youth teamers in Flanagan, Henry and Kinsella starting in a huge match to go top, with all 3 putting in good performances is the most gratifying part of it. Another youth teamer coming on as a sub as well.

Well deserved win.

Anyone know what O'Connor's injury is by the way? Head cut?

Hamstring

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Interesting a few comments people are making about how poor the atmosphere was...where do you guys sit? I was in the Upper Tile Choice again and thought it was excellent for most of the game.

Maybe more proof that Bescot just isn't a ground that carries noise well from stand to stand.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Cracking game of football!

Deserved the win!

The ref was a knob.

End.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:45 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Interesting a few comments people are making about how poor the atmosphere was...where do you guys sit? I was in the Upper Tile Choice again and thought it was excellent for most of the game.

Maybe more proof that Bescot just isn't a ground that carries noise well from stand to stand.

Almost on the half way line, and it seemed terrible.

All I could hear was Burton singing until we scored and I've never heard an away support go so quite for the rest of the game, yes our home support regarding singing is very poor but away from home ( as someone else pointed out) is one of the best.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 pm

IHTC. wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Deserved that. Burton are absolute rubbish. No chance of them being promoted this season. They're riding the wave of confidence from last season and hopefully we've broke them a little bit. They were an utter disgrace throwing themselves around. Bunch of pussys. Referee was utter bilge. They couldn't even beat us with 12 men.

Hope that's tongue in cheek as clearly you cannot mean that? Well organised and bossed a lot of the 2nd half (especially the first 20 minutes of it) without putting us under too much pressure.

Really good performance from us, regarding the penalty I thought it was a bit soft and we had a better shout 5 minutes earlier when Mantom's effort seemed to be blocked by an arm but nobody appealed.

McGavillarillaryilly looked extremely assured between the post's and I'd be happy to see him start next week, also Kinsella deserves to be on the bench at least (Baxendale can go look after the kids at half time).

Tough to say there's a 'weak link' when we are top but Flanagan is that 'weak link'. Lets hope sicknote can get fit.

Very tongue in cheek ;)

More fustration at that theatrical 6"4 number 10 twerp. I wouldn't say they controlled it much. They did nothing
Last edited by scott_powell on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:47 pm

What a tremendous result, cannot believe he actually used Kinsella, Flanagan & Rico, but it seems to have worked! :D THAT throw in has obviously been forgiven. :shock:
WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Very tongue in cheek ;)

Phew :lol:

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm

IHTC. wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Interesting a few comments people are making about how poor the atmosphere was...where do you guys sit? I was in the Upper Tile Choice again and thought it was excellent for most of the game.

All I could hear was Burton singing until we scored and I've never heard an away support go so quite for the rest of the game, yes our home support regarding singing is very poor but away from home ( as someone else pointed out) is one of the best.

Especially if dad takes along that kid on his shoulders again!! bostin moment!

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:58 pm

My nephew received a text during the match from his mate in Wednesbury saying he could hear the crowd from his house.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 pm

IHTC. wrote:

All I heard from Burton was " ALBIONZZZZZZZZZZZ" :lol:

That's the trouble with these teams rising quickly through the divisions, they have a small core of hardcore support and then loads of day trippers tagged on so they don't know many chants and it all becomes muted. Just like at Wembley.

I thought the atmosphere was excellent today and trust me I've sat through far too many dire midweek games when yes it is like a Morgue.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Walsall 2 - Diving bunch of professional cheats 0

The Burton 12th man ie. the referee, was the poorest I've seen this season, complete garbage. Some of those decisions he made were baffling in particular in the second half when Sawyers intercepted a pass, sidestepped that dumpy Mc something midfielder and was pushed in the back and then tackled from behind by some Burton mutant who then fell over/dived at the feet of Sawyers and was awarded a free kick.!!!!

Pedagogue wrote:As a footnote, did anyone else notice that Jeremy Corbyn was moonlighting, running the line on the dugout side? I don't know - these MPs with their second jobs - Monday to Friday, Leader of the Opposition, on Saturdays, Assistant Referee.

He's probably more electable than the Labour party's latest left wing oddball who you've been rather quite about :D

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Really good game. That is the sort of win we need to grind out if we are to be successful this season.

Burton are a very decent outfit but lack that cutting edge. In a way they remind me of Stevenage on their first season up in L1 and have a few of their players in their side. Well organised and very physical but won't score many.

We were great overall. Kinsella or Chambers for MoM for me. Although people still class Flanagan as our weak link, he broke up at least a couple of their dangerous attacks in the 2nd half and was far from passenger in the side.

I thought the atmosphere was generally good too. Went a bit quiet for periods in the 2nd half but that was due to tension over anything else.

Some great highlights on Sky Sports : http://www.skysports.com/football/walsa ... alb/340226

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Great result especially taking into account we wasn't at full strength.

With both internationals and Morris and Milan all not featuring you can't help but be impressed. These players will more than likely come in next game and freshen us up. The Ginger tinker man :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season