Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:07 am

Well, this is our Cup Final (according to some) as all teams are going to raise their game when playing Wigan Athletic because of their recent Premiership pedigree. It's worth quoting the words of Wigan's 24-year old Chairman, spoken at a pre-season meeting with supporters......"I don't just want to win this league. I want to smash it and get 100 points. We'll have a very good budget, five times more than anyone else in League One."

As things stand he's a little behind schedule with almost a quarter of the season gone, seeing his team 9th in the table on 15 points. Top scorer is a certain W. Grigg with 3 league goals to his name, but it should be noted that 9 players have found the net for Wigan so far this season in their total of 14 League goals, including young Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila with 1. It should also be noted that while Wigan's away form is pretty dire (P5, W1 D1 L3, goals 6-10) their home form is impressive (P5, W3 D2 L0, goals 8-3) and that's what we are up against. Hoping to keep us out is, of course, Richard O'Donnell. Wigan's recent form:

29 Aug Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Won 1-0
5 Sep Chesterfield (A) League One, Won 2-3
12 Sep Port Vale (A) League One, Lost 3-2
19 Sep Fleetwood (H) League One, Won 2-1
26 Sep Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Drew 1-1
29 Sep Millwall (H) League One, Drew 2-2

I don't need to tell you how good our away form is, but I will anyway....(P5, W4 D1 L0, goals 10-2) - that will no doubt be the kiss of death for Saturday, but hey ho!! There's no way to accurately predict Dean Smith's line-up for this one, but whichever starting XI is chosen I would be quite happy with a point from this game. Let's go for a 1-1 scoreline, with another Sawyers rocket from distance. Or possibly an O'Connor header from a corner kick, playing on R O'D's occasional inability to command his area....... :wink:

(Edit: Another motivating factor for us not to slip up at Wigan is that Burton and Gillingham both have apparently easy fixtures on Saturday, at home to Southend and Oldham. We don't want to let them get away.......)

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:53 am

Wigan 1 - 3 Walsall

Grigg Obv.

Bradshaw, Mantom, Cook (deserves one really!).

Let's smash 'em lads!

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 pm

I presume you can buy tickets on the day at the ground?
It's not as if the ground will be sold out,(although would think it will be Wigans biggest attendance so far)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:28 pm

A few 'points of interest' to anyone driving to the game...
Away supporters have their own car park, just before the ground...£5 though
Do NOT be tempted to use the Retail Centre car park close to the ground 'Robin Park'. On match days they have special attendants watching out for attempts to park there, it is strictly two hours only.
The Ground has one exit only, so don't expect to be away from the ground in anything under 45Minutes to an hour! (Unless we are already winning 4-0 and you feel as if you could easily leave early! :lol: )
We have the North Stand to ourselves.
Enjoy the win folks!!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 pm

2-0 win, Bradshaw at the double.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Looking forward to this, never been to the DW before....Not expecting much from the match.

A draw will do....Always hopeful though.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:A few 'points of interest' to anyone driving to the game...
Do NOT be tempted to use the Retail Centre car park close to the ground 'Robin Park'. On match days they have special attendants watching out for attempts to park there, it is strictly two hours only.
The Ground has one exit only, so don't expect to be away from the ground in anything under 45Minutes to an hour! (Unless we are already winning 4-0 and you feel as if you could easily leave early! :lol: )
Enjoy the win folks!!

How soon do you reckon Wigan will get 100 points, February....March....2018? :wink:

Seriously it's a really good away trip, been looking forward to this one since the fixtures were drawn.

Randomly went to Wigan Arsenal a few years ago when they were in the prem. Plenty of decent boozers in the centre like the Berkeley where home and away fans were mixing freely and a reasonable 20 minute walk.

Was in a pub down a side street after the game and a bloke just suddenly feel off a bar stool in the middle of the pub without warning. At 4pm. :lol:

sj
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 am

Been to 12 games in the last year, Crew being the last one. You can find me in the community stand block B next to the Kids. Reflections, we are rather good in attack but fragile at the back, the Chelsea game was a good example of this.

My Politics stops me from attending more games, I aint no Bruce George.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:55 am

I presume we can pay on the gate for this?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:03 am

Yeah you can, don't think the prices change but unsure.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:05 am

scott_powell wrote:I presume we can pay on the gate for this?

According to Wigan Athletic's official website.... "A pay on the day facility will be available for this fixture"

There will be cash turnstiles on the East and South stands, with tickets available to purchase for the West stand from the DW Stadium ticket office. Which of these stands is dedicated to away supporters I have no idea..... :?

Pricing: Adults £20
U-18's £10
U-11's £5

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:38 am

Cheers Welsh!

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:17 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I presume we can pay on the gate for this?

According to Wigan Athletic's official website.... "A pay on the day facility will be available for this fixture"

There will be cash turnstiles on the East and South stands, with tickets available to purchase for the West stand from the DW Stadium ticket office. Which of these stands is dedicated to away supporters I have no idea..... :?

Pricing: Adults £20
U-18's £10
U-11's £5

We get the North Stand. I rang the Wigan Ticket Office and they confirmed that away fans can pay on the gate there.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:43 am

Wigan unbeaten at Home, Walsall unbeaten away. Hmmmm.

Wigan's wins at home against Scunthorpe, Crewe & Fleetwood.

I fancy us to come away with a point or three.

A sneaky 2-1 for us. Bradshaw & Mantom.

Their chairman to throw his toys out of his executive box at the final whistle.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:A few 'points of interest' to anyone driving to the game...
Enjoy the win folks!!

How soon do you reckon Wigan will get 100 points, February....March....2018? :wink:

Seriously it's a really good away trip, been looking forward to this one since the fixtures were drawn.

Randomly went to Wigan Arsenal a few years ago when they were in the prem. Plenty of decent boozers in the centre like the Berkeley where home and away fans were mixing freely and a reasonable 20 minute walk.

Was in a pub down a side street after the game and a bloke just suddenly feel off a bar stool in the middle of the pub without warning. At 4pm. :lol:

Beware if you are not an athlete like Belg, believe me, the new ground is a good distance from the town! Don't stumble out of a town centre pub in a haze of alcohol at 2.30, it's not like the old Springfield Park, you WON'T be at the ground for kick off!! :mrgreen:

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Got a feeling it'll be a hard fought 1-0 to us, an unlikely goal scorer too like chambers.

And we'll be 1st in the league as burton will only draw!

UTS

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Beware if you are not an athlete like Belg, believe me, the new ground is a good distance from the town! Don't stumble out of a town centre pub in a haze of alcohol at 2.30, it's not like the old Springfield Park, you WON'T be at the ground for kick off!! :mrgreen:

You being a local AM where's the best place to park up a have a drink(I'm being chauffeured :wink: )

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Enjoy the win folks!!

Beware if you are not an athlete like Belg, believe me, the new ground is a good distance from the town! Don't stumble out of a town centre pub in a haze of alcohol at 2.30, it's not like the old Springfield Park, you WON'T be at the ground for kick off!! :mrgreen:

Why would anyone leave the pub that early?

Anyway most of the people that can remember Springfield Park will have been to the new ground too. "Red seats, cos its a rugby ground. Red seats...."

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Enjoy the win folks!!

How long to walk from the station do you reckon?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:06 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Enjoy the win folks!!

How long to walk from the station do you reckon?

25 minutes.

50 minutes if you're MP Saddler having to sign cheques and bank statements every few yards. :mrgreen:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Enjoy the win folks!!

Kick off??? I know at least two fans that have at least once not made the final whistle, let alone kick off :mrgreen:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Kick off how over rated

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Don't listen to AM, for anybody who doesn't have a Zimmer frame the ground is easily reachable in 15 mins from town. His point about parking at the ground is valid though, don't be tempted to park on retail park cos they are barstewards and official car park costs a fortune. If I was driving up I would drive to train station and park at the virgin car park next to Wigan north west station, it's 2 quid all day at weekends.

If you on train, there are 2 stations in Wigan. Wigan north west which is where you will arrive if you travelling up from Brum and Wigan wall gate if you are travelling from Blackpool or wherever. Doesn't really matter they are 50 yards apart. Whichever train station you are at you will be at bottom of a hill. If you go up the hill then you are heading towards town and within 3 minutes you will see various good pubs on your right. Berkleys is a big football pub where many away fans usually head to, lots of TVs etc but also decent ale. There is also the Raven which is a real proper old pub, not really a football pub but just a really nice old pub. Few yards further you have moon on the water, a wetherspoons.

But if you really like your real ale, I would recommend going the other way, out of Wigan north west station under railway bridge and turn immediately left and you have a little place called Wigan central. Always 4 or 5 different ales on and pork pies with mustard :D :D

From the station it's about 15 mins walk to ground. Under railway bridge bear right and through an industrial estate and over a canal. Sounds complicated but it ay. There will be fair few latics fans walking that way so follow them. I will be around, not drinking due to marathon next day, but will pop into town then Wigan central before walking to match.

Don't be tempted to try and park and drink by ground, you will be stuck in traffic, home fans only pubs and cost you a fortune to park. It's an ideal away match, loads of good boozers in town and walking distance to match.

Btw I agree with MMF, why on earth would anyone want to leave the pub at 2.30 �

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:34 am

4 points from our last two away fixtures would be a fantastic return so I'll go for a 1-1 in this.

Sawyers thunderbolt for us and Jacobs for them.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:08 am

A question for anyone who knows the Wigan area, what's it like in Wigan on Saturday nights? I have to be in Manchester by 0800 on the Sunday, so need to book overnight stay.
I was thinking of booking hotel in Wigan so could have good all day/night session, so I dont have to drive to Manchester after the match

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:24 am

Belg, I knew you were, but how on earth are you going to a match without a drink, that's like the Queen going somewhere that doesn't smell of paint! :lol:
You are indeed a true hero! best of luck on Sunday if we don't see each other at the match!
Contribution will follow as soon as.
Difficult for me too, not only driving to the match but we are at a 'do' at night and I have been warned not to get blathered....as if! (not that I would EVER drink and drive obviously!)
Come on me babbies, get some crosses in. their goalie is a bit suspect on them so I'm told! :lol: :lol:
Can see lots of wads of cash being waved at certain players on their side. :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Wragbyred wrote:A question for anyone who knows the Wigan area, what's it like in Wigan on Saturday nights? I have to be in Manchester by 0800 on the Sunday, so need to book overnight stay.
I was thinking of booking hotel in Wigan so could have good all day/night session, so I dont have to drive to Manchester after the match

Wigan is a good night out. The town centre is not big so all going out places are close together. Pubs I mentioned in earlier thread are all town centre and they are usually good place to start. Then King street is where all the theme pubs and the clubs are and that is usually lively until whatever o'clock. Can be rough but not any rougher than other town centres including Walsall lol. There are couple of decent cheapest hotels in town centre including a relatively new premier inn. Just don't mention the words "rugby" and "union" in the same sentence � So yes it is a good night out, loads of people about but don't get in a fight with a Wigan girl, they are hard as nails :D

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Enjoy the win folks!!

Why would anyone leave the pub that early?

Anyway most of the people that can remember Springfield Park will have been to the new ground too. "Red seats, cos its a rugby ground. Red seats...."

Yep, I reckon I must be one of the few who's not been to the DW yet but saw us lose 1-0, 20 years ago at Springfield, d'oh! It was the last game we lost in our promotion-winning campaign and bizarrely, played them again 11 days later and got our own back, winning 2-0!
I'll be there tomorrow, should be a cracking atmosphere.
I'm going for 2-2, Sawyers and Bradshaw for our lot!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:07 pm

on bet 365 i am going for walsall win both teams to score. i think it will be 1-2 with grigg missing a penalty and etheridge getting motm :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 pm

I might be getting a bit overexcited but what the hell - 2-1 to the Super Saddlers with Sawyers and Bradshaw for us, in front of 8,362, including 507 Saddlers.

C'mon me babbies

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season