Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:24 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Good to see the worthwhile match reports coming in, we should give sallian his own match day thread. Cannot believe the pages I read from him and he doesn't even go to any games!

I think if you attended all the games and I attended just one....I would still give a far more accurate and valuable analysis than you for the season. Which would make me a £50millon spectator/commentator/tactician and you a struggling manager of a subbuteo team...instead of arranging them in a sensible effective formation.....you would be giving them a team talk :lol:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:38 pm

We were okay, second half a lot better than the first.

Morris looked so good on the ball today but had a very immature performance when doing things with it. Poor shooting, poor decision making but excellent dribbling and strength to get into those areas. He should of stayed on though as Cook was poor when he came on - we lost the zip in the team with Forde and Cook on.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:45 pm

sallian wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Great result, but Salian has a point - if anything will be our downfall this season it'll be the lack of goals again.

I said last week we needed to bring someone in who will score 5-8 between now and The new year. Otherwise we won't keep up with the top 1/2/3, and might drop out the top 6.

Look at our last few league games:

Peterborough 1-1 (should have won but didn't kill the game)
Crewe 1-1 (should have won but missed a hat full of chances)
Scunthorpe 1-0 (only a single goal again)
Wigan 0-0 (couldn't find a goal to nick the win)

Despite a strong goal scoring start to the season, we are reverting to our old ways.

We need to farm Baxendale out on loan as he brings nothing to the squad and bring in someone like Hiwula from the Premier league reserves, someone with pace and trickyness.

Come on Dean, be proactive, not reactive!!

I think Baxendale doesn't get much of a chance to show his stuff, often an unused sub or used for a few mins...and if you fail to make a big impact or make a mistake when you are so seldom used..then it falsely magnifies those mistakes... It is difficult for him to break through with so much priority given to the untouchable Sawyers who I think was only dropped once last season due to performance and even then the manager made a big public apology about it! But if Sawyers can't be removed ever then there are other places that are less rigid. Baxendale can bring life, openings and change of direction to stagnated and stalemated games...especially in tight situations, around the box is deadly like that but hardly ever used which is a real loss of opportunity.

Can't believe there's still people out there who think Bax has anything to offer...he's done f*ck all in 3 years!! Waste of a wage

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:46 pm

hullsaddler wrote:How on earth did that finish 0.0?

The only thing that can be said about the first half is that were were extremely lucky to go in level. Thankfully our defence ( O'Connor especially) stood firm. At that point I would happily have taken a point, but by the end it was disappointing not to take all three.
The second half could not have been more different from the first. They had a couple of gilt-edged opportunities (was one missed by Grigg?) but we were coming in to it more & more. After the sending off we completely dominated them, wave after wave of attacks but no goal at the end of it. Sawyers was increasingly influential. Having been impressed by Jordan Cook on Tuesday, a couple of his efforts late on were fairly woeful.
Could not understand why Rico didn't start after his performance on Tuesday.

Had a pint in the Wigan Central & had a nice chat with a couple of people but they presumably weren't Belgian Saddler or AM. Tried to work out who they might have been but could not see their name tags!

Good report, everything I would have said, I think however that that was two points dropped, we were so on top in the last 10 minutes we could, and should, have had a hatfull. Bradshaw battled manfully but those big defenders were just too much for him on occasions. Cooks attempts at goal were woefull, he couldn't strike a match! I also thought it was a mistake to put Morris on from the start, he had a dreadfull first half. Downing had some 'mare' moments, and Mantom didn't seem at all interested, at one stage in the second half he lost the ball and trotted back into our own half at a pace I could beat!
Sawyers ran them ragged in the second half, but should have had more shots instead of constantly passing sideways. I fear the old plague of failing to score often enough may come to haunt us as the season progresses.
O'Conner & Chambers were immense, don't think we need any more defenders end off. But, we DO need someone else who can hit the back of the net, some of our finishing was laughable.
A good point however, because Wigan will be there at the end of the season no doubt, two new signings were introduced in just one match! (if only eh!)
Sorry you missed us at the Central, we were both there, accompanied by 'otherbournemouthsaddler'
and 'Bang Section' we were all there from 1.00 till 2.30 'ish (we were stood up close to the bar)
Good luck with the marathon tomorrow Belg......................and, who was right about the time to get to the ground? :mrgreen:
That little Scunthorpe of a ball boy was lucky to get out of the stadium with his life (I noticed they bundled him to safety before the match finished)
On to the Burton game, could be tricky, don't think McG. is good enough.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Firstly, what great support we had there again today.

A game of two halves really, i thought Wigan were way better in the first half, Jacobs pulling the strings, and it was only until they had a payer sent off we got into the game. Etheridge made a great save at the start of the second half.

O Connor was immense. So was Bradshaw considering he had no support for 60 minutes.

Lalkovic was poor, and taking Morris off for Cook was an utterly baffling substitution.

It felt like two points dropped at the end i suppose, but if Wigan had any nouse about them they would have won the game first half. So ill accept the draw.

A solid point in the grand scheme.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Ill say it again, O Connor was immense.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Would have taken a point beforehand, but we probably should have nicked it.

Wigan were the better team in the first half, but didn't create a lot in the way of clear cut chances. We were our own worst enemy with some sloppy passing. What the hell is wrong with Downing on the ball this season?

Second half, I thought we were the better side even before the red card. Credit to Wigan's defence, thought they played well. They had a few monsters at the back.

All in all, a good game despite the score. O'connor the clear MOTM, he has been excellent for some time now.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Happy with the point, performance was meh.

Sending off actually helped as at that stage Wigan were getting on top and had a few scrambles around the 6 yard box so down to 10 and the attacks stopped.

We'd have all signed up for a point at Wigan in August but I think today showed why talk of top 2 (not top 6) is a bit fanciful.

If Bradshaw is well marked out of the game and Sawyers isn't quite onto it, what other threat is there? To be promoted you need more than one serious goalscorer.

Once Wigan went down to 10s I thought bringing on Rico Henry would be a logical move. Great pace and would've been full of confidence after scoring mid week. Bit bemused how he was an unused sub unless he was carrying an injury.

Also apologies to AM, I would've come looking at HT for some old codgers reminiscing about the first world war in a corner but mate I was with had their GF's cousin taking a penalty for that half time entertainment.

Yes it was the one that nearly hit the corner flag with his shot. :lol:

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Would have taken a point at half time, but was left annoyed at the end having played against 10 men for 25 minutes and their keeper never having to make a serious save.

Johnny Owen dead right about Morris, I thought Bradshaw shooting from a crazy angle side of te box was a poor decision also, hope Morris gets a run of games now.

Oconnor was my motm, never faultered even when our other defenders was passing the ball to the Wigan attack, these stupid mistakes need to e adress ex they are happening weekly.

Wish Rico was brought on to replace Taylor who was blowing out his stink piece by the end, we was dying for extra pace.

Mantom is not in great form at the minute and was positionally inept at times allowing power to much space to make In roads through the middle, Milan was frustrated and never got around his marker.

Really need to take another maximum points out of the next 2 home fixtures, everything is so close and I believe we need to get into the loan market to get another forward in!

What's happened to Osborne? Injured/unfit?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:58 pm

latviancheese wrote:Ill say it again, O Connor was immense.

He really was, superb reading and positioning for crosses.

I did think though he was maybe a little lucky just to get a yellow in the first half when he took out Jordy, was there much difference between that and the Morgan red?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:04 pm

Forgot to mention ... The highlight of the day has to be that little kid doing the "Everywhere that we go..." chant ... Bloody brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:28 pm

scott_powell wrote:Forgot to mention ... The highlight of the day has to be that little kid doing the "Everywhere that we go..." chant ... Bloody brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yes I heard that and everyone burst out laughing for 10 seconds.

The young are being taught well. :mrgreen:

SWS1

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Any away point is a good'un :D but it's slightly worrying :? that we seem to have entered a familiar phase where we (relatively speaking) batter teams, out-shoot them with more accuracy but fail to score or, at least, fail to score more than the opposition. :shock: But, let's be real, a point away against a moneybags team who were going to "walk this league" is good :D . well done, the lads. Another clean sheet so onwards and upwards. Let's just keep in those auto promo places as long as possible and see what happens. :D
UTS!
:D

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Did I catch a 'Where's Richard O'Donnell' chant early in the game haha?

He's looking very miserable on that Wigan bench in the Express & Dingle

SWS1

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:16 pm

sallian wrote:
Guest wrote:Et
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:goal drought again may be our barrier this season

Goal drought what the hell are you on about - again?

By the way have you been to any games this season? You're always on here and seem to dodge the question every time its asked?

Gillingham are scoring goals for fun (at home). Still only drew v Oldham.

I saw some of the Chelsea game on youtube, but couldn't be bothered to watch rest as unless live is not exciting, was annoyed I never knew could watch it live online...

Was going to attend the Southend game...but had a major plumbing incident

I used to attend matches all over the country and majority of home matches even though am miles away....

Maybe I have spent much more in supporting the club than you, who knows.... But there are now much more important issues that require money and time, so am not at all ashamed....by my major absence...it doesn't stop me having an interest and legitimate opinions....virtually all of my views concerning last season were proven true and eventually admitted by most on here who originally objected.

Oh, by the way, is this Salian thing real or a twisted atavar that has inexplicably come to life but only has half a brain, the other half being left in the swamp from which it emerged?
Just asking. :?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:20 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Did I catch a 'Where's Richard O'Donnell' chant early in the game haha?

He's looking very miserable on that Wigan bench in the Express & Dingle

Yes and when Grigg went off the even better chant of "you're sat with Richard O'Donnell" popped up.

Brilliant support today.

SWS1

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:45 pm

sallian wrote:Benning scores again for Mansfield...perhaps another player not give a fair crack at Walsall

I thought that - and said it a few threads ago. But I usually trust the management (only to be disappointed on occasion) :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 pm

A 'pretty desperate game', according to Channel 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBtwot5I700&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank goodness for 'Wigan's Kieron Morris'!

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:11 am

Jeff Bonser name your price and I will pay off Jordan Cook's contract, as long as dean smith says this kid is a striker I will believe him. That makes him the worst striker I seen down the bescot since Lee Bradbury. You can look how gutted you want to be at the final whilstle but if you'd have 2 cracks at winning the game and you fluff both don't expect me to find any favour with me.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 am

SWS1 wrote:
sallian wrote:Benning scores again for Mansfield...perhaps another player not give a fair crack at Walsall

I thought that - and said it a few threads ago. But I usually trust the management (only to be disappointed on occasion) :mrgreen:

He made 30-odd appearances, which I think is fair enough. And why would you keep both him and Henry when the latter is much better and three years younger?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:42 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
SWS1 wrote:

He made 30-odd appearances, which I think is fair enough. And why would you keep both him and Henry when the latter is much better and three years younger?

If he was knocking them in or starring for a higher placed club, then fair enough. Reality is that the vast majority of players released do not go on to better things. Difficult to think of a current/recent example of one that has.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:11 am

Good on Benning for doing well but he's only doing it because he's getting regular games (which he'd never get here) and is playing at a lower level. If he was still here now he'd never get near this team.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:23 am

I'll echo what most have put on here already, on the face of it it's probably two points dropped, but i'm sure we would have all taken a point before the game. Even at half time a point was pretty appealing. I wouldn't say Wigan battered us as I don't think Etheridge was tested at all in that first period. The defence was put under the cosh for long periods though, but under the stewardship of the outstanding O'Connor kept the door firmly shut. It wasn't as if we were without a threat either as we broke two or three times with real purpose.

After missing a couple of early chances, Wigan seemed to tire and we looked on top before the man was sent off, slightly harshly in my view as O'Connor was booked for a similar challenge in the first half. From then on we really should have won the game with the amount of pressure we had in and around their box. Again, their keeper wasn't really stretched either.

If anything, the sending off hampered us in weird way. They were always going to stick one up top and have everyone else camped behind the ball. In hindsight I think we should have gone to three at the back with the extra man shoved up top once they were down to ten. No need for four men to mark one player.

MOTM was easily O'Connor, a challenge in each half to deny certain goals were really of the highest quality. Anyone who doubts what he brings to our back line really needs their head looking at!

Four points from two games is excellent

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 am

Great day was in Wigan for 10 in the morning got home at midnight, good session was had.

No idea how that ended 0-0, just one of those games, a real shame we couldn't Nick it especially in the second half, we were all over them. They had chances too though to be fair.

Surprised by the abuse both ex saddlers got, but it was deserved in my eyes. Funny as fudge when grigg got subbed :lol: great backing overall today, better turn out too.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:59 am

Looking at it on the tv, that sending off was really harsh :lol:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:19 am

latviancheese wrote:Looking at it on the tv, that sending off was really harsh :lol:

No thinking time, look at the yellows he dished out in the first half too. I think he just wanted to get home.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:50 am

Gripper wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Looking at it on the tv, that sending off was really harsh :lol:

No thinking time, look at the yellows he dished out in the first half too. I think he just wanted to get home.

No consistency. If thats a red then O Connor should have been off really.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Have to add my agreement about that kid on his dads shoulders heading up the 'Where the hell are we from' rendition....classic. Methinks there's no doubt that lad will be a Saddler for the rest of his life!
The laughter and applause that followed was what they call a 'time to remember' that will forever last in the memory.
Sorry HQ if youm lookin for a little old geezer when lookin for me, yow'll be disappointed, but I did find a couple of grey hairs appear during some of Wigan's first half attacks/numerous corners! :?
Still cant get over that ball boy's antics, that WE should get a supporter sent off after that little runts actions left me soooo angry, and, I could have thought of somewhere unpleasant to have shoved that drum too! :lol: :lol:
Great turnout, well done all that were there, pity the lads couldn't have grabbed a goal in those frantic last 10 minutes or so, it was a miracle that we didn't score, pity most of the shots came from Cook our superstriker! :mrgreen:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:23 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Agreed, on the other hand the officials in the Chelsea game IMO were great, not sure whether they were from a higher level or not?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Gripper wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Agreed, on the other hand the officials in the Chelsea game IMO were great, not sure whether they were from a higher level or not?

Yes Lee Mason is a Premier League ref. A cack one too. He did well with us though.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season