Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Wigan Athletic (A) League One, 3 Oct, 3pm

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Great point away at a team fresh out of the Championship.

Well done to all the Saddlers that went, loud and proud throughout. 803 has been reported on this thread, 748 I think they said on the radio.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:58 pm

a point and clean sheet against a richer team at least, but we need to score plenty more if are to get promoted....the other teams with more resources are closing the gap now

when things aren't opening up Baxendale should be given 25 mins at least

Cook should have been on earlier too maybe as seeing as he put couple of shots through

It shows the need of winning the more winnable games....Peterboro, Crewe...

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Good result a point away against a team that should be up there come the end of the season. Bring on burton next week is another must win game! Although I am liking this average 2 points a game keep it up lads!

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:59 pm

leics_saddler wrote:It's nice to have Wigan back at their natural level :P
There's hardly any precedence since Springfield, but our record in the 80s was appalling.
We'll do well to get a 0-0 I think.
Our fans are in fine voice at the start though.

That's FOUR matches in a row I have predicted the score correctly.
No predictions for next week though - too important!

Well other than Sallian to ring his little bell and Grimes the footman to come from the scullery.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:02 pm

leics_saddler wrote:
There's hardly any precedence since Springfield, but our record in the 80s was appalling.

Well other than Sallian to ring his little bell and Grimes the footman to come from the scullery.

If Sallian is ringing a bell it will be on his sofa & not at the game it seems....

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:05 pm

leics_saddler wrote:

Barrow are wasting Grimes too by the looks of it, the most wasted player in the history of Walsall

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Et
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:goal drought again may be our barrier this season

Goal drought what the hell are you on about - again?

By the way have you been to any games this season? You're always on here and seem to dodge the question every time its asked?

Gillingham are scoring goals for fun (at home). Still only drew v Oldham.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:06 pm

sallian wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:

Barrow are wasting Grimes too by the looks of it, the most wasted player in the history of Walsall

You must be Baxendale's dad and Grimes must be your love child.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Benning scores again for Mansfield...perhaps another player not give a fair crack at Walsall

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:08 pm

sallian wrote:Benning scores again for Mansfield...perhaps another player not give a fair crack at Walsall

You must have adopted Benning.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Guest wrote:Et
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

By the way have you been to any games this season? You're always on here and seem to dodge the question every time its asked?

Don't start him off!!

Looking forward to reading the reports from those actually at the game....don't want to have to pick through his inane ramblings as per usual.

Sallian have you been to any games this season? :roll:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Very good point just a pity we could not take advantage of the extra man. The team needs to buck their ideas up when it comes to scoring goals as Bradshaw Sawyers and Henry cannot do it on their own, it really is our Achilles heal.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:16 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I saw some of the Chelsea game on youtube, but couldn't be bothered to watch rest as unless live is not exciting, was annoyed I never knew could watch it live online...

Was going to attend the Southend game...but had a major plumbing incident

I used to attend matches all over the country and majority of home matches even though am miles away....

Maybe I have spent much more in supporting the club than you, who knows.... But there are now much more important issues that require money and time, so am not at all ashamed....by my major absence...it doesn't stop me having an interest and legitimate opinions....virtually all of my views concerning last season were proven true and eventually admitted by most on here who originally objected.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:19 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
sallian wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:

You must be Baxendale's dad and Grimes must be your love child.

I don't do things like that... Your opinions on the ability of Baxendale tell me you are a clueless spectator who probably doesn't know how to kick a ball

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:27 pm

sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I saw some of the Chelsea game on youtube, but couldn't be bothered to watch rest as unless live is not exciting, was annoyed I never knew could watch it live online...

I used to attend matches all over the country and majority of home matches even though am miles away....

Maybe I have spent much more in supporting the club than you, who knows.... But there are now much more important issues that require money and time, so am not at all ashamed....by my major absence...it doesn't stop me having an interest and legitimate opinions....virtually all of my views concerning last season were proven true and eventually admitted by most on here who originally objected.

So why are we having to suffer your exhaustive comments on the current team and issues? Its like having an opinion on a Film but basing it on the reviews you have read in the paper!

You are entitled to an opinion but yours is more of an campaign!

We are second in the league, we could probably do with more goals if we are to stay there. Now lets just leave this section for those who were actually at the game to register their reports?
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:29 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Yes because in the majority of our matches we have only scored one or zero goals.....8 matches out of 15

And AGAIN because last season we suffered from a goal drought...one of lowest scoring seasons ever

A weakness in goalscoring admitted by all at the club...including players and manager....and proven by the table

Quite easy to understand if you are not an argumentative illiterate half brain....so if if you still don't understand it, then I wont blame you

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:33 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

And about films...lots of critics put out opinions on films they have not seen...based on reports and their general knowledge of the directors, subject, industry etc... and my advice is don't read any reports, reviews, comments nor view any trailers before watching a movie...it spoils it.

So why are we having to suffer your exhaustive comments on the current team and issues? Its like having an opinion on a Film but basing it on the reviews you have read in the paper!

We are second in the league, we could probably do with more goals if we are to stay there. Now lets just leave this section for those who were at the game to register their reports?

I'm unaware of any rule which says you need to have attended the match you are commenting on.....in which case you should also leave the board and many others who you happily smooch with on here.

In the real world of football many judgements are made by professionals who DID NOT see the match.... Judgements are made based on trends, results, statistics, records, reports etc.... Guess what...a scout goes out on behalf of a club to look at players...they are not all watching the player themselves.

And many film critics put out opinions about movies they didn't see based on reports and their knowledge of the director, actors, industry, subject etc... My advice is don't view any reports, reviews, comments or trailers before you watch a movie...it spoils it

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:44 pm

First half we were cack. They completely marked Sawyers out of the game and that messed us up big time.

2nd half Wigan started brightly but faded. As soon as the bloke was sent off it freed up Sawyers who could then do his thing. Last 20 I thought we battered them.

Ref was a joke. Ballboy was a complete Scunthorpe.

4 points from 2 away games is a great return! Very positive.

Oh and Grigg with that miss :lol: :lol: :lol: What a prick

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:57 pm

scott_powell wrote:4 points from 2 away games is a great return! Very positive.

Indeed. Two clean sheets as well. Cor be bad :D

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Heading back down the m6, will take the point shame didn't make them pay when down to ten men but overall reflection fair point. Can be top next week with a win never thought I would say that in October, good turnout today loud and proud uts

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:08 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Don't start him off!!

Looking forward to reading the reports from those actually at the game....don't want to have to pick through his inane ramblings as per usual.

Its not that long ago that people were asking you the very same question, but that was for home games.
Stones and glass houses spring to mind.
Daresay you will throw one with a bit of criticism coming your way, you normally do !

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:20 pm

sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

And about films...lots of critics put out opinions on films they have not seen...based on reports and their general knowledge of the directors, subject, industry etc... and my advice is don't read any reports, reviews, comments nor view any trailers before watching a movie...it spoils it.

Maybe I have spent much more in supporting the club than you, who knows.... But there are now much more important issues that require money and time, so am not at all ashamed....by my major absence...it doesn't stop me having an interest and legitimate opinions....virtually all of my views concerning last season were proven true and eventually admitted by most on here who originally objected.[/quote]

We are second in the league, we could probably do with more goals if we are to stay there. Now lets just leave this section for those who were at the game to register their reports?[/quote]

I'm unaware of any rule which says you need to have attended the match you are commenting on.....in which case you should also leave the board and many others who you happily smooch with on here.

In the real world of football many judgements are made by professionals who DID NOT see the match.... Judgements are made based on trends, results, statistics, records, reports etc.... Guess what...a scout goes out on behalf of a club to look at players...they are not all watching the player themselves.

And many film critics put out opinions about movies they didn't see based on reports and their knowledge of the director, actors, industry, subject etc... My advice is don't view any reports, reviews, comments or trailers before you watch a movie...it spoils it[/quote]

As you did not see any games - including reserve games, I presume - what made you so certain that Ashley Grimes was the answer last season? Your scouts? Film critics?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Though we deserved to win that. Pretty even in the first half, but by far the better team in the second.

Defence was fairly solid, O'Connor my man of the match, plenty of good tackles after his early booking. Midfield players were quiet, Wingers grew into the game, and Bradshaw worked hard but couldn't take his two clear chances.

Etheridge - solid, came to collect/punch the ball from crosses, got the ball forward early, nearly assisting for Bradshaw.
Demetriou - solid all game, went forward well too.
Downing - played fairly well, just had a dodgy pass or two.
O'Connor - excellent. Plenty of good tackles, and confident on the ball. MOTM for me. Had Grigg in his back pocket and didn't stop going in for tackles after being booked.
Taylor - not his best game, but wasn't bad.
Chambers - played okay, but him and Mantom had quiet games.
Mantom - quiet, but didn't have a bad game.
Morris - didn't do much in the first half, but was our best player going forward in the second half. Taking him off slowed us down and took the sting out of us. Would have kept him on slightly longer.
Sawyers - good with the ball, but it really bugs me when he does well chasing the ball then refuses to put a foot in to tackle. Did this 4 or 5 times today.
Lalkovic - played well. as with Morris, may have kept him on for 5 minutes longer after the red card.
Bradshaw - worked hard, and was always available for Sawyers/Morris/Lalkovic. Didn't take his best chance in the first half.

Forde - Looked better on the left before Cook came on.
Cook - Disappointing again, had a few shots but they all ended up in the stand. I'd have been inclined to play him up top with Bradshaw when he came on and left Morris on, or maybe have brought Rico on the wing instead.

Grigg - got a lot of stick, glad he didn't score, especially when he had two good chances within a few seconds at the far end.
Referee - crap. Booked our players for things Wigan players got away with. Got the red card right though.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:44 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Don't start him off!!

Its not that long ago that people were asking you the very same question, but that was for home games.
Stones and glass houses spring to mind.
Daresay you will throw one with a bit of criticism coming your way, you normally do !

They(you) asked, I answered - you then chose to ignore!

I'm not going to 'throw one' im just going to do what most on this board seem to do where your're concerned - ignore you.

You only post these days to have a go at me - your just a tiresome bully.

Good to see the worthwhile match reports coming in, we should give sallian his own match day thread. Cannot believe the pages I read from him and he doesn't even go to any games!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:54 pm

How on earth did that finish 0.0?

The only thing that can be said about the first half is that were were extremely lucky to go in level. Thankfully our defence ( O'Connor especially) stood firm. At that point I would happily have taken a point, but by the end it was disappointing not to take all three.
The second half could not have been more different from the first. They had a couple of gilt-edged opportunities (was one missed by Grigg?) but we were coming in to it more & more. After the sending off we completely dominated them, wave after wave of attacks but no goal at the end of it. Sawyers was increasingly influential. Having been impressed by Jordan Cook on Tuesday, a couple of his efforts late on were fairly woeful.
Could not understand why Rico didn't start after his performance on Tuesday.

Had a pint in the Wigan Central & had a nice chat with a couple of people but they presumably weren't Belgian Saddler or AM. Tried to work out who they might have been but could not see their name tags!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Great result, but Salian has a point - if anything will be our downfall this season it'll be the lack of goals again.

I said last week we needed to bring someone in who will score 5-8 between now and The new year. Otherwise we won't keep up with the top 1/2/3, and might drop out the top 6.

Look at our last few league games:

Peterborough 1-1 (should have won but didn't kill the game)
Crewe 1-1 (should have won but missed a hat full of chances)
Scunthorpe 1-0 (only a single goal again)
Wigan 0-0 (couldn't find a goal to nick the win)

Despite a strong goal scoring start to the season, we are reverting to our old ways.

We need to farm Baxendale out on loan as he brings nothing to the squad and bring in someone like Hiwula from the Premier league reserves, someone with pace and trickyness.

Come on Dean, be proactive, not reactive!!

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Farm out Baxendale? Sallian won't agree with that!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

We are second in the league, we could probably do with more goals if we are to stay there. Now lets just leave this section for those who were at the game to register their reports?[/quote]

And many film critics put out opinions about movies they didn't see based on reports and their knowledge of the director, actors, industry, subject etc... My advice is don't view any reports, reviews, comments or trailers before you watch a movie...it spoils it[/quote]

As you did not see any games - including reserve games, I presume - what made you so certain that Ashley Grimes was the answer last season? Your scouts? Film critics?[/quote]

I saw him play a few times and saw he was a player who had quality on the ball, he had a neat touch, good control and I also saw signs of the clinical finishing that Dean Smith declared before the season...its a shame Dean Smith didn't give him longer exposure in the right places...but maybe there were other issues I don't know about as it is odd he hasn't taken off at Barrow, unless it is just due to injury.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Great result, but Salian has a point - if anything will be our downfall this season it'll be the lack of goals again.

I said last week we needed to bring someone in who will score 5-8 between now and The new year. Otherwise we won't keep up with the top 1/2/3, and might drop out the top 6.

Look at our last few league games:

Peterborough 1-1 (should have won but didn't kill the game)
Crewe 1-1 (should have won but missed a hat full of chances)
Scunthorpe 1-0 (only a single goal again)
Wigan 0-0 (couldn't find a goal to nick the win)

Despite a strong goal scoring start to the season, we are reverting to our old ways.

We need to farm Baxendale out on loan as he brings nothing to the squad and bring in someone like Hiwula from the Premier league reserves, someone with pace and trickyness.

Come on Dean, be proactive, not reactive!!

I think Baxendale doesn't get much of a chance to show his stuff, often an unused sub or used for a few mins...and if you fail to make a big impact or make a mistake when you are so seldom used..then it falsely magnifies those mistakes... It is difficult for him to break through with so much priority given to the untouchable Sawyers who I think was only dropped once last season due to performance and even then the manager made a big public apology about it! But if Sawyers can't be removed ever then there are other places that are less rigid. Baxendale can bring life, openings and change of direction to stagnated and stalemated games...especially in tight situations, around the box is deadly like that but hardly ever used which is a real loss of opportunity.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Guest wrote:Farm out Baxendale? Sallian won't agree with that!

You are dead right... unless our aim is to take good players, waste them, neglect them...then send them off to someone else to benefit when we were in need

Or on the other hand neglect them so much they become stale, depressed, demotivated and end up with a dead-end time in football.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season