Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) League One, Tue Sep 29, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) League One, Tue Sep 29, 7.45pm

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 pm

scott_powell wrote:Our goal tonight is my favourite this season ... Absolute quality move.

It certainly was. Wish I'd gone now.

Link to the goal below. Credit to the account for uploading it. Cook did well to anticipate the run, did we play two up top?

https://twitter.com/ThomasMason12/statu ... 5505944577

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 pm

George Kerr on Radio Humberside on the way home described us as "poetry in motion". I think that was overstating things rather, but I thought that was a good solid performance We came under some pressure at times in the 2nd half but the defence stood firm & we didn't give away anything stupid. ... a Graydonesque one nil away win?
Excellent worked goal. It was a shame that Rico could not quite put the icing on the cake with a second at the end. Thought Jordan Cook had a pretty good game
Exactly the sort of result we need to get if we are going to stay there or thereabouts.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Great result onwards and upwards. :D
i know it's got nothing to do with this thread. but how can you have an avtar like that. and i can't even post a pic :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:03 pm

hullsaddler wrote:George Kerr on Radio Humberside on the way home described us as "poetry in motion". I think that was overstating things rather, but I thought that was a good solid performance We came under some pressure at times in the 2nd half but the defence stood firm & we didn't give away anything stupid. ... a Graydonesque one nil away win?
Excellent worked goal. It was a shame that Rico could not quite put the icing on the cake with a second at the end. Thought Jordan Cook had a pretty good game
Exactly the sort of result we need to get if we are going to stay there or thereabouts.
then cook should not be put under pressure by being portrayed as a striker? why not portray him as a playmaking forward :mrgreen:

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Good performance tonight, thought we could have scored 2 or 3. Another good defensive performance but felt a better team may have punished some of our mistakes. O'Connor was solid again but I don't feel so confident when Downing has the ball. Well taken goal by Rico with good vision from Cook, Rico really should have put away his second in the dying stages. I thought Cook had a good game, probably the best I've seen him play. Rico is a star in the making, he gets muscled off the ball to much but I'm sure he'll fill out a bit with age. My first time at Glanford Park which Is just a very grim northern Bescot, it would feel suicidal coming away from there without any points. Our away support was excellent yet again, always suprises me how loud we are in small numbers away from home. Scunny's support was non existent, but who could blame them for being quiet under current circumstances, they didn't sound a happy bunch on BBC Humberside after the game. Well deserved 3 points away, Up the Saddlers.
Last edited by Derbyshire Saddler on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Great win again and yet a "fan" comes on here and describes 2 of our players as "crap"!! What are these people on? We are second in the table ,unbeaten away from home yet we have "crap" players! I haven't seen any such players this year..we have some players who are better than others,of course we do but football is a team game.I have urged you all before to get behind our team. We are not great in number but we can still be great supporters.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Glanford Park was the graveyard of two up front last season (and rightly so) so it was pretty brave of Smith to pick this fixture to give it another bash. Did it work? The result says yes but this wasn't a game for the faint hearted because two up top doesn't give us the possession that allows us to dictate a game in our traditional manner. That meant Scunthorpe could get at us - particularly on the break when our wing backs were caught up field. So, the focus was much more on our defence tonight who coped pretty well with everything that was thrown at them. O'Connor is the classiest centre half we've had since Scott Dann and his awareness and positioning were first rate tonight.

Scunthorpe came out really fired up after half time (presumably Robins gave the sort of team talk that only managers fearing long days at home in front of Bargain Hunt can) but after weathering the storm Smith did exactly the right thing in switching to 4-4-1-1 to nullify them and Tom and Rico should have made the score line look far more comfortable in the last few minutes, with both missing gilt-edged chances. Thought Mantom really imposed himself second half - very mature performance.

1-0 away wins are the stuff that credible top 6 teams are made of. Now for that hair gel addled teenage bellend and his "100 point target".

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:13 pm

The Grimsby portacabin viewing went well by the way, I will be advising my company to buy, buy, buy :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:14 am

Just got back, there was like 40 miles of roadworks and 50 zones...

Great defensive performance, even if when crosses went in it was a little bit of squeaky bum time. Felt Cook had a very good game, played up top with Tom but also was the deeper of the two meaning it fit his style a touch more than being an out and out get in behind type forward that I don't think he is. His playstyle almost reminds me of Craig Westcarr, not really an out and out striker but not an out and out "number 10" either - just somewhere in the middle.

Got asked to do the quiz, they ended up with no-one doing it and thank fudge cause that was boring to listen to. Doot he cud mek ot wat i wuz sayin thru me thik blak contray tones anyways.

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 am

PT
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:19 am

Well done to those that went and thanks for the first hand views.

A good thing about this board is regardless of where we play we get at least four or five first hand views. Special shout to Johnny Owen who appears to go everywhere. I scoured Chelsea boards last week after our game and whilst their match threads stretched to 20 or 30 pages I couldn't find a single post from someone who was actually there.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:31 am

Derbyshire Saddler wrote:The Grimsby portacabin viewing went well by the way, I will be advising my company to buy, buy, buy :D

Went to the Fishing Museum about 25 years ago & apart from visits to Blundell Park (Cleethorpes) haven't been since. Now the Humber Bridge toll is down to £1.50 perhaps I should give these portacabins a chance.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:08 am

chunkster wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Great result onwards and upwards. :D
i know it's got nothing to do with this thread. but how can you have an avtar like that. and i can't even post a pic :lol:

Because I have a 13 year old son.I wouldn't have a scooby. :oops:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:19 am

Walsallone wrote:Great win again and yet a "fan" comes on here and describes 2 of our players as "crap"!! What are these people on? We are second in the table ,unbeaten away from home yet we have "crap" players! I haven't seen any such players this year..we have some players who are better than others,of course we do but football is a team game.I have urged you all before to get behind our team. We are not great in number but we can still be great supporters.

That would be me.I'll add a third Downing.All need replacing with better players,of course there are better players and worse players in any team,in my opinion these are our worse.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:13 am

There's not a 'crap' player in the squad now - just some who are better than others.

Cook would have been the nearest to it for me, but it sounds like he played well last night. I have never really rated him but good on him and hopefully it is the start of some good form. Hope he proves me wrong big time.

Cracking away point, quality goal and onwards to Wigan.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:18 am

Yes it was you. All I will add if these players are so bad the others must be fantastic for us to be second in the league. Every team can be strengthened but so far I have not seen a player who isn't doing his best for the team. Your criticism of Flanagan is way over the top...here we have a young player (which this club has developed) who is making his way in the game. Whether he finally makes it at this level none of us know but he deserves a fair chance . You remind me a bit of AM who has written off Kinsella because of one bad throw in!!!!!!

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:26 am

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:14 am

leics_saddler wrote:I've had quite enough of the law of irony that successfully predicted the defeat by Bury and the 1-1 thrashing of Crewe.

We need more of the spirit of Graydon. Two late goals v Doncaster a fortnight ago. Brett Angell at Rotherham (have that Bobbins).
Let's have a belief that we are sound footballing team and we can always create and finish a goal.
Let's have a 1-0 victory and a Sallian Wasn't Right t-shirt.

I really ought to start putting some money on these.
(I've no idea what will happen at Wigan though - unknown territory!)

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:27 am

A very good result against a struggling side, who nevertheless have some decent players and will probably end up in mid-table when it clicks for them.

It was interesting to see a variation on the 3-5-1-1, with Cook certainly seeming to play higher up the field than Sawyers does, which meant we didn't control the game in the middle of the park as we usually do but our counter-attacks had more substance than usual, which was pleasing.

Etheridge: Still unsure, but got to give him time to adapt and remember that he hasn't played an awful lot of first-team football- that dive in the second half was a bit strange aswell. But another clean sheet, which should give him confidence. 6

Demetriou: Very impressive performance once again, we have a real genuine threat down the right-wing with him in the team and very solid at the back. 7

O'Connor: Quickly turning into one of the most competent centre-halfs we have had for a long while. Hardly puts a foot wrong, and always seems to be in the right place at the right time for crosses coming into the box. 8 (MoM)

Downing: Quietly assured, a couple of rash moments but generally solid and won some important headers from the barrage of Scunthorpe crosses in the second half. 7

Taylor: Struggled a bit with the pace of Lolley in the first half, and Adelakun when he came on in the second, but generally solid and has adapted well to his new centre-half role in the 3-5-2. 6.5

Henry: Excellent again, the perfect fit for 3-5-2 as he doesn't have the total defensive responsibility that a LB does, and it means he can use his pace to devastating effect like he did for the goal. Could and probably should have had another in the last minute with another surge into the box, but just slid his shot wide. 8

Chambers: After a quiet season last year, I think Chambers has been probably one of our most improved players. Offers a calming influence in the middle of the park, and seems to have perfected the backtracking slide tackle! 7

Mantom: Relatively quiet game, but kept things ticking over nicely and came more into the game as Scunthorpe became more stretched towards the finish. 6.5

Sawyers: Operated a little deeper than usual, and in-turn didn't have the impact he has been having in the last few games, however it probably shows his growing maturity this season as he rarely gave the ball away, was really sensible in possession and added to our counter-attacks with some quick distribution. 7

Cook: Probably one of his best performances for us, a nice assist for the goal and hit the side-netting with a good turn and shot just before the goal. Put a real shift in for the team aswell. 7

Bradshaw: Not really Tom's night tonight, huffed and puffed and showed some really classy link up play with Sawyers and others, including the chest down for the goal. Great work in the box to fashion a chance on his left foot towards the end, but just fired over. Work-rate second to none. 7

Subs: Flanagan (For Cook): Showed some very neat touches in the middle of the park and looked assured in possession.

Travelling support was excellent, not great in numbers but good noise throughout. Looking forward to Wigan now, and almost a free-hit. 4 points from these two away games would be an excellent return.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:47 am

Walsallone wrote:Yes it was you. All I will add if these players are so bad the others must be fantastic for us to be second in the league. Every team can be strengthened but so far I have not seen a player who isn't doing his best for the team. Your criticism of Flanagan is way over the top...here we have a young player (which this club has developed) who is making his way in the game. Whether he finally makes it at this level none of us know but he deserves a fair chance . You remind me a bit of AM who has written off Kinsella because of one bad throw in!!!!!!

Funny how he has not appeared anywhere near the first team squad since eh?
I was there and I did notice Deans face 12 seconds after THE throw in....a goal to the opposition.

Great night incidentally, not since 2012 (it would appear! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) have we come away from Glandford Park with a 1-0 win! We certainly DO look like being there or thereabouts come May!
Well done the lads, can't wait till Saturday.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:50 am

I was tempted to ask MMF for a lift from Leicester yesterday, but then remembered the miles and miles of roadworks on the M1 and that put me off tbh.

Cracking result, just got to get our heads down now and keep getting results.

We've got to look at this season now as a real chance of doing something, there's no big teams, and no one is looking like they'll emerge as runaway leaders - Sheff Utd are doing their usual thing, Gillingham and Burton are surprises, Peterborough are failing.

Coventry for me, under Mowbray are probably the ones to watch out for, decent budget and a good manager and all that.

We've just got to keep on winning. And it's a real shame that we dropped 4 points against Crewe and P'boro - I went to both games, and we should have come away with 6 points, not 2, and if so, we'd be top of the league by 3 points.

Based on all that, a loan striker really is a must - someone who will chip in with 5-8 goals between now and Christmas should see us right in the mix, if not top of the pile. Without that player who can take pressure off Bradshaw, it's hard to see where those goals will come from.

And on top of all this, we've got Osbourne to come in.

Also interesting to note that we've got the best goal difference in the league, which is amazing considering our profligacy in front of goal, only Gillingham match us and they scored 5 last night (didnt they?).

This season is a massive chance, lets take it.

SWS1

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:44 am

Life's good as a Saddler at the moment. Long may it continue. :D
Last season, I thought we were going to start planting the leather in the onion bag regularly - it was just a case of when - but it never quite happened. It happened at the start of this season and, although it's slowed a bit recently, dogged (or skilful) displays have given us a just reward on most occasions. I'm with those who believe that we have actually been a trifle unlucky so far and that we could easily be top by a few. Undoubtedly one of the most skilful and committed squads we've had for some time (thanks, Deano); this really is a huge opportunity this season. Most of the teams doing well this season are surprise packages - ourselves, Burton, Gillingham, Bury, Rochdale - and, in my view, that's good for the league - it's which ones will be able to sustain a great start. By the way, can anyone confirm which of the aforementioned "surprise packages" actually have a sugar daddy funding them? Just interested (and you can leave us out of that one! :mrgreen: )

SWS1

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:56 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Yes it was you. All I will add if these players are so bad the others must be fantastic for us to be second in the league. Every team can be strengthened but so far I have not seen a player who isn't doing his best for the team. Your criticism of Flanagan is way over the top...here we have a young player (which this club has developed) who is making his way in the game. Whether he finally makes it at this level none of us know but he deserves a fair chance . You remind me a bit of AM who has written off Kinsella because of one bad throw in!!!!!!

Funny how he has not appeared anywhere near the first team squad since eh?
I was there and I did notice Deans face 12 seconds after THE throw in....a goal to the opposition.

Great night incidentally, not since 2012 (it would appear! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) have we come away from Glandford Park with a 1-0 win! We certainly DO look like being there or thereabouts come May!
Well done the lads, can't wait till Saturday.

I do hope Kinsella has not become persona non grata in the first team squad since his "boob" as I believe he is another great prospect.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:08 pm

For all those doubting whether we had a plan B, last night we had a plan B, C, D and E should Plan A have failed to work, except it clearly did.

Plan B - bring a wide player on
Plan C - bring a wide player on
Plan D - bring a wide player on
Plan E - bring a wide player on

Long may it continue. Still too early to be saying that lower than sixth is a failure though - IMO

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:49 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I was tempted to ask MMF for a lift from Leicester yesterday, but then remembered the miles and miles of roadworks on the M1 and that put me off tbh.

Cracking result, just got to get our heads down now and keep getting results.

We've got to look at this season now as a real chance of doing something, there's no big teams, and no one is looking like they'll emerge as runaway leaders - Sheff Utd are doing their usual thing, Gillingham and Burton are surprises, Peterborough are failing.

Coventry for me, under Mowbray are probably the ones to watch out for, decent budget and a good manager and all that.

We've just got to keep on winning. And it's a real shame that we dropped 4 points against Crewe and P'boro - I went to both games, and we should have come away with 6 points, not 2, and if so, we'd be top of the league by 3 points.

Based on all that, a loan striker really is a must - someone who will chip in with 5-8 goals between now and Christmas should see us right in the mix, if not top of the pile. Without that player who can take pressure off Bradshaw, it's hard to see where those goals will come from.

And on top of all this, we've got Osbourne to come in.

Also interesting to note that we've got the best goal difference in the league, which is amazing considering our profligacy in front of goal, only Gillingham match us and they scored 5 last night (didnt they?).

This season is a massive chance, lets take it.

Top post, that - a fair assessment too.

I think Bury also look strong and still think Wigan have the quality to stick around towards the top of the league. The 'bigger' (using the term very loosely) clubs of previous years have tended to have an absolutely woeful start which has ended up costing them, but Wigan's has been slightly better. Hardly taking the league by storm, but solid enough.

The key, like you say, is making sure there's no complacency now. Let's not forget, we're a much more appealing prospect to a player looking to get some game time on loan than the likes of Shrewsbury, Vale, Crewe and co. We need to use that to strengthen if we can, rather than wait until the form starts to dip a little. Osbourne should prove to be a decent enough acquisition and if we can follow that formula with a centre half and a striker (who will be very tough to recruit), we should have half a chance.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:41 pm

nottmsaddler wrote:Plan B - bring a wide player on
Plan C - bring a wide player on
Plan D - bring a wide player on
Plan E - bring a wide player on

:D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Just got back, there was like 40 miles of roadworks.

I appreciate that most people under 30 have difficulty communicating verbally without using the word "like" in every sentence, but hadn't realised it is now creeping into the written language :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I was tempted to ask MMF for a lift from Leicester yesterday, but then remembered the miles and miles of roadworks on the M1

You'd have been disappointed. Never go that way, I don't know why anyone does unless they live in Brum. A38 every time. Hardly any road works and no traffic.

Both journeys were only 1 hour 45 minutes, and worth every second. Not sure which way you went Johnny.

Credit where credit is due, Cook was excellent, along with all of the team.

Some of the fans aren't with their sarcastic, embarrassing songs about Etheridge.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Just got back, there was like 40 miles of roadworks.

I appreciate that most people under 30 have difficulty communicating verbally without using the word "like" in every sentence, but hadn't realised it is now creeping into the written language :wink:

Like OH MAI GAWD, you're just like, old - stop, like, making fun of me!

:lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm

It's loike around these parts isn't it? :wink:

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season