Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (H) League One 26th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
otiswfc
UTS Legend

Re: Crewe Alexandra (H) League One 26th Sept, 3pm

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Why can't we just sign a bloody striker grrrr

We've got 5 Bradshaw, Sawyers, Cook, Bakayoko and Murphy the problem is only one scores on a regular basis.
I think today Morris should have come on earlier for Mantom who had a poor game.
He would have posed more of a goal threat Lalkovic also needs to make his mind up what he actually is or Smith does one or the other he did that many step overs today I thought I was watching Chris Marsh on speed.
4 point's in the next 2 away game's will make today's point not seem to bad.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Well that was really frustrating...the gap in class was almost as great as on Wednesday! Our failure to win was down to a mixture of things ...bad luck,missing chances,and Crewe's 11 man defence and I mean 11.
On the positive side if we continue to play like that we will be in the mix at the end of the season. Up the Saddlers!

Ma'at

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well that was really frustrating...the gap in class was almost as great as on Wednesday! Our failure to win was down to a mixture of things ...bad luck,missing chances,and Crewe's 11 man defence and I mean 11.
On the positive side if we continue to play like that we will be in the mix at the end of the season. Up the Saddlers!

Agree with this... we were as almost as superior to Crewe as Chelsea were to us. Difference is the that we couldn't make as many chances or take those we created. Probably because we have a few hundred million pounds less talent in our squad

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:07 pm

I thought we were excellent today in the main. We'll play much worse than that and win between now and the end of the season. The result was frustrating, but when you create chances like the ones Forde and Bradshaw had and don't score, I think you've got to put it down to just having a bad day at the office.

If I'm being picky, the only thing I do question is why, despite Mantom's goal scoring start to the season, Chambers is the one making those late runs into the opposition penalty area while Mantom sits in front of the back four? I'm not sure how deliberate that plan is, but it plays to neither player's strengths.

Sawyers' man of the match award was deserved, if only because it was criminal that he wasn't named man of the match on Wednesday night. Demetriou and Forde were contenders too today.

I get what people are saying about us needing to sign a striker, but MMF's hit the nail on the head over on the transfer rumours thread. Every manager in the country knows that Tom Bradshaw's the first name on our team sheet and that we play one up front. With that in mind, why would they loan us one of their own strikers for them to spend most of their time on the bench? We didn't need another striker today anyway - we just needed Forde or Bradshaw to bury one of their chances from inside the six yard box.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:14 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I thought we were excellent today in the main. We'll play much worse than that and win between now and the end of the season. The result was frustrating, but when you create chances like the ones Forde and Bradshaw had and don't score, I think you've got to put it down to just having a bad day at the office.

If I'm being picky, the only thing I do question is why, despite Mantom's goal scoring start to the season, Chambers is the one making those late runs into the opposition penalty area while Mantom sits in front of the back four? I'm not sure how deliberate that plan is, but it plays to neither player's strengths.

Sawyers' man of the match award was deserved, if only because it was criminal that he wasn't named man of the match on Wednesday night. Demetriou and Forde were contenders too today.

I get what people are saying about us needing to sign a striker, but MMF's hit the nail on the head over on the transfer rumours thread. Every manager in the country knows that Tom Bradshaw's the first name on our team sheet and that we play one up front. With that in mind, why would they loan us one of their own strikers for them to spend most of their time on the bench? We didn't need another striker today anyway - we just needed Forde or Bradshaw to bury one of their chances from inside the six yard box.

Complete agreement with the above. Should have won by tons today

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:31 pm

boringteacher wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:I thought we were excellent today in the main. We'll play much worse than that and win between now and the end of the season. The result was frustrating, but when you create chances like the ones Forde and Bradshaw had and don't score, I think you've got to put it down to just having a bad day at the office.

Defo agree we should have buried our chances, we was head and shoulders above Crewe, but to say we don't need a striker is naive. Bradshaw won't be fit all season he will get knocks like ever player does, cook/murphy/bakayoko are simply not good enough, but I'd gladly eat humble pie if they proved me wrong. I'm sure it's easier said than done though bringing someone with thee quality of hiwula again

SWS1

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:12 pm

How bloo-dy frustrating is that? For the umpteenth time this season we are head and shoulders (well, at least head) above/better than the opposition and we don't win.
What the Donald is going on? We just need to turn our superiority into a couple of goals - that's all we've needed THREE TIMES this season - a couple of goals - and we'd be out of sight. DS keeps saying he's frustrated with the performance e OR the result. Well, so-d the performances, let's have the firkin results!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Burton-bloody-Albion 3 points clear of us at the top - the world is clearly going mad. And so am I :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mind you, it must have been a lot worse for you lot who were actually there. Respect. :D Sympathy. :(

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:16 pm

how many times are we going to say "we should have won that" really??? :( , we only have one proven striker. we have a better defender in the reserves that we don't use??? we have a striker on the bench that doesn't score??? ffs

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Frustrating.

Having gone a goal up the whole place became shrouded in complacency. On the pitch in particular, the complacency was close to dis-respect in that there seemed to be an expectation that Crewe would stand aside and applaud our play. It doesn't work like that. For the second week running we concede a comedy goal and for the second week running we clutch a draw from the teeth of victory.

The goals we have conceded this season have been farcical. Today's fitted the bill perfectly.

Having gifted them an equaliser we came out really well in the second half and could/should have won comfortably but that record is beyond broken when it comes to Walsall over the last few seasons.

I thought Forde and O'Conner played well. I thought Taylor and Mantom were absolutely shocking and was very surprised we didn't see Flanagan and Henry brought on to replace them. Taylor must have taken 50 free kicks from the edge of the box over the years. Scored one at Colchester but the majority of the rest have been awful. Do we practice?

We're second which is nice but having won just one in the last six and the league closing in behind us, you fear we're on the cusp of a slide. Let's hope we get our scoring boots on on Tuesday and knock the benevolence in possession/from our throw-ins/from our corners and all the other ways we contrive to concede on the head.

SWS1

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 pm

As usual, I can see us doing better against the so-called big boys than the Crewes of this division. At least I hope that's the case. I wonder how the players are feeling about battering the opposition on several occasions and getting nowt or just half a loaf out of it? I'd be really pissedoff. I AM really pissed.off.
Now England have gone and done a Walsall: aced the stats and lost.
Booger me.
Whole bottle of wine gone. :(

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:
boringteacher wrote:

Defo agree we should have buried our chances, we was head and shoulders above Crewe, but to say we don't need a striker is naive. Bradshaw won't be fit all season he will get knocks like ever player does, cook/murphy/bakayoko are simply not good enough, but I'd gladly eat humble pie if they proved me wrong. I'm sure it's easier said than done though bringing someone with thee quality of hiwula again

I'd love a second striker, and agree that Cook will never be a productive striker (thought he did well v Chelski though). The point that can we justify the dosh on a bench warmer (and whether a prem/champ team would want one of their brats to do this) needs to be thought about. The concern on Murphy/Bakayoko seems to be do they even justify a place on the bench? :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:51 pm

PT wrote:Having gone a goal up the whole place became shrouded in complacency. On the pitch in particular, the complacency was close to dis-respect in that there seemed to be an expectation that Crewe would stand aside and applaud our play. It doesn't work like that. For the second week running we concede a comedy goal and for the second week running we clutch a draw from the teeth of victory.

I'm just as frustrated, but I'm not sure there's much in those suggestions of complacency. For me, we attacked with purpose, had them on the back foot for long periods, and created good chances. It wasn't like we did what we saw a lot of last season and played all our pretty, powderpuff football in front of them without causing any problems. On another day, we'd have scored three or four.

You're right that their goal was bordering on comical - it was schoolboy defending. Let's not forget though, that was one of just two decent chances for Crewe in 90 minutes.

I might well be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced we're on the cusp of a drastic slide down the table just yet.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 pm

A couple of requests to Deano :
1. Please tell Downing not to get involved in any forward movement of the ball. His distribution is shocking - today, he played an appalling pass on the halfway line, committed a stupid foul in attempting to retrieve his error, conceding the needless free-kick which resulted in Crewe's goal.
2. As mentioned elsewhere, keep Chambers away from the opponents penalty area. He has many qualities, but absolutely zero positive attacking "vision".

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
PT wrote:Having gone a goal up the whole place became shrouded in complacency. On the pitch in particular, the complacency was close to dis-respect in that there seemed to be an expectation that Crewe would stand aside and applaud our play. It doesn't work like that. For the second week running we concede a comedy goal and for the second week running we clutch a draw from the teeth of victory.

I'm just as frustrated, but I'm not sure there's much in those suggestions of complacency. For me, we attacked with purpose, had them on the back foot for long periods, and created good chances. It wasn't like we did what we saw a lot of last season and played all our pretty, powderpuff football in front of them without causing any problems. On another day, we'd have scored three or four.

You're right that their goal was bordering on comical - it was schoolboy defending. Let's not forget though, that was one of just two decent chances for Crewe in 90 minutes.

I might well be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced we're on the cusp of a drastic slide down the table just yet.

I agree with you in the second half but I thought after we scored we became more and more sloppy up to half time. Just really really careless in possession. Milan was like a Chris Marsh tribute act at times with the multiple step-overs. We were being over elaborate which firstly cost us the goal and nearly lead to us going behind just on half time when we were dummying, feinting, stepping over and they just broke on us and couldn't quite get the shot away.

Second half was loads better but I think we only really stretched their keeper the once and bad finishing isn't unlucky and neither is it due to a mystical force field. It's just bad finishing.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

PT wrote:Second half was loads better but I think we only really stretched their keeper the once and bad finishing isn't unlucky and neither is it due to a mystical force field. It's just bad finishing.

It is, but when two of those bad finishes were from a guy who's scored 25 goals for us from similar positions, I think those of us pointing towards bad luck are justified.

Aside from the obvious 'sticking the ball in the onion bag', I don't really think today's performance lacked much.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

SWS1 wrote:As usual, I can see us doing better against the so-called big boys than the Crewes of this division. At least I hope that's the case. I wonder how the players are feeling about battering the opposition on several occasions and getting nowt or just half a loaf out of it? I'd be really pissedoff. I AM really pissed.off.
Now England have gone and done a Walsall: aced the stats and lost.
Booger me.
Whole bottle of wine gone. :(
i to watched that and thought i was at bescot :(

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:47 pm

PT wrote:Frustrating.

Having gone a goal up the whole place became shrouded in complacency. On the pitch in particular, the complacency was close to dis-respect in that there seemed to be an expectation that Crewe would stand aside and applaud our play. It doesn't work like that. For the second week running we concede a comedy goal and for the second week running we clutch a draw from the teeth of victory.

The goals we have conceded this season have been farcical. Today's fitted the bill perfectly.

Having gifted them an equaliser we came out really well in the second half and could/should have won comfortably but that record is beyond broken when it comes to Walsall over the last few seasons.

I thought Forde and O'Conner played well. I thought Taylor and Mantom were absolutely shocking and was very surprised we didn't see Flanagan and Henry brought on to replace them. Taylor must have taken 50 free kicks from the edge of the box over the years. Scored one at Colchester but the majority of the rest have been awful. Do we practice?

We're second which is nice but having won just one in the last six and the league closing in behind us, you fear we're on the cusp of a slide. Let's hope we get our scoring boots on on Tuesday and knock the benevolence in possession/from our throw-ins/from our corners and all the other ways we contrive to concede on the head.

I agree with much of this.

The complacency, or arguably cockiness, was best summed up on the occasion when we were leading 1-0, Downing brought the ball out of defence, proceeded forward as Crewe retreated and then made a short forward pass to someone (can't remember who) and then continued forward past the man looking for a return pass, recklessly leaving the defence exposed behind him.
I don't think anything came of that, but it was mindless and unnecessarily risky, which suggested to me that he thought it was easy and that Crewe were there for the taking.

There were some glorious cross field passes today by a number of the players, including Downing until he tried it too often, especially in the first half when Lalkovic found oceans of space, but sadly we were not clinical enough to make use of the space and certainly not ruthless enough in taking chances to deliver the desired result.

Mantom was relatively poor again and him playing deeper than Chambers makes little sense.

Morris again showed that he should start at home, or at least be given more than 15 minutes, or whatever he had today, as he is looking to be positive at all times and shoots more than most.

Wouldn't have taken Lalkovic off either, as he far more effective than Cook.

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:24 am

Bristol Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:06 am

Totally frustrating result from what was a good performance. I thought we played very well & as the game went on, it became clear it was just one of those days!

We'd all like a second striker, but who are you gonna drop to play him?

We've only beaten Crewe 1 in 11 & considering how poor they are recently that's a telling statistic!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:16 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
PT wrote:Second half was loads better but I think we only really stretched their keeper the once and bad finishing isn't unlucky and neither is it due to a mystical force field. It's just bad finishing.

It is, but when two of those bad finishes were from a guy who's scored 25 goals for us from similar positions, I think those of us pointing towards bad luck are justified.

Aside from the obvious 'sticking the ball in the onion bag', I don't really think today's performance lacked much.

You're right and to be fair I'm more annoyed by the goal we conceded rather than the fact we didn't get a second. That annoyance is compounded by the way we conceded at Posh (less annoying were the two against Chelsea that were out of the same stable). At some point we will face sides who are good enough to create their own goals.

This year presents a fantastic opportunity. The league is poorer and we have some real talent at this level. In the three times I've seen us promoted from this league, sloppy goals against were a very rare occurance whereas at the moment they are weekly. We played a different style back then and the game is different, but I'm not convinced by the wisdom that seems to suggest that your centre-halves should orchestrate the play when we're in possession. Paul Downing isnt Andrea Pirlo and it is a bit unfair to expect him to play like him.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:21 am

I understand the calls for another striker and part of me agrees in part as an option different to what Bradshaw offers would give us another dimension to our play.

However for me we need another centre half or to put some faith in Preston to replace Downing. Poor distribution and a cheap free kick on his part lead to there goal today. Not the first time this season either.

We also need to get Osborne fit as well. Ever since his nomination for player of the month, Mantom hasn't been the same. I'm left wondering whether the busy schedule that we have during the first couple of months is catching up with him having been out the majority of last season?

Agree about Morris being brought on earlier. I thought Forde had a decent game so would have replaced Lalkovic earlier. I'm not convinced he has an end product in him. Great at getting into good positions and is obviously quick, but rarely hits the target or delivers a telling final ball.

Final thought, I completely agree about Andy Taylor and free kicks. We should change the words of that song to....

Andy, oh Andy Taylor, please stop taking free kicks! �

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:18 am

Without wanting to repeat myself, Downing is the weak link and cost us again with his fannying around. If anyone is querying why we are being linked to Man City's Plummer then they are watching different games to me.

Yes back up for Bradshaw is required, but we've only failed to score in one game. Keep clean sheets and we'd be walking this league.

I've seen criticism of Etheridge. Yes, he's been patchy but will improve with experience. Downing has shown no signs of improvement in the last couple of years and 's involved is so many mistakes leading to goals including today.

If no one is going to come in on loan then Preston MUST play. We need defenders who can defend and can play a short pass to the full backs or midfielders, not a weak centre half who's positional sense is woeful and gifts possession away. 40 yard passes are pretty, but pointless if you can't get the basics right.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:01 am

As others have said, infuriating in the extreme. Just like Peterborough, felt like a defeat.

Forde and Chambers were guilty of missing the two best chances we had.

Mantom had a poor game, not sure why Dean started with both of them in deep positions against a poor side at home, when both had played 90 minutes in mid week.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:41 am

Harsh to pick those two out for missing chances Phil. Bearing in mind he's the 20 goals a season man. Bradshaw has the best chance in comparison, right at the death, and missed the target.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:43 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Without wanting to repeat myself, Downing is the weak link and cost us again with his fannying around. If anyone is querying why we are being linked to Man City's Plummer then they are watching different games to me.

Yes back up for Bradshaw is required, but we've only failed to score in one game. Keep clean sheets and we'd be walking this league.

I've seen criticism of Etheridge. Yes, he's been patchy but will improve with experience. Downing has shown no signs of improvement in the last couple of years and 's involved is so many mistakes leading to goals including today.

If no one is going to come in on loan then Preston MUST play. We need defenders who can defend and can play a short pass to the full backs or midfielders, not a weak centre half who's positional sense is woeful and gifts possession away. 40 yard passes are pretty, but pointless if you can't get the basics right.

If Bradshaw does get injured for a period of time then that will change, just like you with Downing I don't want to harp on but Cook is absolute gash and with him being our only serious back up then I do worry.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:44 pm

For years people have been crying out for us to have solid striker who will score 15-20 goals.

Now we have one people think we should have two. Daft. The fact is the rest of the tea need to chip in, especially now Bradshaw has two centre backs marking him alone every week.

Its not a bad result, a frustrating one, but its another point on the board and we still have momentum. We didnt really deserve to beat Doncaster the other week so it evens itself out eventually.

It also appears that Isiah Osbourne is the black Geordie Lyall.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:40 pm

latviancheese wrote:For years people have been crying out for us to have solid striker who will score 15-20 goals.

Now we have one people think we should have two. Daft. The fact is the rest of the tea need to chip in, especially now Bradshaw has two centre backs marking him alone every week.

Its not a bad result, a frustrating one, but its another point on the board and we still have momentum. We didnt really deserve to beat Doncaster the other week so it evens itself out eventually.

It also appears that Isiah Osbourne is the black Geordie Lyall.

So please explain what happens if/when Bradshaw gets injured?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:55 pm

That's half how it works in the lower leagues, you do have to rely on certain players, succesful season due to no injuries etc. We haven't the luxury to sign a striker just in case something happens. If Tom does pick up a decent knock we will have to solve it then.

A CB is more important anyway at the moment cos we are finding the net, either sign one or try out no-nonsense Matt Preston, the lad looked class vs Brighton in the cup, proper boster.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Darth Vader wrote:That's half how it works in the lower leagues, you do have to rely on certain players, succesful season due to no injuries etc. We haven't the luxury to sign a striker just in case something happens. If Tom does pick up a decent knock we will have to solve it then.

A CB is more important anyway at the moment cos we are finding the net, either sign one or try out no-nonsense Matt Preston, the lad looked class vs Brighton in the cup, proper boster.

Its not just incase Bradshaw gets injured it's if we are losing or like yesterday trying to get the win. Cook was put on to try and get the winner or do something different and as per usual did nothing while Sawyers was shoved out wide to accommodate him.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:52 pm

I'm not having this debate, we could still be playing now and we wouldn't be winning....because it's fudge Crewe at home. :lol:

Though I do agree about Cook, and would welcome a loan to ovetake him cos overall he's utter crap. Deserves to be on the bench maximum with his performances.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season