Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (H) League One 26th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SWS1

Re: Crewe Alexandra (H) League One 26th Sept, 3pm

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm so frustrated I'm off to have a glass of wine and cry.
:evil:

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:18 pm

Oh, hello Sallian.

Not sure we've played Gillingham yet but you're right, we should have beaten them.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:18 pm

How we didn't win that I'll never know.

Bit speechless really.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:23 pm

:evil: :evil: :cry: :evil:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Mick Kearns was very upset with the way Downing gave away the free kick before their goal. Very much implied he would like to see Matt Preston given his chance.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Two points lost.
Shooting practice at training?
As mentioned by someone above, we seem to be ballsing it up again.
The wife said to me early in the season after we started so well "just after Xmas your lot will be out of the picture again, they always do, don't know why you bother getting so excited".
Was going to Scunny but now I don't think I'll bother, save my money for the 'big game' on Saturday.
Anyone know whether we can buy at the gate?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Two points lost.
The wife said to me early in the season after we started so well "just after Xmas your lot will be out of the picture again, they always do, don't know why you bother getting so excited".
Was going to Scunny but now I don't think I'll bother, save my money for the 'big game' on Saturday.

You always live up to your name ffs :lol:

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:32 pm

I just screamed into a pillow for about 20 minutes.

Please get a striker on loan

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:38 pm

It seems as if we are playing more exciting football, which is what everyone was asking for. 21 goal attempts, 9 on target is better than most of last season. OK, we are still missing one vital ingredient.

I'm sure we will draw with Gillingham when we play them. (We always do.)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Disappointing result.

Still in top 2 as Gillingham look to be blowing up even earlier, no chance they'll last the pace. Wigan also flopping in their "100 point" season. :lol:

Bury looking ominous though, looks like that win at Bescot kick-started their season.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 pm

maximus wrote:
sallian wrote:Not good enough, although looks like they were trying to score at least...

Two consecutive missed opportunities to get established in pole position...Should have beaten Gillingham and Crewe, looks like the goals are drying up after a bright goalscoring start to the season

I don't know what is happening with the formation, but have two central strikers been abandoned for the old one isolated up front shackles of last season?

I really did expect the likes of Lalkovic, Cook, Morris, Baxendale to be scoring this season....what is happening with Bakayoko? Shouldn't we be trying to get him scoring in the first team? If he has some pace and drive then maybe it what is needed to give some added potency.

It seems like other teams haven't got their act together yet, we might drop rapidly if they do....we should be taking advantage of the current weakness in the division and we are beginning to balls it up.

I must have been asleep when we played them !!!!

You don't remember Fred Barber chesting the ball to keep a back-pass in play and the Gills striker scoring from it? Come on wake up....don't you ever attend matches or something?
Last edited by sallian on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:I just screamed into a pillow for about 20 minutes.

We have a striker his name is Cook, what's your problem? He's scored about 13 goals at the age of 25, fantastic strike rate should start ahead of Bradshaw.
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:07 pm

their goal was criminal , just like last week the opposition haven't had to create their goal! We handed it to them :oops:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Chomper wrote:Oh, hello Sallian.

Not sure we've played Gillingham yet but you're right, we should have beaten them.

I meant Peterborough.... I think it is because they both play in blue, are in the east and have more than one syllable in their name....I see them both as pretty average to poor historically....apart from the Ferguson-junior inspired mini-revival....and I guess a bit with Fry.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Guest wrote:It seems as if we are playing more exciting football, which is what everyone was asking for. 21 goal attempts, 9 on target is better than most of last season. OK, we are still missing one vital ingredient.

I can't complain much if they are taking a lot of shots....but I can complain a little, they need to give all strikers and midfielders 500 shot training drills....and maybe put more strikers on the pitch at once....Even though I don't know who the actual strikers are apart from Bradshaw and Bakayoko who doesn't play...the rest seem to be wingers and half-forwards, hole-men, 10ers or whatever they are called these days.

Bring back the prolific Bertschin and Banton

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Posh had a good win today though, a point is never that bad away from home although in the circumstances yes it was a disappointment.

Bradford though...they're another one I thought would be right up there but who have been poor so far.

Don't think there's great teams in this league compared to past couple of years. Fair play to Burton but I'd still be amazed if they're top 2 in May, good chance of play offs though.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:28 pm

sallian wrote:
maximus wrote:
sallian wrote:Not good enough, although looks like they were trying to score at least...

Two consecutive missed opportunities to get established in pole position...Should have beaten Gillingham and Crewe, looks like the goals are drying up after a bright goalscoring start to the season

I don't know what is happening with the formation, but have two central strikers been abandoned for the old one isolated up front shackles of last season?

I really did expect the likes of Lalkovic, Cook, Morris, Baxendale to be scoring this season....what is happening with Bakayoko? Shouldn't we be trying to get him scoring in the first team? If he has some pace and drive then maybe it what is needed to give some added potency.

It seems like other teams haven't got their act together yet, we might drop rapidly if they do....we should be taking advantage of the current weakness in the division and we are beginning to balls it up.

You don't remember Fred Barber chesting the ball to keep a back-pass in play and the Gills striker scoring from it? Come on wake up....don't you ever attend matches or something?

Fred was on the pitch today. Crewe goalkeeping coach.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:36 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
maximus wrote:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 pm

sallian wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
maximus wrote:

That is interesting, so he is still helping the opposition! .....I guess he was a major factor today as seeing as we had a bucket load of unsuccessful shots on goal! Bring back the loyal Ron Green

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Two points lost.

No its all ticket at Wigan as they only have a away end that's holds 5500, 2000 more than the amount of walsall fan's at bescot today :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 pm

sallian wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
maximus wrote:

That is interesting, so he is still helping the opposition! .....I guess he was a major factor today as seeing as we had a bucket load of unsuccessful shots on goal! Bring back the loyal Ron Green

And of course Barber had a few spells at peterborough too...which further justifies my quantum entanglement memory neuro-linguistic lapse

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:51 pm

sallian wrote:
Guest wrote:It seems as if we are playing more exciting football, which is what everyone was asking for. 21 goal attempts, 9 on target is better than most of last season. OK, we are still missing one vital ingredient.

I can't complain much if they are taking a lot of shots....but I can complain a little, they need to give all strikers and midfielders 500 shot training drills....and maybe put more strikers on the pitch at once....Even though I don't know who the actual strikers are apart from Bradshaw and Bakayoko who doesn't play...the rest seem to be wingers and half-forwards, hole-men, 10ers or whatever they are called these days.

Nah, Wilson & Lightbourne, now there was a partnership!

Just think if we still had the Cook/Grimes partnership, we would walk this league! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
sallian wrote:

Nah, Wilson & Lightbourne, now there was a partnership!

Just think if we still had the Cook/Grimes partnership, we would walk this league! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grimes would be banging them in if he had been given a proper chance....!

I don't know of any central strikers who can become prolific from 5 minutes on the wing and 85 minutes on the bench,

"You are the most clinical finisher in football....so we are going to give you five minutes on the wing every couple of weeks to score all the goals...." after this fails.... "We are getting rid of you buddy....you didn't perform!" The biggest waste of a striker, along with Robbie Jackson and Martin Butler....(On the day of the Millenium Stadium...play off triumph....against Reading, Butler looked like he could have scored five....we later got him back....and didn't give him any service when he could have scored a hatrick every game with decent supply...but we blamed him again and got rid of him) Indeed Wilson and Lightbourne might still be able to put a shift in with a bit of performance enhancer nutritional support!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:12 pm

SWS1 wrote:I'm so frustrated I'm off to have a glass of wine and cry.

Might take a box of wine to get over that.

Crewe were so piss poor that it was almost beyond belief. The Beeb stats didnt lie, should have been an easy 3 or 4 goal win, but when even Bradshaw misses a sitter in the last few minutes you know its going to be a shite day. The worst two points chucked away I can remember for seasons. Good as our football is, failing to put away cack like that will probably end up in a top 8 rather than top 6 finish.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:14 pm

New castle are beating Chelsea....we had to be the team that lost to the most expensive team in history to be relegated from the Premiership! While Bradford beat them at their best...! And we had all the reasons to get revenge

We need an emotional coach in addition to a striking coach

"Come on boys get angry, let your frustration and past humiliations flow out onto the pitch.....remember your past thrashings?"

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 pm

boringteacher wrote:

Crewe were so piss poor that it was almost beyond belief. The Beeb stats didnt lie, should have been an easy 3 or 4 goal win, but when even Bradshaw misses a sitter in the last few minutes you know its going to be a shite day. The worst two points chucked away I can remember for seasons. Good as our football is, failing to put away cack like that will probably end up in a top 8 rather than top 6 finish.

Forget top 6 we should be going for No.1 spot! But seems still the drive is lacking, but maybe not as seeing as they had 20 odd attempts.

If they are only playing one striker then this will be factor as we will be missing out on rebounds and on misplaced passes and better placed second man assist opportunities.....3 factors alone that should be enough.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:51 pm

sallian wrote:
boringteacher wrote:

Forget top 6 we should be going for No.1 spot! But seems still the drive is lacking, but maybe not as seeing as they had 20 odd attempts.

If they are only playing one striker then this will be factor as we will be missing out on rebounds and on misplaced passes and better placed second man assist opportunities.....3 factors alone that should be enough.

As much as I hate to admit agreeing with you (because you are clearly an idiot), today may have been a (rare) case when playing two up front would have been a good strategy, purely because today we were so superior we had Adam Chambers playing as an attacking midfielder at times.

In general, the reasons you give about rebounds, missed chances being good reasons to play two up front are no longer valid. The game has developed
so defenses don't let you get away with that anymore.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Big Dave wfc wrote:I just screamed into a pillow for about 20 minutes.

We have a striker his name is Cook, what's your problem? He's scored about 13 goals at the age of 25, fantastic strike rate should start ahead of Bradshaw.

I dislike cook! that's as polite as I can be without the happy clappers going off on a period about harassing the players.

Think ill scream into my pillow again

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Why can't we just sign a bloody striker grrrr

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:04 pm

A lesson on how to throw away 2 points and nearly all 3 blame it on crewe jinx or home jinx but if we have any ambition of a top 6 finish we must win games like this.
The game was so one sided at times it would have been stoped if boxing match, should have been out of sight by halftime yet you always could see crewe getting the winner from their quick breakaways in second half while wehad attempt after attempt never really looking as we could score a second goal.
Some hard games coming up lets hope our mini slump of 1 win in 4 matches does not turn into a big one after our tremendous start.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season