Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (H) League One 26th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Crewe Alexandra (H) League One 26th Sept, 3pm

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:
saddla wrote:I remember chatting to a couple of the players who played under Chris Nichol. They said he loved it when we won 1-0 if we won 3-2 he would go balistic over the 2 goals conceded. First and foremost keep a clean sheet was his motto.

It is the wrong motto, though...because even if you play excellent defensively...you can still be beaten by things that have nothing to do with bad defending e.g.:-

* speed
* trickery
* bad decisions
* dodgy pitches
* injury causing tackles/stretches etc
* unstoppable cannon-ball shots

Of course you must try and keep a clean sheet, you wont lose if you don't concede, but you can't win if you don't score....and you can still win even if you score several times if you score more.....and a win is worth more than a draw...so attack is better than defence as a way to victory although both are important.

If we score 2 or 3 a game...we can afford to let in one a game.... But if we can only score one a game...then a good defence will not be enough to get promoted.

You are looking at it from the wrong angle

You get the same number of points for winning 3-0 or 2-0 as 1-0. But you lose two points if you draw 1-1.

In that sense an extra goal scored is worth far less than an extra goal conceded.

And that is why you are so very wrong.

I have no idea why you are so dense and stubborn though.

please tell me that reply is a wind-up ...otherwise I am gonna have to get you to sit down with a grown up!

With people like you we don't deserve to change things for the better nor score more goals!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:22 pm

saddla wrote:
sallian wrote:
saddla wrote:I remember chatting to a couple of the players who played under Chris Nichol. They said he loved it when we won 1-0 if we won 3-2 he would go balistic over the 2 goals conceded. First and foremost keep a clean sheet was his motto.

It is the wrong motto, though...because even if you play excellent defensively...you can still be beaten by things that have nothing to do with bad defending e.g.:-

* speed
* trickery
* bad decisions
* dodgy pitches

Of course you must try and keep a clean sheet, you wont lose if you don't concede, but you can't win if you don't score....and you can still win even if you score several times if you score more.....and a win is worth more than a draw...so attack is better than defence as a way to victory although both are important.

If we score 2 or 3 a game...we can afford to let in one a game.... But if we can only score one a game...then a good defence will not be enough to get promoted.

His managerial record at walsall:

Walsall from 1 August 1994 to 21 May 1997 played 157 won 71 drew 41 lost 45 win % 45.22
that would suggest you are wrong.

Sorry it does not suggest I'm wrong...I didn't say he wasn't a good manager, nor with good defensive tactics, I am saying the motto is wrong...i.e. the philosophy of keeping a clean sheet as the main objective is wrong if you want to be a winning team...again, I don't say it is unimportant...

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:27 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:

* speed
* trickery
* bad decisions
* dodgy pitches

You are looking at it from the wrong angle

You get the same number of points for winning 3-0 or 2-0 as 1-0. But you lose two points if you draw 1-1.

In that sense an extra goal scored is worth far less than an extra goal conceded.

And that is why you are so very wrong.

I have no idea why you are so dense and stubborn though.

please tell me that reply is a wind-up ...otherwise I am gonna have to get you to sit down with a grown up!

With people like you we don't deserve to change things for the better nor score more goals!

Sorry Salian I am just telling it like it is. No matter how much you keep your head in the sand and wish for bygone ages of crap defending, those times ain't coming back.

But if you keep posting outdated ideas on here I will continue to rip them up because I find your posts tedious and wrong.

Alternatively You could try and appreciate the wonderful way Walsall keep the ball these days. They really are a joy to watch at times.

Let us know when you join the 21st century
Last edited by Andy_Petterson on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Finally, please answer why all other teams have abandoned playing the second striker?

Andy, please look at the statistical analysis of formations of all Premier League games with regards to formation....You can see absolutely, patently that you are turbo rock poppingly wrong....by a factor of about 250

Formations involving two or more strikers were employed in over 200 team starting formations... If we analyze the same for all other divisions I expect we will get similar results

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/13/louis-van-gaal-united-tinker-table-premier-league

Now go and eat a giant slice of Humble Bumble Bee Pie while wearing a Sallian is Right T-shirt

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:48 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Finally, please answer why all other teams have abandoned playing the second striker?

Andy, please look at the statistical analysis of formations of all Premier League games with regards to formation....You can see absolutely, patently that you are turbo rock poppingly wrong....by a factor of about 250

Formations involving two or more strikers were employed in over 200 team starting formations... If we analyze the same for all other divisions I expect we will get similar results

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/13/louis-van-gaal-united-tinker-table-premier-league

Now go and eat a giant slice of Humble Bumble Bee Pie while wearing a Sallian is Right T-shirt

Err, your chart shows the most popular formation was 4-2-3-1. A staggering 225 times.

Next was 4-4-2, 80 times

Do you even understand what you type?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:50 pm

I shouldn't have said all other teams have abandoned a second striker. Clearly some still do play one.

It's hard to cover all eventualities on a discussion forum like this.

However the clear trend is towards one striker. That is the point I am making

That is the point you are ignoring.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

The article also says two up front was played most times by Leicester and Hull, both in the relegation zone for most of the season.

You couldn't have given poorer evidence to support your argument if you tried. :lol:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:58 pm

I will have one of your salian is right t-shirts though.

could be useful emergency toilet paper after a vindaloo.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Sallion...I notice there is one question you didn't answer....Did you go yesterday? I bet you didn't. I have a further question do you ever see us play? I don't think you do because if you did you would not write such rubbish! This season we have had more of the ball,created more chances and had more shots than any of our opponents. We are also second in the table! Not too bad eh?
As far as Cook is concerned he scored 5 goals last year in 29 games...not great but acceptable. He does his best and the criticism of him is way over the top. He played well against Chelsea against 2 England centre backs and caused them trouble and on Saturday did nothing wrong. When I was a Manager I always got the best out of people by praising their good work rather than berating them for mistakes. I suspect Dean is similar,,,positivity works ok!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Walsallone wrote:Sallion...I notice there is one question you didn't answer....Did you go yesterday? I bet you didn't. I have a further question do you ever see us play? I don't think you do because if you did you would not write such rubbish! This season we have had more of the ball,created more chances and had more shots than any of our opponents. We are also second in the table! Not too bad eh?
As far as Cook is concerned he scored 5 goals last year in 29 games...not great but acceptable. He does his best and the criticism of him is way over the top. He played well against Chelsea against 2 England centre backs and caused them trouble and on Saturday did nothing wrong. When I was a Manager I always got the best out of people by praising their good work rather than berating them for mistakes. I suspect Dean is similar,,,positivity works ok!

It is fantastic what the team and Dean Smith are achieving so far, yes they are playing well, defending well, shooting more and creating more chances...all of which is great. Also it seems Dean Smith saw something in Sawyers which I had not before (admitted I seen him a lot less times)...so am pleased Sawyers is stepping up.

Our success is early days though, and we are stuttering a bit...my frustration is that I believe we could be doing even better, with two strikers employed more often.

I am not one of the boo-boys against Cook...the times I have seen him, he looks sharp, tidy and capable...but again based on my limited viewings. I am convinced he can score many for us in the formation set up. I think it will be a mistake to let him go.

I think we have a good few players who we don't get the best out of.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:11 am

Managed to type 3 full paragraphs in response without actually answering the question :roll:

Salian should be a politician....

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:26 am

Well spotted "FUNK"....he probably is a politician :D

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season