Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Good game.

It flew by tbf which isn't always the case at league one. Chelsea were as expected dominant and pounced on some of the careless passing at the back, just quality all over the pitch where maybe a bit more inexperience was expected, Loftus-Cheek was good in fairness.

Sawyers was excellent, kid is really stepping it up this season. He's a bit like Grealish, he plays the game at his own pace which can infuriate at times but this season he's backing it up with goals and assists. Despite O'Connor getting MOTM, thought him and Milan were the best players.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I thought we had a really good go at them. Fair play to Mourinho for fielding such a strong side. As was said on WM, Chelsea played well tonight, it wasn't like they strolled through the game in first gear.

Romaine Sawyers was as good as anyone in the pitch tonight, a real pleasure to watch him. It's the same old Walsall syndrome though. Now peoe can finally see what a top player he is, he'll end up leaving on a free transfer and then get slated for "going for the money". If you support these players to start with, it may help them make that decision a bit harder.

Great to see Cook ruffling the feathers of Terry and Cahill too

Sydney Saddler

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 pm

Let's be fair dinkum, Chelsea did not get out of second gear. It was great to see Walsall play positively and I agree that Romaine Sawyers would have made a few scouts take notice of his undoubted ability but the Saddlers scored out of nothing and Chelsea could have had six or seven goals on other night.

luckyeddie

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:39 pm

thanks pal , that was me, the first bloke on bbc interview,

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 pm

Sydney Saddler wrote:Let's be fair dinkum, Chelsea did not get out of second gear. It was great to see Walsall play positively and I agree that Romaine Sawyers would have made a few scouts take notice of his undoubted ability but the Saddlers scored out of nothing and Chelsea could have had six or seven goals on other night.
no i disagree. chelsea played superbly. we gave them problems and if we had taken our chances it could have been 6-5. and we didn't score out of nothing. it was a fantastic save from a fantastic free kick. and we followed it up with a finish :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Sydney Saddler

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Well, we must have been watching a different game. A goal bundled in off a long-range free-kick is a goal out of nothing in my book. I really do not see the need to pump up Walsall's tyres. Did Walsall play well? Yes. Did Walsall force Chelsea to take it seriously? Yes. Did Walsall ever threaten to force a draw, let alone a win? No, not even close. I got up at 4.45am to watch the match live and not once did I feel that an upset was on the cards. There was no shame in that - Chelsea had half of its first-choice team on duty, blokes worth millions coming off its bench and Jose Mourinho has a history of treating this competition respectfully. Walsall lost 1-4 - it was a fair result, just as it was a fair result that Liverpool knocked out Carlisle after the Reds had more than 40 attempts during the 120 minutes.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Sydney Saddler wrote:Well, we must have been watching a different game. A goal bundled in off a long-range free-kick is a goal out of nothing in my book. I really do not see the need to pump up Walsall's tyres. Did Walsall play well? Yes. Did Walsall force Chelsea to take it seriously? Yes. Did Walsall ever threaten to force a draw, let alone a win? No, not even close. I got up at 4.45am to watch the match live and not once did I feel that an upset was on the cards. There was no shame in that - Chelsea had half of its first-choice team on duty, blokes worth millions coming off its bench and Jose Mourinho has a history of treating this competition respectfully. Walsall lost 1-4 - it was a fair result, just as it was a fair result that Liverpool knocked out Carlisle after the Reds had more than 40 attempts during the 120 minutes.

Chelsea did deserve to win, no denying it, and yes, they did have several chances, notably in the first half. I wouldn't say we got a goal out of nothing though, and we certainly did have chances throughout the game. The Chelsea chances were just more noticeable because they forced Etheridge into action. We had three or four efforts for the edge of the box where we simply didn't test Begovic.

Garbinho

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:15 pm

Had we have threatened the upset tonight, Chelsea would have just turned it up a gear. The gulf in class was evident and if they needed more goals they would have got them.

I'm not belittling our performance, we played well and I'm glad we gave it a go. We made a fair few chances but the difference was just their quality. They put their chances away easily, we struggled to get ours on target. Part of the difference is just physical. Most of the Chelsea players left ours for dead - like pedro for the fourth. Even Ivanovic who has been slated about his pace recently seemed to keep up with Rocket Rico.

Overall, I think Sawyers wouldn't have looked out of place playing number 10 for them. He thrived on the space and it says something the Grey Smith brought on Matic to mark him.
Cook didn't do much apart from wind up the thugs at the back for them
O'Connor was good. He reads the game so well at CB, one of our best players and looks like he's a leader.
The rest had reasonable games. I think this side is going places, but we don't half look slim up front without Bradshaw. Who realistically could smith have brought on as CF?

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 pm

I got up for a 2.45am kickoff here, and felt we were in with a chance at half time. I didn't think the goal came out of the blue as Milan had threatened a few times before that free kick. The surprise was that it was O'Connor who put the ball in the net. We had no chance after their third, though.

Sydney Saddler

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Garbinho wrote:Had we have threatened the upset tonight, Chelsea would have just turned it up a gear. The gulf in class was evident and if they needed more goals they would have got them.

I'm not belittling our performance, we played well and I'm glad we gave it a go. We made a fair few chances but the difference was just their quality. They put their chances away easily, we struggled to get ours on target. Part of the difference is just physical. Most of the Chelsea players left ours for dead - like pedro for the fourth. Even Ivanovic who has been slated about his pace recently seemed to keep up with Rocket Rico.

Overall, I think Sawyers wouldn't have looked out of place playing number 10 for them. He thrived on the space and it says something the Grey Smith brought on Matic to mark him.
Cook didn't do much apart from wind up the thugs at the back for them
O'Connor was good. He reads the game so well at CB, one of our best players and looks like he's a leader.
The rest had reasonable games. I think this side is going places, but we don't half look slim up front without Bradshaw. Who realistically could smith have brought on as CF?

One hundred per cent agree with all of that. Romaine Sawyers may be a better all-round footballer than Tom Bradshaw but there is no doubt in my mind as to which one is more important to Walsall's promotion prospects.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:36 pm

How threadbare is our squad? Our centre forward is injured and we don't have a single other striker who can play. It's a ridiculous situation.

Chelsea were bigger, faster, stronger and deserved the win, but class? Really?

When we played Liverpool in the 80's they had class all over the park, exceptional players like John Barnes, same when we played Man Utd in the 90's, Scholes oozed class. This Chelsea team cost much much more and were without a single player who hit anywhere near that level. In fact Sawyers was better than anyone in the Chelsea team.

Chelsea reminded me of the Wolves team we played at home in their League 1 promotion team. Big strong bullies, who were always going to roll us over. Deserved winners but very disappointing.

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Guest wrote:As I mentioned on another thread,

http://livetv.sx/en/eventinfo/344024_walsall_chelsea/

No good to moaning, of course. (Talk about bad planning...)

The highlights are on Channel 5 at 11pm BST, and can be watched from anywhere in the world at filmon.com. I will post a link to my cloud recording of the highlights at approximately 12.40am. Once I've downloaded the programme, I'll upload the Walsall match to YouTube. Unless we lose...

Here's the link to Capital One Cup Tonight, anyway.

http://hls.dvr.gv.filmon.com/schdld/22/39/265/2015.09.23/2685733.mp4

(I will keep it there until Saturday.)

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Decent game but might get some stick but it was well over hyped and I actually wish I'd stayed at home, then that £25 could of been used on another away match. As soon as it was announced Tom Bradshaw wasn't playing I knew we had no chance, we are crying out for another striker please please please get one in on loan smith! The result was a fair one and no one can argue with it.

Etheridge was at fault again due to some of his "dodgy" passing. Good keeper but really needs to work on that.

Roll on Crewe anyway So we concentrate on what's important, getting promotion!!!

UTS!

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Well according to Sporting Life we conceded 4 free kicks against Chelsea's 16 & we had 4 corners against their 1. That normally tells a story of it's own.

However although we both had 10 shots on and off target both sides scored 50% of the shots on target hence the result 1-4. Another gear or not I think we gave them a game and a few more shots on target they would have needed one.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:00 am

latviancheese wrote:Actually quite chuffed, as we played wel and matched them for periods of the game. Don't think the score line was fair but Etheridge didnt cover himself in much glory.

Absolutely shocking first goal at any level, you can't give the ball away on the edge of your own box.

Remy was a cut above, Falcao is an expensive pub player. Lalkovic and Henry also made ivanovic look rubbish in the first half.

Sawyers was the best player on the pitch. He was unreal. I'll be amazed if no bids come in for this boy.

Agree with most of that although I rate Etheridge.
Pissfarting around at the back cost us heavily - yow cor do that against Prem sides.
They also targeted Rico.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:11 am

praise from Mourinho about Walsall's football and how Walsall missed Bradshaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwabmrRHw4

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwabmrRHw4[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwabmrRHw4

how the hell do you insert urls or youtube links in here?!!!

UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:10 am

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 am

Wow there isn't half gonna be some posters on here eating humble pie over Sawyers in the not too distant future!

BIG slices as well

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:56 am

Whitters wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Actually quite chuffed, as we played wel and matched them for periods of the game. Don't think the score line was fair but Etheridge didnt cover himself in much glory.

Absolutely shocking first goal at any level, you can't give the ball away on the edge of your own box.

Remy was a cut above, Falcao is an expensive pub player. Lalkovic and Henry also made ivanovic look rubbish in the first half.

Sawyers was the best player on the pitch. He was unreal. I'll be amazed if no bids come in for this boy.

Agree with most of that although I rate Etheridge.
Pissfarting around at the back cost us heavily - yow cor do that against Prem sides.
They also targeted Rico.

I think Etheridge did the correct thing (in theory) though, rather that hoof it which would have just invited pressure a few seconds/minutes later. We just need to continue to get better at playing in tight spaces.

Italiansaddler

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 am

Really enjoyed the game 4-1 was harsh but I suppose they did have 3 shots cleared off the line so maybe it was about right,

Shame Tom didn't play as I felt for Cook playing agasint two class centre backs he was like a fish out of water

Thought keeper had a night to forget thought could done better with 3-4 goal bad pass for 1st goal as well, but remember we played one of the best sides in the world not just the country,

Sawyers really was amazing the kid is just our best player I said for last few years on here as well kid sees the game differently real talent

We carry playing like that I can't see why we can't finish in top 6 this year, we need another option up front tho can't play whole season with one centre forward it's madness.

Only other comment I have to make is we prop have the worse scumbag fans in the world I have never heard the word c**t used so many times it's just not on really, some real pond life around me last night

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:44 am

Bradshaw will be buzzing when he watches that Mourinho press conference. :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:04 am

Very fair comments from the Chelsea manager. If only more people around here realised that our team is not what you usually get in league 1 !!

LLASLAW
UTS Regular

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:12 am

I was very proud last night to see my little town team take on the 'big-boys'.

I have to admit that Sawyers was absolute class last night and if he carries on like that for the majority of this season then we are definitely on to something special. I've never been a Sawyers hater at all, but have been frustrated at times with his 1 good game followed by 1 or 2 where he doesn't really get involved, but this season he has improved tenfold! Putting Mikel on his arse was a great thing to see too! :lol:

As for Chelsea, they protect their back 4 very well, but I thought Ivanovic and Baba Rahman were weak links for them last night (if you could call them that?!). Falcao was the level below weak - he's lost it majorly since the cruciate injury! He won't be at a top club next season based on last night and last season.

As for the goals conceded, I think that the first 2 of them were down to poor defending / decision making (although we wouldn't get punished like we did last night in League 1 as much!):

1st goal - Etheridge at fault with pass accuracy.
2nd goal - Ball should have been closed down between the 2 defenders (Henry / O'Connor?)

Can't complain though, we gave it a good go and didn't fold like we did at Wembley and against Palace last season.

Very happy we scored too, and I didn't realise O'Connor had lost his grandad so recently, so fair play to him for a great performance.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/09/final-whistle-verdict--walsall-away.html

Nice comments from Mourinho towards the bottom of the article :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:40 am

Basics from last night.

Etheridge not good enough,
Sawyers is an unbelievable talent
Cook needs to go on loan to Hereford

Just hope that Smith tapped up Jose about a fringe striker.....

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:47 am

What a proud night to be a saddler.

Sawyers is an alien. He was immense last night. I've said it from day one and then again so has Deano, this man is the cog of the team. Brilliance.

Jury is still out for me on Etheridge and Downing's distribution was appalling for long spells in the game.
Coming up against a player like Kenedy/Ivanovic (who is built like an eartha brick) was always going to be tough for Rico and I think it showed yesterday but that will not do him any harm at all.
I feel Cook tried his best/ran his knackers off and even won a few headers over England's previous centre half pairing which is no mean feat.

Great night and a great confidence booster for the lads.
UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:00 am

Well, an interesting evening.

We gave a really good account of ourselves, certainly didn't embarass ourselves in anyway. Never expected anything out of the game, but credit to the team, we tried to play the right kind of football, which against a team of Chelsea's stature was probably to our detriment.

For us, Etheridge had a bit of a mare, he was at fault for the 1st and 4th goals, which left the scoreline flattering Chelsea and kind of killed off the game. Sawyers had a good game, and I find myself agreeing with Dean Smith more and more - when he said Sawyers wouldn't have looked out of place in the Chelsea team, he was right. Sawyers has really pulled his socks up and matured this season, maybe he had a rocket up his arse last season.

It was great to see how we would shape up against a team like Chelsea, the one big difference you notice is how little time you get on the ball, it's split second stuff, and before you know it you've got Mikel, Loftus-Cheek, Cahill, Ivanovic on your heels, and nipping the ball away from you really skillfully.

Interesting to notice just how tall they all are - I always bang on about physicality, look at their line up yesterday, they must have had 5 or 6 players over 6ft 3, even Mikel, who appears small on TV, is a tall lad. Thats why people who reckon Baxendale will ever make it are wrong - he's too small and weak, with no redeeming physical qualities.

Dean's team selection was pretty much what I'd have done - resting Bradshaw and Taylor, our two most injury prone players, but also two of our most important players, was right, no need risking losing them 2 for one toss of the dice against the champions.

Cook played poorly - but I'm hesitant to criticise him too much because he was upfront alone, on a night when we didn't have a lot of possession, and he was up against JT and Cahill, two terrific centre-halves, not to mention Ivanovic and Rehman, two experienced internationals.

There were periods during the game when we really took the game to Chelsea and troubled them, so credit where credit is due.

I've been critical of refereeing lately, but again, credit where credit is due, the refereeing performance last night was spot on.

Final word goes to Falcao - £200k a week? Madness, absolute madness. You could have swapped him with Carlos Carneiro and you wouldn't have noticed.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 am

Clubs will be queuing up for Sawyers the lad has the potential to play at the top level and I think he is starting to realise it.

For me the keeper is a real issue he has way to many mistakes in him and its costing us!

However some of our passing last night was superb and at times frustrated the visitors, also a mention for O'Connor what a player he is turning into.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Wow there isn't half gonna be some posters on here eating humble pie over Sawyers in the not too distant future!

BIG slices as well

I disagree.

I criticised Sawyers heavily last season, and rightly so, he turned him some dreadful performances last season for a player of his ability, when the team needed it most. Just look at his stats for last season and compare them to his - he's already scored more goals than he did last season, and that tells a story of it's own.

I also criticised Smith heavily, again, rightly so, and again, he's upped his game this season. His use of the squad is much improved, he's developed 2 differing tactics and that has been quite effective so far, and again, the stats tell their own story.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:15 am

Our performance last night against top class oposition in front of a full house was superb. I only hope that this will convince some of the part timers to come back more regularly.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season