Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 am

philthesaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Wow there isn't half gonna be some posters on here eating humble pie over Sawyers in the not too distant future!

BIG slices as well

I disagree.

I criticised Sawyers heavily last season, and rightly so, he turned him some dreadful performances last season for a player of his ability, when the team needed it most. Just look at his stats for last season and compare them to his - he's already scored more goals than he did last season, and that tells a story of it's own.

I also criticised Smith heavily, again, rightly so, and again, he's upped his game this season. His use of the squad is much improved, he's developed 2 differing tactics and that has been quite effective so far, and again, the stats tell their own story.

Maybe he read your posts, thanks Phil - you've done us all a solid. You're the real [insert hair colour] Mourinho.

In other news, Dean has definitely learnt his lesson regarding playing (even if slightly) not 100% fit players. Glad to see Bradshaw has been given the time to repair himself.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:24 am

Glad that one is out of the way.

We lost that one down to pure physicality. They were just stronger, and faster, so, so much faster. Shows our lot what a freak you have to be to become a player in the top league.

Thought half our team did themselves great credit. Especially Sawyers, Lalkovic & O'Connor. No freezing from them.

Our reliance on Bradshaw is a surprise to no one.

Shame, but Downing isn't improving, and if anything is regressing. Time for Preston to get a chance.

Cook is becoming a poor man's Alex Nichols.

Chambers won't get another playing contract.

It'll be sorted for Saturday.

Bring on the bogey side!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:52 am

Well done lads beaten but not disgraced by a very strong chelsea side (not your usual 10 reserves and 1 star sent out by premier teams) never gave up trying or let heads drop.

Sawyers showed his class and as stated by others could have been in blue shirt

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:26 am

Anyone know the 50 50 draw numbers?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:35 am

It's easy sitting infront of the TV watching the Premier League to think that teams aren't that good, or wouldn't be hard to get at. It's very different when you see them live. The only major difference between the sides last night was that Chelsea did everything 2 yards quicker (especially off the ball) and they had were physically much stronger/commanding than we were.

I thought you could instantly see the weak links in our side (Downing, Chambers, Cook) and the ones who have a good future in the game (Sawyers, Henry, Lalkovic, Demetriou, O'Connor).

The Good

I thought Henry was excellent given he received no cover. Defended well and broke when he could. Tenacious sums him up - just like winning that foul right on the byline from Cahill late in the second half. Imagine what he's going to think when he comes up against Crewe's winger on Saturday. Remy was Chelsea's best player I thought.

Demetriou got stuck in and got forward excellently. Really good find by Smith. Stuck in the Cypriot second division. He's a definite upgrade on Purkiss (he won't be cheap either).

O'Connor didn't put a foot wrong, glad he scored for his late grandad.

The Less Good

Cook had a hard task, but he's never a back up centre forward. For example, he's too small to win headers and too weak to hold the ball up, so you would think he would drop into midfield, or deeper to pick the ball up in space - something clever forwards do. Instead, he just stuck to both centre back, running left to right, finding no space, no pockets etc. Obviously it's harsh against 2 England centre backs - but the signs are that he's never going to make it. I thought he was pretty awful in fairness. His first touch let him down on the odd occasion he got the ball.

Chambers is Chambers. Ineffective 90% of the time. We really need Osbourne fit, or to find a replacement.

Downing was pretty poor to be honest. It's becoming clear that he will be forever one of these league 2/1 players that flirts good things, then has a bad spell, has a good year, followed by 2 iffy ones etc. He'd probably be too good for league 2, but he can be woefully exposed at times in league one - never mind the Premier League.

People seemed to have been quickly convinced that Etheridge was the man, but he cost us 2 points on Saturday, cost the Phillipines 3 goals recently and last night he was at fault for both the 1st and 4th goal. He's got a long way to go to iron all those mistakes if he's going become a solid goalkeeper.

The Best

Romaine Sawyers. What a player. Always said it, if he reached his potential he would be a top 6, starting XI Championship player. He's slowly proving it. Smith best offer him a contract soon to try and force a fee for him. Last night was one of the best, most classy obviously individual performance I've seen from a Walsall player since Scott Dann. Just quality. It was obvious after 15 minutes how he was the single, only player we had who looked to have time, skill or a presence on the ball. The clip of him in the second half actually made me smirk live at the game. What a brillant, brillant player. Imagine our side without him and Tom. Enough to make you shudder.

Overall, I thought we gave a very good account of ourselves. We have the wrong makeup to the side to beat a strong physical team like Chelsea - Bradford beat them with archaic 6ft6 cloggers - that don't always work in League 1, but can physically match stronger premier league sides. We aren't like that. But our football could be enough to see us sneak 6th place providing we keep Tom fit for as long as possible and don't lose Sawyers in January.

After the opening day of the season against Oldham, which was a repeat of the last 18 months - I thought we were and Smith was in deep trouble. Since then we have been a breath of fresh air, scored goals, played some blinding football and shown everyone involved in the playing team have a second dimension. Will it continue? Who knows - we never beat bloody Crewe and a long poor patch CAN occur for any team that finish in 6th in League One. At least we might finally have a proper go.

Much to be happy about.

UTS.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 am

Good performance, on the whole stuck to our principles of play. great platform for Romaine to show his ability.

People flapping about Chelsea not getting out of second gear? so? they started with £80 million worth of players on the pitch, plus another £70 million on the bench. Ivanovic and Mikel both struggled against our players in the first half, I'd take credit in that.

Now, back on to league business, and Smith needs to arrange for another forward, we can't go a whole season with just Tom, that's just poor planning.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 am

Soton Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Wow there isn't half gonna be some posters on here eating humble pie over Sawyers in the not too distant future!

BIG slices as well

I disagree.

I criticised Sawyers heavily last season, and rightly so, he turned him some dreadful performances last season for a player of his ability, when the team needed it most. Just look at his stats for last season and compare them to his - he's already scored more goals than he did last season, and that tells a story of it's own.

I also criticised Smith heavily, again, rightly so, and again, he's upped his game this season. His use of the squad is much improved, he's developed 2 differing tactics and that has been quite effective so far, and again, the stats tell their own story.

Maybe he read your posts, thanks Phil - you've done us all a solid. You're the real [insert hair colour] Mourinho.

In other news, Dean has definitely learnt his lesson regarding playing (even if slightly) not 100% fit players. Glad to see Bradshaw has been given the time to repair himself.

:lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:20 pm

Agree with Phil's summary:-

philthesaddler wrote:We gave a really good account of ourselves, certainly didn't embarrass ourselves in anyway. Never expected anything out of the game, but credit to the team, we tried to play the right kind of football, which against a team of Chelsea's stature was probably to our detriment.

For us, Etheridge had a bit of a 'mare, he was at fault for the 1st and 4th goals, which left the scoreline flattering Chelsea and kind of killed off the game.

Definitely coaching points there for Cutler to work on with Etheridge

Sawyers had a good game, and I find myself agreeing with Dean Smith more and more - when he said Sawyers wouldn't have looked out of place in the Chelsea team, he was right. Sawyers has really pulled his socks up and matured this season, maybe he had a rocket up his arse last season.

Agreed. It annoys me - the smug gloating on here, aimed at Otis. The fact is that Sawyers WAS utter garbage in many (most?) matches, last season. I don't think that anyone has ever denied that he has always been extremely gifted but, at long last, DS appears to have got him to apply those talents to the team's performance. Last night was probably his best performance in a Walsall shirt, particularly in view of the quality of most of the opposition.

It was great to see how we would shape up against a team like Chelsea, the one big difference you notice is how little time you get on the ball, it's split second stuff, and before you know it you've got Mikel, Loftus-Cheek, Cahill, Ivanovic on your heels, and nipping the ball away from you really skillfully.

Interesting to notice just how tall they all are - I always bang on about physicality, look at their line up yesterday, they must have had 5 or 6 players over 6ft 3, even Mikel, who appears small on TV, is a tall lad. That's why people who reckon Baxendale will ever make it are wrong - he's too small and weak, with no redeeming physical qualities.

This is true of most top-flight players. they back up their skill with a physical presence. Lionel Messi is very much a rare exception to the rule.

Dean's team selection was pretty much what I'd have done - resting Bradshaw and Taylor, our two most injury prone players, but also two of our most important players, was right, no need risking losing them 2 for one toss of the dice against the champions.

Cook played poorly - but I'm hesitant to criticise him too much because he was upfront alone, on a night when we didn't have a lot of possession, and he was up against JT and Cahill, two terrific centre-halves, not to mention Ivanovic and Rehman, two experienced internationals.

Cook is very much the weak link in the squad but he tried his best in a rôle for which he is not suited. We do look VERY weak up front without Bradshaw.

There were periods during the game when we really took the game to Chelsea and troubled them, so credit where credit is due.

Indeed. We enjoyed large periods of possession but rarely threatened Begovic, sadly.

I've been critical of refereeing lately, but again, credit where credit is due, the refereeing performance last night was spot on.

I groaned inwardly when I saw that Lee Mason was the referee but, yes, credit where credit is due, apart from a couple of harsh yellow cards, I thought that he refereed the game excellently. Now that's a sentence that I never thought that I would type! :D

Final word goes to Falcao - £200k a week? Madness, absolute madness. You could have swapped him with Carlos Carneiro and you wouldn't have noticed.

I cannot believe that Paris St. Germain once paid £60 million for him!!! What a donkey! He was worse than Cook!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Scott I agree that Sawyers wasn't garbage last year but he was,at times,frustrating to watch. Maybe it was partly down to other players and partly down to him. I have commented on here a number of times about writing off players too early in their careers and because of the way he plays Sawyers was an easy target. Flanagan is one being written off now by many people...I say support him and lets see how he performs over the whole season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Cook is very much the weak link in the squad but he tried his best in a rôle for which he is not suited.

I don't think there is a role he is suited for, not on a football pitch anyway.

Football is football, if you chase balls down, make a nuisance of yourself and get in good positions and work hard, then you'll do well regardless of what your position is on the pitch, or your physical stature. Cook doesn't do any of that. He can finish but expects it to be handed to him on a plate.

Bradshaw is successful, like Fryatt and Deeney were because they chase lost causes and pressure defenders into mistakes, and pick up the pieces. This also tires defenders out so they find it difficult to concentrate for 90 minutes so will make mistakes. Unless you're Paul Downing who can make mistakes or gift possession away under no pressure whatsoever.

Smith desperately needs to get a loan striker for when Bradshaw isn't 100% if we are to continue the start we've had. Our losses so far have been when Bradshaw hasn't played or he clearly wasn't match fit. He shouldn't be played in those circumstances, or certainly not started at least.

As for last night. Job done:

1. they put on an entertaining performance in front of a large crowd hopefully entice some of them back soon.

2. Judging from Mourinho's flattering comments about our play it would be nice to think he could send his young players on loan knowing they will be coached and play the right way to suit PL football.

3. The club got lots of national and international PR and media attention. Nice trick turning the sprinkler on to get even more TV time. :mrgreen:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Oh, and Sawyers putting £100k a week players on their bums was class.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Agree with Phil's summary:-

philthesaddler wrote:We gave a really good account of ourselves, certainly didn't embarrass ourselves in anyway. Never expected anything out of the game, but credit to the team, we tried to play the right kind of football, which against a team of Chelsea's stature was probably to our detriment.

For us, Etheridge had a bit of a 'mare, he was at fault for the 1st and 4th goals, which left the scoreline flattering Chelsea and kind of killed off the game.

Definitely coaching points there for Cutler to work on with Etheridge

Sawyers had a good game, and I find myself agreeing with Dean Smith more and more - when he said Sawyers wouldn't have looked out of place in the Chelsea team, he was right. Sawyers has really pulled his socks up and matured this season, maybe he had a rocket up his arse last season.

Agreed. It annoys me - the smug gloating on here, aimed at Otis. The fact is that Sawyers WAS utter garbage in many (most?) matches, last season. I don't think that anyone has ever denied that he has always been extremely gifted but, at long last, DS appears to have got him to apply those talents to the team's performance. Last night was probably his best performance in a Walsall shirt, particularly in view of the quality of most of the opposition.

It was great to see how we would shape up against a team like Chelsea, the one big difference you notice is how little time you get on the ball, it's split second stuff, and before you know it you've got Mikel, Loftus-Cheek, Cahill, Ivanovic on your heels, and nipping the ball away from you really skillfully.

Interesting to notice just how tall they all are - I always bang on about physicality, look at their line up yesterday, they must have had 5 or 6 players over 6ft 3, even Mikel, who appears small on TV, is a tall lad. That's why people who reckon Baxendale will ever make it are wrong - he's too small and weak, with no redeeming physical qualities.

This is true of most top-flight players. they back up their skill with a physical presence. Lionel Messi is very much a rare exception to the rule.

Dean's team selection was pretty much what I'd have done - resting Bradshaw and Taylor, our two most injury prone players, but also two of our most important players, was right, no need risking losing them 2 for one toss of the dice against the champions.

Cook played poorly - but I'm hesitant to criticise him too much because he was upfront alone, on a night when we didn't have a lot of possession, and he was up against JT and Cahill, two terrific centre-halves, not to mention Ivanovic and Rehman, two experienced internationals.

Cook is very much the weak link in the squad but he tried his best in a rôle for which he is not suited. We do look VERY weak up front without Bradshaw.

There were periods during the game when we really took the game to Chelsea and troubled them, so credit where credit is due.

Indeed. We enjoyed large periods of possession but rarely threatened Begovic, sadly.

I've been critical of refereeing lately, but again, credit where credit is due, the refereeing performance last night was spot on.

I groaned inwardly when I saw that Lee Mason was the referee but, yes, credit where credit is due, apart from a couple of harsh yellow cards, I thought that he refereed the game excellently. Now that's a sentence that I never thought that I would type! :D

Final word goes to Falcao - £200k a week? Madness, absolute madness. You could have swapped him with Carlos Carneiro and you wouldn't have noticed.

I cannot believe that Paris St. Germain once paid £60 million for him!!! What a donkey! He was worse than Cook!

Comment of the thread, he was worse than Cook, now that really is bad :D

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 pm

My goodness, is Etheridge to become the new favourite of the boo boys? Yes he made a couple of mistakes last night but he also made several fine saves and commanded the whole of his area well at times. And in the the other games I've seen him so far this season, he's looked pretty decent and made some fine stops.

Anyone would think O' Donnell was the finished article when he first came to Walsall. Some people seem to have short memories. For what it's worth, I'd suggest that Etheridge possible has more attributes to work with than O'Donnell did at the same stage, the test will be whether he can absorb Cutler's coaching and improve. I suspect he can.

The other point to note about the first goal is that he was a victim of Walsall's philosophy of passing out from the back and not pointlessly humping it forward to a midget forward. The problem was that we were playing Chelsea and they were quick to the ball. He wasn't the only one caught out during the game - Demetriou, Henry, Chambers and Downing all got caught trying to do the same. Part of me thinks fair play to Dean Smith for continuing to play to this style whereas part of me thinks that, when you play Chelsea, sometimes you have to boot it forward or out.

Otherwise, most people are spot on in their opinions I reckon. I'm not sure about giving credit to Cook, I thought he was poor but then we have no alternative. To criticise Chambers is also disappointing. He's a solid professional and perfectly good enough at League One level but, at his age in particular, it was all a bit too quick for him last night. Fair comments about the danger Lalkovic caused as well, but the trade-off was definitely to leave Henry exposed and whilst, at first sight, a couple of goals looked like they might have been partly Henry's fault, when you look again you realise he wasn't sure which of two men he should be marking.

Anyway, they gave a good account of themselves, we need a striker, we have one of the best central defenders in our league and Sawyers is really performing to his potential now.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:36 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:My goodness, is Etheridge to become the new favourite of the boo boys? Yes he made a couple of mistakes last night but he also made several fine saves and commanded the whole of his area well at times. And in the the other games I've seen him so far this season, he's looked pretty decent and made some fine stops.

Anyone would think O' Donnell was the finished article when he first came to Walsall. Some people seem to have short memories. For what it's worth, I'd suggest that Etheridge possible has more attributes to work with than O'Donnell did at the same stage, the test will be whether he can absorb Cutler's coaching and improve. I suspect he can.

The other point to note about the first goal is that he was a victim of Walsall's philosophy of passing out from the back and not pointlessly humping it forward to a midget forward. The problem was that we were playing Chelsea and they were quick to the ball. He wasn't the only one caught out during the game - Demetriou, Henry, Chambers and Downing all got caught trying to do the same. Part of me thinks fair play to Dean Smith for continuing to play to this style whereas part of me thinks that, when you play Chelsea, sometimes you have to boot it forward or out.

Otherwise, most people are spot on in their opinions I reckon. I'm not sure about giving credit to Cook, I thought he was poor but then we have no alternative. To criticise Chambers is also disappointing. He's a solid professional and perfectly good enough at League One level but, at his age in particular, it was all a bit too quick for him last night. Fair comments about the danger Lalkovic caused as well, but the trade-off was definitely to leave Henry exposed and whilst, at first sight, a couple of goals looked like they might have been partly Henry's fault, when you look again you realise he wasn't sure which of two men he should be marking.

Anyway, they gave a good account of themselves, we need a striker, we have one of the best central defenders in our league and Sawyers is really performing to his potential now.

Agree regarding Etheridge. He's definitely not the finished product by any means and will be disappointed with at least 2 of the goals last night. We can't put our defence under pressure against any team, let alone Chelsea.

He'll get better though - it might take 12 months or so.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Agree too. He's better than Richard No Donnies was at the same stage of their Walsall careers. Work in progress.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:11 pm

A very rough diamond

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:15 pm

I agree to a certain extent Phil. I do feel that we are quick to write our players off, especially the younger ones. This is only Sawyers third season in the first team and his first in a more attacking team. I suppose, like Deano, I give more than a season to some of our products.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Magic Man Fan says: I don't think there is a role he is suited for, not on a football pitch anyway.

Football is football, if you chase balls down, make a nuisance of yourself and get in good positions and work hard, then you'll do well regardless of what your position is on the pitch, or your physical stature. Cook doesn't do any of that. He can finish but expects it to be handed to him on a plate.

I could not have put it better myself. Although I enjoyed the game it was spoilt by two things:

1. Being told by someone in our party of 6 that I reminded her of Bobby Davro :oops: :?:

2. Discovering that Jordan Cook was playing upfront in place of Tom Bradshaw

To be honest, I did get over 1., but could not get over 2. He was no more or less effective than he would have been if we had played Oldham again. 100% ineffective. I'm afraid I went on about it all night, because I cannot believe how pointless he was. Sure, he has some skill, but as MMF said, he wants it handed to him on a plate. We really need another forward option, because if Super Tom is out for any period of time we really are going to suffer without an adequate back up.

Please get it sorted Dean.

Noggin
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:03 pm

No complaints from me.

It's been a long time since I've seen 90 minutes go so quickly at a Walsall game. We actually gave them a game. 1-4 on paper looks like a walk over but I don't think it was. Loads of positives to take from the game on an individual level and from a team point of view.

Just like Man Utd in that FA Cup game I left Bescot last night thinking anything but, that we had lost. Which is more than I can say about Wembley.

Strange to think that the Chelsea starting 11 was probably, worth/cost more to assemble, than the whole of Walsall Football Club is worth on paper.

As some of you know I live and work down here, I got to bed at 00.30 and got up at 02.30 and promptly did a 15 hour shift, I think that puts it at 2 hours sleep in the last 36-ish and out of all the people I've interacted with today, not one Chelsea fan, or anyone else for that matter, has taken the p*ss, not one of them.

It's nights like last night that make me feel home sick and wish that I could get to more games than I actually can and do.

Loved every minute of last night, even the result.

No shame. Only pride.

Bring on the rest of the season.

P.S. Walsall 0 Crewe 5 hahaha... We all know its going to happen...

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Noggin wrote:As some of you know I live and work down here, I got to bed at 00.30 and got up at 02.30 and promptly did a 15 hour shift, I think that puts it at 2 hours sleep in the last 36-ish.

Aren't you a HGV driver Noggin? :shock: :shock:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 pm

All I can say is Sawyers is just on another level, and playing with our lot doesn't do him justice, he's too clever and too good.

You can really judge the game from the upper as oppose to the poorer view in the lower and every attack he was involved some way or another.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Darth Vader wrote:All I can say is Sawyers is just on another level, and playing with our lot doesn't do him justice, he's too clever and too good.

You can really judge the game from the upper as oppose to the poorer view in the lower and every attack he was involved some way or another.

More than an hour went by before he misplaced a pass.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Darth Vader wrote:All I can say is Sawyers is just on another level, and playing with our lot doesn't do him justice, he's too clever and too good.

That's probably the reason why I was a huge fan of Sawyers last season as well as this season. From the middle/upper you have that wider view of the pitch so appreciate what he does that little bit more. The way he creates space for others, the way he strokes the ball around the pitch, the way he's almost always involved in any good move we have. He's on a completely different level and that can be his undoing. Not so much this season because players are clicking with him now, but last season he played some spectacular through balls with nobody running onto them. If he'd had played at a higher level last season with better players people would have raved about him like they are now. It's just now we have developed into a team with other very good players who actually understand the quality Sawyers can produce. He will play for a top half Premier League side in his career guaranteed. I'd put my house on it. He's without doubt one of the best I've seen in my 15 years supporting the saddlers.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:26 pm

I would definitely agree with that, both about the view & Sawyers. I was in the 2nd row from the back of the Upper F2Go & things look differently from there. You get a different impression of the movement of the players & so on. Even so I still prefer being closer to the action!

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:56 am

The "traditional" skills and weapons of a lower league team against a higher one, of physical presence, intimidation and a pressing game restricting time on the ball, of course don't apply to us and as such in pure footballing terms there was only ever going to be one outcome.

What we needed to have any chance of running them close was a first choice line up and to play at the top of their game. The loss of Bradshaw not only diminished our goal scoring options, but also our first line of defence. Bradshaw is so effective in occupying the opposition's defence that our midfield has more time to shape up and try to deal with any threats. With the obvious exceptions of Sawyers and O'Connor (and possibly Lalkovic), no other players were able to play at the top of their game, which meant that we couldn't exert enough real pressure.

I was most surprised by the contribution from Mantom, who from virtually the first kick to the last looked completely petrified and overawed. He never got in the game and was let down by his poor control and distribution. We really needed him to be firing, but it never happened.

Demetriou took a while to realise that he was up against better players than in our league and repeatedly got caught in possession trying to dribble around players when passing would have been more sensible.

Great experience for Henry, who struggled occasionally, but also demonstrated his immense promise.

I thought it cruel to bring on Baxendale and then to see the inevitable happen when he got caught in possession leading directly to their fourth goal, although we might have expected Etheridge to have done better.

Final mention again for Sawyers who played very well and looked really enthused.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 am

It's an if, but...
if Baxendale had slipped a defender and cracked in a 25-yarder it would have kick-started his season.
For the sake of 10 minutes in a game we were always going to lose, it did no harm at all putting him on.

Cook did play better than I expected, but there again my expectations were almost zero.
He did have a go at putting himself about (most unlike him) and annoyed two international centre backs.
However, his running off the ball is non-existent at times and this is really letting him down.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:23 am

I think it is very harsh to blame Etheridge for the 4th goal. We were wide open and it was a powerful shot from just inside the box. If he had saved it I think it would have been a great save..sometimes you get a hand to those type of efforts and sometimes you don't!!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:21 am

Walsallone wrote:I think it is very harsh to blame Etheridge for the 4th goal. We were wide open and it was a powerful shot from just inside the box. If he had saved it I think it would have been a great save..sometimes you get a hand to those type of efforts and sometimes you don't!!

I don't think its harsh, it was right at him. The kind of save he'd make easily in training several times a day. The defending leading up to it was poor and left him exposed though.

He's not a bad keeper like some are trying to make out though.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Are there really people claiming Sawyers was rubbish last year? He's one of our most talented players - this season he has got even better and now shows a maturity in taking responsibility in the game.

The clowns who don't rate him are just living in cloud cuckoo land.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:02 pm

We will just have to disagree MMF on that but I do think he is a good keeper who will get better with NC's coaching.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season