Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:59 am

Well, where do you start in trying to prepare a match preview against the current Premiership Champions? There's no point in offering pen-pictures of their players as they're mostly household names already. It's the meeting of the Ginger Mourinho's, with Chelsea coming to the Banks's on the back of two successive wins following a pretty dreadful start to their League campaign which saw them in 17th place in the table after five games. A BBC commentator was asking whether their Portuguese manager would survive until January. Things are looking much rosier now though - current form:

16 Aug Manchester City (A) Premiership, Lost 3-0
23 Aug West Bromwich Albion (A) Premiership, Won 2-3
29 Aug Crystal Palace (H) Premiership, Lost 1-2
12 Sep Everton (A) Premiership, Lost 3-1
16 Sep Maccabi Tel Aviv (H) Champions League, Won 4-0
19 Sep Arsenal (H) Premiership, Won 2-0

An interesting point about their scoring ability - although Diego Costa is their leading scorer he only has 2 goals to his name. What's worrying is that 10 Chelsea players have scored in the season to date, so their threat could come from literally anywhere. Costa also has the reputation of being something of a trouble-maker on the pitch, and in yesterday's game against Arsenal he was reportedly "in the face" of the opposition right from the start both physically and verbally, sparking off the confrontation that saw Arsenal's Gabriel sent off. Arsenal finished that game with only 9 men on the field......

As usual, trying to work out Dean Smith's selections is next to impossible. Hopefully Tom Bradshaw will be fit enough to play, but personally if there is any doubt as to his fitness I would rather he was saved for the League One game against Crewe on Saturday. On recent performances Sawyers has to start but apart from the goalkeeper and back four it's a case of perming any five or six from the entire squad. We also don't know at this stage how seriously Jose Mourinho will take this competition in his team selection. Prediction? I honestly can't see us winning this one, but a scoreline of something like 2-3 would certainly not be a disgrace. One thing is for certain - we will perform much better than we did against our most recent game against Premiership opposition (that borefest v. Crystal Palace).

I bet Milan Lalkovic is looking forward to showing Chelsea what they missed out on though...... :mrgreen:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Chelsea (H) League Cup 3rd round, Wed 23 Sep 7.45pm

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:02 pm

fudge knows about the result :lol:

Here's hoping for a meaningful Walsall goal, raucous atmosphere and overall a proper battle from out lot on the pitch. Get stuck in and who knows against these Prem vaginas

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:40 pm

We will be well organised that's for sure I actually think it will be a tight game with lots of closing down from us, can see it going into ET and then chelsea will bring the big gun's on Hazard /Costa /Oscar and probably end up winning by a couple.
1-3 to Chelsea after ET, att: 10,550, 1560 Midland based chelsea fan's.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:37 pm

http://forums.cfcnet.co.uk/topic/56611- ... s-chelsea/

Chelsea fans demanding a strong team after their Bradford calamity last season.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:55 pm

otiswfc wrote:We will be well organised that's for sure I actually think it will be a tight game with lots of closing down from us, can see it going into ET and then chelsea will bring the big gun's on Hazard /Costa /Oscar and probably end up winning by a couple.

Would only be the hardcore CFC fans who got tickets with their loyalty systems and such

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
otiswfc wrote:We will be well organised that's for sure I actually think it will be a tight game with lots of closing down from us, can see it going into ET and then chelsea will bring the big gun's on Hazard /Costa /Oscar and probably end up winning by a couple.

Would only be the hardcore CFC fans who got tickets with their loyalty systems and such

I know originally yeah. But iv seen at least 100 tickets for sale on ticket exchange price's ranging from £118-£185 and I've been told other Web sites have been selling them for as much as £225. I think a few hardcore chelsea fan's have made a few quid out of this game.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:07 pm

We must be an attractive fixture :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Darth Vader wrote:We must be an attractive fixture :lol:

Or maybe some people have more money than sense?

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:22 pm

This is a game we are expected to lose no one outside our club would be surprised by a score of 0-4,
lets give it a good go start with milan and morris instead of defensive line up.

I will be happy if we give 100% as we have done in most of league game and score against them, should give them good game depending how strong team they put out.

Even a weaken team will be full of internationals and are favorites to win but would'nt it be great to take them to extra time and I can live in my fantasy world where we win until final whistle. I've seen a few shock results in 50 years watching us arsenal, man utd, newcastle etc another one would be great.

WestLondon

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:52 am

Chelsea fan here...

On the game I think it'll be tighter that a lot expect. I've been to all but Swansea at home so far this season and Palace made us look pathetic, City destroyed us, we got away with it at WBA and Arsenal were very poor. Solid against Tel Aviv but they aren't the best of sides. At Shrewsbury last season we struggled and only kicked into gear at times in the second half. Expecting a better atmosphere from you lot though and the ground is more enclosed from what i've seen than what Shrewsbury was.

As for our fans one of your posters has mentioned it... For this game it went on points and we got a 1516 allocation. Basically everyone who has been to every game including City, WBA and Everton got one for this so you won't get a half arsed support from our end!

Really looking forward to coming up on Wednesday... Should be a decent trip!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 am

Darth Vader wrote:fudge knows about the result :lol:

Here's hoping for a meaningful Walsall goal, raucous atmosphere and overall a proper battle from out lot on the pitch. Get stuck in and who knows against these Prem vaginas

Let's do a Bradford! :mrgreen:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:33 am

WestLondon wrote:Chelsea fan here...

On the game I think it'll be tighter that a lot expect. I've been to all but Swansea at home so far this season and Palace made us look pathetic, City destroyed us, we got away with it at WBA and Arsenal were very poor. Solid against Tel Aviv but they aren't the best of sides. At Shrewsbury last season we struggled and only kicked into gear at times in the second half. Expecting a better atmosphere from you lot though and the ground is more enclosed from what i've seen than what Shrewsbury was.

As for our fans one of your posters has mentioned it... For this game it went on points and we got a 1516 allocation. Basically everyone who has been to every game including City, WBA and Everton got one for this so you won't get a half arsed support from our end!

Really looking forward to coming up on Wednesday... Should be a decent trip!

Having a negative view of Shrewsbury won't do you any harm on this board :).
Welcome to Walsall, I hope you have a truly terrible time - in the nicest possible way.

In reference to the game and not related to your quoted post West London. We generally perform better against the better teams, having said that Chelsea are clearly a step above that. I'm hoping for a star performance from Lalkovic and for Sawyers to show his class too.
If we're not frightened of the game we have every chance of doing ourselves proud. Man for man if the team is galvanised and believes in oneself (unlike the Bristol City Wembley experience) then who knows what'll happen. We could play 10/10 and still lose but we'd all be proud.
The players bloody well deserve this game for their earlier scalps.

Walsall 2 - 2 Chelsea (AET)
Sawyers
Lalkovic

Walsall win 4 - 3 on penalties. :D :D :D :D UTS!!!!!!!!!

WestLondon

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 am

If I'm honest about Shrewsbury... I really disliked it. Ground is in the middle of nowhere and it's your bog standard modern day lower league ground with no character to it at all. Their fans weren't that loud and it pissed it down all afternoon/evening.

Bradford showed us what happens if you give it a go against us and they more than deserved to beat us. Think we'll win but it'll be nervy. 2-1 to us after being 1-0 at half time for me. But expect a fairly strong team from us as we tend to respect the cups and the opposition we face. Reckon you'll get something like 4 or 5 changes but not much more than that. Watch out for Loftus Cheek who I hope plays... A really top youngster who could cause you lots of problems in midfield. That Lalkovic looks a talent. Whatever club first taught him what he knows must be a very good one ;)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 pm

3-0 win for Chelsea.

I dont fancy our defence against the inevitable pacey african academy players.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:10 pm

WestLondon wrote:If I'm honest about Shrewsbury... I really disliked it. Ground is in the middle of nowhere and it's your bog standard modern day lower league ground with no character to it at all. Their fans weren't that loud and it pissed it down all afternoon/evening.

Bradford showed us what happens if you give it a go against us and they more than deserved to beat us. Think we'll win but it'll be nervy. 2-1 to us after being 1-0 at half time for me. But expect a fairly strong team from us as we tend to respect the cups and the opposition we face. Reckon you'll get something like 4 or 5 changes but not much more than that. Watch out for Loftus Cheek who I hope plays... A really top youngster who could cause you lots of problems in midfield. That Lalkovic looks a talent. Whatever club first taught him what he knows must be a very good one ;)

What MFK Košice?! (Thanks Wikipedia) :)

Disgustingly (I suppose as a Walsall fan) I'd be quite happy with a 2 - 1 reverse.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Darth Vader wrote:We must be an attractive fixture :lol:

they're keen to give terry a decent send off.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:30 pm

WestLondon wrote:If I'm honest about Shrewsbury... I really disliked it. Ground is in the middle of nowhere and it's your bog standard modern day lower league ground with no character to it at all.

Don't get your hopes up too much... :wink:

Anyway, if you get the chance pay £2 and go to the Saddlers Club. You will be made more than welcome and the beer is fairly cheap [by London standards anyway].

Enjoy your night, at least the 1,500 Chelsea fans who are there will be 'proper' ones. Your last two visits resulted in 5-0 and 3-0 wins so I'm hoping for an improvement this time. We gave you a fright at Fellows Park in 1984/5 though [a late equaliser for you in a 2-2 draw] - let's hope we can do so again.

UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:43 pm

I get the feeling Bradshaw wont start - if he's tweaked his groin he'll probably be on the bench.

I imagine Lalkovic will start up front, with Morris and Cook on the wings.

Just a hunch

As for Chelsea, we know Terry and Falcao will start, but who else?

Oxsall

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:09 pm

Re Terry and Falcoa, the Mirror reports it as: "John Terry is facing the humiliation of playing for Chelsea’s second-string side in their Capital One Cup tie at Walsall." http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... vs-6482891

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Well it is a humiliation, of sorts.

As a senior, important first team player, a game like this would have been a night off for him.

Now he's not that player anymore they'll use it to keep him match fit.

As for the rest of the Chelsea team, here is the team that played Shrewsbury away last season:

P Cech
K Zouma
A Christensen
Filipe Luis
G Cahill
M Salah (N Matic, 80)
N Ake
J Mikel (Willian, 80)
Oscar (E Hazard, 89)
A Schurrle
D Drogba

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:42 pm

WestLondon wrote:If I'm honest about Shrewsbury... I really disliked it. Ground is in the middle of nowhere and it's your bog standard modern day lower league ground with no character to it at all. Their fans weren't that loud and it pissed it down all afternoon/evening.

Oh dear :lol:

If you disliked Shrewsbury's ground your going to hate our Biscuit Tin , enjoy the stanchions.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 pm

One of the Chelsea fans on that forum thinks the only reason they lost to Bradford was because Mourinho threw the game on purpose!

Clearly inconceivable a team from the 'best league in the world' could just be fairly beaten by a third division side.

Bit of a weird one this, it will be enjoyable for the novelty factor, but it's lacking a bit in the excitement stakes for me. Maybe it's because I don't care if we lose, as the excitement for a big name normally contains a bit of nervousness that we might lose too.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Looking forward to the game itself, nothing else. Plastics in the away end, plastics in the home ends...

Nothing annoys me more than plastics walking around anally wanting to sit in their designated seat so they can talk about the opposition's players.

usa_saddler

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Was pleased to see us draw Chelsea - for one reason - the match will air on Thursday night at 10 PM CST on BEIN Sports here in US. With it being televised a day late it will be impossible not to know the outcome of the game - but any chance to see the Super Saddlers in action is great....

Just want the lads to have a good showing and keep the game fairly close. After being at Wembley last season I just want to see the team show up, play a hard game, and make Chelsea earn a result. Thinking with my heart 2-1 win in extra time to the Saddlers on a 25 yard rifle shot from Sawyers, but realistically I would like to see us stay within 2 goals and score at least one.

UTS!

PT
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:14 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Looking forward to the game itself, nothing else. Plastics in the away end, plastics in the home ends...

Nothing annoys me more than plastics walking around anally wanting to sit in their designated seat so they can talk about the opposition's players.

Bit harsh but know what you mean.

Despite losing, I really enjoyed Chesterfield away last year. After all the ballyhoo of Wembley it was a blessed relief to be back to the usual 400.

Crewe on Saturday will be the same. Unless of course we get through.....which is beyond dreamy.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:35 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I get the feeling Bradshaw wont start - if he's tweaked his groin he'll probably be on the bench.

I imagine Lalkovic will start up front, with Morris and Cook on the wings.

Just a hunch

As for Chelsea, we know Terry and Falcao will start, but who else?

I'd imagine the team will be along the lines of:

Begovic/Blackman

Aina (Debut)
Terry
Djilobodji (Debut)
Baba Rahman

Loftus-Cheek
Mikel/Ramires

Kenedy
Oscar
Traore

Falcao

Although there is some talk about playing Hazard in an attempt to get him back into form. :shock:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:45 pm

usa_saddler wrote:Was pleased to see us draw Chelsea - for one reason - the match will air on Thursday night at 10 PM CST on BEIN Sports here in US. With it being televised a day late it will be impossible not to know the outcome of the game - but any chance to see the Super Saddlers in action is great....

Just want the lads to have a good showing and keep the game fairly close. After being at Wembley last season I just want to see the team show up, play a hard game, and make Chelsea earn a result. Thinking with my heart 2-1 win in extra time to the Saddlers on a 25 yard rifle shot from Sawyers, but realistically I would like to see us stay within 2 goals and score at least one.

UTS!

I think the wife and I met up with you at Wembley, outside the ground where we asked YOU if you knew where the Green Man pub was :oops: and then again At the Green Man itself.
I hope we make a better job of Wednesday night than we did with the capitulation at Wembley!!
It was great to meet you incidentally, good to see that our support is indeed 'international'! :D :D

Noggin
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:36 pm

If there is a God, please let it not be like Wembley.

If there is a God, and we are to lose, let it be like Man Utd away in the FA Cup, when after we were beaten good and proper, I bounced down the road after the game full of pride for my team.

There is no shame in loosing, only shame in the way one choses to lose...

I've got to travel back to London after the game so the chance to actually make that journey with my head held high would be nice...

usa_saddler

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
usa_saddler wrote:Was pleased to see us draw Chelsea - for one reason - the match will air on Thursday night at 10 PM CST on BEIN Sports here in US. With it being televised a day late it will be impossible not to know the outcome of the game - but any chance to see the Super Saddlers in action is great....

UTS!

I think the wife and I met up with you at Wembley, outside the ground where we asked YOU if you knew where the Green Man pub was :oops: and then again At the Green Man itself.
I hope we make a better job of Wednesday night than we did with the capitulation at Wembley!!
It was great to meet you incidentally, good to see that our support is indeed 'international'! :D :D

Ancient Moaner - you are indeed correct. My father and I ran into you early on the morning of the match outside the ground. It was also a pleasure to meet you and your wife along with others that frequent "Up the Saddlers". While Wembley was not the match that we had all hoped for, I had not been to a Walsall match since Jan 1999 when I watched us play to a 1-1 tie at home against Manchester City so I enjoyed both the Sheffield United home match and then going to Wembley for the first time.

I have now figured out that I can watch the game live on BEIN Connect (or so I have been led to believe) so I will have to schedule a closed door meeting at work for that afternoon :mrgreen:

Its good to see the start we have had this year - hopefully things will continue!!!!!!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:52 pm

usa_saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

UTS!

Ancient Moaner - you are indeed correct. My father and I ran into you early on the morning of the match outside the ground. It was also a pleasure to meet you and your wife along with others that frequent "Up the Saddlers". While Wembley was not the match that we had all hoped for, I had not been to a Walsall match since Jan 1999 when I watched us play to a 1-1 tie at home against Manchester City so I enjoyed both the Sheffield United home match and then going to Wembley for the first time.

I have now figured out that I can watch the game live on BEIN Connect (or so I have been led to believe) so I will have to schedule a closed door meeting at work for that afternoon :mrgreen:

Its good to see the start we have had this year - hopefully things will continue!!!!!!

Looks like it'll just be you and I on this board whilst the game is on in which case. Although USA is perhaps a better excuse than Southampton. I'll be hunting a stream on the day! UTS!

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season