Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (A) League One, 19th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Re: Peterborough United (A) League One, 19th Sept, 3pm

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Very good report Phil to help those of us who couldn't make it to the game.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Very average performance from both teams, I was particularly disappointed with the number of times we gave the ball away after doing all the hard work either winning it or getting into a decent position. Mantom was poor in the first half, I don't think the system Smithout was playing today suits him neither do I think that his plan of playing Rico in front of Taylor essentially as a winger is worth while. He's not a winger, yet?, I thought he was a fullback primarily who is brilliant going forward but for most of the first half he spent the majority of the time either waiting for a pass or scurrying back and forth trying to get involved. Why not play Morris from the start or Lalkovic? Bit worried about Bradshaw, he was holding his groin just before he went off.

Good performances from Sawyers, O'Connor, Demetriou and Etheridge who unfortunately gave away the penalty but none the less is the most confidence inspiring keeper we've had in a long time, credit for his signing.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:03 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Well, how we didn't come away with 3 points today - I really don't know.

First half was a pretty even affair, we were slow out of the blocks, playing quite poorly it has to be said. Flanagan struggled, Rico and Bradshaw weren't getting a touch. But having said that, Peterborough never really threatened with O'Connor and Downing solid at the back.

The way we're playing though, there was a quiet confidence we'd come back out after half time as the stronger side, and we did.

2nd half we played them off the park - Sawyers scored a cracker, akin to his goal at Blackpool, but probably better, and nearly set up Bradshaw for a 2nd. Sawyers was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, at times he was running the game.

Then there was this weird sending off. I didn't see it, but according to hearsay the chap who got sent off was sent off because he threw his water bottle at the Walsall bench. The ref didnt see it, it was the 4th official that spotted it and told the ref. This resulted in a 5 minute delay to proceedings whilst the ref sent him off and the player rather ungraciously remonstrated with everyone.

This 5 minute delay did us in IMO, we were on top and cruising to victory. Then this happened and we switched off, long ball over the top, think it was Demetriou who failed to get much on the header and Etheridge came out and bundled over their forward. No complaints about the penalty, it was just totally against the run of play.

After that, we still created a couple of chances, and Mantom hit the bar.

On the way out, overheard Peterborough fans saying it was a fair result - I was walking away wondering how we'd not won the game at a canter - think Etheridge made one save and picked the ball out of the net.

There's 2 good signs in this performance:

1) We played poorly, and still picked up a point. Mantom had a poor game, Cook and Lalkovic offered little when they came on, and the first half performance was poor already.

2) A draw felt like a defeat - thats how far we've come.

Bradshaw came off with a groin strain, which will make it interesting to see whether Smith risks him on Wednesday night.

In fairness to Smith, he took Flanagan off at 1-0 and brought on Lalkovic and Forde, presumably trying to finish Peterborough off. This opened up a lot more space in the middle, which gave Boro a lot more of the ball.

I'd have taken a point, but we deserved to win that game.

On another bad day for referees - a word for today's ref...

One fella gets sent off for throwing a bottle, then minutes later, their little dwarf bloke who played on the wing went through the back of Rico and then shortly after, went through the back of Sawyers - not a single yellow card!!

I just think refs need to get back to basics, stop worrying about off the field antics and whether a player has both feet off the ground because they're starting to miss the most simplest of decisions they're there to make.

would that be john taylor phil, he definatly deserved a booking.
really hope we can loan a striker, cook is not the answer were ever smith plays him

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:53 pm

We were far too casual in the first half which was a pretty drab affair. Mantom was especially disappointing. Some of our crossing was abysmal.
Things really perked up in the 2nd half though, I thought Sawyer's goal was even better than the Blackpool one and he was easily man of the match. That was the most bizarre sending off I've seen in my 63 years. Thought he was chucking the water bottle back towards their bench and accidentally overdid it. You would not have thought they were down to 10 men though - I'm not sure whether a sense of grievance got them going a bit more. The penalty looked a right mess from our point of view, even so (apart from this incident) I really like the way that Etheridge commands his box. We could have won it at the death with the Sawyers shot & Mantom hitting the bar.
2 points dropped in the end I think but I never imagined at the start of the season that we would be where we are!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Well, how we didn't come away with 3 points today - I really don't know.

First half was a pretty even affair, we were slow out of the blocks, playing quite poorly it has to be said. Flanagan struggled, Rico and Bradshaw weren't getting a touch. But having said that, Peterborough never really threatened with O'Connor and Downing solid at the back.

The way we're playing though, there was a quiet confidence we'd come back out after half time as the stronger side, and we did.

2nd half we played them off the park - Sawyers scored a cracker, akin to his goal at Blackpool, but probably better, and nearly set up Bradshaw for a 2nd. Sawyers was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, at times he was running the game.

Then there was this weird sending off. I didn't see it, but according to hearsay the chap who got sent off was sent off because he threw his water bottle at the Walsall bench. The ref didnt see it, it was the 4th official that spotted it and told the ref. This resulted in a 5 minute delay to proceedings whilst the ref sent him off and the player rather ungraciously remonstrated with everyone.

This 5 minute delay did us in IMO, we were on top and cruising to victory. Then this happened and we switched off, long ball over the top, think it was Demetriou who failed to get much on the header and Etheridge came out and bundled over their forward. No complaints about the penalty, it was just totally against the run of play.

After that, we still created a couple of chances, and Mantom hit the bar.

On the way out, overheard Peterborough fans saying it was a fair result - I was walking away wondering how we'd not won the game at a canter - think Etheridge made one save and picked the ball out of the net.

There's 2 good signs in this performance:

1) We played poorly, and still picked up a point. Mantom had a poor game, Cook and Lalkovic offered little when they came on, and the first half performance was poor already.

2) A draw felt like a defeat - thats how far we've come.

Bradshaw came off with a groin strain, which will make it interesting to see whether Smith risks him on Wednesday night.

In fairness to Smith, he took Flanagan off at 1-0 and brought on Lalkovic and Forde, presumably trying to finish Peterborough off. This opened up a lot more space in the middle, which gave Boro a lot more of the ball.

I'd have taken a point, but we deserved to win that game.

On another bad day for referees - a word for today's ref...

One fella gets sent off for throwing a bottle, then minutes later, their little dwarf bloke who played on the wing went through the back of Rico and then shortly after, went through the back of Sawyers - not a single yellow card!!

I just think refs need to get back to basics, stop worrying about off the field antics and whether a player has both feet off the ground because they're starting to miss the most simplest of decisions they're there to make.

would that be john taylor phil, he definatly deserved a booking.
really hope we can loan a striker, cook is not the answer were ever smith plays him
but smith loves him. and his attitude is second to none. and he has scored 4 goals in the reserves. come on :wink: and i thought you had to be a good proven goalscorer in the first team to get a contract with a club with such a small budget :cry:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:47 pm

What a hit from Sawyers, he is stepping up big time this season, excellent stuff.

Yeah error from Etheridge for the penalty, infact it should've just been headed away in the first place but Downing (?) messed up. After Etheridge initially came off his line to close down he should've backtracked towards the line as there were enough defenders back, instead he stuck around and the Posh forward drew the foul, just a poor decision.

SWS1

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Those lucky people who have actually attended all our games so far, correct me if I'm wrong but, given that all the games have not necessarily been classics and we have not necessarily marmelised all the opposition, from the stats on the BBC and the reports we get back from the lucky attenders, would it be true to say that
WE HAVE NOT ACTUALLY DESERVED TO LOSE ANY OF THE GAMES WE'VE PLAYED THIS SEASON
and
WE SHOULD PROBABLY HAVE WON THE GAMES WE'VE LOST (Morecambe and Bury) AND PROBABLY THE GAMES WEVE DRAWN (Oldham and Posh)?

Now, I know football doesn't work like that, but if it did, WOULD I BE JUSTIFIED IN THINKING WE COULD - AND PERHAPS SHOULD - HAVE WON ALL OUR GAMES THIS SEASON?

If so, that's one helluva start to the season.

Do tell me if this is true or whether I am living in cloud cuckoo land.
You could make it a vote, if you like. :mrgreen:

Do you know, this straitjacket makes it damn difficult to type.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:27 pm

I think you are absolutely right, and I hope they let you out soon...

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:28 pm

SWS1 wrote:Those lucky people who have actually attended all our games so far, correct me if I'm wrong but, given that all the games have not necessarily been classics and we have not necessarily marmelised all the opposition, from the stats on the BBC and the reports we get back from the lucky attenders, would it be true to say that
WE HAVE NOT ACTUALLY DESERVED TO LOSE ANY OF THE GAMES WE'VE PLAYED THIS SEASON
and
WE SHOULD PROBABLY HAVE WON THE GAMES WE'VE LOST (Morecambe and Bury) AND PROBABLY THE GAMES WEVE DRAWN (Oldham and Posh)?

Now, I know football doesn't work like that, but if it did, WOULD I BE JUSTIFIED IN THINKING WE COULD - AND PERHAPS SHOULD - HAVE WON ALL OUR GAMES THIS SEASON?

If so, that's one helluva start to the season.

Do tell me if this is true or whether I am living in cloud cuckoo land.
You could make it a vote, if you like. :mrgreen:

Do you know, this straitjacket makes it damn difficult to type.
i think you need cuffing as well :lol:

nickisposh

Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:35 pm

The sending off was ridiculous. Anderson was return the bottle to the Posh coaching staff. They didn't catch it and it hit a Posh fan. Miles away from the Walsall bench.

Nothing 'ungracious' about it. The decision was absurd.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:36 pm

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:21 am

Sawyers is class. If you think he's average then you don't understand the game.

Decent point but should have won it.

On to Wednesday!!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks "phil" for the extensive report...as Super Gabor says helps those of us who don't get to away games. One point in Dean's after match comments on WM(brief though they were...WM had bigger fish to fry!) he was really upset at the dropping of the points..he echoed many comments on here that it was 2 points lost! He wasn't happy with the corner we took prior to the goal or the mix up at the back which he called naive.
We are however doing well and as has been pointed out above statistically we should have won every match on time on the ball,chances created etc, but unfortunately there is only one statistic thats counts !!! as Man. City found out yesterday as well.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 am

Sorry for second post...not sure what is going on...but both my computer and me are getting on!!!!

(Edit - sorted...nothing to worry about, duplication of posts is common with this board system!!) :D
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tidied up ;-)

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:36 am

nickisposh wrote:The sending off was ridiculous. Anderson was return the bottle to the Posh coaching staff. They didn't catch it and it hit a Posh fan. Miles away from the Walsall bench.

Trouble is it was "returned" like an Exocet. Like someone has already mentioned it could have took an eye out.
Daft sending off I agree, but would you be happy if that bottle had hit your child?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:54 am

Wragbyred wrote:
nickisposh wrote:The sending off was ridiculous. Anderson was return the bottle to the Posh coaching staff. They didn't catch it and it hit a Posh fan. Miles away from the Walsall bench.

Trouble is it was "returned" like an Exocet. Like someone has already mentioned it could have took an eye out.
Daft sending off I agree, but would you be happy if that bottle had hit your child?

Ridiculous. A complete accident and both player and manager apologised instantly. It was an accident nothing more.

Took an eye out lol

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Posh appointing Westley as manager. :lol: :lol: :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:09 pm

The ungracious ness was in his reaction, remonstrating with the ref, linesman and fourth official. I hate that aspect of the modern game - you don't see rugby or cricket players arguing in a intimidatory way with officials.

nickisposh

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:13 pm

Oh come off it. It was a complete accident, nothing dangerous about it, no intent.

I would have been livid if I had been sent off for returning a bottle to the sidelines.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:18 pm

nickisposh wrote:Oh come off it. It was a complete accident, nothing dangerous about it, no intent.

I would have been livid if I had been sent off for returning a bottle to the sidelines.

It will be interesting to see (a) if Peterborough appeal against the red card, and (b) if they do, whether they're successful.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks Welsh-perhaps I am not so daft after all.........or perhaps I am :D

PatMcD

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:59 pm

A report from a Posh fan's perspective, if any of you are interested.

http://thepeterboroughdefect.com/2015/0 ... -have-won/

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Just looked on Bradshaws Twitter page to see if there was any mention of his injury, which there wasn't but there are a couple of tweets sent that suggests he's in a chipper mood, I know if there was a chance of missing the Chelsea game I wouldn't be so happy.

Let's hope the reading between the lines is correct.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:36 pm

nickisposh wrote:Oh come off it. It was a complete accident, nothing dangerous about it, no intent.

Looking forward to "medal winner" directing operations? :wink:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Graham Westley. :lol:

Biggest twerp in football management and plays the shitiest style of football imaginable.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

It will be interesting to see (a) if Peterborough appeal against the red card, and (b) if they do, whether they're successful.

If they appeal the FA will ask for evidence that the report from the 4th official was incorrect. Evidence like a video of the incident.
Problem No 1. There was only one camera in action at the time and if channel 5 had got video of the incident then they would have showed it on TV Saturday night.
Evidence from a fan in the stand? You're joking right? The FA will take no notice at all if a Peterborough supporter gives evidence to support not banning a Peterborough player. It's called bias.
The 4th Official is supposedly impartial and that's why the FA will believe him. The referee obviously did not see the incident so will make no comment other than to note the fuss the player made when he was sent off. Which will only make matters worse.

The 4th Official will say that the player threw his water bottle with some force into the crowd. End of story. The FA will throw the book at him. Whether it was accidental or not. You just cannot get away with that.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Wragbyred wrote:

no, but my mood would brighten the moment my team went down to 10 men because of it.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:12 am

Graham westley :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:55 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Graham westley :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"My kids don't call me Dad. They call me medal winner."

G. Westley

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:19 am

PatMcD wrote:A report from a Posh fan's perspective, if any of you are interested.

http://thepeterboroughdefect.com/2015/0 ... -have-won/

Instead, here's Graham Westley with your BFH. Enjoy!

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season