Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (A) League One, 19th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Re: Peterborough United (A) League One, 19th Sept, 3pm

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:39 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Mrdollabill wrote:I know it nots Walsall but Leicester what is going on with them recently!? 2-0 down now at 2-2 thats some team talk they have been getting at half time the past two weeks!!!

Last week was only Villa :|

True :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Bury 1 Port Vale 0

Rochdale 1 Scunthorpe 1 now

Substitution - Forde on for Andy Taylor.....that's an interesting one!! (to run the clock down???)

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Red card for posh. J Anderson sent off.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Borough down to 10 :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Peterborough down to 10 men - Anderson red-carded........

Peterborough now have a penalty!!!!!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:46 pm

1-1 bollocks

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Bollocks 1–1

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

1-1 fudge sake

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:51 pm

cack the bed :evil:

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Mantom just hit the bar :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Mantom shot hits the bar - too little, too late, and full time it's 1-1.

But as was said at half-time, I think we would gladly have taken a point from this one...

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:55 pm

FT 1-1

Mantom hit bar at the death :evil:

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:56 pm

We should of won being 0-1 up! But as said to start with would take a point and happy with second. Keep us out of those messy playoff games at the end of the season :wink:

Mick Kearns wasn't happy at all!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Sign that we're doing well when you feel a bit disappointed with a point at Posh.

Having taken the lead, a man advantage and with a corner, you do wonder how a matter of seconds later we concede a penalty.

Worrying news about Bradshaw going off injured. If there is any doubt, he shouldn't play on Wednesday. Next Saturday is far, far more important.

Good point today but if we're to maintain our lofty perch a win next week is vital.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:59 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Just got in..............Flanagan in, Milan & Morris warming the bench? What a muppet decision!
He just HAS to put on 2/3 extra stone before he will ever become a Third Division player, opposition only have to blow on him to topple him out of a tackle.

Don't you ever learn Ancient :lol: :lol: :(

Don't quite understand your point there Chester? :?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:01 pm

18 shots of which 8 on target. Woodwork hit twice.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Good result could have gone top but would have took a draw before the game.
Only 387 walsall fan's apparently very bad that is for how well we're doing.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:06 pm

cack turnout really isn't it that, I'd of gone if I could but haven't the funds.

Seems what we are doing isn't wiping the cobwebs away just yet

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Just got in..............Flanagan in, Milan & Morris warming the bench? What a muppet decision!
He just HAS to put on 2/3 extra stone before he will ever become a Third Division player, opposition only have to blow on him to topple him out of a tackle.

Don't you ever learn Ancient :lol: :lol: :(

Don't quite understand your point there Chester? :?

Last week you posted this a few minutes before we scored.

"Has Mr. Smith been booked into the local asylum? Cook? instead of Milan?"

This week it's Smith's decision to play Flanagan ahead of Morris/Lalkovic, again posted just before we scored. :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:17 pm

I would have settled for a point beforehand but it really sounds like we should have won it. I'm not too disappointed but we really have to start taking some of the chances that come our way. A slightly disappointing away following after what I thought was a very poor home attendance last week.

Fingers crossed that Bradshaw is okay for midweek and next Saturday.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Should have took the three points but can't be disappointed with a point at Posh. We march on.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:25 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I would have settled for a point beforehand but it really sounds like we should have won it. I'm not too disappointed but we really have to start taking some of the chances that come our way. A slightly disappointing away following after what I thought was a very poor home attendance last week.

Not at all arsed about midweek. Next Saturday is the biggie even though half of our midweek support will melt away between the two games.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Robbed ourselves. One silly mistake letting the ball bounce and a goalkeeper who went bonkers lost is the points. Feels like a defeat walking out the ground.

Ref was cack. Amusing sending off. Absolutely ridiculous.

We played well enough and if the game was 100 minutes long we would have won.

Jordan Cook is still a pub player.

Peterborough's wooden seats cripple your spine.

Chelsea will smash us but who cares

UTS

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:30 pm

That was definitely 2 points dropped, unfortunately they had a player sent off which lifted the crowd and their players.
For some reason after being under no real pressure all game with three at the back, Smith changed it and went four at the back and they had more room down our left, and we came under pressure.
Oh well we didn't lose, Sawyers scored a peach, same as his second at Blackpool but probably better,
Henry was class again, and Demitriou is too good for this division let alone Walsall

Oh,and a note about the clowns behind me who kept hanging on about Flanaghan having a nightmare?
Obviously Mantom is not on your little hit list :roll:

Forgot to add, don't worry about Bradshaw, it looked like he just felt something in his groin, taken of as a precaution.
Last edited by Wragbyred on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:40 pm

PT wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:I would have settled for a point beforehand but it really sounds like we should have won it. I'm not too disappointed but we really have to start taking some of the chances that come our way. A slightly disappointing away following after what I thought was a very poor home attendance last week.

Not at all arsed about midweek. Next Saturday is the biggie even though half of our midweek support will melt away between the two games.

I'd prefer him to be fit for both to be honest, but I take your point about Saturday and our support.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Well that has to be a disappointment not to win when you're one up with 5 left and the opposition are down to 10.

Still it's another point on the board, still in automatic places and still with much to look forward to this season.

I assume the Bradshaw injury was hamstrings again, I would like Wednesday's game to be cometitive at least so really hope he's fit.

If there's any issue with him, then to me I'd go straight out and get a loan forward in as with the way the season has started I really don't want a winless run to start up with Jordan Cook "leading the line."

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:40 pm

We really should have won this. I think Sam and Rico had poor first halves. Sawyers goal was a blinder. He really put his laces through it, but scuffed another chance a few minutes later.

Mantom hits the bar in injury time. If only he had kept it down. Tom going off with a groin strain is a big worry for me. Etheridge really gave away a bad pen came out dropped to the floor and punched the ball away on the floor their man went to collect it and he pulled him down while still on the floor. Lots of our defenders around who could have handled the situation.

Next Saturday v Crewe is going to be very important. They won today so will be flying but I think they will know that they only have to come and park the bus and we will find it very hard to break them down.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:56 pm

oh well a little disappointed that we couldn't take all three points. but that shows how far we have come. i can't understand ford's decision to put the ball in the goalkeepers hands to set up their goal?. surely with only 5 mins to go. with a corner. you play it back and keep it :? i think smith will give him a lecture in the dressing room. i would play the kids on wednesday and give the pros a rest. why not? other top teams do it :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Well, how we didn't come away with 3 points today - I really don't know.

First half was a pretty even affair, we were slow out of the blocks, playing quite poorly it has to be said. Flanagan struggled, Rico and Bradshaw weren't getting a touch. But having said that, Peterborough never really threatened with O'Connor and Downing solid at the back.

The way we're playing though, there was a quiet confidence we'd come back out after half time as the stronger side, and we did.

2nd half we played them off the park - Sawyers scored a cracker, akin to his goal at Blackpool, but probably better, and nearly set up Bradshaw for a 2nd. Sawyers was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, at times he was running the game.

Then there was this weird sending off. I didn't see it, but according to hearsay the chap who got sent off was sent off because he threw his water bottle at the Walsall bench. The ref didnt see it, it was the 4th official that spotted it and told the ref. This resulted in a 5 minute delay to proceedings whilst the ref sent him off and the player rather ungraciously remonstrated with everyone.

This 5 minute delay did us in IMO, we were on top and cruising to victory. Then this happened and we switched off, long ball over the top, think it was Demetriou who failed to get much on the header and Etheridge came out and bundled over their forward. No complaints about the penalty, it was just totally against the run of play.

After that, we still created a couple of chances, and Mantom hit the bar.

On the way out, overheard Peterborough fans saying it was a fair result - I was walking away wondering how we'd not won the game at a canter - think Etheridge made one save and picked the ball out of the net.

There's 2 good signs in this performance:

1) We played poorly, and still picked up a point. Mantom had a poor game, Cook and Lalkovic offered little when they came on, and the first half performance was poor already.

2) A draw felt like a defeat - thats how far we've come.

Bradshaw came off with a groin strain, which will make it interesting to see whether Smith risks him on Wednesday night.

In fairness to Smith, he took Flanagan off at 1-0 and brought on Lalkovic and Forde, presumably trying to finish Peterborough off. This opened up a lot more space in the middle, which gave Boro a lot more of the ball.

I'd have taken a point, but we deserved to win that game.

On another bad day for referees - a word for today's ref...

One fella gets sent off for throwing a bottle, then minutes later, their little dwarf bloke who played on the wing went through the back of Rico and then shortly after, went through the back of Sawyers - not a single yellow card!!

I just think refs need to get back to basics, stop worrying about off the field antics and whether a player has both feet off the ground because they're starting to miss the most simplest of decisions they're there to make.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:43 pm

How the fudge have we not won that?

Their sending off was hilarious, ridiculous decision.

Poor mistake by Etheridge for their goal, not sure what he was thinking.

Felt like a loss, oh well on to Chelsea. Tom's injury, thankfully, looked like something in his groin or higher and not in his hamstrings. My undoctored prediction is he will miss Chelsea but be fit for Crwho.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season