Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (H) League One, 12 Sept 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SWS1

Re: Doncaster Rovers (H) League One, 12 Sept 3pm

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:22 pm

GREAT result! TB showing he is one BIG asset. Very chuffed to see our league position.
Despite TB's immense contribution, it's so good to see the rest of the team playing so well and weighing in with the odd goal :D
EXCELSIOR!
:D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Pretty mediocre performance I thought, first half was a very dull affair, almost felt like it was being played in slow motion.

Second half we started getting balls over the top that were causing Butler and MacKenzie all sorts of problems, but it had an essense of Bury against it. 1 big difference, we defended well first half with Demetriou and Etheridge showing how important they are to the team (Even though I do rate MacGillivray). So we went into the second half all square meaning Donny couldn't stick 10 men behind the ball if they wanted to go on and nick it, and that helped create more space for us to create half chances like our first that Tom fudge cracked in - excellent goal.

Felt Deano made the right substitutions and played for the most part the correct kind of system, Rico had a quiet game and Milan was blowing out his arse so they came off and Morris and Cook in their place did alright too.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:47 pm

SUPER fudge TOM.

Looked a nailed on 0-0. They shaded the first, we were the better team in the 2nd thanks to (a) Smith switching to 4 at the back then (b) making one good substitution in Morris (who made some space with his runs) and then Cook (who infuriates the fudge out of me). Good, intelligent switches.

The first a screamer, puts a breakaway a foot wide from a narrow angle under loads of pressure, then takes the piss out of Everest in goal with a sublime chip all in 5 or 6 minutes after working his balls off all game. If Bonser takes less than £2million for Bradshaw into his pension pot, somebody needs to buy a Stinger missile to shoot the fudge helicopter down! Keep him for the year and its starting to look good.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:06 pm

Had 0-0 all over the first 45. Second half I thought we deserved it. Tom's finishes were both sublime. He's utter class. Two chances two goals. Have it!!

Sawyers seemed to be marked out of the game for the first half an hour but then started to pull the strings. One pass to Demetriou was absolute WORLD class. Outside of his foot first time ... If David Silva or Messi had done that the world would rave about it.

Downing and O'Conner looked okay defending but their distribution was very poor at times.

Fullbacks were okay, Demetriou was definately more effective than Rico. Thought we bossed the midfield for the majority of the game.

6/7 out of 10 for everyone apart from Etheridge and Bradshaw who I'd give 8s.

Deserved 3 points. Deano got it right with his substitutions and formation change in the second half.

UTS

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:18 pm

They were playing for a 0-0 and we just went for it the last 20, can't say fairer than that by Deano. What a terrible first 70 mind, they should've taken the lead fairly early on.

Sawyers was absolutely class, Ben the caller on WM who thinks Sawyers just passes Sideways....right ok mate sound.

As for WM, let me know where Tonka lives as I'll drop a rope round for him the clown.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Great result, I had genuinely given it up as a 0-0, then checked a few minutes later to confirm where we stood in the League after a 0-0 draw, and fudge me, it comes up 2-0 to us!!! :D :D :D
Get the fudge in, as someone said above, last year it WOULD have ended 0-0, this year there's an obvious difference, they don't seem capable of giving up.
MP Saddler my friend, it looks like your forecast is down the swanney with only 7 matches played!
Walsall F.C. are in an automatic promotion spot...don't know whether anyone has noticed? :mrgreen:

BeardedSwift

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Well, that had nil nil all over it until super Tom popped up at the end - both goals were class!
Is it just me or there really some kind of law that states that the longer Downing dwells on the ball the less likely he is to pass to someone wearing the same colour shirt.
Also, a nod to Sawyers today who seemed to act as a bit of a peace maker between O'Connor & Milan (who definitely had his arse in his hands over some of the distribution in the first half). I was a little defused over the substitution of Henry - but that just shows how much I know :wink:

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Gripper wrote:They were playing for a 0-0 and we just went for it the last 20, can't say fairer than that by Deano. What a terrible first 70 mind, they should've taken the lead fairly early on.

Sawyers was absolutely class, Ben the caller on WM who thinks Sawyers just passes Sideways....right ok mate sound.

As for WM, let me know where Tonka lives as I'll drop a rope round for him the clown.

Sawyers IS absolutely class and I really do pity those folk who still can't see it!

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:59 pm

Well-bRed wrote:
Gripper wrote:They were playing for a 0-0 and we just went for it the last 20, can't say fairer than that by Deano. What a terrible first 70 mind, they should've taken the lead fairly early on.

Sawyers IS absolutely class and I really do pity those folk who still can't see it!

He really is and I really do.

Bit lazy at times though :lol:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Great to get the win. Shows how important it is that we have a good finisher in the side. Super TOM.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:19 pm

I think this was a really important win because for the majority of the game we just didn't have enough guile to prise them open and create any really good opportunities, but thankfully they were rewarded late on with two well taken goals.
We were too open at times with the three at the back formation and could have been punished in a similar way to the Bury game.
I think Sawyers was very good today and the defined deeper position suited him.
Lalkovic, on the other hand, struggled in the forward role and was less effective than when out wide.
Chambers did a superb job in breaking up Doncaster play and then distributing the ball simply.
Bradshaw thoroughly deserved his rewards for the ceaseless work he did both on and off the ball.
I was not convinced by the overall performance, but if we can achieve a decent percentage of wins at home this season we could end up very high in the table.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Unsung hero for me is Adam Chambers, that man is immense in my opinion. He was always in the right place at the right time, he slots in to defence when required to sure us up then breaks forward to give an option in the middle at all times to keep the ball moving.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Well-bRed wrote:

This, that pass to Hewitt that was mentioned had pure class written all over it.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Good win in the end but except for last 15 mins a poor performance thought first half probably worst display of season with reminders of last season ,crab football ,no movement and never looked like scoring.
Improved second half although donny still seemed to be making best chances but not able to finish then came last 15 mins where we came alive and Bradshaw got his goals ,both well deserved his second a great finish much harder than it looked.
Etheridge well worth man of the match making 3 great saves to keep us in game, both him and Demetrio made welcome returns to show how we missed them in last 2 games.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:51 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

This, that pass to Hewitt that was mentioned had pure class written all over it.

I think most people agree on that now.

The ones who don't are so set in their ways they wont admit it - one bloke by me picks on him for everything. Sawyers gave Bradshaw a great ball... Bradshaw did nothing with it and he applauded Bradshaw. The amazing outside of the boot ball... not a mention from him, a great through ball in the first half... nothing said, a pass goes astray.... straight on him, "fudge Sawyers".

It used to annoy me but I just find it funny now. It's laughable and up there with the dickhead who has a go at the "ex-Albion rubbish" as soon as we have a bad run. I imagine every club has them but our stupid twerp are near the top of the stupid twerp league.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Well-bRed wrote:

I'm not to be pitied and Sawyers is average.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:57 pm

kshammer wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

The ones who don't are so set in their ways they wont admit it - one bloke by me picks on him for everything. Sawyers gave Bradshaw a great ball... Bradshaw did nothing with it and he applauded Bradshaw. The amazing outside of the boot ball... not a mention from him, a great through ball in the first half... nothing said, a pass goes astray.... straight on him, "fudge Sawyers".

It used to annoy me but I just find it funny now. It's laughable and up there with the dickhead who has a go at the "ex-Albion rubbish" as soon as we have a bad run. I imagine every club has them but our stupid twerps are near the top of the stupid twerp league.

I wish I could find it funny but I honestly struggle. I always seem to be sitting near someone who picks on Sawyers for everything.

Otis has been quiet recently. Probably busy eating that humble pie :lol:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

Bless.... I really pity you being so wrong.

One day you'll see the light... :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:02 pm

scott_powell wrote:
kshammer wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

It used to annoy me but I just find it funny now. It's laughable and up there with the dickhead who has a go at the "ex-Albion rubbish" as soon as we have a bad run. I imagine every club has them but our stupid twerps are near the top of the stupid twerp league.

I wish I could find it funny but I honestly struggle. I always seem to be sitting near someone who picks on Sawyers for everything.

Otis has been quiet recently. Probably busy eating that humble pie :lol:

I've been there... i've had my arguements about Sawyers but can't be arsed now. They are just wrong. It's not constructive criticism (which I have no problem with) and just makes them look stupid.

It's not as if it's even fair either... Bradshaw, Lalko, Cook (up until recently), Chambers, Taylor etc etc never get stick. If the Sawyers haters actually had a go in a fair manner (ie everyone gets it who deserves it) then i'd have no problem with it.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Boring first half which was so predictable most of our passes were intercepted; those that didn't go out of play that is.

Too many times two people going for the same ball. Unecessary free kicks given away in dangerous positions. Chambers what were you thinking of and good save from Etheridge.

Using O'Conner and Downing to lump long diagonal balls missing out the midfield were generally ineffective.

Second half was better but not by much.

Bradshaw's first goal was Bucklyesque in it's execution: Back to goal 12 yards out near the right goal line, a step or two then blasted it in to the top left hand corner from the narrowest of angles. Not long after he missed what looked like an easier chance on the break but his second just fudge the keeper over good and proper with a class chip.

Those white boots are sooooooo much better than the pink ones.

Also, not forgetting the warm welcome afforded to Andy Butler. I'm sure it was appreciated.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:07 pm

kshammer wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

Bless.... I really pity you being so wrong.

One day you'll see the light... :D

Only if you put a shilling in the meter! :D

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Anyone in block 1 hear that disgusting stuff said by that bald bloke about Sawyers? The man is a disgrace.

The only reason I was glad to see the back of Mal Benning was because of the similar veined abuse directed at him.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

No, but you should be ignored.

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:33 am

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:39 am

Better link, great volley
[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVHou6A45k[/youtube]

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:17 am

boringteacher wrote:Better link, great volley
[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVHou6A45k[/youtube]

Misses the save, though. I'll see if Channel 5 can do better when they repeat the programme.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:24 am

Gripper wrote:Anyone in block 1 hear that disgusting stuff said by that bald bloke about Sawyers? The man is a disgrace.

The only reason I was glad to see the back of Mal Benning was because of the similar veined abuse directed at him.

no mate, i was in block 1, only that bit of banter with the subs warming up, all good stuff, never heared anything about romaine ?

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:47 am

Guest wrote:Channel 5. A bit of a hiccup on the first goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebSGo7ltuI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Missing goal. The 'lazy' player who stole the ball back was ...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laahTfpbjNg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:11 am

The first goal was possibly a bit of a lucky break after the pin-ball play - Bradshaw happened to be in the right place at the right time....but it was certainly a very sweetly struck shot. The second goal was pure class, because one of the most difficult things to do with a football is to chip it delicately (and accurately) while running, and running quickly at that. Stuckmann stands at well over 6ft and Bradshaw had to assess how much lift to give the ball bearing in mind Stuckmann's reach on jumping would be much higher. Pure class on Tom's part, and any scouts from "bigger" clubs seeing that would be reaching for their cheque books.

Back to the first goal - and certainly credit to Romaine Sawyers for robbing the Doncaster defender who really should have booted the ball out of danger. He chose to try and dribble it to safety, and Sawyers was on to him very quickly.

Touch and go whether Tom was off-side when played through? (Don't care - swings and roundabouts!!) :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:48 am

Anyone who thinks Sawyers is 'average' or 'rubbish' clearly doesn't know anything about football nor has played a game in their life. It's absolutely unbelievable

What impressed me most about Sawyers yesterday was that he took responsibility in the game - that shows he is maturing as a player - and what a player he is.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season