Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) League One, 5th September, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Re: Bury (H) League One, 5th September, 3pm

Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:50 am

IHTC. wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:On another day we probably wouldn't have lost, their keeper sounded like he played a blinder.

Some posts in here crack me up, it's like they're waiting for us to drop right down so they can say I told you so/same old/etc

Any abuse directed towards Flanagan should be minimal, he's come a bloody long way already and has showed his worth so early on. Promising future definitely.

Oh and to finish, we played bury fudge FC a team we never beat at home.

Absolutely agree about Flanagan, he has a bright future ahead of him but yesterday he was very poor and no player should be above criticism, the few jeers I heard when he went off were sickening but I hope they were day trippers coming to get a booking history for the Chelsea game like the 3 sat behind me and they'll soon be back sat in front of skysports again in 2 weeks.

P.s the if keeper did play well but his saves were no 'worldys ' and you would expect any half decent keeper to make those saves.

Just me then that thought he was MoM for the first half? He got stuck in and made a lot of good strong tackles and blocks. One of which left him needing treatment.

Some of his passes went astray, but then again so did Sawyer's.

On the downside, he is brushed easily off the ball sometimes and that needs to be worked on.

And as for those barclays that booed him off... Baa, baaaa, baaaaa, baaaaaaa.

Overall, we lacked the fluidity and inventiveness from earlier games and the successful taking on of defenders which Lalkovic bought to the game. This is almost always guaranteed to open up defences.

Chambers slowed the game up and should have come off earlier.

Bradshaw maybe could have done better with the chance he had at the death and might cast some doubts over his clinical finisher claims. Having said that, he never really got a look in over the other 90minutes.

And, I' still trying to work out why were attempting to put crosses in when the two, streetwise Centre-halls were going to gobble them up all afternoon.

The shots on target for those not at the match, were from outside the box and easy meat for an experienced keeper. But we are at least having a go this season, so that's an improvement on last.

MoM overall was Henry.
Complete Duffer award goes to Forde.

P.S. I noticed that some Yoofs, sat a few rows I front of us watched the whole match leaning on their Kees so far over that the people on either side of them struggled to see the football. Something I spotted at Blackpool the other week.

Is there something wrong with the younger generations' backs that prevents them sitting up straight?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Big test for Smith now.

It's not about never failing, it's about how you react to failure.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Well I wouldn't go and watch them if it was free to get in after the Wembley debacle,but at least they are making chances so I don't see what the panic is.

Where have you been Swifty, we've missed yow! I agree with your sentiments about Wembley, we didn't turn up, one chance in 127 years and we fluff our lines ....again. The last game of the season saw the real gulf between the teams.
Todays result was written in the stars, (and I lost a bundle on a 1-1 result, serves me right!) those who made the journey to Morecambe on Tuesday, will all agree that todays result was a foregone conclusion, we dominate a game but could not finish if we were still playing now.
A slide back down the league is imminent.
Manager of the Month my bottom!

I haven't gone far A-M,still keep an eye on results and comment on UTS..... :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Well,Well....6 games undefeated and we lose and suddenly once again the Manager is an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing!!!! What qualifications do those of you who think that have for such comments? We played well yesterday,very well for 75 minutes..some of our passing was a delight to watch and on another day we would have won.
AS I said earlier we started poorly and that is the reason we lost...but from what I seen have seen so far I am with Optimistic.UTS
Incidentally I think if you are going to come on a match thread and comment I think it would be a good idea to go to the match....it just might make your comments a little more valid!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well,Well....6 games undefeated and we lose and suddenly once again the Manager is an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing!!!! What qualifications do those of you who think that have for such comments? We played well yesterday,very well for 75 minutes..some of our passing was a delight to watch and on another day we would have won.
AS I said earlier we started poorly and that is the reason we lost...but from what I seen have seen so far I am with Optimistic.UTS
Incidentally I think if you are going to come on a match thread and comment I think it would be a good idea to go to the match....it just might make your comments a little more valid!

Firstly not quite sure who said Smith was an idiot but many said he got it wrong, such a big difference from saying he got it wrong and calling him an idiot.

Secondly some of Smith's biggest fans do not even attend home games, at least the ones who do criticise at least turn up.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Flanagan MOTM in the first half?

I must have been at a different game. Out of the central midfielders I thought Mantom was by far the better of the three. (in both the first and second half)

Flanagan won a couple of challenges and that was it. His passing was woeful. You also fail to realise that he was a big factor in their goal. He failed to track their player who flicked it on to Jones. He let him drift goal side way too easily!

I'm not saying that he's dreadful, he has ability, I just don't think he's consistent enough. I'd put Osbourne in over him.

13 points from 6 games is a great start! Very happy regardless of yesterday.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Do I not like Bury! Why do we never do well against them?

The dross on this board is astounding. It's getting tiring.

Why does every win have to be the best performance and every loss the worst? Smith is amazing one week and rubbish the next. I disliked all the OTT Smith praise nearly as much as I do people knocking him.

The most sense on this thread has been spoken by Phil :shock:

Just calm the F down! If football causes so many people this much misery I don't know why they don't take up fishing.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:37 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Do I not like Bury! Why do we never do well against them?

Why does every win have to be the best performance and every loss the worst? Smith is amazing one week and rubbish the next. I disliked all the OTT Smith praise nearly as much as I do people knocking him.

Just calm the F down! If football causes so many people this much misery I don't know why they don't take up fishing.

Bit of an over the top post. The irony.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:43 pm

scott_powell wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Do I not like Bury! Why do we never do well against them?

Exactly, unless I'm mistaken I've not seen one post where someone said he's rubbish, over the top post moaning about over the top posts.

:lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Walsallone wrote:What qualifications do those of you who think that have for such comments?

Probably no more or less than those saying Smith is a genius.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:53 pm

IHTC. wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Exactly, unless I'm mistaken I've not seen one post where someone said he's rubbish, over the top post moaning about over the top posts.

Exactly what I thought :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:58 pm

tinned wrote:
Walsallone wrote:What qualifications do those of you who think that have for such comments?

They fail to see that they do exactly the same as us but for different reasons yet we are the thicko's :lol:

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Leatherman wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:On another day we probably wouldn't have lost, their keeper sounded like he played a blinder.

Some posts in here crack me up, it's like they're waiting for us to drop right down so they can say I told you so/same old/etc

Any abuse directed towards Flanagan should be minimal, he's come a bloody long way already and has showed his worth so early on. Promising future definitely.

Absolutely agree about Flanagan, he has a bright future ahead of him but yesterday he was very poor and no player should be above criticism, the few jeers I heard when he went off were sickening but I hope they were day trippers coming to get a booking history for the Chelsea game like the 3 sat behind me and they'll soon be back sat in front of skysports again in 2 weeks.

P.s the if keeper did play well but his saves were no 'worldys ' and you would expect any half decent keeper to make those saves.

Just me then that thought he was MoM for the first half? He got stuck in and made a lot of good strong tackles and blocks. One of which left him needing treatment.

On the downside, he is brushed easily off the ball sometimes and that needs to be worked on.

Overall, we lacked the fluidity and inventiveness from earlier games and the successful taking on of defenders which Lalkovic bought to the game. This is almost always guaranteed to open up defences.

Bradshaw maybe could have done better with the chance he had at the death and might cast some doubts over his clinical finisher claims. Having said that, he never really got a look in over the other 90minutes.

And, I' still trying to work out why were attempting to put crosses in when the two, streetwise Centre-halls were going to gobble them up all afternoon.

The shots on target for those not at the match, were from outside the box and easy meat for an experienced keeper. But we are at least having a go this season, so that's an improvement on last.

MoM overall was Henry.

P.S. I noticed that some Yoofs, sat a few rows I front of us watched the whole match leaning on their Kees so far over that the people on either side of them struggled to see the football. Something I spotted at Blackpool the other week.

Is there something wrong with the younger generations' backs that prevents them sitting up straight?

He needed treatment because he never went into the challenge whole hearted! and came out worse for wear because of it, even schoolboys are told to follow through.

Not a fan of his but still agree our fans should not jeer him off it affects and puts pressure on the whole squad doing it.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Fishing is cruel, you barbaric inhumane sausage ya

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:58 pm

TINNED...I don't know anyone who has said or who thinks Smith is a genius..he is a hard working Manager who is doing a very good job in some respects and less good in others. My post was aimed at all the OTT criticism of tactics etc yesterday when,apart from the first 15 minutes we played well. Simple as that...no more no less.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:53 pm

I criticized the systems because he has been chopping and changing based on the opposition, yesterday I felt he chose the wrong one with the 3 at the back. Sure we play okay, but we didn't create many good chances and we didn't stretch them enough - which is what playing with Milan Bradshaw and Morris is as all about.

Felt it would of suited the game better.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:08 am

JonnyOwen wrote:I criticized the systems because he has been chopping and changing based on the opposition, yesterday I felt he chose the wrong one with the 3 at the back. Sure we play okay, but we didn't create many good chances and we didn't stretch them enough - which is what playing with Milan Bradshaw and Morris is as all about.

Felt it would of suited the game better.

It wasn't until Morris and Milan came on when we started causing them problems, before that it was long range efforts.

On another note I would offer Cook some money to piss off now then at least both party's have a chance of moving on during this free transfer window.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:42 am

We are all in danger of slipping into a game of semantics, leading to a verbal "Civil War".
What is evident is that people see the same thing, but view it differently.
I, for one, don't think that the manager is an idiot, but am guilty of calling him stubborn and believing that he doesn't make the correct decisions on occasions.
My further opinion on this match is that you could call it a "bad day at the office", if we had done everything possible to win it. I happen to believe that the players may well have given everything they could to try to win the match, but for a variety of reasons that wasn't good enough, not least the shape of the team, or more pertinently the personnel within that "shape".
The game summed up to me what has been wrong at home for the last couple of seasons and until the reasons why we struggle at home are addressed, any promotion challenge is going to be seriously compromised.
The game also reminded me of why I relinquished my season ticket, which was the lack of enjoyment.
Our "good" play was largely ineffective possession football which we were forced into by Bury generally closing us down quickly, thus reducing the options of the player in possession.
I alluded in an earlier post that our forward options were virtually non existent, with players struggling to find space. The way to open up such situations is to play those most likely to be able to take opponents on and beat them. The players who have overwhelmingly demonstrated that ability this season are Morris and Lalkovic.
Whatever abilities the other players possess, they don't usually go on runs to beat men, but maybe beat a man in a deep position and then pass without necessarily hurting the opposition.
I missed the Oldham, Southend and Rochdale games, but have been to all the others, and that was our poorest performance so far. Notwithstanding that, we still could have drawn, or won, the game based on half chances we had.
Am I delighted with our start to the season? Of course I am.
Do I think we could have done even better? Yes I do.
Am I happy with the way we play away from home? Yes I am and have been for a couple of years.
Am I happy with the way we play at home? No I'm not and haven't been for a couple of years, because we have the players to do better.
The manager just needs to work out how to play at home and whether everyone agrees or not, that means getting the right personnel on the pitch, playing in the right formation. Once that is established all that's left are the vagaries of form and the performance of the opposition.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:18 am

IHTC. wrote:
tinned wrote:

They fail to see that they do exactly the same as us but for different reasons yet we are the thicko's :lol:

Who are us and what do they do?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:23 am

Leatherman wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
tinned wrote:

They kiss a picture of Smith 5 times aday while making sure (using their compass) they are facing towards the Bezza, even though some of them are not sure where the Bezza actually is :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 am

Big Dave wfc wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

MoM overall was Henry.

He needed treatment because he never went into the challenge whole hearted! and came out worse for wear because of it, even schoolboys are told to follow through.

Not a fan of his but still agree our fans should not jeer him off it affects and puts pressure on the whole squad doing it.

But he made the challenge and blocked the ball. Following through can get you a yellow or red card. Not sure what coaches would encourage that these days.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 am

scott_powell wrote:Flanagan MOTM in the first half?

I must have been at a different game. Out of the central midfielders I thought Mantom was by far the better of the three. (in both the first and second half)

Flanagan won a couple of challenges and that was it. His passing was woeful. You also fail to realise that he was a big factor in their goal. He failed to track their player who flicked it on to Jones. He let him drift goal side way too easily!

I'm not saying that he's dreadful, he has ability, I just don't think he's consistent enough. I'd put Osbourne in over him.

Treat yourself to the video of the game at Christmas and then, as a change from plum pudding, try some humble pie.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:33 am

IHTC. wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
tinned wrote:

They kiss a picture of Smith 5 times aday while making sure (using their compass) they are facing towards the Bezza, even though some of them are not sure where the Bezza actually is :D

Ahhhh! That would be me then. SMITHOUTofthisworld. :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am

But they have and do. Mostly on the SoT board.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Walsallone wrote:TINNED...I don't know anyone who has said or who thinks Smith is a genius..he is a hard working Manager who is doing a very good job in some respects and less good in others. My post was aimed at all the OTT criticism of tactics etc yesterday when,apart from the first 15 minutes we played well. Simple as that...no more no less.

Likewise, I don't know anyone who has said Smith is an idiot either.

We'll have to agree to disagree that we played well for 75 minutes. Huffed and puffed to my mind. I know you feel the passing was a joy to watch. Personally I prefer the passing to lead somewhere at some point. I can't get excited about hundreds of passes across the middle of the park but going absolutely nowhere.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Leatherman wrote:

Treat yourself to the video of the game at Christmas and then, as a change from plum pudding, try some humble pie.

I suggest you watch the game back pal.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:52 am

scott_powell wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

I didn't realise we were friends. Do I know you?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:27 am

Leatherman wrote:

But they have and do. Mostly on the SoT board.

Too true.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:29 am

Leatherman wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

You're a bit of a twerp aren't you?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:39 am

scott_powell wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

You're a bit of a twerp aren't you?

Sorry mate, my mistake.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season