Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Morecambe (A) F.L.Trophy 1st round, Tue Sept 1st, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Morecambe (A) F.L.Trophy 1st round, Tue Sept 1st, 7.45pm

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 am

Hats off to AM's lovely wife who proved her metal by surviving Asps amorous advances :mrgreen:

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Hats off to AM's lovely wife who proved her metal by surviving Asps amorous advances :mrgreen:

A lovely lady, who refused a Jager bomb :shock: . AM is a lucky man.

kmitchell96

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:38 am

Best way to sum up last nights game is that we dominated and created plenty of chances but poor finishing cost us. Should've been 2-0 up before they scored their first through Chambers and Bradshaw but neither could take their chance.

Good performance but not clinical enough in front of goal and too slow around the edge of the area. Forde was man of the match when he came on.

We need to figure out a way to stop teams from counter attacking against us because as well as last night Forest, Coventry and others have done it. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways for Saturday's game, I would start Forde.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:58 am

About time Forde had a good game. I remain to be convinced but admit he did play well when he came on last night

FFS Asps I had forgotten about the jäger bombs :shock:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm

As somebody put on FB, we've got our Walsall back :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:16 pm

kmitchell96 wrote:We need to figure out a way to stop teams from counter attacking against us because as well as last night Forest, Coventry and others have done it.

I hope we're not going to start falling into the trap of criticising Smith for us being too open to teams hitting us on the break. I'm not saying that's what you're getting at necessarily, but that need to score more goals will unavoidably leave us more open at the back from time to time.

I think we'd all sacrifice a few of last year's clean sheets in favour of turning more draws into wins.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 pm

I would much rather see us in attacking mode, and thereby letting a few in at the back from counter attacks (see last nights humbling) than last seasons drab, boring, wish washy, sideways and backwards, afraid to attack nonsense that sent us all into a coma with a monotony of 0-0 draws etc.
With the finishing touches and good fortune that we saw at Blackpool on Saturday, we would have comfortably won by another 4/5 goals again last night. Regrettably the doom laden threat of our failings in front of goal were again sent to haunt us. Please lads........... try to hit the blooming ball, into that netty thing!!! We were a constant sea of white attack last night but couldn't finish a sentence!
Hope Deano don't retreat back into his defence only shell again............pleeease! :(

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Nice sunset

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Think those are actually the fumes coming off Belge...

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmitchell96

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
kmitchell96 wrote:We need to figure out a way to stop teams from counter attacking against us because as well as last night Forest, Coventry and others have done it.

I hope we're not going to start falling into the trap of criticising Smith for us being too open to teams hitting us on the break. I'm not saying that's what you're getting at necessarily, but that need to score more goals will unavoidably leave us more open at the back from time to time.

I think we'd all sacrifice a few of last year's clean sheets in favour of turning more draws into wins.

I'm not falling into the trap just last night it was too easy. I'm aware that we are going to be hit on the counter with the way we play but we gifted them chances last night, as shown by the second goal. I think last night we missed Demetriou; he sticks to his side, gets forward and back quickly and knows when to stay back. Kinsella is a good player but he isn't a right back, he would suit a midfield role and it showed last night cause he didn't always get back quickly and he came to the inside too often.

Too stop giving away chances like last night we need a quick full back who can help out the centre backs by getting back quickly and I think with Rico and/or Demetriou on the pitch we are fine, Taylor has been brilliant this season but he doesn't always get back quick enough and we do not have enough cover at right back which is my only worry about the squad.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:11 pm

Disappointing result last night. I think once we had got forward down the wings, particularly on the left with Taylor and Lalkovic in the first half, we were too slow to get the ball into the box, and by the time a cross did come in Morecambe had players back to clear. Forde changed this when he came on, but there wasn't enough people getting in the box to get on the end of his crosses. Still, we dominated the first half, and Chambers should have scored from a one on one, and Bradshaw had a good chance in the second half but the keeper saved.

Morecambe defended well, good luck to them in the next round.

Enjoyed the night though, short journey down to the ground, few pints, then 30 minutes after the final whistle I was back at home with a curry! Wish I lived closer to Bescot as it was ideal being so close to home last night!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Image

Nice sunset

If you'd taken this picture a few hours earlier it would have been horrible. I was in Carnforth, about 5/6 miles away. in the afternoon and there was thunderstorms and flooding.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:
Nice sunset

If you'd taken this picture a few hours earlier it would have been horrible. I was in Carnforth, about 5/6 miles away. in the afternoon and there was thunderstorms and flooding.

I was walking near Windermere & saw fork lightning & thunderstorm to the south, though no rain until back in Kendal,

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 pm

Guest wrote:JPT run 2015-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_6Al-3V9eI

12 seconds from Kinsella releasing the ball to it hitting the back of our net.

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:02 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

Sorry, changed the video.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:05 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:JPT run 2015-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_6Al-3V9eI

As I said above, it was a fantastic pass to them, he was Morecambe's MOTM! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Feel really sorry for the lad, but that throw in was truly a ghastly 'school boy' error that will prove to be the end of his chances for a first team 'break through'.
Preston was strong and steadfast, but Chambers and O'Connor have come on in leaps and bounds this season (we won't say anything about Chambers open goal miss shall we?)

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:27 pm

A trifle harsh AM...to write off a career because of one mistake! None of us would have had careers if one mistake had defined our futures!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Some accurate comments above from those that went. It was a throwback to the worst excesses of last season - dominated the match, taking about 10 passes to advance 10 yards, allowing the opposition to regroup and then topped off with our dreadful finishing. Morecambe are a decent, well-organised, average League Two side and that is not meant to be patronising. We SHOULD have won but I think that if we were still playing now, we would not have scored. It was that bad.

Of the newcomers, Kinsella had a decent game apart from the horrendous throw-in that he gifted to Morecambe on the edge of THEIR penalty-area, which they quickly switched upfield to score a cracking second goal. MacGillivray has a reasonable game. I thought he may have done a little better on their first goal but he had no chance with the second. Preston was sound in the defence.

I was puzzled by two of the substitutions. Lalkovic deserved to be replaced but Baxendale and Morris did not. Of the substitutes, Sawyers played too deep, Forde put some decent crosses in and Cook was just plain dreadful. Our talisman, Bradshaw, had an evening he will want to forget. He couldn't do right for doing wrong!

I hope that this is a kick up the arse that that the team may need. The same applies to Messrs Smith and O'Kelly. Some of Smith's post-match comments on the social media were the usual bland crap that he often spouts.

Otherwise, it was business as usual - Asps was rat-arsed and Evo missed the first 15 minutes of the match, being in the pub. :lol:

The Morecambe view:-
http://www.morecambefc.com/news/article ... 64151.aspx

Not so sure about your summing-up of MacGillivray's performance, Pedders. From what I saw on TV last night I thought he had no hope at all of saving the first goal, and I'm not even sure it was meant as a shot if I'm honest, quite likely a lobbed side-footed cross that went astray in the luckiest possible way for Morecambe. Their second left me very disappointed, not only because of the way the chance was presented to their player who was able to set off on an unchallenged run, but also because his shot was close enough to the 'keeper for me to expect a save, but it went through his outstretched hand when he could and easily should have diverted it beyond the post. At the ground it might not have looked that way of course, but that's how I saw it on TV from a camera angle directly in line with the shot.

Disappointing that the excitement of our only realistic road to Wembley should disappear in the first round against opponents that we apparently dominated for much of the game - 23 shots on goal apparently, compared to their 8, seems ridiculous that we failed to score - and that's cost us a potentially lucrative source of income, against a side that we should have overcome.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:
Nice sunset

I was walking near Windermere & saw fork lightning & thunderstorm to the south, though no rain until back in Kendal,

Heaviest rain I think I've ever seen. Then came back to Kendal and caught the rain there too.
Glad the football was on though, even if we did lose.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Some accurate comments above from those that went. It was a throwback to the worst excesses of last season - dominated the match, taking about 10 passes to advance 10 yards, allowing the opposition to regroup and then topped off with our dreadful finishing. Morecambe are a decent, well-organised, average League Two side and that is not meant to be patronising. We SHOULD have won but I think that if we were still playing now, we would not have scored. It was that bad.

Of the newcomers, Kinsella had a decent game apart from the horrendous throw-in that he gifted to Morecambe on the edge of THEIR penalty-area, which they quickly switched upfield to score a cracking second goal. MacGillivray has a reasonable game. I thought he may have done a little better on their first goal but he had no chance with the second. Preston was sound in the defence.

I was puzzled by two of the substitutions. Lalkovic deserved to be replaced but Baxendale and Morris did not. Of the substitutes, Sawyers played too deep, Forde put some decent crosses in and Cook was just plain dreadful. Our talisman, Bradshaw, had an evening he will want to forget. He couldn't do right for doing wrong!

I hope that this is a kick up the arse that that the team may need. The same applies to Messrs Smith and O'Kelly. Some of Smith's post-match comments on the social media were the usual bland crap that he often spouts.

Otherwise, it was business as usual - Asps was rat-arsed and Evo missed the first 15 minutes of the match, being in the pub. :lol:

The Morecambe view:-
http://www.morecambefc.com/news/article ... 64151.aspx

Not so sure about your summing-up of MacGillivray's performance, Pedders. From what I saw on TV last night I thought he had no hope at all of saving the first goal, and I'm not even sure it was meant as a shot if I'm honest, quite likely a lobbed side-footed cross that went astray in the luckiest possible way for Morecambe. Their second left me very disappointed, not only because of the way the chance was presented to their player who was able to set off on an unchallenged run, but also because his shot was close enough to the 'keeper for me to expect a save, but it went through his outstretched hand when he could and easily should have diverted it beyond the post. At the ground it might not have looked that way of course, but that's how I saw it on TV from a camera angle directly in line with the shot.

Disappointing that the excitement of our only realistic road to Wembley should disappear in the first round against opponents that we apparently dominated for much of the game - 23 shots on goal apparently, compared to their 8, seems ridiculous that we failed to score - and that's cost us a potentially lucrative source of income, against a side that we should have overcome.

One important point to note about MacGilivray is that he's not as good at keeping possession as Etheridge.

Given our passing philosophy it's important the keeper can pass the ball as well as anyone. A couple of times last night MacGilivray hoofed the ball clear immediately losing possession and inviting pressure.

Thought he did ok overall though.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:I would much rather see us in attacking mode, and thereby letting a few in at the back from counter attacks (see last nights humbling) than last seasons drab, boring, wish washy, sideways and backwards, afraid to attack nonsense that sent us all into a coma with a monotony of 0-0 draws etc.
With the finishing touches and good fortune that we saw at Blackpool on Saturday, we would have comfortably won by another 4/5 goals again last night. Regrettably the doom laden threat of our failings in front of goal were again sent to haunt us. Please lads........... try to hit the blooming ball, into that netty thing!!! We were a constant sea of white attack last night but couldn't finish a sentence!
Hope Deano don't retreat back into his defence only shell again............pleeease! :(

THIS :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Image

Nice sunset

FANTASTIC PIC :D i would post that on one of those photo gallery things. you could win sumat :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:13 am

Walsallone wrote:A trifle harsh AM...to write off a career because of one mistake! None of us would have had careers if one mistake had defined our futures!

Regrettably this is football, not accountancy (I once couldn't balance a Companies cash book with a £647 error that has haunted me throughout my career! :evil: ) a grotesque mistakes once made can define your entire future in footy, sad but true.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:50 am

Crushing defeat against minnows and only 114 posts on the match thread? Come on UTS, you're better than this! :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:11 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:A trifle harsh AM...to write off a career because of one mistake! None of us would have had careers if one mistake had defined our futures!

Regrettably this is football, not accountancy (I once couldn't balance a Companies cash book with a £647 error that has haunted me throughout my career! :evil: ) a grotesque mistakes once made can define your entire future in footy, sad but true.

Not even a transposition error... I divided by 9 to check. :D

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:39 am

The highlights confirmed my thoughts during the match that their first goal was a cross intended for the man running in at the far post and that Andy Taylor looked lethargic.
Whether their player intended it or not, it stills counts, so out we go.
I didn't think Taylor closed down his man urgently enough leading to the first goal and his positioning was wrong leading to the second.
The six changes made to the starting line up from Saturday, two enforced and four voluntary, were largely understandable and we could/should have been good enough to win.
If that was Baxendale in his preferred position, then it wasn't good enough. He did a couple of decent things, but was largely ineffective and played it too safe leaving Bradshaw pretty isolated.
Baxendale, Kinsella and Preston all needed to play so their inclusion was correct, but I would have left Henry and Flanagan in, replacing Taylor and Chambers. That might have been deemed too experimental, but we need to see how we would get on without Chambers.
The substitution of Baxendale was absolutely correct, but I would have left Lalkovic on a little longer and I definitely wouldn't have taken off Morris, who was/is our most penetrative and positive player.
Sawyers didn't really get possession in any forward positions, Forde was very positive and effective, but Cook gifted away possession and couldn't beat his man.
The manager can't legislate for poor finishing, which ultimately cost us.
If we had to lose one of the games against Blackpool and Morecambe, we certainly chose the right one.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:55 am

I see you were an accountant then AM...explains a lot :D A real pessimistic bunch in my experience :( and there is no cure for it :lol: Anyway lets hope we win on Saturday.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Walsallone wrote:I see you were an accountant then AM...explains a lot :D A real pessimistic bunch in my experience :( and there is no cure for it :lol: Anyway lets hope we win on Saturday.

Yeah my friend, I am an ACMA, plus another four letters that I can never remember (the American version which we apparently get automatically) 5 Bloomin years of part time study, (passing the equivalent of 17 'A' levels!) still can't spell to save my life though.
Accountants HAVE to be the most boring, blinkered lot of drab, uninteresting folk ever to have been put on this earth, couldn't stand any of 'em, it was 5 years of torture! Luckily I spent most of my life running four of my own businesses.
Said on the way to Morecambe that it would be our first banana skin, which regrettably turned out to be true, and fear that 1-1 will be the best we can hope for on Saturday...........See we got one of your predicted signings at last mate! :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes AM a CM at last. Lets hope he is good enough then we can rest the legs of "old man" Chambers from time to time. I actually agree with you about Saturday and have predicted 2-2 mainly because I think we are due a draw.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season