Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Morecambe (A) F.L.Trophy 1st round, Tue Sept 1st, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Morecambe (A) F.L.Trophy 1st round, Tue Sept 1st, 7.45pm

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm

According to the WFC Twitter account, Bradshaw has just missed 3 chances is as many minutes. Has anyone told him he can score again now the transfer window is shut? :wink:
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Bury winning 2-0 :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 pm

saddla wrote:Bury winning 2-0 :(

1-2 now.........

Morecambe still 2-0 ahead. Attendance tonight 1,332

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Attendance is 1,332, including 322 Saddlers. New ground to visit and all that, but still a very good turnout.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:31 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Attendance is 1,332, including 322 Saddlers. New ground to visit and all that, but still a very good turnout.

Good show that is from us expected less than 200 to be honest.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Oh well. We had all the luck in the world in our run last year so sounds like it all evened itself out tonight.

Big thing is how we bounce back on Saturday. Top of the league.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm

No trip to Wembley this year - at least, not in the JPT.

The run had to come to an end at sometime, but disappointing in that we obviously had more than enough chances to win it. Hopefully, DS and RO'K can remind them that if you don't take your chances etc. etc. If that lesson is learned, then we should be okay.

UTS

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 pm

31 shots on goal, off the line, sitters, bar, 68% possession, 12 corners. They score with 2 counter attacks in the second half. Keeper has a blinder. Football can be that way. After last season and the trip to Wembley..I'm actually glad we are out.

UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 pm

We can concentrate on the league now - and the league cup.

YamYam
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Clever tactics by Deano and the team to lull Chelski into a false sense of security.

Mrdollabill
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 pm

glad the winning run came to and end in this cup rather than in the league

UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Whatsapp from the ground.

'Absolutely feeble in front of goal.
2nd successive jpt game we haven't turned up for.'

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:58 pm

well that was a bit of an anti climax :( . just hope we can put it right on saturday :)

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Sounds like we created a ton of chances but couldn't find the back of the net.

No big loss, onto Saturday!!

UTS

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:29 pm

322 Saddlers is an amazing turnout - there won't be many teams taking that many in this competition until at least the Quarter Finals! Fair play!

I'm not bothered we are out, didn't particularly enjoy Wembley in this competition anyway. Its comforting to read the reports that we were dominant. I'm sure Morecambe knocked the Dingles out of the League Cup last year....

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:43 pm

It sounded like a throwback to 12 months ago. All the possession, with no cutting edge in front of goal. It's easy to say so now we've been knocked out, but I'd have rested Bradshaw for this one, even if it would have created a ridiculous amount of speculation that he was on his way.

Never liked the JPT anyway. :P

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 pm

How an earth did we lose that?
We dominated but unfortunately Tom Bradshaw had a game he will want to forget. On other days he would score a hat-trick. The one he missed from 2 or 3 yards, just before the first Morecambe goal, was a sitter & was obviously crucial. Adam Chambers really should have done better with that miss in the first half, when he was clean through.
Their 2nd goal ... Kinsella attempts an ambitious throw to Sawyers near the edge of their penalty area - 15- 20 seconds later it's in the back of our net.
Oh well, hopefully we will bounce back on Saturday.
The sunset was impressive

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:14 pm

With regards to Saturday, how did the Keeper and Kinsella looked as they will both start in the league.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm

Drunk, was fun, we lost, oh well. They deserved it good luck to them.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:35 pm

thats it smith out i've had enough :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Ahh well, we dominated all and couldnt shoot straight. Like old times.

You cant win them all.

It was our second string.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Created lots of chances, just never looked like scoring, everything we threw at them was saved or we just weren't clinical enough.

Felt Forde had a great game of the bench though, looked well up for it and produced some excellent chances. Everyone else was 6's. Don't think MacGillivray had a save to make other than their goals, which I don't think he could of done much about. The first was a worldy that seemed to hit both post and crossbar at the same time, unreachable. Second he was left very exposed by their quick counter.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Great turnout by our fans, 120 miles away on a Tuesday night. One of the better modern grounds (None of them are any good mind), wish we'd been on the terrace.

One of those nights, not angry or anything as we created enough chances and just couldn't put them away, got in some great places, I really thought it wasn't our night after Chambers messed up that sitter in the first half, as a question, does Chambers take part in the shooting practise before the game? I'd assume not after that as I can't remember seeing him doing it before??

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:15 am

Some accurate comments above from those that went. It was a throwback to the worst excesses of last season - dominated the match, taking about 10 passes to advance 10 yards, allowing the opposition to regroup and then topped off with our dreadful finishing. Morecambe are a decent, well-organised, average League Two side and that is not meant to be patronising. We SHOULD have won but I think that if we were still playing now, we would not have scored. It was that bad.

Of the newcomers, Kinsella had a decent game apart from the horrendous throw-in that he gifted to Morecambe on the edge of THEIR penalty-area, which they quickly switched upfield to score a cracking second goal. MacGillivray has a reasonable game. I thought he may have done a little better on their first goal but he had no chance with the second. Preston was sound in the defence.

I was puzzled by two of the substitutions. Lalkovic deserved to be replaced but Baxendale and Morris did not. Of the substitutes, Sawyers played too deep, Forde put some decent crosses in and Cook was just plain dreadful. Our talisman, Bradshaw, had an evening he will want to forget. He couldn't do right for doing wrong!

I hope that this is a kick up the arse that that the team may need. The same applies to Messrs Smith and O'Kelly. Some of Smith's post-match comments on the social media were the usual bland crap that he often spouts.

Otherwise, it was business as usual - Asps was rat-arsed and Evo missed the first 15 minutes of the match, being in the pub. :lol:

The Morecambe view:-
http://www.morecambefc.com/news/article ... 64151.aspx

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 am

This competition costs us to be in. Glad we're out. :mrgreen:

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:03 am

Pedagogue wrote:
I hope that this is a kick up the arse that the team may need.

Yep, if there's one thing a team that's just won six games in a row, scoring 16 goals in the process needs it's a kick up the arse.

I bet there were teacups everywhere.

Anyway, we were alright last night. Morecambe are probably the first team we've played this season who parked the bus and we struggled to find a way through their two banks of four. The one time in the first half we did manage to play through them it was unfortunate that the player one on one with the keeper was Jihadam Chambers. Take nothing away from Morecambe though - they were well organised and well disciplined and threw themselves in front of everything. When their chances arrived they took them really well.

Would we have won with our first XI? Probably.

Will we struggle with injuries to our key talent? Absolutely.

If we manage to keep everyone fit and fulfil the early promise we've shown, will going out of the JPT early be a blessing in disguise? Definitely.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:15 am

bangsection wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
I hope that this is a kick up the arse that the team may need.

Yep, if there's one thing a team that's just won six games in a row, scoring 16 goals in the process needs it's a kick up the arse.

I bet there were teacups everywhere.

Anyway, we were alright last night. Morecambe are probably the first team we've played this season who parked the bus and we struggled to find a way through their two banks of four. The one time in the first half we did manage to play through them it was unfortunate that the player one on one with the keeper was Jihadam Chambers. Take nothing away from Morecambe though - they were well organised and well disciplined and threw themselves in front of everything. When their chances arrived they took them really well.

Would we have won with our first XI? Probably.

Will we struggle with injuries to our key talent? Absolutely.

If we manage to keep everyone fit and fulfil the early promise we've shown, will going out of the JPT early be a blessing in disguise? Definitely.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:02 am

Well what can anyone say about a match that we utterly dominated throughout but still lost 2-0.
Hope the old haunting does not return, in front of goal we were utterly toothless, Bradshaw could still be playing now and still wouldn't have scored, a game he will want to forget. One chance that went begging was from 2 yards with only the goalie to beat....he cocked it up.
Have to mention that we looked bereft without our Cypriot influence, and after that throw in 'gift' from Kinsella, I think he aught to find loan deal cus I have the feeling he won't be a first teamer again this season!
One good performance on a night we will all want to forget, was from Forde when he came on, strong, powerful, fast, with one shot that nearly broke the crossbar!
Good luck to plucky Morecambe, they have the obvious frailties of being a Fourth Division team, but managed to score two cracking goals from what was only a small handful of chances as we totally dominated the entire game, they might, and deserve to, do well this season, a good outside chance for a play off place.
Great night in the pub opposite the ground, met some old and new faces amongst the usual crowd of serious drinkers, most of whom crawled/staggered into the ground 20 minutes after kick off! :D :D
Great turn out, pity the Wembley team turned up. Back to the serious stuff on Saturday.
Deano....pleeeeease get in LOTS of shooting practice before we return to the League, or our top spot will be naught but a memory before very long. :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 am

Was that 'moany' enough ASPS? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:09 am

Not sure about ASPS but thats much more like it AM...as for Bradshaw missing from 2 yards I remember Alan Clarke missing from less than that in the cup tie at Norwich in 1966! We lost 3-2 and the goalie Terry Carling made a mistake which cost us but Clarke's miss was also a factor. Keep moaning AM and perhaps we will keep winning!

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season