Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:21 pm

1,803 Saddlers today.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:39 pm

We were slow to start but once we got going we were tremendous. Really enjoyed that. Sawyers was sublime & that last goal was out of this world. First time I've seen Rico Henry ... that lad will play at a much higher level (hopefully with the Saddlers for a bit anyway).

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Just got back home....how can anyone explain why we are suddenly sooooo good (mind you Blackpool were particularly pith poor, will need a rocket up 'em if they are to avoid a second relegation!).
That was one of the finest moments I can recollect of being a Walsall fan, a sublime team and great support. I'm not saying we are unstoppable but it's great to be the top of the League, moments like this don't come often in the life of being a Walsall fan!
We were just great, toyed with 'em in the second half and Sawyers goal HAS to be one of the best in Saddlers history....perfect!

Bristol Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:54 pm

My cock is still out

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:57 pm

sallian wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
Guest wrote:
IHTC. wrote:After 5 league games we are the highest scoring team on the league, that's not been said for many ayear :lol:

The year 2000 was the last time?

How do you find that crap out? :shock:

We are second highest scorers in the league (all 4 divisions) Leyton Orient are first with 13

But in our own division we have the best attack and the second best defence at the moment

+ 6 cup goals = top scorers in the country.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:59 pm

I think it's difficult to doubt Sawyers now. CLASS ABOVE

Otis? :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Unfortunately, couldn't get there today but just seen the goals on Sky and looked like a great following in the Lancashire sun (nice one boys and girls..)

Wot a strike from Romaine... scorcher and up there with a few others today for goal of the day on Sky..

As many others have said, it's one of those rare occasions where it's great to be a Saddler - let it keep on rollin...

UTS

By the way, anyone else noticed the heavily 'Lancashire' biased early opposition at the start of this season???

Oldham
Rochdale
Blackpool
Morecambe
Bury

Not compaining tho :D :D :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:24 pm

And it could easily have been six! It's afternoons like that, that make it all worthwhile.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Great game, tactics stop on, Romaine Riquelme Sawyers was unplayable, just pure class. Mantom scoring lots of goals now too, we could really be in for a special season, what we need more than anything now though is depth for when the injuries come (they will). Hopefully Deano can add before Tuesday, and then add later in the loan window too.

Only downside for today was everyone standing on the steps forcing everyone in block A to also stand up to see over them.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:29 pm

The thing that struck me today was the ruthlessness of the result. It was the kind of result you see when team near the top players one at the bottom, i.e. a thorough beating. Obviously we are near the top but what i'm getting at is that it doesn't feel like a flukey run, but this team really looks the part.

If we can keep this up - and by that I just mean playing exciting stuff - Sawyers is going to come on leaps and bounds. So much ability. Also, Mantom. Shows how much we've missed him and so pleased he's on great form.

For the first time in a long time though I actually felt a bit sorry for the opposition fans.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Great result. Sounded a top following as well, nothing they dont deserve

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:58 pm

kshammer wrote:The thing that struck me today was the ruthlessness of the result. It was the kind of result you see when team near the top players one at the bottom, i.e. a thorough beating. Obviously we are near the top but what i'm getting at is that it doesn't feel like a flukey run, but this team really looks the part.

If we can keep this up - and by that I just mean playing exciting stuff - Sawyers is going to come on leaps and bounds. So much ability. Also, Mantom. Shows how much we've missed him and so pleased he's on great form.

For the first time in a long time though I actually felt a bit sorry for the opposition fans.

It's a terrible shame what's happening at that club. There was just this overwhelming feeling of dejection all around the ground, like the ones who turned up today had done so either at gunpoint or plodded in by some grim feeling of duty. I've never been at a ground that felt so hopeless before!

Also, are the Oystons fiddling the attendance figures? According to the BBC there was 7,489 there. Take away our 1,803 and that leaves 5,686 home supporters. Absolutely no chance there were that many in there.

That aside, what a fantastic day. Away days don't really get much better than that!

Top of the league. DWWWWWW. Chelsea in the third round of the League Cup. Not been a baddun, has it August?! :D

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Deano will definitely get manager of the month. If player of the month is based on all games Tom will get it, if it is on league only it may go to Romaine. Good times ahead I hope. They passed today's possible banana skin with flying colours.�

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:57 pm

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:15 pm

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:47 pm

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:26 am

Oh my god how good was that :mrgreen:

5000 Blackpool fans there? I think not. Gutted for them and what Oyston family is doing to their club. But once we warmed up we were awesome today. Sawyers is one of best players I have ever seen in a Walsall shirt. With this team and the way we are playing it could be a special season. Matches can't come quickly enough and nor can the close of transfer window :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Great game, tactics stop on, Romaine Riquelme Sawyers was unplayable, just pure class. Mantom scoring lots of goals now too, we could really be in for a special season, what we need more than anything now though is depth for when the injuries come (they will). Hopefully Deano can add before Tuesday, and then add later in the loan window too.

Only downside for today was everyone standing on the steps forcing everyone in block A to also stand up to see over them.

I find it pretty ridiculous that anyone can find a downside about today :shock: :lol:

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:37 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:That was one of the finest moments I can recollect of being a Walsall fan, a sublime team and great support. I'm not saying we are unstoppable but it's great to be the top of the League, moments like this don't come often in the life of being a Walsall fan!
We were just great, toyed with 'em in the second half and Sawyers goal HAS to be one of the best in Saddlers history....perfect!

This poster has to be an imposter! It is certainly not the AM we know on this board.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:42 am

PINNACLE wrote:
Kevlar wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:A screenshot of the league table now would be welcome! Well done you Saddlers.
Image[/url]

Has anyone else noticed that Rochdale have only let in 2 goals in their opening 5 games and obviously that was against us !
Maybe they are a team to watch out for :shock:

Sheff United look ominous after their opening day disaster. Unfortunately, you get the feeling that at last they've appointed a decent manager.

Wigan are slowly getting their cack together too and with oodles of parachute cash knocking about you feel that they will continue to strengthen.

But thereafter you feel that it's about teams that are a bit like us. Rochdale, Gillingham, Chesterfield etc. those play-off spots are wide open.

Exciting times.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 am

Come on Jonny, no downsides yesterday!!
We didnt have a lot to beat and i fully expected to win, but God was was it easy yesterday.
All i can say to all Saddlers is just enjoy it while its happening, because it doesnt happen very often.

We may, just may have a good team here.
Regarding the gate, there wasn't over 7000 people in that ground yesterday
Last edited by Wragbyred on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:54 am

Wragbyred wrote:

Which is why it would be a kick in the groin if any of it departs over the next three days.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:30 am

Yesterday will live long in the memory.

Only real comment is to the blokes behind me who called Sawyers lazy for 45 minutes, maybe these are the prats that booed him last season and they are really good mates, anyway when he scored his absolutely banger 2nd I turned round to these blokes and said "He's so lazy isn't he" with a convincing grin and the best of it is these clowns started agreeing with me haha what a bunch of prats, probably went to Wembley and Preston at home last season, stay at home next time please.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:43 am

PT wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

Which is why it would be a kick in the groin if any of it departs over the next three days.

Think the transfer window closes at the slightly random time of 6pm on Tuesday. Which means we can hopefully have a No Players Sold party at Morecambe with chips and ice cream.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:54 am

Chips at football :shock: :shock:

Don't be so ridiculous.

Are you going Bangers?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:47 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Chips at football :shock: :shock:

Don't be so ridiculous.

Are you going Bangers?

I'll be there. Yow?

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Apparently we're not all that.

Oh, by the way, Walsall were no great shakes; I'm sure their first two were own-goals; on the few occasions we put them under pressure, their defence looked shaky; their front line was busy and they were that little bit sharper and more aware of their roles and responsibilities.

http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread ... eMFjvQXdRc

MP writes for Blackpool sites as well. 8)

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Just got back from Blackpool.

What a fantastic footballing day yesterday was. Tremendous away support, lovely weather and an easy 3 points in the end. However, we didn't get started for 20 mins and if they had managed to get the first goal it would have been a far more difficult task to come away with the 3 points. What did impress me though was how clinical we were in taking the lead when still hadn't got out of 1st or 2nd gear.

The own goal really ended the match as a contest. It could have easily been 7 or 8 after that.

Brilliant day all round!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Why would Blackpool accountants lie about an attendance? Strange thinking on their part?
If there was 4K there today it would have been a Notts County type exaggeration!
If we had 1800 then the home fans would have been another 1200 MAX.
Reminded me of the last time we were at Darlington with a few random home fans seated around the ground. As an accountant myself I've tried desperately to think of the reasoning behind this fabrication, but can't come up with a suitable explanation. If you were going to openly lie about an attendance, surely you would 'reduce' the total?
Or are these on the instructions of a certain Oysten connection?
And yes 'Guest' it's me honest! :lol: :lol: And loving every minute, not felt this excited since the play off final. MY Walsall team looking good/great, how long has it been?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Why would Blackpool accountants lie about an attendance? Strange thinking on their part?
If there was 4K there today it would have been a Notts County type exaggeration!
If we had 1800 then the home fans would have been another 1200 MAX.
Reminded me of the last time we were at Darlington with a few random home fans seated around the ground. As an accountant myself I've tried desperately to think of the reasoning behind this fabrication, but can't come up with a suitable explanation. If you were going to openly lie about an attendance, surely you would 'reduce' the total?
Or are these on the instructions of a certain Oysten connection?
And yes 'Guest' it's me honest! :lol: :lol: And loving every minute, not felt this excited since the play off final. MY Walsall team looking good/great, how long has it been?

There may be one possible explanation of the "attendance" ... I gather from comments on the Blackpool message boards that Oyston (spit) did have an offer last season along the lines of "Buy a 2 year season ticket at very special rates". Obviously many supporters have reached the stage of showing their displeasure at the current regime by not attending, but if they've already paid for a season ticket are they counted as being there (whether in body or not)?

It's only a guess..... :?

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season