Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Chuff off Gills - Posh goal on 89.59.

Mutants

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Chants from the Walsall supporters - "Paedo Paedo what's the score?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:00 pm

A screenshot of the league table now would be welcome! Well done you Saddlers.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:03 pm

bush360 wrote:Try radio wave live commentary on there Saddlers playing well, seems even local radio has no faith in Blackpool

good find, thanks, even made washing up bearable!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Nice to see Palarse softening Chelski up for us.

Jose is playing his second string in preparation for the biggun at the end of September.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
bush360 wrote:Try radio wave live commentary on there Saddlers playing well, seems even local radio has no faith in Blackpool

Thanks for the post, managed to listen to nearly all of the second half.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:09 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:

Thanks for the post, managed to listen to nearly all of the second half.

that sawyer sounds like some player. and that mantonne had a good game.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Copper hit by a thunderbolt shot from Demetriou. Hope that is in the highlights.

fingers crossed.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Sallian is lurking :D

Any thoughts?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

I expected them to lose today...but Walsall are flying... Before the match started and I looked at Walsall's bench and I thought they have some real weapons on the bench who can change the game and open things up...Baxendale, Morris, Lalkovic, Cook, Forde.... To go somewhere and have that creative bunch at your disposal is precious tool in this division... I see Sawyers is really contributing with the goals which is good...I have never been convinced of him before, but perhaps he is improving some things. I didn't really see this early success coming at all....although I do rate quite a few of the Walsall players....I just lacked confidence that Dean Smith would get the best out of them, it is obviously a lot better for Walsall that the success happens under a Walsall man...we also have to hope that other clubs don't look to poach Dean Smith...which is quite a possibility, especially if they offer him a bundle of money...but it is early days yet...only 5 games in, but when was last time Walsall started a season this well? And when was last time Walsall won 6 matches in a row? I don't think has happened in my lifetime.

They must be full of confidence, a good start and scoring goals makes all the difference, I am please to see their shot taking has greatly increased and I expect that means quick passes into danger areas is also on the increase...I am still in a minor depression about not attending the Southend game...

If they turn up to every ground now with the attitude of winners and a dominant force, confident of goal scoring ability, attacking threat and creativity....bursting with action, life and quality....then they can perhaps keep this going God Willing.

I am pleased that Dean Smith is probably learning and adding some variety and offensive acumen to his tactics. Very important that the players value being part of a team in form and having success...much better for their careers long term....rather than a quick money migration into a dead end.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Guest wrote:
IHTC. wrote:After 5 league games we are the highest scoring team on the league, that's not been said for many ayear :lol:

The year 2000 was the last time?

How do you find that crap out? :shock:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 pm

sallian wrote:I expected them to lose today...but Walsall are flying... Before the match started and I looked at Walsall's bench and I thought they have some real weapons on the bench who can change the game and open things up...Baxendale, Morris, Lalkovic, Cook, Forde.... To go somewhere and have that creative bunch at your disposal is precious tool in this division... I see Sawyers is really contributing with the goals which is good...I have never been convinced of him before, but perhaps he is improving some things. I didn't really see this early success coming at all....although I do rate quite a few of the Walsall players....I just lacked confidence that Dean Smith would get the best out of them, it is obviously a lot better for Walsall that the success happens under a Walsall man...we also have to hope that other clubs don't look to poach Dean Smith...which is quite a possibility, especially if they offer him a bundle of money...but it is early days yet...only 5 games in, but when was last time Walsall started a season this well? And when was last time Walsall won 6 matches in a row? I don't think has happened in my lifetime.

They must be full of confidence, a good start and scoring goals makes all the difference, I am please to see their shot taking has greatly increased and I expect that means quick passes into danger areas is also on the increase...I am still in a minor depression about not attending the Southend game...

If they turn up to every ground now with the attitude of winners and a dominant force, confident of goal scoring ability, attacking threat and creativity....bursting with action, life and quality....then they can perhaps keep this going God Willing.

I am pleased that Dean Smith is probably learning and adding some variety and offensive acumen to his tactics. Very important that the players value being part of a team in form and having success...much better for their careers long term....rather than a quick money migration into a dead end.

As if by magic :lol:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:20 pm

chestersaddler wrote:When was the last time we won 6 on the bounce?

Under Merson we won the last 5 of the 2004/05 season and the first two of the 2005/06 season. If not for a late Southend goal it would have been 8 wins on the trot.

We ended the season bottom of the league :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Absolutely slaughtered them.

Sawyers was unplayable. He is our most talented player. Some of his passing was sublime. His 2nd ... Just watch it on tv later. Fantastic strike!

Everyone was a 9/10. Sawyers 10/10

Away support was quality.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE! HAPPY DAYS

usa_saddler

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Great to get match commentary (thanks for the link) even here in the US. What a start to the season and should be a great weekend for those that made the trip to Blackpool. On holiday visiting 'Old-timer' and sporting my away shirt from the Wembley trip - I am sure the local North Carolinians will wonder what the heck a Walsall is....

Up the Saddlers!!!!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:

Under Merson we won the last 5 of the 2004/05 season and the first two of the 2005/06 season. If not for a late Southend goal it would have been 8 wins on the trot.

My memory is going...but when was last time in one season though?

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Super Gabor wrote:A screenshot of the league table now would be welcome! Well done you Saddlers.
Image[/url]

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Just been realised having prematurely got my cock out - what a result, need to have a quiet transfer window now 8)

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:37 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Guest wrote:
IHTC. wrote:After 5 league games we are the highest scoring team on the league, that's not been said for many ayear :lol:

We are second highest scorers in the league (all 4 divisions) Leyton Orient are first with 13

But in our own division we have the best attack and the second best defence at the moment

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:44 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

My memory is going...but when was last time in one season though?

I thought I read once that we won 7 on the trot in 1959. Maybe there's some saddlers who remember this?

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:A screenshot of the league table now would be welcome! Well done you Saddlers.
Image[/url]

Has anyone else noticed that Rochdale have only let in 2 goals in their opening 5 games and obviously that was against us !
Maybe they are a team to watch out for :shock:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:48 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
Kevlar wrote:
Image[/url]

Has anyone else noticed that Rochdale have only let in 2 goals in their opening 5 games and obviously that was against us !
Maybe they are a team to watch out for :o

Good spot PINNACLE. Good win against Barnsley today.

Also, has anyone noticed that there are only 15 teams in L1 this season? :P

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:50 pm

IHTC. wrote:
Guest wrote:

From the video I posted earlier on this thread. On 29 August 2000 we were top scorers in England!

Carolina Saddler

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:53 pm

I've been trying to educate the North Carolinians on the Saddlers for over 15yrs!!!
Are you visiting the Carolinas usa_saddler?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Next week's game could be a game of many goals....Bury have an interesting record so far

They have not won a game

But they have only lost once

They have scored 10 (second highest scorers in division)

But have conceded 11!

So Walsall might be under heavy attack....but will have a chance to attack back

then again, with that expectation it could be 0-0 or 0-1....so let us hope Dean Smith will have set up a punishment regime for complacency and rewards scheme for continuation of success! A compilation of Sallian's longest comments for every goalscorer :lol:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Great result today, albeit against opposition that are in freefall. Good to see Sawyers getting goals, and appreciation at last from Saddlers fans. Is he now our joint top scorer in the league. Impressed with Smith so far this season, the polar opposite from the previous two seasons.

usa_saddler

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Carolina Saddler wrote:I've been trying to educate the North Carolinians on the Saddlers for over 15yrs!!!
Are you visiting the Carolinas usa_saddler?

My dad (old_timer) lives in Brevard area and we are down from Wisconsin for a few days. Heading back tomorrow...

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Sadsfan wrote:Impressed with Smith so far this season, the polar opposite from the previous two seasons.

I agree.

Time to change your location? :wink:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:42 pm

tinned wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:Impressed with Smith so far this season, the polar opposite from the previous two seasons.

I agree.

Time to change your location? :wink:

Let's not get carried away! :lol: I am also impressed with the squad rotation and not leaving it unti the 89th minute to make his first sub. I'm certain he's spent the summer reading this site and practising on Championship Manager!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:08 pm

With almost two thousand away supporters inside Bloomfield Road there was a lively atmosphere at kick-off although the home stands were once again looking distinctly bare.

Although the noise from the away ends made it feel like an away game, it was Blackpool who started the game the brightest, earning an early corner, clearly on the front foot.

Above courtesy of the Blackpool Gazzette. Tbh I'm curious as to how 5000 home fans can be seen as 'sparse' as I've been to Blackool 3 times over the years and todays attendance is bigger than each of my visits. Short memories again....

Great day, and so far season, to be a saddler. Just hope our fans still have realistic expectations & are just enjoying the performances.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season