Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 am

Where do you start, trying to preview a game at Blackpool? If you thought that we had the occasional problem with our beloved owner, just think how lucky we are not to be associated with the Oyston family and their association with Blackpool F.C. Suffice it to say that the club's playing fortunes have deteriorated hugely over the past few seasons, and the management style of the owners can't have helped. Team Manager Neil McDonald is Blackpool's 5th manager in just over two years, and has set about rebuilding the playing and coaching side. Things are still apparently not all right however - after appointing Fred Barber (remember him?) as goalkeeping coach early in August, Fred took 2 days to decide it really wasn't for him and returned to Crewe. Steve Banks has since taken that job, returning to Blackpool where he spent 4 years as a player. Another signing is Emmerson Boyce, the 35-year old ex-Wigan Athletic defender. Another name you will recognise from the past - Jimmy Mullen was Blackpool's manager in 1989/90, but let's not dwell on that.

Mark Cullen is Blackpool's leading scorer this season, with his 2 goals on the opening fixture at Colchester. This season has proved to be something of a hangover from last year's terrible run in the Championship however, and it should be noted that Blackpool's most recent win in a competitive game was on January 31st when they beat Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0. Since that day Blackpool have played 23 games, of which 7 have been drawn with the other 16 lost. Their most recent form:

8 Aug Colchester United (A) League One, Drew 2-2
11 Aug Northampton Town (A) League Cup 1st round, Lost 3-0
15 Aug Rochdale (H) League One, Lost 0-2
18 Aug Burton Albion (H) League One, Lost 1-2
22 Aug Sheffield United (A) League One, Lost 2-0

Predictions? On form alone it has to be a nailed-on win for the Saddlers, but there is always the feeling at the back of my mind that this could be a real banana-skin match. Our superb winning run and Blackpool's dire losing run both have to end some time, and our current form is surely too good to last, isn't it? Motivation may be a key factor, as it would be all too easy for Dean Smith's side to think "we only have to turn up to get 3 points". Tricky.........

On this occasion though, I think we should do a good job on Blackpool. I'll go for a 0-2 win, with Bradshaw (obviously) and Lalkovic on the score sheet.

PT
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:09 am

A different type of test. We're going into the game as hot favourites with an expectation that we'll win.

Anyone who has followed us for any time will know that these ingredients tend to end in a disappointment.

But I'm really beginning to believe in this side and indeed the manager. So I think we'll win but it'll be tighter than we expect.

2-1 to us in front of 1,600 slightly sizzled Saddlers.

There are four players who we hugely rely on through the spine(O'Connor, Chambers, Mantom and Bradshaw) and I hope this run of games doesn't catch up with any of them on Saturday. Morcambe may be the time to give at least a couple of these lads a bit of a rest. The good news is that we're winning all of these games which probably means that the limbs don't feel as tired as they might otherwise.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:04 am

PT wrote:2-1 to us in front of 1,600 slightly sizzled Saddlers.

Only slightly sizzled? I would have said totally rat-arsed! :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:33 pm

PT wrote:A different type of test. We're going into the game as hot favourites with an expectation that we'll win.

Anyone who has followed us for any time will know that these ingredients tend to end in a disappointment.

But I'm really beginning to believe in this side and indeed the manager. So I think we'll win but it'll be tighter than we expect.

There are four players who we hugely rely on through the spine(O'Connor, Chambers, Mantom and Bradshaw) and I hope this run of games doesn't catch up with any of them on Saturday. Morcambe may be the time to give at least a couple of these lads a bit of a rest. The good news is that we're winning all of these games which probably means that the limbs don't feel as tired as they might otherwise.

How many YEARS is it since anyone could open with THIS statement about an upcoming match?
Unfortunately I can't get rat arsed cus I'm driving later in the day, but I'll be there in spirit (spirit, get it? haha...ahem :? )
How very pleasant to be a Walsall fan at the moment....we better soak up the atmos before it comes crashing down over our heads!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Oh this has defeat written all over it! A classic coupon buster if I ever saw one.

I trust in the lads however.

Blackpool 1 - 3 Walsall - they score first.
Bradshaw, Mantom, Bradshaw

C'mon you Saddlers!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:23 pm

0-4

7666 in attendance.

Bradshaw (2) Lalkovic and Cook

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:24 pm

1-0 Saddlers, Bradshaw with a late winner.

Got my ticket Monday thankfully :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:28 pm

2-2
Bradshaw x2

Thousands of accumulators to go down the shitter because of us.

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:06 pm

On the glass half full side: DS is 1 win away from a possible Manager of the Month curse. :cry:
:wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:47 pm

0-3 to the saddlers. blackpool really are a poor side. bradshaw,lalkovic and morris on the scoresheet. in front of about 1700 saddlers fans :mrgreen: with the confidence running through the team at the moment i really can't see anyone beating us. it is astounding really because the only change to the team that served up such dross on occasions last year. are a new right back. lalkovic who was non descript for any of the other teams he played for. and a new goalkeeper? and smith reckons it's players that win matches not systems :roll:
Last edited by chunkster on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Lose 5-0. It's the Walsall way.

Owen and Karl Oyston to score all goals between them, as players join their fans on strike.

SWS1

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
PT wrote:A different type of test. We're going into the game as hot favourites with an expectation that we'll win.

How many YEARS is it since anyone could open with THIS statement about an upcoming match?
Unfortunately I can't get rat arsed cus I'm driving later in the day, but I'll be there in spirit (spirit, get it? haha...ahem :? )
How very pleasant to be a Walsall fan at the moment....we better soak up the atmos before it comes crashing down over our heads!

Now don't you be sick at the cider the road :lol:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:12 am

SWS1 wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Ale second that.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:46 am

3-1 to us. I know it is tempting fate but I just can't see us not scoring with the way our attackers are playing, especially against a team that is doing badly.

Sawyers, Lalkovic and Bradshaw... thousands of cocks unleashed.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:16 am

Leatherman wrote:
SWS1 wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Ale second that.

Oh to beer Saddler.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:19 am

AM is always bitter when we lose

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 am

chestersaddler wrote:AM is always bitter when we lose

I don't subscribe to that view - he's always mild-mannered, though sometimes lager than life...... :mrgreen:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:10 am

Potential banana skin we are flying looking unbeatable blackpool poor not won at home since january if other way round we would be thinking of a surprise win as have done in past.
This team looks full of confidence but think will be hard game narrow 1-0 win or 1-1 draw.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:04 pm

We will win

cocks out

UTS Legend

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Remember Crewe last season? They came to the Banks's bottom of the league and were shipping goals for fun. They left with their first clean sheet and first away win of the season. We love to help teams out like this, and it has happened far too often in recent years. I hope Smithin has sorted this out, too.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:44 pm

There's a topic on the "Fansonline Blackpool mesage board" about the probability of there being more Walsall supporters than home fans on Saturday, and one contribution on that thread caught my eye..........

"It's a good day out for away fans, The Prom, Pleasure Beach etc., and a guaranteed win. What more would they want?"

Confidence seems to be low.......

(Edit - there's another thread encouraging supporters to lump their cash on a Walsall win :mrgreen: )

Plus, if we can score first we're probably on a winner - another thread says that the most recent case of Blackpool winning from a goal down was 2-1 against Watford...........in March 2013 :shock:

bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51 am

Clearly this is a game to be approached with extreme caution.

We are odds-on across the board with the bookies to win this game - something of a rarity. The last time we were odds-on to win an away match was 14 years ago - against Oxford in 2001.

Oxford were in absolute turmoil, and went on to lose 33 league games that season, the second highest number of defeats in a season EVER. In the process they conceded exactly 100 goals. We, of course, went on to win the play-off final.

They beat us 2-1.

Some interesting names in the Oxford line up that day. Swansea manager Garry Monk played at centre half and in goal they fielded a certain Neil Cutler, on loan from Aston Villa. Whatever happened to him?

http://www.11v11.com/matches/oxford-uni ... 2001-4181/

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 am

4-0...

As long as we turn up and maintain focus we can do a job on these.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:22 am

bangsection wrote:Clearly this is a game to be approached with extreme caution.

We are odds-on across the board with the bookies to win this game - something of a rarity. The last time we were odds-on to win an away match was 14 years ago - against Oxford in 2001.

Oxford were in absolute turmoil, and went on to lose 33 league games that season, the second highest number of defeats in a season EVER. In the process they conceded exactly 100 goals. We, of course, went on to win the play-off final.

They beat us 2-1.

Some interesting names in the Oxford line up that day. Swansea manager Garry Monk played at centre half and in goal they fielded a certain Neil Cutler, on loan from Aston Villa. Whatever happened to him?

Remember that very well.

Also remember Sheff starting a Graydon Out thread on here in the aftermath. Be good if someone could retrieve that one from the archives. Was a good one! Was back when the site was still black and yellow.

The beginning of that season was comparable with this. Think we won our first four league games (Rotherham, Oldham, Swindon and Oxford) and we thought we'd be storming back to the second tier as Champions. But we hit a right old sticky patch and needed to make some signings and mount a late-ish run to secure the play-off spot that culminated in the great day at Cardiff.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:26 am

PT wrote:

They beat us 2-1.

Remember that very well.

Also remember Sheff starting a Graydon Out thread on here in the aftermath. Be good if someone could retrieve that one from the archives. Was a good one! Was back when the site was still black and yellow.

So he was talking cack back in those days as well :mrgreen:

PT
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:32 am

chestersaddler wrote:
So he was talking cack back in those days as well :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: oh yes. The cack was far more prolific back then.

To be fair, a month or so later he'd had a meeting with Sir Ray and took it all back.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:23 am

God we were awful at Oxford that day. Never questioned Sir Ray though. You just don't do you ?

UTS Legend

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:48 pm

PT wrote:

They beat us 2-1.

Remember that very well.

The beginning of that season was comparable with this. Think we won our first four league games (Rotherham, Oldham, Swindon and Oxford) and we thought we'd be storming back to the second tier as Champions. But we hit a right old sticky patch and needed to make some signings and mount a late-ish run to secure the play-off spot that culminated in the great day at Cardiff.

Yes, a very good start to that season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XRrE1DnHEI&feature=youtu.be

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 pm

See everyone there.

Is Sheffield Saddler going?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:21 pm

latviancheese wrote:See everyone there.

Is Sheffield Saddler going?

Don't be daft. He'll be watching Chelsea on the telly.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season