Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (A) League One, 29 Aug, 3pm

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:03 pm

bangsection wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Chips at football :shock: :shock:

Don't be so ridiculous.

Are you going Bangers?

I'll be there. Yow?

With the possibility of chips and ice cream, what do you think :D

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:10 pm

Just got back from blackpool great result and fantastic support and atmosphere from our fans.

I'm a bit of a looking on the downside type of idiot and even with our excellent form thought it would be a bit of a struggle against a team looking for first win of season I predicted 1-1 how wrong was I.

Everyone played well although against very poor opponents but thought o'conner really strong in defence while sawyers controlled the game at times showing what a great player he can be. Richo gets better every game hope we can hang on to him for a while he is destined for the premiership.

Thanks to the team and fans for making a weekend away even better.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:12 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:Just got back from blackpool great result and fantastic support and atmosphere from our fans.

I'm a bit of a looking on the downside type of idiot and even with our excellent form thought it would be a bit of a struggle against a team looking for first win of season I predicted 1-1 how wrong was I.

Everyone played well although against very poor opponents but thought o'conner really strong in defence while sawyers controlled the game at times showing what a great player he can be. Richo gets better every game hope we can hang on to him for a while he is destined for the premiership.

Thanks to the team and fans for making a weekend away even better.

Blackpool! Blackpool! So good you posted twice!

(Edit - sorry, I "tidied it up" before reading your comment... (Welsh) :D )

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Why would Blackpool accountants lie about an attendance? Strange thinking on their part?
If there was 4K there today it would have been a Notts County type exaggeration!
If we had 1800 then the home fans would have been another 1200 MAX.
Reminded me of the last time we were at Darlington with a few random home fans seated around the ground. As an accountant myself I've tried desperately to think of the reasoning behind this fabrication, but can't come up with a suitable explanation. If you were going to openly lie about an attendance, surely you would 'reduce' the total?
Or are these on the instructions of a certain Oysten connection?
And yes 'Guest' it's me honest! :lol: :lol: And loving every minute, not felt this excited since the play off final. MY Walsall team looking good/great, how long has it been?

Excuse my ignorance on such matters but would an inflated gate make them a more attractive proposition if he were trying to sell the club? Again, just a guess.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Maybe they count season ticket holders regardless if they attend. Didn't seem like 5,000 home fans, maybe 3,500?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 am

They do count season tickets sold, even if they don't attend the game. I'm not sure if this should be the case for safety reasons, but there we go. Anyway, I don't give a stuff about their moronic fans, lack of them or owners.

We were ace again. Chelsea, watch out.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:35 am

Magic Man Fan wrote: They do count season tickets sold, even if they don't attend the game. I'm not sure if this should be the case for safety reasons, but there we go. Anyway, I don't give a stuff about their moronic fans, lack of them or owners.

We were ace again. Chelsea, watch out.

I thought attendance was based on the counter at the turnstiles or does it work differently if you are a Strontium 90 STH?

I can't see how anyone can base attendance figures on tickets sold - receipts yes, but not attendance.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:34 am

Usually clubs post lower gates for tax and slush fund reasons.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 am

portlandbill wrote:Usually clubs post lower gates for tax and slush fund reasons.

Agree. Perhaps Oyston is trying to demoralise the Oyston Out brigade by counting attendance in a different way?

P.S. According to the BBC website attendance was near 7500. If the capacity of the ground is approx. 16000 then that would mean that every other seat was occupied. I might be getting senile in my old age and my vision ain't what it used to be, but it looked a damn sight emptier than that.

P.P.S Mrs. L. Already had tickets for the game... Wel land truly reeled in, landed and filleted.
Last edited by Leatherman on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:04 am

Arsenal appear to the same and count tickets sold as there have been a few times when there have been loads of empty seats yet a capacity crowd? Very odd

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Arsenal appear to the same and count tickets sold as there have been a few times when there have been loads of empty seats yet a capacity crowd? Very odd

This seems to explain it. It also mentions Arsenal at the end.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1083630/The-truth-modern-day-attendances-How-clubs-count-missing-fans.html

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:11 pm

We spoke to a taxi driver on Saturday night for a good 10 minutes.. They have 3,800 season tickets holders which are added onto each attendance regardless. As to how many of them attend...well, not very many from everything I've read.

Didn't think we were great in the first half, slow and pedestrian in midfield but did just enough to sneak a 1-0 win. Second half they gave up after the second went in and the rest of the half they actually barely struggled to touch the ball. Sawyers was seriously good, even without that wonder goal. Little 18 year old Rico Henry the best player on the pitch. Mantom, back to his best. Super Tom should have had a hatrick. Peachy cross from Demetriou for the Mantom header. We could have run riot. Every player was anything from good to excellent, except for Flanagan who doesn't look a league one footballer yet to me.

I actually thought O'Connor was MOTM. Flawless, didn't lose a single 50-50, a single header or tackle all afternoon. Just calm and collected.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Sadders wrote:Didn't think we were great in the first half, slow and pedestrian in midfield but did just enough to sneak a 1-0 win. Second half they gave up after the second went in and the rest of the half they actually barely struggled to touch the ball. Sawyers was seriously good, even without that wonder goal. Little 18 year old Rico Henry the best player on the pitch. Mantom, back to his best. Super Tom should have had a hatrick. Peachy cross from Demetriou for the Mantom header. We could have run riot. Every player was anything from good to excellent, except for Flanagan who doesn't look a league one footballer yet to me.

I actually thought O'Connor was MOTM. Flawless, didn't lose a single 50-50, a single header or tackle all afternoon. Just calm and collected.

I think you've been less than generous in two respects there;

Firstly, Flanagan. Whilst he may not be the star player, he's a very important part of what's happening on the pitch right now. In particular, he has a desire to pass the ball, move and then ask for it back. That is a huge part of the system we're playing since it means the player in possession always have options and, in playing those triangles, we get the opposition chasing up and ending up out of shape (see point below). I hate to say it, but when Baxendale came on, you saw what happens when a player doesn't do that. Flanagan is doing fine and certainly holding his own.

Secondly, I think you have to appreciate what was happening in the first half. Blackpool were never going to roll over and hand us the game but they are (already) a demoralised team who, sooner or later, were going to give up if we frustrated them. Add to that it was a very warm afternoon. Therefore Dean Smith got his tactics spot on. We spent a lot of the first half making little progress but passing the ball around, using the width of the pitch and generally making them chase after us. That softened them up for the second half rout.

Otherwise, I tend to agree about O'Connor. What a superb player. But there were several motm performances, not least from Henry. It's the first time I've since him play and I'm struggling to think of a lad that age playing for Walsall who has looked so composed and dominant in a game. I can't think of many, David Preece is perhaps the only one close. If he progresses as he is capable and if he continues to develop physically, I have no doubt he can play at the top level.

The other thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Smith also got tactics spot on in terms of formation. If they had a danger player, it was their left winger. If they had a major weakness, it was their right back. Thus Smith set us up with Demetriou playing at full-back whereas Henry was pushing well forward and attacking, with Taylor almost slotting into left back role at times behind him. It worked perfectly and, as the game went on and their left winger faded out, up moved Demetriou to show his attacking skills as well.

All in all, a cracking match and a cracking weekend. Well over 600 miles round trip to get to the game but worth every mile!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Firstly what a great weekend. Superb support.

Whilst we were good on the day, Blackpool were by far and away the biggest pile of losers in the football league. I would have been rather miffed had we only won that 1-0.

Jason Demetriou is an outstanding player.

Old Sam Mantom is back.

Sawyers does now not get dizzy at the thought of having a shot.

, and look at the options on the bench. Other than maybe a CB in case of injury, this is the strongest squad we have had for many years.

Keep up the good work Deano, its a joy to watch.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 am

Obviously goals are the major factor for confidence and success and that's exactly what we achieved on Saturday.
Demetriou has been outstanding in each of the games that I have seen and our fluidity and movement can be best demonstrated by him being the "offside" player in the six yard box for Bradshaw's goal against Coventry, and him popping up outside the far left post for his shot in this match.
Combined with the goals scored by Taylor and Henry from inside the box, we are clearly a team on top of its game when the right players are playing.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:24 am

The Bosted Slab wrote:Obviously goals are the major factor for confidence and success and that's exactly what we achieved on Saturday.
Demetriou has been outstanding in each of the games that I have seen and our fluidity and movement can be best demonstrated by him being the "offside" player in the six yard box for Bradshaw's goal against Coventry, and him popping up outside the far left post for his shot in this match.
Combined with the goals scored by Taylor and Henry from inside the box, we are clearly a team on top of its game when the right players are playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one Cotterill was looking at the other night rather than the obvious people such as Bradshaw. He'd certainly fit in with Cotterill's footballing philosophy.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 am

Leatherman wrote:
The Bosted Slab wrote:Obviously goals are the major factor for confidence and success and that's exactly what we achieved on Saturday.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one Cotterill was looking at the other night rather than the obvious people such as Bradshaw. He'd certainly fit in with Cotterill's footballing philosophy.

Did you see his piss poor effort of a challenge with Bale for the goal last night? We'll be fuming if he does that in a Walsall shirt :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

Did you see his piss poor effort of a challenge with Bale for the goal last night? We'll be fuming if he does that in a Walsall shirt :wink:

No. I always said he was cack. :mrgreen:

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season