Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton & Hove Albion (H) Capital One Cup, Tues 25th 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Re: Brighton & Hove Albion (H) Capital One Cup, Tues 25th 7.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 pm

philthesaddler wrote:What an awful decision for the first penalty, that's a shocker. Not seen many poorer penalty decisions than that.

When you consider some of the penalties that don't get given :shock

There was one given against Forest the other week......................can't remember who it was against though.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Both penalties were really soft. There's a certain way players go down when they're looking for a penalty, and both of last night's fit that description; arms flailing all over the place.

Thankfully, Chris O'Grady - who looked absolutely woeful by the way - duly did us a favour by doing his best to hit the M6 with his attempt. Sometimes you look at players like him on paper and wish we could bring someone like that in. Last night made me realise the grass isn't always greener in that respect.

Their second penalty was definitely the right decision, foot stuck out, player went over. The first was an absolute shocker as was the manhandling of Bradshaw just before.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Kevlar wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:What an awful decision for the first penalty, that's a shocker. Not seen many poorer penalty decisions than that.

When you consider some of the penalties that don't get given :shock

There was one given against Forest the other week......................can't remember who it was against though.

Exactly, swings and roundabouts. The second was a nailed on pen but as soon as he blazed that high and wide I knew we'd be through to the next round.

I've had more excitement in the 5 games I've been to so far this season than the whole of last season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm not sure what people don't understand about the rules of football, but pulling arms and shirts is a foul. In the box that equals a penalty. Soft? Absolutely. To the rules? Yes.

The referee got a lot right last night, much better than the Coventry biased one on Saturday. He actually seemed like he understood the game, unlike most referees.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:36 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:I'm not sure what people don't understand about the rules of football, but pulling arms and shirts is a foul. In the box that equals a penalty. Soft? Absolutely. To the rules? Yes.

The referee got a lot right last night, much better than the Coventry biased one on Saturday. He actually seemed like he understood the game, unlike most referees.

Yeah of course, foul...

But then when O'Connor gets worse treatment and gets not even a glance, Tom getting dragged to the ground multiple times, again nothing... No consistency whatsoever.

UTS Legend

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:03 am

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:52 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:I'm not sure what people don't understand about the rules of football, but pulling arms and shirts is a foul. In the box that equals a penalty. Soft? Absolutely. To the rules? Yes.

I'm not questioning the rules or saying either shouldn't have been given - it just amazes me how so many players in the Championship and above have mastered a very unique art of making the most of minimal contact. The way they go down is bordering on laughable.

Having said that, if players had full faith in referees to give decisions consistently, they wouldn't need to spend hours in training practicing the way they fall over inside the penalty area.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:23 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I'm not questioning the rules or saying either shouldn't have been given - it just amazes me how so many players in the Championship and above have mastered a very unique art of making the most of minimal contact. The way they go down is bordering on laughable.

Like Bradshaw in the first round at Forest?

Swings and roundabouts.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Like Bradshaw in the first round at Forest?

Swings and roundabouts.

Don't ever say anything about Tom again,never ever ever.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season