Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:22 am

A real top-of-the-table clash, with ourselves and the Sky Blues situated 3rd and 1st in the table respectively. City have won their first three League One games - the last time they did that it was in the Premier League when Bobby Gould's side beat Middlesbrough, Spurs and Wimbledon to be top of that table, but that was in 1992. Those of us with long memories will recall many games against Coventry in the Division III (South) days - I remember George Curtis being the "hard man" in their defence. No doubt there are many connections between the clubs in terms of players who have played for both, and top of the pile for me would be goalkeeper Bob Wesson who joined us from Highfield Road many years ago.......ah, memories !!

Anyway, Coventry's season to date looks like this:

8 Aug Wigan Athletic (H) League One, Won 2-0
11 Aug Rochdale (A) League Cup 1st round, Drew 1-1 (Rochdale won 5-3 on penalties)
15 Aug Millwall (A) League One, Won 0-4
18 Aug Crewe Alexandra (H) League One, Won 3-2

The danger man for Coventry City would appear to be striker Adam Armstrong, on loan from Newcastle United until January - he has already notched 5 goals, with O'Brien (2) and Fleck chipping in from midfield. Coventry have a goal difference of +7, but at the same time they did concede 2 goals against Crewe Alexandra, so it's possibly a case of ever pushing forward and leaving gaps at the back.

Several selection choices are available for Dean Smith. He changed a winning team after the 3-4 victory at Nottingham Forest, so there's no guarantee that the side that won at Rochdale will play. There's possibly doubt about Andy Taylor anyway as he was injured at Rochdale and substituted by Rico Henry. (That's "Rico", not "Ricoh" by the way, just for the benefit of any Coventry fans who might be reading this!). Despite not having scored in a whole game, Tom Bradshaw has to be our main threat up front, although it's really good to see Sam Mantom back in the kind of form that made him Player of the Season before that long term injury hit him, and he's scoring goals too. Lalkovic and Morris started from the bench against Southend, while Sawyers and Henry occupied that position at Rochdale, so sheer variation appears to be an option that Dean Smith is actively using.

When Coventry won 0-4 at Millwall I was interested to read the Millwall manager's opinion that his team were a "complete shambles". It also says much for Coventry's approach (and attitude) that after only 3 minutes they gifted Millwall a penalty. That was saved and they went on to win 0-4 at The Den, so we misjudge them at our peril !!

Prediction......even tougher to call than the Rochdale game, I feel. Tougher because we knew that at Spotland (playing away from home) we stood a reasonable chance of getting a result bearing in mind our recent away form. This game, however, is at "Fortress" Bescot - and there's a bit of a mis-nomer if you like - so I think I will be quite happy for a repeat of the Oldham Athletic result. A 1-1 draw would be enough to keep our momentum going (and break Coventry's 100% record), with Tom Bradshaw scoring for us.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 am

good breakdown there welsh.

I think this will definitely be the toughest game so far. They have built up quite a squad over the summer and the kid from Newcastle looks a class act.
However, any team that can concede two at home to a poor Cr-who side can be beaten. And if we continue to play the way we have with everyone on form, I think they could struggle.

Hoping for a bumper crowd at the Bezzla and ill stick my neck out and say 3-1 Walsall.
Tom, Romaine and Milan to get our goals.

Keep the faith. UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:46 pm

3-1 to Coventry.

Hope I'm wrong.

UTS!

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Can't see them not scoring... head says 1-1 draw, heart says 3-1 Saddlers.

As before i'll go with the heart. Tom with 2 and a Lalko late third on the break.

cov182004

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Here is my preview with assistance from Welsh_Saddler http://www.football-talk.org/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=249

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Someone's going to win this one, I can feel it in me bones! It is also a 2 / 3 permutation wise so always a winner odd wise!

I'm going high scoring. Walsall 3 - 2 Coventry. Armstrong and Fleck for them and a Bradshaw brace + Lalkovic goal for us. Attendance - 7,998 (whoop!).

Halfway to our 20pt target and T.O.T.L!! - who'd thought it?

P.S. I'm quite glad Coventry are up top, they're a similiar sized club to Sheff United but haven't had that swagger of arrogance the Blades have had - maybe it is all the off field problems or perhaps I'm just incorrect in my perspective.

UTS

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Someone's going to win this one, I can feel it in me bones! It is also a 2 / 3 permutation wise so always a winner odd wise!

I'm going high scoring. Walsall 3 - 2 Coventry. Armstrong and Fleck for them and a Bradshaw brace + Lalkovic goal for us. Attendance - 7,998 (whoop!).

P.S. I'm quite glad Coventry are up top, they're a similiar sized club to Sheff United but haven't had that swagger of arrogance the Blades have had - maybe it is all the off field problems or perhaps I'm just incorrect in my perspective.

UTS

Coventry are not a similar size club to Sheffield United more similar in size to maybe Bradford City the reason they have no swagger is because they are like a dog that's been kicked around for the last 50 year's.
They still regularly state on their forum they need to get out "this cack division".
They also have no real local or traditional rival of note that must be horrible for them nobody really cares about coventry City most people just feel sorry for them, not us obviously probably because we actually pay the rent on our stadium and play by the rules.
As for this game we will win probably 2-0 the 352 "home" formation will be to much for them they've had a good start but will come crashing down to earth starting Saturday.
UTS

CCFC721

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:39 pm

otiswfc wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Someone's going to win this one, I can feel it in me bones! It is also a 2 / 3 permutation wise so always a winner odd wise!

UTS

Coventry are not a similar size club to Sheffield United more similar in size to maybe Bradford City the reason they have no swagger is because they are like a dog that's been kicked around for the last 50 year's.
They still regularly state on their forum they need to get out "this cack division".
They also have no real local or traditional rival of note that must be horrible for them nobody really cares about coventry City most people just feel sorry for them, not us obviously probably because we actually pay the rent on our stadium and play by the rules.
As for this game we will win probably 2-0 the 352 "home" formation will be to much for them they've had a good start but will come crashing down to earth starting Saturday.
UTS

What on earth? :lol: What does 'a dog what's been kicked around for the last 50 years' mean? I'm sure every club outside of the Prem top 6/10 will take a next 50 years of 34 years in the top flight and a memorable FA cup win.

I wouldn't say we struggle for a rivalry - just we're outside of the Birmingham boundary and a 'fierce' rivalry like Birmingham v Birmingham club will never be replicated. Leicester meh - some of their fans hate us and some of ours hate them. Some will care about Leicester/Derby more and some of ours will care about Villa more considering we played them for 34 years. Without being patronising, Walsall list Wolves, Villa and WBA as their top 3 rivals clubs you've probably played about 2-3 times in the last 50+ years? Don't they all support you when their playing away and wasn't a large percentage of your Wembley following full of them teams fans for a day out at Wembley?

I have no problem with Walsall or its fans - it's a well run club who works within its means. However this guys post is a bit strange.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:47 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

UTS

UTS

What on earth? :lol: What does 'a dog what's been kicked around for the last 50 years' mean? I'm sure every club outside of the Prem top 6/10 will take a next 50 years of 34 years in the top flight and a memorable FA cup win.

I wouldn't say we struggle for a rivalry - just we're outside of the Birmingham boundary and a 'fierce' rivalry like Birmingham v Birmingham club will never be replicated. Leicester meh - some of their fans hate us and some of ours hate them. Some will care about Leicester/Derby more and some of ours will care about Villa more considering we played them for 34 years. Without being patronising, Walsall list Wolves, Villa and WBA as their top 3 rivals clubs you've probably played about 2-3 times in the last 50+ years? Don't they all support you when their playing away and wasn't a large percentage of your Wembley following full of them teams fans for a day out at Wembley?

I have no problem with Walsall or its fans - it's a well run club who works within its means. However this guys post is a bit strange.

Stick around a while mate. This site is comedy gold :D

CCFC721

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 pm

And I've never seen anyone state this division is cack and we don't deserve to be here. Where did you read that? We deserve to be in League 1 because the club has been terribly mismanaged over the years.

I feel sorry for this guy just reading one of his posts - no idea how Walsall fans put up with him. He's just spouting nonsense to fit his agenda.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Might be a good thing they're flying as they'll drop points eventually and why not against a well organised defence?

I remember last year they were in cack form when they came to Bescot and strolled to a very comfortable 2 nil win that summed up the season a bit.

Main reason for improvement is the manager, Mowbray is a better manager than league one.

1-1.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:34 pm

CCFC721 wrote:And I've never seen anyone state this division is cack and we don't deserve to be here. Where did you read that? We deserve to be in League 1 because the club has been terribly mismanaged over the years.

I feel sorry for this guy just reading one of his posts - no idea how Walsall fans put up with him. He's just spouting nonsense to fit his agenda.

What agenda? I couldn't care less about Coventry City like I've said already nobody really does you say I know nothing about coventry then you say wolves. west brom, villa are our main rivals well no their not we have our traditional rivals with Vale , Shrewsbury and the feelings mutual with them.
The last time I went to coventry I didn't see a single cov shirt in the city centre all I saw were ice hockey fans and students.
Now let's all hear about how you haven't finished in the top 6 of any league for the last 100 years or whatever it is while I get the violin out.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:11 pm

otiswfc wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:And I've never seen anyone state this division is cack and we don't deserve to be here. Where did you read that? We deserve to be in League 1 because the club has been terribly mismanaged over the years.

What agenda? I couldn't care less about Coventry City like I've said already nobody really does you say I know nothing about coventry then you say wolves. west brom, villa are our main rivals well no their not we have our traditional rivals with Vale , Shrewsbury and the feelings mutual with them.
The last time I went to coventry I didn't see a single cov shirt in the city centre all I saw were ice hockey fans and students.
Now let's all hear about how you haven't finished in the top 6 of any league for the last 100 years or whatever it is while I get the violin out.

CCFC721, at least you see what I see. Otis is a complete fool. :lol:

CCFC721

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:16 pm

No - a football rivals survey undertook in 2013 and Walsall voted 1) Wolves 2) Villa 3) West Brom - clubs who for 99.99% of the time have been 2-4 leagues above you. And why would saying we don't have a proper rival offend Cov fans anyway? You're going on as if Walsall are the second coming of Man United or something. You quite clearly have negative feelings towards CCFC or else you wouldn't be making up lies that we think we're better than this league and checking forums all the time. I'm not claiming our rivalries are massive but a Walsall fan giving cack about it? Come off it mate, your 3 main rivals you've played about once and that was probably in the cup.

So if I pay a visit to Walsall town centre before the game - I will find a lot of Walsall fans wearing shirts then? Probably not.

Isn't Walsall- West Brom/Wolves/Villa basically the equivalent of Nuneaton to Cov/Leicester/Villa. As in them teams would go and support that team if you were playing away and would go if they got to Wembley.

And, come on chap, where's this forum you were reading them where our fans said we were too good for this league and called it crap?

CCFC721

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:24 pm

scott_powell wrote:
otiswfc wrote:

CCFC721, at least you see what I see. Otis is a complete fool. :lol:

Is he a secret Shef Weds fan? What does swfc symbolise in his username? Odd man, I never said anything about negative or even posted anything and he goes on a massive breakdown about Coventry.

Oh well, leave him be. I think it will be a draw on Saturday a result both teams would probably take if they got offered it. I wouldn't say Armstrong is a great footballer just every half chance he gets he scores where's it take a normal League 1 striker 3-4 half chances to score. Keep an eye on a young lad called James Maddison too, very very talented player. Been linked with all the top Prem sides and most likely won't be here next season/January with SISU's track record.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:52 am

CCFC721 wrote:... with SISU's track record.

Haven't you got rid of those shysters, SISU, yet? :evil:

mskyblue

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:59 am

otiswfc wrote:

Clearly resident WUM in chief. Shouldn't really bite, but the Walsall - Shrewsbury derby comments made me smile. Did you write that with a straight face? You played them twice 2 seasons ago at home, in the league and FA Cup. The attendances were 4000 and 3000. Not being funny, but when we play Leicester the crowd is always 20,000+ (ie above average)

No issue with Walsall really, well run club and all that. Met some of your fans on your last visit to the Ricoh and they were a top bunch. Some of you did get a bit self-righteous when our club teetered on the brink of extinction, but you weren't the only ones.

Looking forward to the game. Two teams in form. Should be a good game.

Oh and BTW, L1 is cack. It is shite. And we're in this league precisely because we have been shite for the past 4 seasons. We are where we deserve to be.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:45 am

Lets straighten out the rivalry post here

WBA - 2 mile away, never really been a rival, we quite like them, played them quite abit in my time generally always 3 points

Wolves - 4 miles away, they will say we arent but when we go too there ground were always there season home record gate like a couple seasons back, definate rival

Villa - 10 miles away, never a rival, we dont really care for them and they dont really care for us

Blues - 14 miles away, never a rival and no malice from either side of the fans, much prefer them to villa anyway

Port Fail - 50 miles away, league one rival nothing else

Shrewsbury - 50 miles away, defitnate rival more from them pushing it for reasons that cant be repeated on here

& believe it or not but Stoke! 45 miles away, dont play them much now but historically weve played them alot, used to consider that rabble a big rival until investors took them too the promised land

Cant really be considered a rival anymore

So we have 2 real "rivals" shrewsbury & wolves

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 am

Anyone got any popcorn?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:42 am

I can't think of a football club that is nearer than either Shrewsbury or Port Vale that we have played regularly over my lifetime.

That's why I always think of then, particularly Shrewsbury, as our local rivals.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Lets straighten out the rivalry post here

WBA - 2 mile away, never really been a rival, we quite like them, played them quite abit in my time generally always 3 points

Wolves - 4 miles away, they will say we arent but when we go too there ground were always there season home record gate like a couple seasons back, definate rival

Villa - 10 miles away, never a rival, we dont really care for them and they dont really care for us

Blues - 14 miles away, never a rival and no malice from either side of the fans, much prefer them to villa anyway

Port Fail - 50 miles away, league one rival nothing else

Shrewsbury - 50 miles away, defitnate rival more from them pushing it for reasons that cant be repeated on here

& believe it or not but Stoke! 45 miles away, dont play them much now but historically weve played them alot, used to consider that rabble a big rival until investors took them too the promised land

Cant really be considered a rival anymore

So we have 2 real "rivals" shrewsbury & wolves

I guess you're 20 or younger? Any Walsall fan that doesn't consider Vale a rival wasnt a fan in the 80s. As for not calling Villa a rival, you obviously don't come from the Aldridge/Rushall side of town.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:09 am

Its always been Solihull Moors and Standard Liege for me as rivals.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:12 am

I believe I may have inadvertently started this scrap. Oops! Lot's of pea-cocking it seems, notice that my original post was complimentary and has been completely bypassed.

Anyway, I hope we beat Coventry on Saturday and then if they stay in around the promotion spots I don't particularly mind! Anyone but Sheffield United, bleurgh! Oh and Millwall (and I suppose Shrewsbury...). In fact everyone, I want everyone to finish 24th bar Walsall..... :)

UTS!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 am

derbysaddler wrote:Its always been Solihull Moors and Standard Liege for me as rivals.

:lol:

Don't forget HNK Rijeka..

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 am

A Villa fan I work with asked me to listen out for any chants about the Villa from the Cov fans - he asked to see "if they're still obsessed with them".

Not trying to incite our Cov friends - just relaying what was said.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:08 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Its always been Solihull Moors and Standard Liege for me as rivals.

Why did you bring up those utter barclays?

Day ruined now, thanks Soton.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Biggest fixture for Coventry well since the last one. They'll be proper up for it from the off, to win would mean the world to their supporters.

Open top bus parade planned if they win I've heard. :lol:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:27 pm

mskyblue wrote:No issue with Walsall really, well run club and all that. Met some of your fans on your last visit to the Ricoh and they were a top bunch. Some of you did get a bit self-righteous when our club teetered on the brink of extinction, but you weren't the only ones.

Nothing personal against Coventry City in that sense, it was a joke that you had to camp at Northampton and a situation that should never have been allowed to develop into that farce, the FA were they're usual inept self. SISU are bad news and shitty organisations like that should be definitely kept away from professional football.

mskyblue wrote: Not being funny, but when we play Leicester the crowd is always 20,000+ (ie above average)

erm, that's great, good for you, really chuffed about that.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:03 pm

derbysaddler wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:

Why did you bring up those utter barclays?

Day ruined now, thanks Soton.

I don't know what came over me, many apologies!

CCFC721

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Biggest fixture for Coventry well since the last one. They'll be proper up for it from the off, to win would mean the world to their supporters.

Open top bus parade planned if they win I've heard. :lol:

:P

Technically speaking it is your biggest game.

Biggest attendance v CCFC 12/13
Biggest attendance v CCFC 14/15
Biggest attendance v CCFC 15/16 most likely

The only odd one out is 13/14 where Wolves came down and had about 4,000 fans in a 10,000 attendance? Bet there were a few WBA about too. Actually you are expecting a similar amount of home home fans as you did against Wolves on Saturday.

CCFC - funding Walsall since we came into this division.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season