Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:04 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Very good performance, Lalko and Demetriou really stood out to be. Everyone else was solid with 7 or 8's.

Referee was an absolute joke, every time we (Sawyers in particular) brushed up against them it was an instant foul, but when we got thrown to the floor is similar or worse challenges it was waved away. Very frustrating.

Only downers was the racism I heard in block 6 directed towards Johnson and how fudge sweaty and hot it was, give me a Tuesday night in January over that weather any day!

Hope you reported it!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:25 pm

Not much to add.....a very good team performance. Everyone contributed and we generally kept possession very well. Dean has certainly learned the art of team rotation although ,of course ,he now has the players to do that in most positions. Expect a different team on Tuesday and encourage as many as possible to get down there and support the lads.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:31 pm

A real pleasure to watch such a confident squad of players and long may that continue.

Can't disagree with any of what's already been said about those on the pitch - minimum of 7/10 from everyone, with the odd 8/10 from the likes of Demetriou, Chambers & Lalkovic.

For all Smith's criticisms in the past over his lack of 'game management' (rightly so in most cases, by the way), I thought he got things more or less spot-on today. There might have been a few groans from those behind me when Cook came on for Lalkovic, but it proved to be a great decision. Cook kept the ball well, ran it into the corner, and tracked back to support Taylor really well. Lalkovic doesn't like doing the latter, not least when he's shattered, so it was a sensible move. Similarly, bringing Morris on have them something different to think about, and we actually started to look more dangerous down that side despite also trying to hold a lead.

The team selection from the start was spot-on too. The quality of Forde's run for the first goal justified his selection by itself, and as Smith said after the game, Lalkovic loves matches with atmospheres like that. You can't argue with two assists from him.

It was a shame we couldn't manage a clean sheet given how quiet we kept Armstrong, but sometimes you just have to applaud goals like that. I don't think even the best in the world would have saved that one.

If I was to make one suggestion to Smith right now, it'd be to stay on the hunt for another couple of players. It'd be easy to stick with what we've got after such a good start, but I still think we're potentially dangerously light at centre half. Let's not forget, we'll be a much more attractive prospect to players looking for a new club and clubs looking to send players out on loan now we're sitting fairly pretty in second place.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:38 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:we're sitting fairly pretty in second place.

Joint top was the consensus in the Saddlers Club :mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Rob..Smith has said recently that he needs 2 more players. I think he will get them before 1st September. He is looking for permanent signings not loans as well. Lets hope he is successful.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Loved everything about the game today especially feeling nervous all match. Always loved our club but this is a team to be really in love with. Please Tom and Rico stay and get us up. You will be immortal .
Up the Saddlers forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Walsall's first goal is offside for me. A Walsall player is clearly interfering with play and limiting the eyeline of Lee Burge.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:52 pm

CCFC721 wrote:Walsall's first goal is offside for me. A Walsall player is clearly interfering with play and limiting the eyeline of Lee Burge.

We'd have probably scored a few more if the ref wasn't completely one sided. Johnson's man handling of Bradshaw was ridiculous. Sawyers brushed players and had fouls given against him left right and centre.

IF it was offside, it was deserved in our favour. I don't think it was offside mind you.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Best Wishes to Coventry for the remainder of the season. I was touched by how many of their fans came to our open day training session today.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Trying not to get carried away with the start but getting pretty optimistic about this season. The young players are progressing nicely and we have a strength in depth in most areas.

The bonus is that we haven't depended on any loan players so far. The players who have started so well are our own. As previously noted though, we will lose players to injuries/suspensions/international duty before long so a few extra additions would be wise while we are doing so well.

Bring on Blackpool next week!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:58 pm

CCFC721 wrote:Walsall's first goal is offside for me. A Walsall player is clearly interfering with play and limiting the eyeline of Lee Burge.

Coventry's was offside as well for me, all those players in the box were interfering with play and limiting the eyline of Neil Etheridge, offside.

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Best Wishes to Coventry for the remainder of the season. I was touched by how many of their fans came to our open day training session today.

No problem. It now means you can keep Bradshaw for another few days now. :wink:

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:09 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:

Coventry's was offside as well for me, all those players in the box were interfering with play and limiting the eyline of Neil Etheridge, offside.

https://twitter.com/deanocity3/status/6 ... 0299080704

That's offside

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:15 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

How was Johnson not punished for continuously fouling Tom Bradshaw?

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Player made no attempt made for the ball and was bending down so keeper could see the shot. Not offside.

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Didn't look offside from where I was sitting...

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:20 pm

scott_powell wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

Reda is dog cack and can't defend for crap. He manhandles his attacker every game and somehow gets away with it - maybe refs just look at his size and presume he's just using his size effectively and fairly. Pisses me off how many of our fans idolise him just because he appreciates the fans after the game a bit more than most.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:21 pm

CCFC - think it's called "tough cack".

Brilliant start Dean and the boys. I'm surprised, excited and drunk in equal measure.

Having been away on hols for our last four games(if anyone wants to start a whip round to keep me away then let me know!), I'm really looking forward to seeing the next three games against various seaside opponents in three different competitions.

Love the way the opposition won't have a scooby who will be playing and in what formation. Options all over the shop. Love it.

More Super Bock please barman and Up The Saddlers!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

Reda is dog cack and can't defend for crap. He manhandles his attacker every game and somehow gets away with it - maybe refs just look at his size and presume he's just using his size effectively and fairly. Pisses me off how many of our fans idolise him just because he appreciates the fans after the game a bit more than most.

He's cack! I have no idea how he got away with it today!
Last edited by scott_powell on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Demitriou is fast becoming my favourite player. Just think he is a good modern attacking full back that wouldn't look out of his depth at a higher level. Good find by DS. Best game I've seen in a long time today. Lost voice after about half an hour. We just seem to be more positive in possession and more assured when defending. Everyone put a shift in, Im a happy bunny tonight.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:25 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

Benteke's was offside because the player went for the ball, went to play a shot.

This is not because he isn't moving, an eyeline being blocked does not constitute offside, he isn't playing the ball or going for it, just standing there.

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Well it's impossible to judge, everyone has an opinion. Offside rule is dogshit anyway and needs looking at because there can be no definite answer.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Just landed in Manchester but managed to find the result before we flew, absolute cracking result and feel so proud uts.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:33 pm

It wasn't ruled offside so that's that really. If it was the other way round you wouldn't be fussed.

3 points to us anyway, if it was ruled offside you'd have got a huge 1 point, against Walsall, in League One. Fantastic.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:44 pm

CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

Ah well, the ref gave it so who gives a fudge!!!
Oh, before i forget, thanks for this months rent. 3 points and the bills paid, happy days!!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 pm

An excellent all round display today every player gave 100% with no weak links a well earned and deserved win
Thought oconner outstanding in defence and llalkovic best game yet causing havoc down the wing.
Dean Smith seems to have complete change from last season with most of last seasons faults gone.

Lack of goals 11 in 5 games what a change .
Crab football gone I love this attacking style.
No plan B now got plans A B and C.

Early days long may it continue will be interesting to see how we recover after first defeat (hopefully not too soon)

Fans backing today best for long time great atmosphere/

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Went to Forest, but first home game for me this season owing to holiday.
Very pleased with what I've seen so far.
Didn't think we played that much differently on the whole from last season in terms of shape.
Big differences for me were Demetriou who was very good and the endeavour (and effectiveness) of Lalkovic, combined with the strength of the defence, who as a unit hardly put a foot/head wrong all game.
I have not been a big fan of Downing, but his performance today was without error and quite commanding.
We usually make stupid defensive mistakes putting unnecessary pressure on ourselves, but that seems to have been eliminated, which is progress.
The goals were very well taken and are getting shared around a little more.
I fear the only aspect of our game that hasn't developed/improved is the conundrum that is Sawyers.
As much as I don't want to be accused of negativity, the reality is that the performance of Sawyers was our only weakness.
Our play consistently broke down with him either failing to take, or make possession. I have made my feelings about him known before so don't want to bore you again.
I don't buy the view that he is head and shoulders above the others in terms of ability and vision and even if he were, vision has to be properly executed, which he largely failed to do today.
I am very encouraged, however, that we can produce performances such as this, without a significant contribution from him.
If the manager can consistently solve this "problem", then we could be on to something.
Additional mentions should go the centre of midfield where Chambers and Mantom played very well.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Most of what I think has been said already but the things that really struck me were...

Demetriou was outstanding - 9 or 10 for me today. There were some good performances today but he was head and shoulders MOTM.

Mantom is getting better and better.

Downing and O'Connor are developing nicely.

The result flattered Cov massively. Without a wonder goal, it is a comfortable 2 or 3 nil.

Bradshaw wound their CH up a treat.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Just got back fom a couple of days in Amsterdam. Internet service fudge today so only found out the result tonight.

Absolutely bostin. Well done Dean and the players.

Glad I picked up this bottle of Honey Jack Daniels at the airport :D

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:49 pm

First game of the season for me due to holidays and I thought we were excellent. I thought Purkiss was unlucky to be released but now I've seen Demetriou in action, I'm glad! I thought he was excellent, some great tackles/blocks/interceptions defensively and some great runs forward, superb passing and full of energy - I think I might be in love! I've been very critical of Smith, but he seems to have had a transformation over the summer in his outlook - well done Dean, keep it up. This season has a bit of a feel of the Brandy/Grigg/Patterson season, very attacking. I though Cov were made to look poor by us and we controlled the game from start to finish and should really have had 4 or 5.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season