Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (H) League One, 22nd August, 3pm

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Depending on which interpretation of the offside rule you want to make, that second goal may well have been offside. For my money though, Rochdale's goal on Tuesday wasn't even close to being over the line, so swings and roundabouts and all that.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Walsallone wrote:Rob..Smith has said recently that he needs 2 more players. I think he will get them before 1st September. He is looking for permanent signings not loans as well. Lets hope he is successful.

He's definitely working on one loan by the sounds - an u21 player from a Premier League club according to the OS.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/dean-smith-walsall-2637811.aspx

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Rob..Smith has said recently that he needs 2 more players. I think he will get them before 1st September. He is looking for permanent signings not loans as well. Lets hope he is successful.

He's definitely working on one loan by the sounds - an u21 player from a Premier League club according to the OS.

I understood that as we would take the player of their hands permanently, ala Mantom.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:06 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/dean-smith-walsall-2637811.aspx[/quote="WFC_Rob"]

Two good signings suddenly turn a decent start into a realistic chance of a good season. We can play... no doubt about that... just a few more options and it gets very interesting.

Obviously Bradshaw staying is key though as well.

CCFC721

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Nice touch.

Great result! Happy with that.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:38 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I understood that as we would take the player of their hands permanently, ala Mantom.

We sign players currently under contract so rarely, I'd be surprised. You never know though.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:42 pm

CCFC721 wrote:https://twitter.com/sie_wfc_1979/status/635159243734257664

:)

Nice one mate. Respect.

SWS1

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:, we will lose players to injuries/suspensions/international duty before long so a few extra additions would be wise while we are doing so well.

!

It's great to see that ain't it :D our international players!

Dead chuffed today :D
And why not? :D
Whoop de do! :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:47 pm

SWS1 wrote:
Pheasey_Saddler wrote:, we will lose players to injuries/suspensions/international duty before long so a few extra additions would be wise while we are doing so well.

!

It's great to see that ain't it :D our international players!

Dead chuffed today :D
And why not? :D
Whoop de do! :D

If Demetriou gets called up i'd be fudge gutted. Quality signing.

SWS1

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Bradshaw might get the call, too.
:D I think :? Or is it :(
Seriously, I think he deserves it and it would do him, and us, good.
UTS
:D

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:16 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Didn't think we played that much differently on the whole from last season in terms of shape.

It looks subtle on paper maybe, but it was firmly 4-1-4-1 and not 4-2-3-1 today, with Chambers generally sitting very disciplined in front of the back four (and on a day of many good performances, his stood out to me as the best) and when he did venture forward a bit, Mantom always, always dropped back to cover. Sawyers was in central midfield, not playing as a number ten, but the discipline of the other two still allowed him to venture into space. Also the wingers were not just wide forwards, they were playing as traditional wingers. All that made us so much more solid as a defensive unit but still let us get forward effectively.

Seriously impressed how Smith is tweaking things from one game to the next - not just the players, I don't think we've played the same formation two games running yet. Given how inflexible he has seemed before, it's quite a bold step and is really paying dividends.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:It looks subtle on paper maybe, but it was firmly 4-1-4-1 and not 4-2-3-1 today, with Chambers generally sitting very disciplined in front of the back four (and on a day of many good performances, his stood out to me as the best) and when he did venture forward a bit, Mantom always, always dropped back to cover.

Not sure I agree with that completely. I agree that we were trying to play that way, but I felt the Portuguese kid - number 8 I think - they had playing for them found far too much space between our midfield and centre halves a couple of times too many for my liking.

I realise I really am clutching at straws for any criticisms of today's performance, but if there was one it was that our midfield shape was a bit too flat when we were defending in the second half. That said, I thought Mantom and Chambers were two of the best players on the pitch, so it's not as if there's any major cause for concern.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:45 pm

Yes Rob,Johnny is correct it is a permanent signing if it comes off. Smith indicated a few weeks back he didn't really want loan signings from the Premiership because of stipulations regarding paying time. Mantom was acquired in a similar way I think so lets hope it happens.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:01 pm

I thought he looked like a decent player, but thought we were really solid. They scored a real world class goal from outside the box and hit the woodwork from a freekick but otherwise didn't have much of a look in, fashioning very little in our box (unless my memory's wiping them out in all the excitement).

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:36 am

Great result and richly deserved it seems. Well done the lads.

CCFC721 - Final word and a bit of a reality check.

Dean Smith is pretty good, but no genius - is it possible that Cov aren't quite as spectacular as you were earlier making out 'better hope we're not so clinical' etc. Whooo scary! :D

I think 'we', or a team of similar stature are your future, possibly along with the likes of long term Championship denizens Ipswich Town IF all goes well for you. In all likelihood, you may be playing one or other of us every season from now on.

The 34 years and Villa contests are a distant memory and are more than likely to remain just that. Football has changed, and I can't think of a worse moment to slip out of the Premier than you did. The money is now beyond grotesque, creating a vast gulf between the Premier and the rest. You are just one of the rest, and not even one of the more well positioned clubs.

Watford and Bournemouth, overnight, instantly became vastly superior to you in terms of their long term chances. Add to that list any of the clubs that have tasted the premier riches in the last few years. If a truly monstrous club like Leeds can't find their way back in, what right do you have? Clearly none.

If it's any consolation, there is a long running history between our clubs. Anyone attending matches before Jimmy Hill's influence changed Coventry's fortunes can recount tales of on the pitch player battles, special referees and real ding-dong clashes. What goes around, eventually comes around.

Welcome to reality, and it's nice to have you back! :wink:

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:41 am

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:03 am

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:11 am

CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:Walsall's first goal is offside for me. A Walsall player is clearly interfering with play and limiting the eyeline of Lee Burge.

Coventry's was offside as well for me, all those players in the box were interfering with play and limiting the eyline of Neil Etheridge, offside.

https://twitter.com/deanocity3/status/6 ... 0299080704

That's offside

The picture that you show is too late. That is after Tom has hit the ball and it's on it's way into the net. if you look at this picture at the moment thsat he hits it, you will see that our other player (can't quite make out who it is) while standing in an offside position is at the side of the cov keeper and not obstructing his view and therefore not offside.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 am

Great post Saigon.

Just to add, Coventry and the likes of Luton, Oldham and Notts County were in the gang of 22 top-flight clubs who resigned en-masse from the Football League to create the Premier League. So whilst the reality of being excluded from that club for a very very long time may hurt, and finding it ever-more difficult to get re-established as a second-flight club may hurt even more, it is a reality that they helped lay the foundations for.

Don't forget it was also Coventry who were right in the vanguard for a so-called "Phoenix league" which would protect second tier clubs from relegation and therefore cast asunder those of us beneath that level. Whilst the Pheonix league didn't happen, greater parachute payments and Championship consolidation money now makes the Championship another exclusive club that for the time being Coventry are excluded from.

"What goes around, comes around". Indeed.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 am

saddla wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:Walsall's first goal is offside for me. A Walsall player is clearly interfering with play and limiting the eyeline of Lee Burge.

Coventry's was offside as well for me, all those players in the box were interfering with play and limiting the eyline of Neil Etheridge, offside.

That's offside

The picture that you show is too late. That is after Tom has hit the ball and it's on it's way into the net. if you look at this picture at the moment thsat he hits it, you will see that our other player (can't quite make out who it is) while standing in an offside position is at the side of the cov keeper and not obstructing his view and therefore not offside.

That is definitely offside for me. He is clearly obstructing the 'keeper. I'd say that we got away with one there.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:42 am

chestersaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

That is definitely offside for me. He is clearly obstructing the 'keeper. I'd say that we got away with one there.

For him to be offside he has to be obstructing the keepers view at the instant the ball is struck. Or he has to touch the ball. In this case he does neither of those. Not offside.

Here are the FA interpretation instructions:

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/laws-of-the-game/11-v-11/interpretation%20of%20laws%202015-16/law-11---interpretation-of-the-laws-of-the-game-2015-16.ashx

Check paragraphs 6 and 7

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 am

chestersaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

That's offside

Does not the fact that the goalkeeper has parried the ball out to Tom Bradshaw rather than him scoring from a straightforward pass or cross not affect things?

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:46 am

Cov won't get many offside decisions this season, if Johnson and Ricketts play as deep every week as they did yesterday.

On a similar note, I was actually quite gutted when Mowbray hauled their right back off (Willis?), as Lalkovic and Taylor had been tearing him a new one up to that point.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:25 am

Who cares if it was given offside or not, the referee didn't think so (incredible given his bias, particularly in the first half), and that's all that matters.

There was only one team going to win that game, and we were the ones with many other chances.

Delight to watch, but we'e always good and more attacking when confidence is high. I hope the heads don't drop when we go behind or have to react to a defeat. We've definitely got more strength in depth this season, with more to follow (and hopefully none to leave just yet), and Smith is using that depth to keep everyone on their toes.

Brighton will be a real marker of how good we are judging by their equal start at the higher level.

SWS1

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:17 am

Forgive my ignorance, Guest, but I presume there's a good reason why you omit the goals from your otherwise excellent match coverage. Pray, what is that reason?
Also, how come the "Sky Bet" moniker is attached to your video extract?
I'm really intrigued and would love to know...
:?: :? :D

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 pm

after that display is there anybody left who fails to appreciate what chambers contributes to the team?

a few of us behind the goal felt our 2nd was offside, but we also thought the lad who injured himself going in studs 1st on chambers shoulda walked, and i'm yet to discover a cov fan whining about that.

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:45 pm

SWS1 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, Guest, but I presume there's a good reason why you omit the goals from your otherwise excellent match coverage. Pray, what is that reason?
Also, how come the "Sky Bet" moniker is attached to your video extract?
I'm really intrigued and would love to know...
:?: :? :D

It's not my video, but was taken from very near where I was sitting. The reason the goals are missing, I would think, is that it is very difficult to anticipate when the goals are going to be scored, and you don't have your camera trained on the action the whole time.

I filmed some of the game yesterday, and have the same goal celebrations, but missed the goals. I haven't uploaded anything myself as I am restricted mostly to my data connection while visiting from Hong Kong. When I get back home next week, I'll consider uploading something, but it will be old news by then.

Meanwhile, here's another video I've found (with the goals).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ1r59hkaQ

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Great win. Every player on the pitch played well. Especially impressed with Demetriou, O'Connor, Chambers and Lalkovic.

Coventry really didn't live up to the hype, or we just made them look average. Armstrong was anonymous, the skinny Portuguese guy looked tricky, but we stiffiled him completely. Johnson was allowed to manhandle Bradshaw with impunity, but Super Tom kept going and got his reward - right place, right time yet again!

We asked for more goals and excitement and Deano has delivered, so a big will done to him

With crisis club Blackpool up next in the league, things are looking pretty good!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Not offside in a month of Sundays.
Nice to see Tom reacting a lot quicker than the man mountain assigned to mark him - ne couldn't have got any closer if he tried.

Talking of Blackpool: they're overrun with Gypsies at the moment. Not too sure if they will still be there next week.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season