Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League One, Tue 18th August, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (A) League One, Tue 18th August, 7.45pm

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:54 pm

A telling comment from a Rochdale fans' message board:

"Credit to Walsall. The way they play is always gonna have sides on the back foot, and they looked a million miles from the side that we pulverised twelve months ago."

:mrgreen:

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 pm

I've never been a SMITHOUT poster but I have been very frustrated by the style of play, especially at home, over the last season or so. The rigid 4-2-3-1 formation last season didn't work because we didn't have enough pace in the side. Consequently, when we counter-attacked, our loan striker was too isolated and we also didn't commit enough players forward. The result was pretty dire, uninspiring and aimless football. Deano seems to have addressed these issues so far this season and also showed much more tactical flexibility. I am truly ecstatic about the great start to the season, I really hope we can keep it up by beating Coventry on Saturday. UTS

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just got back...what a fabulous, fabulous, result. We were epic.
I want to see this side more and more now, we suddenly look lively and attack minded, when we attack we look as though we CAN score....it's utterly marvellous, I am so happy!
We broke 'em good and proper, and their 'goal' that never was, certainly never crossed the line, the Ref & linesman got it wrong.......end of.
We don't need those extra signings after all, (note to WalsallOne) I cannot believe this is almost the same squad as last year, What a transformation! Milan certainly makes all the difference! They are exciting to watch, attack minded and look like promotion contenders, bring on Coventry!
The men in white coats are coming for me now to administer my pills, I am looking far to happy, something's wrong, it has to stop!
MP Saddler you got it wrong mate, we will be in contention, no doubt in my mind.
Prediction time.........Rico Henry will be in the Championship if not the Premier League before very long, he may indeed turn out to be our biggest transfer in history....8 stone wet through he has the tenacity, power speed and strength that will have the scouts wetting themselves to get his signature!
Saddlers for promotion! :D :D :D :D

Something tells me you haven't been boiling your water, lately.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Very happy to come away with a win, particular mention must go to Adam Chambers for a Martin O'Connor type display - combative, constructive and inspiring. Hoping for a similar result against the rent dodgers on Saturday but without the panicky defence in the last ten minutes. Playing Lalkovic in preference to Cook is a must as is the need to sign a centre half - high balls into the box constantly induced panic into the defence who were caught out on a number of occasions.

SMITHOUT :D

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I'd like to hear from the SMITHOUT mob regarding our start to the season ...

New formations, different team selections, 9 goals in 4 games ... Not bad aye? Smith deserves a lot of credit.

That post does you no favours.

PT'S post above says it exactly for me.

If Smith does indeed carry on in this vein then he will deserve the plaudits. The fact that the SMITHOUT's were calling for a Plan B (and C), flexible team selections and a more open, attacking style of play seems to have passed you by. Given that he's made most of the changes his crtitics were calling for, who was right, them or the ones defending him to the hilt?

Classic. I was waiting for the SMITHOUTs to take the credit for our good start.

Well done the SMITHOUTs for telling Walsall to 'score more goals' and 'win more matches'.Walsall Fc is forever in your debt.

Shame on those of us who could see Smith has always been managing his limited resources as intelligently as possible with the long term good of the club in mind.

This!

Jesus, we're 3 games in, had a good start and yet some seek to create infighting. As I said before, let us ALL hope we don't repeat our recent trend of going another long period without a win. :roll:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 am

Only just got back, my 2nd time driving on the moterway and there was an hour long hold up to move 2 miles on the M6, so fudge boring :lol:

Pretty forgettable game until 2/3rd's through, it was pretty even until then. Andy Taylor just went on a lovely little run, played in Milan who crossed back for him to finish it and suddenly the game livened up. From then on it was proper tense, Mantom scored a dodgy deflection, but we wouldn't of shot from their last season - and if you don't buy a ticket...

Pretty solid defensive display and offensively we look quite dangerous in both systems. Very good performance, noticeable good performances from Andy Taylor, O'Connor, Mantom and Milan.

A lot of reason's to be optimistic... incoming 3-0 thrashing to Coventry to send us back down to earth... :lol:

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:24 am

IHTC. wrote: We all said Smith was tactically inept and intruth he was but it appears he's done a lot of learning over the pre season and long may it continue. I am so happy now, sorry to disappoint you.

Quote from Mark Twain:
“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:36 am

Some great individual performances last night. Saturday will be a huge test.

Great result...nightmare journey though.

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:52 am

Highlights - including the 'goal' that never crossed the line

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -2-walsall

caldy
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:02 am

Just seen the goals, their goal was never over the line. I've posted the link, I hope it works.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -2-walsall

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:13 am

https://audioboom.com/boos/3480869-hear ... sport-rafc

Interesting interview with Keith Hill, i like his take on our second goal. The reporter presses him to claim it was a lucky deflection that gave us the win to which Keith Hill responds 'bad block, not a lucky ricochet, it was a bad block, you don't turn your back on the ball you take one in the chest, in the cahoonas'.

Up the Saddlers.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:18 am

Great result, check Mantom out, he's getting confident in taking a shot now.

We have to go at Coventry now on Saturday, send out a signal of intent to our players, fans and the division that we won't be a pushover at home any more.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 am

I hope you have calmed down this am. AM...all this excitement cannot be good for you :D . I still think we need 2 players to ensure the squad is strong enough to sustain this start. A CH and a CM...the latter being an absolute must because Chambers won't play every game.UTS

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:18 am

Excellent stuff, well done Dean - great start to the season.

There is a bit of handbags flying around at the moment here but generally it seems in good spirit.

I don't think Smith has suddenly learned this pre season how to construct a team. I believe he has been building up to this. Last year he perhaps was a little relegation nervous and thus the football we played was maybe too cautious (I still think last year was a successful campaign and anyone calling for his head was a moron!), this year he's going for head shots!
What impresses me the most is the depth we have in the squad - he's changing the team every game at the moment. That's is cracking to see.

UTS!! Bring on the Sky Blues.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:04 am

The difference so far for me this season is werre going for that second goal, rather than trying to hang onto 1 nills all the time

We've complained we dont score enough goals for a couple of seasons now it looks as if Dean has taken this onboard.

We've very flexible going forward now with Forde, Milan, Cook, Taylor and the imergence of Rico Henry & Demetrieou or however he spells it haha

We have pace and skill all over the flanks and an end product with Bradshaw and Sawyers so far this season.

Long may it continue but I'm still worried for the visit of our bogey team an in form
Coventry City.

If we can win this get CB and a CM and maybe another Hiwula on loan this season the skies the limit for this team.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 am

Keith Hill is one opposition manager I genuinely like. He's doing a great job and doesn't have hissy fits if his team loses.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:08 am

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ue-9883192

"Walsall have invested heavily over the summer" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I'd like to hear from the SMITHOUT mob regarding our start to the season ...

New formations, different team selections, 9 goals in 4 games ... Not bad aye? Smith deserves a lot of credit.

If Smith does indeed carry on in this vein then he will deserve the plaudits. The fact that the SMITHOUT's were calling for a Plan B (and C), flexible team selections and a more open, attacking style of play seems to have passed you by. Given that he's made most of the changes his crtitics were calling for, who was right, them or the ones defending him to the hilt?

Well done the SMITHOUTs for telling Walsall to 'score more goals' and 'win more matches'.Walsall Fc is forever in your debt.

Shame on those of us who could see Smith has always been managing his limited resources as intelligently as possible with the long term good of the club in mind.

Pathetic!

Nobody is taking credit for the good start. it is Smith who has made the changes that have resulted in the upturn in fortunes. Pity it took him a season and a half to cotton on. The fact that some of the changes that Smith has made have been called for on here for over a year is something that can't be denied.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:29 pm

tinned wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:

Pathetic!

Nobody is taking credit for the good start. it is Smith who has made the changes that have resulted in the upturn in fortunes. Pity it took him a season and a half to cotton on. The fact that some of the changes that Smith has made have been called for on here for over a year is something that can't be denied.

I've been critical of Smith, and have called for many of the same things the SMITHOUT's have, but actually have never been at the point i've wanted him out.

Does that mean I can take credit for anything - i'm confused? :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:33 pm

kshammer wrote:
tinned wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:

Pathetic!

I've been critical of Smith, and have called for many of the same things the SMITHOUT's have, but actually have never been at the point i've wanted him out.

Does that mean I can take credit for anything - i'm confused? :D

It just means you need to have those splinters taken out of your arse :D

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:48 pm

I think we need to give Sallian some credit here.

It's obvious that our manager read a few of his posts during the 2014-15 campaign (although if your read one of them it gave you a clear indication of the content of all his other posts), met up for a chat, asked him to be his mentor and took on board his comments about the need to score more goals and that it is goals that win games (as long as we get more than the oppo), in case you didn't know. :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Where is Sallion? I have really missed reading his essays on how to play football successfully...I knew something was missing from my life...and now thanks to Super Gabor I know what it is.....

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm

To be fair, he was spot on in saying we needed Grimes and Bax in the team.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 pm

tinned wrote:

We've only won away games so far this season and last season we had fantastic performance away at Wolves, Doncaster, Mk Dons, Preston and others and we were near the top of the table for away results.

I posted numerous times on this theme last season. So far nothing much has changed.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:50 pm

aaaae wrote:
tinned wrote:

We've only won away games so far this season and last season we had fantastic performance away at Wolves, Doncaster, Mk Dons, Preston and others and we were near the top of the table for away results.

I posted numerous times on this theme last season. So far nothing much has changed.

I know what you mean, but we're on a decent run at home - 7 unbeaten at the moment if you include the 6 played at the end of last season.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:03 pm

TheSwift wrote:"Walsall have invested heavily over the summer" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the chairman's pension fund...

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 pm

kshammer wrote:Keith Hill is one opposition manager I genuinely like. He's doing a great job and doesn't have hissy fits if his team loses.

Completely agree. Always calls it as he sees it, and never through rose-(or blue-) tinted specs. Puts some of his Premier League counterparts to shame.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Yes I really like Hill aswell, the sort of bloke you could have a funny 2-3 hours down the pub with.

Think he can manage at a higher level, he was unlucky at Barnsley.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:27 am

Great start to the season, and I hope it continues.

Smith appears to have found a plan B, so well done to him - shame it took him 2 seasons since people first started point this out, but hey ho.

My worry now is that it's still very early days, his new formation may get found out by scouts, and we'll revert to the same old problems. There are encouraging signs though - more goals, more attacking intent.

As ever, let's give it 10 games - then we'll judge. At the moment, my opinion is that I think he'll get found out again, he's just a bit thick, he doesn't react and doesn't see the value of having strong physical players. Simply playing a new formation with a similar squad make-up wont change that.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Great start to the season, and I hope it continues.

Smith appears to have found a plan B, so well done to him - shame it took him 2 seasons since people first started point this out, but hey ho.

It didn't take him 2 years to find a plan B, it took him that long to repalce the dross squad he was left with and gradually improve it, with no budget, whilst still having to sell his best players. You can't change a squad wholesale when you have no budget, and when you're stuck with the likes of Taundry, Brain etc it's tough.

Smith has made mistakes, and will continue to do so. Like everyone involved at this level, player, manager or coach, they're not going to be perfect, and if they are they move on pretty quickly. The whole infrastructure of the club has improved under Smith compared the shambles that preceeded it. That shouldn't be underestimated. That is now set up, so the results have to follow, especially at home if we want more fans regularly returning.

He was unlucky last season in that Mantom would have been a key player for us, like he has been so far, because he gets forward and gets shots in, which either go in, or rebound for others to follow up. If he'd played most of the season, and we'd got another half a dozen games out of the play offs, we would have been within a gnats knacker of the play off places, if not in them. Smith can't be faulted for losing one of his best players to injury for a season, when the budget isn't big enough to have quality back up. Flanagan's improvement means we have got decent back up now, and is many other positions, and it's showing so far.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season