Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League One, Tue 18th August, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (A) League One, Tue 18th August, 7.45pm

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm

tinned wrote:Really need to find some consistent home form now to really push on.

Agree with that. The away form's reached a point where - without having looked at the stats - we must be a top half League One side. Get the home form sorted and things could start to get interesting.

"We'll score more goals," Smith said. Well it may be early days, but nine goals in our first four games suggests we're at least trying to right the wrongs of last season. It took us until the 27th September (12 games) last season to reach nine goals.

asimpson
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:10 pm

It also worth pointing out that the players are taking the opportunity to shoot much more than last season. 11 shots away from home is a decent return. The second goal proves that if you are positive and take shots on when they are there you have a chance of scoring - even if via a deflection.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Well done the team and the Manager. It looks like we now have plans A,B and C in place and players flexible enough to implement them. Now Dean get those 2 extra players in and what I forecast would be a good season might just be that.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm

I still worry that we won't do the business at home. The pitch width doesn't suit our style of play and there's fudge all that can be done about it.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well done the team and the Manager. It looks like we now have plans A,B and C in place and players flexible enough to implement them. Now Dean get those 2 extra players in and what I forecast would be a good season might just be that.

It is good to see Dean employ a more flexible approach. Interesting to see the rotation of Sawyers. I hope the good start doesn't prevent a couple more signings.

Better start than most could have hoped for :D

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Get in me babbies! I said 2-1. Great result.

Brilliant subs from deano sawyers changed the game!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 pm

I'd like to hear from the SMITHOUT mob regarding our start to the season ...

New formations, different team selections, 9 goals in 4 games ... Not bad aye? Smith deserves a lot of credit.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Just seeing that we've won again so chuffed it's untrue and Smith is hopefully starting to prove me and others wrong, long may it continue. So glad Smith is mixing things up rather than being predictable. Unfortunately cannot make Saturday as I'm flying back but will be cheering the lads on from Faro Airport

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:29 pm

scott_powell wrote:I'd like to hear from the SMITHOUT mob regarding our start to the season ...

New formations, different team selections, 9 goals in 4 games ... Not bad aye? Smith deserves a lot of credit.

Yes he does and none of us are unhappy that's for sure which will disappoint a few people. We all said Smith was tactically inept and intruth he was but it appears he's done a lot of learning over the pre season and long may it continue. I am so happy now, sorry to disappoint you.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:I can't imagine any sane manager making substitutions at HT given the current position.

Hard to call if we're not at the game.

injury aside, listening to a commentary team say we were the better team at half time, i'd say this was a pretty easy call.

SWS1

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Very disappointed in our home form. :(
Just kidding! Gotta wait and see. :|
But what a GREAT set of away results :D and it doesn't seem we were lucky in any of them: well earned results. Credit to the management team who seem to be getting better and better; certainly we seem to have various strategies and tactics worked out this time round :D
EXCELSIOR! :D :D :D :D

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:37 pm

DavidWFC2010 wrote:I'd be tempted to take Chambers off for Sawyers...

Peterborough 1-1 Sheff Utd

while all 3 of sawyers, mantom and flan are more skilful players than chambers, his strengths complement them, and a midfield unit without him lacks those strengths.

PT
Site Addict

Fantastic result. I'm still away and someone was in my lucky seat in my lucky boozer for the first half. Thankfully they left at half time.

It has turned into a really good start. Well done to Dean and the boys for that.

As Tinned rightly says, we now have to find a bit of home form and this could get quite exciting.

UT fudge S

chestersaddler
Site Addict

IHTC. wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I'd like to hear from the SMITHOUT mob regarding our start to the season ...

Yes he does and none of us are unhappy that's for sure which will disappoint a few people. We all said Smith was tactically inept and intruth he was but it appears he's done a lot of learning over the pre season and long may it continue. I am so happy now, sorry to disappoint you.

A couple of generalisations there IHTC. Not everyone thinks Smith has been tactically inept, nor a tactical genius. He is a. Third div manager after all. Also, you and some others are happy to be proved wrong and will argue your opinions, which , most sensible readers will respect. Some, however, will disappear into the long grass until the next opportunity to snipe comes long.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:39 pm

another great result. keep super tom fit and red and we've got a good season ahead.

Derbyshire Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:40 pm

IHTC. wrote:

I get the feeling that Smith's had a few after game drinks with Cotterill and took onboard some valuable knowledge of how to play this league. DS already referred to Bristol's style of play pre season, I reckon Cotterill would have a bit of time for Dean knowing he was going to be in the Chamionship the following season.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Great result again. Would be fantastic to beat Cov to go top on Sat going into the Blackpool game. Will be an extremely tough game though.

Just seen the goals from tonight on SSN - their goal looked dodgy. Didn't look like the ball had crossed the line but hard to tell for sure from the camera angle. 2 good goals from us though, even if Mantom's took a kind deflection!

PT
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (A) League One, Tue 18th August, 7.45pmu

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:50 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

A couple of generalisations there IHTC. Not everyone thinks Smith has been tactically inept, nor a tactical genius. He is a. Third div manager after all. Also, you and some others are happy to be proved wrong and will argue your opinions, which , most sensible readers will respect. Some, however, will disappear into the long grass until the next opportunity to snipe comes long.

Spot on. I still have huge doubts about him but I will him and his team on at every opportunity. I provide good money to his budget and urge him and his players on at loads of games. As indeed to plenty who have voiced similar doubts. Trying to split opinion between " pro" and "anti" misses the point for the majority. I am hugely "pro" because I want him and his team to succeed. I have doubts because of the repetition of mistakes and the frequent durge served up to a really patient set of home fans over the last couple of years.

These three away wins are great. Let's bask for a bit before folk try to polarise. Enjoy the moment. It's nice.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Turning around our home form is the key to a better outcome this season.

The manager appears to have done what the majority of us asked for, that being to jettison his stubbornness.

I was on holiday for the Oldham match so don't know to what extent our approach differed from last season, if at all, in that game.

Coventry did a job on us at home last season, so it will be interesting to see what we have learned.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:55 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

When I said 'we' I was referring to the Smithout clan, just to add if things continue as they are or if not at least a sign that Smith trys new things to get results then I'm more than happy for him to stay.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Let's just appreciate a good start. There's another 43 games to go and the last few seasons have been punctured with long, tedious streaks without a win. You can start taunting the Smithout camp if we're somewhere near third with 3 games to go. :roll:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:

Let's just appreciate a good start. There's another 43 games to go and the last few seasons have been punctured with long, tedious streaks without a win. You can start taunting the Smithout camp if we're somewhere near third with 3 games to go. :roll:

Blimey that's setting the bar a little high isn't it?

So what somewhere near 6th with 3 games to go isn't good enough.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:15 pm

We get the impression that some think we are happy when we lose as it helps our argument, either they a fudged in the head or if any of the Smithout's do feel that way then I suggest they do one.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

Blimey that's setting the bar a little high isn't it?

So what somewhere near 6th with 3 games to go isn't good enough.

:lol:

Don't worry SoccerHQ; some peoples minds literally are in cloud cuckoo land.

Amazing.

I was just about to echo earlier sentiments saying lets just enjoy this. I do understand chesters point however; the majority on here are on here for the love and good of the club. However there are others who you will not see until there is something to whinge about. Kshammer made a good point on one of the posts on the credibility these type of posters have. Wish it was easier to ignore them.

The last thing we should do after another good performance is make this one clan vs another within the clubs fans. When the real idiots post again after a poorer performance lets do our best to rise above it.
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:22 pm

I have never been a SMITHOUTER but like a lot of fans got concerned by an apparent unwillingness to try different things. Some of you may recall I welcomed his changes at the end of last season when he did,at last try something different and we looked much better going forward.
I am pleased he has continued in that vein and hopefully it will lead to a much better season . It is early days and we must see what happens over the next few weeks before we can be confident that the season will be a good one. I think it will mainly because some of our younger players have come of age and are doing well.
Let us enjoy the start and get behind the lads on Saturday.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:26 pm

That post does you no favours.

PT'S post above says it exactly for me.

If Smith does indeed carry on in this vein then he will deserve the plaudits. The fact that the SMITHOUT's were calling for a Plan B (and C), flexible team selections and a more open, attacking style of play seems to have passed you by. Given that he's made most of the changes his crtitics were calling for, who was right, them or the ones defending him to the hilt?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 pm

tinned wrote:

If Smith does indeed carry on in this vein then he will deserve the plaudits. The fact that the SMITHOUT's were calling for a Plan B (and C), flexible team selections and a more open, attacking style of play seems to have passed you by. Given that he's made most of the changes his crtitics were calling for, who was right, them or the ones defending him to the hilt?

You seem to have missed my point.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:34 pm

tinned wrote:

Classic. I was waiting for the SMITHOUTs to take the credit for our good start.

Well done the SMITHOUTs for telling Walsall to 'score more goals' and 'win more matches'.Walsall Fc is forever in your debt.

Shame on those of us who could see Smith has always been managing his limited resources as intelligently as possible with the long term good of the club in mind.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
tinned wrote:

Classic. I was waiting for the SMITHOUTs to take the credit for our good start.

Well done the SMITHOUTs for telling Walsall to 'score more goals' and 'win more matches'.Walsall Fc is forever in your debt.

Shame on those of us who could see Smith has always been managing his limited resources as intelligently as possible with the long term good of the club in mind.

This!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 pm

Just got back...what a fabulous, fabulous, result. We were epic.
I want to see this side more and more now, we suddenly look lively and attack minded, when we attack we look as though we CAN score....it's utterly marvellous, I am so happy!
We broke 'em good and proper, and their 'goal' that never was, certainly never crossed the line, the Ref & linesman got it wrong.......end of.
We don't need those extra signings after all, (note to WalsallOne) I cannot believe this is almost the same squad as last year, What a transformation! Milan certainly makes all the difference! They are exciting to watch, attack minded and look like promotion contenders, bring on Coventry!
The men in white coats are coming for me now to administer my pills, I am looking far to happy, something's wrong, it has to stop!
MP Saddler you got it wrong mate, we will be in contention, no doubt in my mind.
Prediction time.........Rico Henry will be in the Championship if not the Premier League before very long, he may indeed turn out to be our biggest transfer in history....8 stone wet through he has the tenacity, power speed and strength that will have the scouts wetting themselves to get his signature!
Saddlers for promotion! :D :D :D :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season