Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) League One, Sat 15th Aug, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
UTS Legend

Re: Southend United (A) League One, Sat 15th Aug, 3pm

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:23 pm

We had two really good chances right after TB went off, and Cook was involved in creating both. We didn't take them.

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Etheridge made some really good saves in the second half (he wasn't troubled in the first). His kicking does need work - there was one point in the first half when he changed his run three times before kicking straight to a Southend player in a dangerous position. He messed up one cross by running into his own defenders, and gave away his gloves to one of the 373 at the end of the game. A nice touch.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:48 pm

Smithouts after match interview on BBC WM.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3471455-dean ... roots-hall

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Great away win today. A first visit to roots hall which is a proper old fashioned ground.
We controlled the game and really should have scored more than the 2 we did.
A special mention to Neil Etheridge who presented his gloves to my 8 year old at the end of the game.A great gesture. He now has a big fan!

There seems to be a good feeling around the club this season!

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:12 pm

m&m wrote:Great away win today. A first visit to roots hall which is a proper old fashioned ground.
We controlled the game and really should have scored more than the 2 we did.
A special mention to Neil Etheridge who presented his gloves to my 8 year old at the end of the game.A great gesture. He now has a big fan!

There seems to be a good feeling around the club this season!

So that's who it was.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Southend fan saying their supporters clapped at the 38th minute for the Tunisia three and wondered why our fans didn't join in? Did we know or anything else? Case or rather be silent for the minute?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Southend fan saying their supporters clapped at the 38th minute for the Tunisia three and wondered why our fans didn't join in? Did we know or anything else? Case or rather be silent for the minute?

The 38th minute has no significance. None of the unfortunate Walsall victims were that age. No wonder it was greeted with blank looks

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Think it was for the 38 that died? If so, clapping is fudge dire really isn't it? I've not been a fan of the clapping of the Walsall lads, the Oldham minutes silence was spot on and very emotional.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Happy with that. After reading all the wrist-slitting summaries of our season expectations on here I expected a hard draw at best.

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 pm

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Nice little goal from Tom... proper number 9 finish.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Very good performance, inspiring showing since the Oldham game. 5 at the back system worked well today, and I think Deano will not use it as a Plan B, but as a second Plan A. We will switch formations from 433, to 532 to 4231 depending on the opposition and the game, and I think Deano is working a little hard on scouting the operation and dealing with them as well as ourselves.

Most promising thing for me however was that I don't think we ever really broke sweat, and probably had another gear or two to go into.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Plan A: get the ball to Tom
Plan B: GET IT THERE FASTER!
:mrgreen:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:11 am

Another fantastic win let's hope it continues, I'm now sat in a luxurious villa in Alberfeira so life is good.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:20 am

Can't argue with a result like that away from home. In all fairness, you also can't really argue about how spot-on Smith's tactics and team selections have been for the last two games. It would have been easy for him to name an unchanged side after the Forest win.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:15 am

It's very early days but based on the season start I'm pretty confident the league title and Capital One Cup are a given. We're bloody brilliant! :)

In all seriousness good start Deano!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:24 am

What a lovely day out in the sun by the... sea?

God performances all round.

Bradshaw took his goal well although I didn't get too good a view of it and, after a couple of wasted half-hearted attempts so did Mantom.

Bax. was unlucky with a good shot in the second half and so was Cooke.

I couldn't quite work out what system he was playing ( I thought it looked 4 at the back but I overheard someone say 5) but nonetheless, it worked out quite well. When Brown gave Mooney the hook, you just got the distinct impression that they were getting desperate.

Henry, headed one off the line in the second half and Mooney missed a sitter in the first few minutes of the first, apart from that it was plain sailing.

Talking of sailing, well a slightly different tack, we went back to the seafront after the match to grab a few beers and some fish and chips. Then, just after exiting the Slug and Lettuce, we encountered a bloke who was absolutely stark bollock naked who crossed the road and disappeared from view leaving his clothes in a pile on the pavement.

What the fudge was all that about?

Can't make it Tuesday but will be there on Saturday as usual. Two games that will be a good yardstick to this seasons aspirations.

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:19 pm

:lol: offer here,

A great result and a convincing performance, been to Sarfend 5 times, 1st points ever.

Took my Grandson and he was very impressed with the noise in the SHED end.

Great touch by our Goalie to give his gloves to that little chap at the end of the game.

Cannot say more than what has been said but what ever happens to Bradders, Rico and Reece are great little finds..

Think Bradders will stay for a little longer but will not be surprised by a championship club coming in for him in January.
He could easily net a £5k a week wage rise and a nice little signing on fee, £250,000 + for him personally would be very hard to refuse.
Lets hope we are in the hunt for the play offs, only way to keep him.

Great travelling supports as always...

Thank you Walsall F.C. for a great day out..

8) offer

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:37 pm

(memo to other clubs) Forget Tom Bradshaw. Think Jabo Ibehre. (/memo to other clubs)

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Just got home and still smiling after the match. My mate a Southend fan was very impressed with us and it was nice to finally see us win down there.

Good effort by the fans yesterday. We were just approaching the away end when the 1st goal went in and we honestly thought Southend had scored by the cheer that went up. Good sing song.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Been working all weekend so just catching up. Some of the comments from the Southend fans on their shrimpers site make for very happy reading.

Here's one of many;
I can't believe the general lack of acknowledgement on here that Walsall were good.
They basically had 3 at the back , a guy just in front dictating the play and some young , fast attacking players that had great movement.
We were outclassed completely by a very decent side IMO.
Not saying this excuses our team selection or performance , but they were a good team that had an away game won inside 10 minutes - good luck to them , great to watch.

I just hope people don't get carried away and start getting too many expectations of the side. Let's just enjoy these performances and see where we end up. Good to see so many making the trip as well

Can't believe the Southend fans are already questioning the future of Phil Brown, a manager that got them promoted last season! Modern football makes me sick at times these days...just seems to highlight how thick people can really be.

rootshallbloke

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:04 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Southend fan saying their supporters clapped at the 38th minute for the Tunisia three and wondered why our fans didn't join in? Did we know or anything else? Case or rather be silent for the minute?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47265&p=1141797#p1141797

SWS1

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm a bit disappointed at the number of posts on here after what sounds like a really good performance and mainly very positive comments. :?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:53 pm

SWS1 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed at the number of posts on here after what sounds like a really good performance and mainly very positive comments. :?

Come on now Bob, you know very well that our start to the season has forced the doom and gloom merchants into the long grass, and some of them possibly into hibernation. Wait until we lose one (and we will, this is Walsall after all), then they will be out in force with their cries of SMITHOUT. Personally I'm awaiting the return of MPSADDLER - perhaps he can let us know the cumulative situation of his wager offer ("Walsall will get less than 20 points this season, and be relegated"). I think there's a long queue behind me waiting for a piece of that.......... :mrgreen:

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:57 am

Match Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKTaEA_Z9w

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKTaEA_Z9w[/youtube]

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:19 am

SWS1 wrote:I'm a bit disappointed at the number of posts on here after what sounds like a really good performance and mainly very positive comments. :?

The doom and gloom merchants show their true colours when we win or play well as half of em don't even post, let alone congratulate the team. The proper fans post win or lose, and are happy to be proven wrong - those are the people you can take seriously even if their opinions differ to your own.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:51 am

Apart from 15 minutes each half I thought we were very comfortable, some lovely passing football but actually going forward instead of across the halfway line.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:26 pm

2 impressive away wins.

1 dull and predictable home draw.

What's changed from last season? :wink:

Seriously though, good to hear of a couple of good performances this week. Let's hope for a continued run of them.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Special mention to their No. 22 who is trying to revive the 1980s shorts trend. YGA

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Great win at one of our bogey grounds and excellent start to season.

Early days yet and could change quickly as we have seen before with a good run followed by bad run and then another good one,hopefully that will not happen.

Lots of good points 7 goals in 3 games. crab football gone, and looks like a plan B and C would rather win 4-3 than a boring 1-0

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season